The Conservative party of Alberta won the provincial election.

I was very happy to see that Danielle Smith of the Conservative party won the Alberta election. I was afraid and concerned that the communist party NDP leader would maybe win the election. The numbers were very close in some polls that were being done during the election campaign. It is a sigh of relief for me to see Smith win. Alberta will now stay communist free and capitalism and freedom will once again reign for the next four more years in Alberta. 

What say you? Anybody happy or sad that D. Smith won the Alberta election? I know that I am very thrilled over Smith winning the election. Over to you. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 9:49 PM, herbie said:

She barely won. In another 4 years, many of the cranky old farts that are stunned enough to think the NDP are communists will be dead.

Stay under the bed and get a bigger gun. We're coming for you next.

Last time i heard , UCP had won a majority government....one does not get a majority government and barely win anything... and in another 4 more years Notley will be in a old age home...

Let's be frank shall we ,nobody is really afraid of any one in the NDP party, atleast not afraid enough to be hiding under the bed with a gun...

Danielle Smith leads UCP to Alberta majority government | CBC News

They didn't "Barely" win.  They won and while it wasn't a landslide it was pretty strong. About 53 percent of the vote to 44 percent.  Not exactly running away with it but not a squeaker.

Here's the thing - that was about as good as it gets for the ndp. You had major scandals.  You had an endless supply of embarrasing things said while Smith was a talk show host. You had wildfires. You had rulings convicting her of wrongdoing. You had tight polling going into it so hte ndp voters were motivated and believed they could win. You had discouraged UCP voters who probably stayed at home.

And they still lost.

We'll see if notley is still in charge when they go again but she's old and haggard and that was a horrible campaign. If Smith gets 4 years to actually work and there isn't an internal war or an oil crash (which doesn't look likely) then i think this is the 'peak' for the ndp for at least one election.

On 6/4/2023 at 11:50 PM, OftenWrong said:

Trudeau barely won. In fact he lost, but for a coalition agreement with NDP, and that just got him a minority government. 

NDP + Trudeau Jnr + BQ, Canada is largely a leftist country - central state control.

In Canada, our opposition is Quebec.

=====

Trudeau Snr famously said: "Create counterweights."

Edited by August1991

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 5:49 PM, herbie said:

She barely won. In another 4 years, many of the cranky old farts that are stunned enough to think the NDP are communists will be dead.

Stay under the bed and get a bigger gun. We're coming for you next.

Hopefully, in 4 years time from now, all of those pro comrades that voted for the NDP comrade party in Alberta will all just disappear and die off before the next election. Those so-called "cranky old farts" are real and true conservatives and conservatism is something that you really have no love for at all. ?

It is hard to believe that there are so many pro communist buffoons living in Alberta today. It looks to me like those buffoons believe in more government, more taxes, and less freedom. The biggest bunch of buffoons living in Alberta today are those living in Edmonton. Those comrades living in Edmonton voted 100% for the NDP communists. such losers. 

2 hours ago, taxme said:

It is hard to believe that there are so many pro communist buffoons living in Alberta today. It looks to me like those buffoons believe in more government, more taxes, and less freedom.

I don't know that i'd jump to that conclusion.  I think that a lot of people had issues with Smith herself. Lets face it - just about every single thing that could go wrong did - she was found guilty of interfering, there were wildfires etc etc etc and  they dug up lots of sketchy stuff she said as a radio host (tho honestly thats what radio hosts do. )

And the UPC has had a bit of a rough go of it in the last few years.

So if she governs well, or even adequately, and 4 years from now they don't have all that to work with and they're still putting forward notley who is hte definition of 'ridden hard and put away wet' already - i think we'll see that a lot more people come back to the ucp.

She fired Hinshaw right away. Possibly her best move, in my opinion. Now if only our illustrious "leader" Doug Moose-Head Ford would have the intellect to see what he needs to do...

But nah. Dofo is not in it to be leader at all. He was propped up by the mob and motorcycle gangs to be the next premier. He simply walked into the job.

52 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

better that than the Chinese Communists in Beijing

Well, I guess I'll have to concede to that one, Dougie93. I'm for moderatly corrupt, stable regimes. 

Better the devil you know.

There is always a deeper hell.

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2023 at 8:49 PM, herbie said:

She barely won.

Still a great achievement for a party that polls said would lose in a landslide for a very long time. In some polls, the WIP got 20% of the vote. In the actual election, they got next to nothing.

All those "cranky old farts" I see here, they support Trudeau and listen to the CBC religiously.

23 hours ago, Canadian_Cavalier said:

Still a great achievement for a party that polls said would lose in a landslide for a very long time. In some polls, the WIP got 20% of the vote. In the actual election, they got next to nothing.

All those "cranky old farts" I see here, they support Trudeau and listen to the CBC religiously.

Especially considering that little trick the CBC pulled  with the 'fake email' that they apologized for AFTER the election.

And she didnt  "BAAARELY" win.  It was a solid win. Notley really ran a moderately bad campaign. And - how the HELL they showed up in teh same outfit to the debates...  i mean it's normal for a conservative to wear blue but what the hell were YOU thinking notley? It was like  watching a couple of flight attendants debate politics.

There's rumours that notley is considering a leadership run after the next federal election if jaggers doesn't perform well (which he won't).