All schools must comply' – schools get heavy-handed against Pride backlash

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/all-schools-must-comply-schools-get-heavy-handed-against-pride-backlash?s=09

Two provinces have now warned school boards that a failure to properly observe Pride could be illegal

As in-school Pride celebrations face growing signs of backlash across Canada, administrators are responding with stern reminders to school boards that these observations are not optional.

“It is incumbent on all school boards to ensure all students – most especially 2SLGBTQ+ students – feel supported, reflected in their schools, and welcomed within our communities,” Ontario Minister of Education Stephen Lecce wrote in a June 2 statement to kick off Pride Month.

He added, “that includes celebrating Pride.”

On the evening just before June 1, teachers in the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board were sent a lengthy email reminding them that “2SLGBTQ+ representation” in the classroom is a “fundamental human right” protected by law.

“The exclusion or erasure of 2SLGBTQ+ identities from educational materials constitutes a form of discrimination,” it added.

In B.C., Education Minister Rachna Singh opened Pride Month with a lengthy statement detailing how a failure to affirm and recognize students’ gender identity is a violation of the B.C. Human Rights Code.

This isn't going to end well. They're just fueling the fires.

What kind of mental degenerate thinks that you can make people accepting of others at gun point?

You know, I didn't really think or care much about this. Like, okay, big deal. Pride day. But I saw this video in the paper the other day and I found it problematic. You've got a bunch of little kids who don't know what sex is and their school is having this fantabulous celebration as if pride day is the most marvelous, most fantastic, most wonderful thing that ever was. The teachers are all dressed up head to toe, theres rainbows everywhere, flags are flying! It's like I can almost read what the underlying message to the kiddies was without them saying it "Gay is good! Isn't gay fun! You should be gay too! It would be wonderful for you if you were gay! Want to know all about how you can be gay!? If you were gay this would be all about YOU!

And I'm like, yeaahhh, I can see why Muslim parents, and for that matter, tons of others would have an issue with this. It's one thing to teach respect and it's another to tell kids who don't even know what sex or sexuality is that being gay is fantastic fun. And we're doing this for why, exactly? Up until about ten years ago 3% of the population identified as gay or lesbian. Now, for some reason I can't possibly imagine, it's doubled. 

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/status/1665724634120048641?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1665724634120048641|twgr^28cc467346c8bb5bb5ad38fee63a14fd1836c8b9|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnationalpost.com%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2Fall-schools-must-comply-schools-get-heavy-handed-against-pride-backlash

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 2:36 PM, I am Groot said:

And we're doing this for why, exactly? Up until about ten years ago 3% of the population identified as gay or lesbian. Now, for some reason I can't possibly imagine, it's doubled.

Go back another ten years and you'll find it was only 1.5% and so on back to a time where everyone kept their mouths shut.

We're doing it because it's simply the polite thing to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

If it's simply being polite - why is it being driven by force of law?

I guess the force of arseholery is repellant to society

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Is there a law that says we have to be polite?

Not per se, there seems to be enough statutes on the books to make rulings against arseholery possible however. Hopefully precedence is adding more weight to their appropriateness.

9 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I guess the force of arseholery is repellant to society

If that were true trudeau would never have been elected

So i take it you've got nothing there :) 

9 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Not per se, there seems to be enough statutes on the books to make rulings against arseholery possible however. Hopefully precedence is adding more weight to their appropriateness.

Well apperently that's not true, new laws had to be put in that were not about arseholery - they were only about specific people.  I mean - we'd lose the whole liberal party if there were general laws about arseholery.

21 hours ago, eyeball said:

Go back another ten years and you'll find it was only 1.5% and so on back to a time where everyone kept their mouths shut.

We're doing it because it's simply the polite thing to do.

We're required to attend grandiose celebrations of people who are gay because that's the polite thing to do?

17 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

We're required to attend grandiose celebrations of people who are gay because that's the polite thing to do?

No one's forcing you.

Has it every occured to you that people might feel less inclined to be so grandiose in the present if you'd been less impolite in the past?

No one forced you then either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

No one's forcing you.

Has it every occured to you that people might feel less inclined to be so grandiose in the present if you'd been less impolite in the past?

No one forced you then either.

I like being impolite

And this whole topic is ABOUT the compulsion, like even Ontario's allegedly conservative education minister telling school boards that celebrating pride is mandatory and the school board then telling teachers no one is allowed to opt out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I am Groot said:

I like being impolite

And this whole topic is ABOUT the compulsion, like even Ontario's allegedly conservative education minister telling school boards that celebrating pride is mandatory and the school board then telling teachers no one is allowed to opt out.

This is the problem in Canada: There’s only one officially permitted view, the federal Liberal one, even in Conservative provinces.  Most Canadians don’t agree with that view, but they’re scared to say so out loud.  Remarks that leak out among trusted colleagues are self-censored as micro-aggressions.  Watch your local CBC news to listen to the perspective you’re supposed to have but don’t actually believe.  

6 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Most Canadians don’t agree with that view, but they’re scared to say so out loud.

This would be a very convenient excuse to use to dismiss the fact that your opinion is actually the minority, wouldn’t it?   

“Most people are like me… they hate the gays…. they’re just scared to say so”.

12 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

This would be a very convenient excuse to use to dismiss the fact that your opinion is actually the minority, wouldn’t it?   

You can't actually wrap your mind around the possibility someone might be uninterested in celebrating gay pride day, and maybe think little kids are too young to be hectored on this score without hating or even disliking or disapproving of gay people, can you?

29 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Nice try inserting “hate.”  My faith teaches that all people are created in God’s image.  Gay and trans people are just as loved as sis gender and heterosexual people.  The issue is behaviour. Catholicism teaches that sex is a creative act open to creating children and is only permitted in marriage.  Sex only for pleasure’s sake isn’t supported.  It’s why priests must be chaste and why gay marriage isn’t allowed in the Church.  Outside of marriage Catholics are required to be chaste.  Of course many Catholics have sex outside marriage, which is considered sinful.  In Christianity everyone is a sinner.  We strive to be Christ-like and sin no more.  We ask for forgiveness when we make mistakes, and God forgives.  What Catholics are reminded is that we love the sinner but not the sin.  If we start promoting sinful behaviour, we are no longer promoting Catholic values.  Christ is the opposite of hate.

I understand that you don’t believe that as an atheist, but respect my right to my religious beliefs, as I respect your right to your beliefs.  There are many rights to consider, and sometimes there will be incompatibility, which is why we find creative solutions like single-person washrooms.

Don’t expect everyone to agree with the presumptions behind the Pride flag.  Don’t expect everyone to buy into your disparagement of people who disagree with you.  

Edited by Zeitgeist