This is what justice looks like when defending you, your family or property with a fire arm...

The message being sent here is you can not defend your propriety, with anything, gun, knife , bat anything.....your only action is to call the cops, in my case i live 15 mins out, and thats if they are not already on a call. and when they arrive they take a statement, they will tell you straight out they are way to busy to investigate and the odds of them catching anyone or retrieving your goods is slim to now... thats what insurance is for they say... but they are not paying the increases in your insurance, are they...and they will never give you full value...Just buy a new one they say...I work hard for my money, way to hard to see someone thats to lazy to get a job, just take what they want with no consequences.

This guy shot the very man doing just that being a thief, to lazy to earn his money though honest hard work , instead he took the short cut and decided to just take it...Does he deserve to die for is efforts, no, but when you enter that line of living you take your chances...... and we are suppose to feel sorry for this low life... HE made that choice, HE knew that it could end badly for him...Now he is dead, leaving his family in a lurch as one less earner....he knew this could lead to his death or prison time, and still that did not deter his choices...

In this case justice was not served...only embolden more of his kind to take what they want...

Peter Khill sentenced to 8 years in prison for shooting death of Six Nations man Jon Styres (msn.com)

Very lucky only to get 8 years.  This isn’t the USofA…. in Canada, the defence has to be commensurate with the level of threat.  His life wasn’t in danger, so he didn’t need to kill the guy.  I don’t see anything different about this recent story than several others going back decades.  

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 5:02 PM, Moonbox said:

If his house was broken-in, a self-defence argument could have been made (and they usually succeed).  You can't blow a guy away on your driveway with a shotgun for trying to rob your car.  

No you can't just blow away a guy in your driveway, and the story does not really go into details about what actually happened...But the media is painting this thief as the victim, when he is not a victim. he is no more than a dirty thief who made the choice to steal someone else hard earned money, rather than working hard for his own stuff... he knew the risks , he knew his situation with a family to feed, etc, and he still made the choice to steal what he needed...

I've already said he did not deserve to die for his actions, nor do i think the man stepped out of his home with the intention to kill the thief... this was a accident that went wrong and does not deserve 8 years...there has been lots of criminals that have killed on purpose and got less than 8 years...

16 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

No you can't just blow away a guy in your driveway, and the story does not really go into details about what actually happened...But the media is painting this thief as the victim, when he is not a victim. he is no more than a dirty thief who made the choice to steal someone else hard earned money, rather than working hard for his own stuff... he knew the risks , he knew his situation with a family to feed, etc, and he still made the choice to steal what he needed...

I've already said he did not deserve to die for his actions, nor do i think the man stepped out of his home with the intention to kill the thief... this was a accident that went wrong and does not deserve 8 years...there has been lots of criminals that have killed on purpose and got less than 8 years...

When you fire twice at someone with a shotgun there’s a presumed intent to kill. 

Even being a “dirty thief” doesn’t exempt you from basic rights and make you a disposable person. Anyone who truly believes in the concept of rights should understand that it is impossible for any human being to be deemed disposable or “below the law”.  The shooting was completely unjustified, he is literally the victim…which is not the same as saying he is innocent. 

He could have fired his gun in the air or just yelled and brandished it.   8 years, so he’ll be out on good behaviour in less than 3, he got off easy. 

Edited by BeaverFever

48 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

When you fire twice at someone with a shotgun there’s a presumed intent to kill. 

Even being a “dirty thief” doesn’t exempt you from basic rights and make you a disposable person. Anyone who truly believes in the concept of rights should understand that it is impossible for any human being to be deemed disposable or “below the law”.  The shooting was completely unjustified, he is literally the victim…which is not the same as saying he is innocent. 

He could have fired his gun in the air or just yelled and brandished it.   8 years, so he’ll be out on good behaviour in less than 3, he got off easy. 

We don't know what happened, the story does not lay it out in detail, why was there a need to fire 2 shots... we all assume it was the shooters intent to kill this guy...

I did not say he was below the law, or his rights were taken away from him, nor is it ok to just take something he did not pay for...without consequences... and in this case his life was taken away... don't tell me he did not know about any of the consequences... Did the shooter take the law into his own hands... yes he did , does he deserve to serve 8 years , no he does not... and you can feel sorry for the thief, I don't, he made his choices and pay the price...he is his own victim, of his own choices....

You jump off a building you can't blame the sidewalk for your death...

32 minutes ago, herbie said:

They guy is dead and the other guy didn't even have anything stolen in the end. How much more "victim" can you get?

Had his choice been just to walk on by and not steal anything do you think he would be alive today...So it was his choice to break into this guys truck, he is his own victim...and this time he lost his life...  

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

I suspect you're exaggerating the media's portrayal here.  I doubt very much that a lot of tears and sympathy are spared for a deadbeat car thief, but the focus should be on the man who murdered the other man, and it obviously is.  

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

An accident?  Bringing your shotgun to confront a car thief on your driveway and then blowing the guy away isn't an oopsie.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

I suspect you're exaggerating the media's portrayal here.  I doubt very much that a lot of tears and sympathy are spared for a deadbeat car thief, but the focus should be on the man who murdered the other man, and it obviously is.  

An accident?  Bringing your shotgun to confront a car thief on your driveway and then blowing the guy away isn't an oopsie.  

Am I,  picture of a weeping widow, cries that justice was not served, lots of healing to be down, but it starts with the sentencing...to me it invokes that we should feel sorry for the thief...and the bad guy here is the shooter...How dare he protect what is his....

Like i said before the story does not give out any details on why when or how. Like once confronted did he have a weapon or something considered to be a threat, did he charge him... none of that is mentioned we are left to our own imaginations to assume what happened , in this case we assume the shooter came out with the intention of killing this guy....nothing more... So without that info we really can not say for certain what happened...

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

We don't know what happened, the story does not lay it out in detail, why was there a need to fire 2 shots... we all assume it was the shooters intent to kill this guy...

I did not say he was below the law, or his rights were taken away from him, nor is it ok to just take something he did not pay for...without consequences... and in this case his life was taken away... don't tell me he did not know about any of the consequences... Did the shooter take the law into his own hands... yes he did , does he deserve to serve 8 years , no he does not... and you can feel sorry for the thief, I don't, he made his choices and pay the price...he is his own victim, of his own choices....

You jump off a building you can't blame the sidewalk for your death...

This is Canada and getting blown away by a shotgun for breaking into a car while unarmed is not a logical outcome.   

The jury that convicted him heard all the evidence and we have yet to hear why there was a reason to fire even one warning shot, let alone fire directly at him. Therefore we must assume there was no reason. 

When I was was a teenager my friends and I broke into cars on a couple of occasions…(ok we only rummage through a few unlocked cars, but still the point remains).… getting shot at was never a foreseeable consequence  you cannot in any way compare this to jumping off a building and being surprised by the sidewalk  

Nome of this has nothing to do with “feeling sorry” for the victim. 

Edited by BeaverFever