British Cycling bars transgender women from competing in female category

19 hours ago, Contrarian said:

Ok, how would these rules work?

Which panel will decide who competes where to ensure fairness for all, including sports stars that worked their entire life? One has to be fair to the competition as well because it is a professional sports competition, not a cycling club in a backyard.

How would the system work?

I'm confused by your question. The example from this thread is about a single sport, cycling, with a governing body who decided so that would be the example for others to follow.

13 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Heh, I love how desperate you are for my attention. It's cute.

You mean by commenting on your posts, right? And when you come back to me then you want my attention in turn, and that's cute, and we're having a discussion, and that's cute, and so on and so on and so on and so on..

Cute, cute, all around! ?

• Haha 1

Anyway, for those keeping score, @Perspektiv is ostensibly a moralist.. who calls people groomers because they want to teach sex ed, and basic LGBTQ+ awareness.  However, he's also said, in so many words, that he doesn't care about the environment and won't really lift a finger to help out on that front.

So... like a moralist who says shame on people for not caring about the issues that I care about, who don't share my values.

4 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

I was inquiring about this: 

Of course, you're eagle-eyed when looking for me to actually state an opinion and I understand why.

There are indeed sports where testosterone levels and some basic biological factors provide an edge, and indeed even some natural born women have been disqualified in the past. This is why they also ban hormone supplements. I think all of this is completely understandable, and unworthy of being attacked because of one's stance.

Now I can't list which sports we're talking about.. but running, cycling, are included.

Sports where men and women compete together obviously don't need to be considered, nor sports where there are no career implications such as high school volleyball or some such.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

I'm confused by your question. The example from this thread is about a single sport, cycling, with a governing body who decided so that would be the example for others to follow.

The entire discussion is a bit odd.

It was not so long ago that female athletes were disqualified and had medals stripped at the Olympics because they tested positive for too much male testosterone within their system.

Now we are discussing the pros and cons of the Brits saying transgender should be banned and the rights of transgender (male to female) to compete.

Fortunately the "World Athletics has banned transgender women from competing in elite female competitions if they have gone through male puberty, ..."

1 minute ago, ExFlyer said:

The entire discussion is a bit odd.

Yes I think that I covered this angle.  

These decisions mean that the past concern about testosterone levels are brought back, validating the question.

Also means that discussion can happen, and rumours that a shadowy cabal won't allow such discussion are unfounded.

Of course a mob exists, and they include unhinged followers.  But the mob will always be there.  They'll boycott Bud Lite and/or will buy it.

Let's support a public sphere where we ask a little more from participants.

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Anyway, for those keeping score, @Perspektiv is ostensibly a moralist.. who calls people groomers because they want to teach sex ed, and basic LGBTQ+ awareness. 

That appears to be a misrepresentation of his views. But you know that.

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

he's also said, in so many words, that he doesn't care about the environment and won't really lift a finger to help out on that front.

Utterly irrelevent.

• Like 2

Wouldn't people call someone a hypocrite if they moralize and demand that others be consider it when they refuse to do so themselves?

It sure wouldn't fly if a politician tried to say they cared about workers and then laughed at layoffs.  I realize it's an analogy, but not caring about the future of the planet and openly saying so means you don't care about children.

Unless Whitney Houston was lying also.

8 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Wouldn't people call someone a hypocrite if they moralize and demand that others be consider it when they refuse to do so themselves?

It sure wouldn't fly if a politician tried to say they cared about workers and then laughed at layoffs.  I realize it's an analogy, but not caring about the future of the planet and openly saying so means you don't care about children.

No, it's a nonsensical argument and a very common one portrayed by the left.

This is very similar to the "if you don't believe we should ban guns, then you hate children".

there is no logical inconsistency to suggest that you are not concerned or responsible about what the future of the planet is, and still say that you hope that whatever happens future generation find ways to cope and be happy.  I don't spend a moment worrying about the future of africa and couldn't care less, but that doesn't mean i don't hope whoever lives there has a good life such as it is.

16 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Also means that discussion can happen, and rumours

Really, it can happen in Canada, on another issue related to the same topic, calm and weighed, rational and argumented discussion of a complex set of issues directly affecting the community, without personal insults and  mob-style reputation assassination?

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

Am glad everyone else is seeing him having his histrionic fit because I blocked him. 

Kind of sad, really.

You say histrionics, but you banned me when I was asking questions.  I have determined that you are the slipperiest (sp?) poster I have ever encountered on here, who blocks people that try to pin him down.

You make grand moral gestures, pleading that we think of the children and then say you won't do thing one for the environment if it could impact your comfort (!).  Then, later, you say that I dismissed YOU (that's you - the one who blocked me) because I didn't get your "tongue in cheek" comments.

Really baffling, but as I have said if you want to reset and move forward I'm in.  You wouldn't be the first poster who overreacted to my exacting style of posting, and you know it.  

On 5/26/2023 at 1:04 PM, Contrarian said:

I am going to propose a solution that might be laughable to the everyday political man and woman out there, however here it is: 

4 divisions of sports: 

1. men's

2. women's

3. trans men's

4. trans women's. 

Then, if people care about their identity as trans, do the work there and slowly bring forward your ideas, if one drives a fast train into society, then the reaction comes, is just the reality. 

Yes, I would have recommended the same solution.  If anyone is still unhappy they can go and ** themselves (in their respective category of course).

Guessing that a large part of the "fast train" problem is the activist governments. They have no business in "promoting and advancing" the rights. But they have to observe and not violate them, all of them not only selected causes celebre of the day.

Why governments in Canada persistently edge into the matters they have no business being in? Because, increasingly politics in the country are mostly or all about visibility and talking points, not so much the results. "The rights" of certain kinds make great talking points and the appearance of being active and progressive, without any obligation to achieve results. The honeypot cause. Easy.