Trudeau's friend says Trudeau is a wonderful man and there's no need for inquiries

If the self-preserving Liberal-Dem government continues to stonewall, and the appointed rapporteur continues to stonewall, maybe the Government General can dissolve Parliament.  Oh wait, she was appointed by Trudeau too. Also, I think she’s busy finding the highest price catering and clothes lines for her play monarchy.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-if-parliament-has-no-confidence-in-johnston-how-long-can-it-have/

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2023 at 11:12 PM, CdnFox said:

Oh are you done hiding behind justin?  Well it wasn't working well for you was it.

You've been clear. you have contempt for Canada. You don't believe canada is a legitimate country. you have no loyalty or respect for Canada, 

So renounce your citizenship. I mean why would you want to be a citizen of such a terrible place.

Oh yeah - because you want to milk it for the money and all the other benefits being in this great country brings.

Pathetic,  A coward with no conviction or honour.

Not only a cad but a bounder too.

May all your future Christmas presents be socks and your beer be warm and flat.

30 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

Not only a cad but a bounder too.

Boy you sure bring a lot to the discussions here don't you.

30 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

May all your future Christmas presents be socks and your beer be warm and flat.

Give it all to Dougie - he thinks he's British so he'll appreciate that.

Critics say David Johnston was compromised by his deep affection for China

Special rapporteur's personal and professional connections go back decades: 'He’s obviously both in love with and infatuated by the PRC

Three of the former governor general’s five daughters spent at least part of their university years studying in China, he would note, one of them learning to speak Mandarin.

“Johnston said frankly that he has also noticed some changes in his daughters after staying in China,” said a China News Service account of a 2013 speech. “They are more curious, they know how to think critically, and their thinking and vision are more broadened.”

But the Johnston children’s ties to Chinese post-secondary education form just one part of their father’s decades-long, enthusiastic embrace of the People’s Republic of China (PRC).

As the top administrator at two major universities, then the Queen’s representative in Canada, he visited China a dozen times, helped set up a Confucius Institute branch and other co-operative ventures with Chinese universities, encouraged engagement with China even after it detained two seemingly innocent Canadians, and talked of one college there being his “home away from home.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/critics-say-david-johnston-was-compromised-by-his-deep-affection-for-china

3 hours ago, herbie said:

So now he's resigned. We can start all the grumbling and whining all over again from square one.

The guy needed to go man.  Even if you think he was pure as the driven snow as a person his job is not only to investigate but to give people confidence that the issue has been fairly investigated and with his background that just wasn't going to happen. Ties to china and ties to trudeau.

3 hours ago, herbie said:

So now he's resigned. We can start all the grumbling and whining all over again from square one.

Maybe they could try and find someone who looks to be more impartial?   Perhaps an ex-judge or someone like that.  It won’t satisfy the people on this forum, but would look better to reasonable thinkers, wouldn’t you say?

7 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Maybe they could try and find someone who looks to be more impartial?   Perhaps an ex-judge or someone like that.  It won’t satisfy the people on this forum, but would look better to reasonable thinkers, wouldn’t you say?

An inquiry satisfies everyone.  Strange that you're so opposed to an obvious solution that's to everyone's liking other than the liberal party.

So Johnson has decided he doesn't need this shit. Can't say I blame him, he was in a no win situation from the beginning.

An enquiry will settle nothing, much of the information is classified and can't be made public, plus the opposition leaders refuse to get the security clearances that would allow them to see it. Just more political theatre with the public the loser.

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

So Johnson has decided he doesn't need this shit. Can't say I blame him, he was in a no win situation from the beginning.

An enquiry will settle nothing, much of the information is classified and can't be made public, plus the opposition leaders refuse to get the security clearances that would allow them to see it. Just more political theatre with the public the loser.

The biggest losers here are Chinese Canadians along with other ethnic Canadians who can't count on Canada if they run afoul of foreign governments, especially those of authoritarian dictatorships.

By far what disturbs me most is the suggestion and appearance that this foreign interference is usually overlooked if not allowed because it benefits the overlookers and allowers.

That we wound up with such a politicized system of government where this can even occur speaks loudest to us the public being far too lax in our oversight of our government.

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

Absolutely - i'm mildly amazed he didn't refuse it then.  Needed the money i guess.

That is absolutely not how it works. This is far from the first public enquiry dealing with classified information.

An inquiry would solve a number of things and answer a number of questions that the public will get to see. But most of all it will be seen as being as non partisan and complete as it's reasonably possible to get.

However - the last thing the liberals want is a number of things answered.   Such as when they knew things and what they did.

So it won't happen. He'll look for someone less blatantly partisan in appearance and appoint him as the next rappateur supremo muggins to try to make this go away.

15 hours ago, herbie said:

Right. Once Trudeau appoints his wife or brother to do the hearings.

And you'll be here to defend him.

11 hours ago, Aristides said:

This message brought to you by the Liberal Party of Canada

• Like 1

And still. being unable to discuss the guy's findings, we continue to attack his character.

To the point of the most recent, pointing out that in the past when the man spent time doing his job, building trade and relations with China as was our political policy at the time - he's now "a China lover", "beholden to the CCP"

No one in their right mind would take over a position where no one's serious about anything other than making partisan hay rather than results.

57 minutes ago, herbie said:

And still. being unable to discuss the guy's findings, we continue to attack his character.

To the point of the most recent, pointing out that in the past when the man spent time doing his job, building trade and relations with China as was our political policy at the time - he's now "a China lover", "beholden to the CCP"

No one in their right mind would take over a position where no one's serious about anything other than making partisan hay rather than results.

I get what you're saying but you've also indicated an inquiry to get to the bottom of interference will be as apparently useless as a foreign agent registry will be at preventing interference.  So what do you think should be done?

The type of people crying about China lovers now used to call me a commie and traitor for suggesting no truck nor trade with China back in the day. Oddly enough and despite the fact Xi Jinping would have me shot for my views now I'm a commie for wanting to pivot the relationship that exists between governed and government.

It's pretty comical actually.

2 hours ago, herbie said:

The guy knew that's how it would be - are you saying he's not in his right mind? Then why was he selected at all?

17 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

The guy knew that's how it would be - are you saying he's not in his right mind? Then why was he selected at all?

Life's full of choices, Johnston made a bad one.  You'd think he'd be smart enough to see the end result of his bad choice . . . . oh well, he willingly laid under the bus for Justin.  Johnston was supposedly a 'smart guy' but couldn't put his shoes on the right feet.

1 minute ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Life's full of choices, Johnston made a bad one.  You'd think he'd be smart enough to see the end result of his bad choice . . . . oh well, he willingly laid under the bus for Justin.  Johnston was supposedly a 'smart guy' but couldn't put his shoes on the right feet.

I dont know what he got paid, but i suspect it must have been a boatload.

So just keep it up. Now after a lifetime of civil service, he might have accepted because of what he was paid?

You want to listen to a guy shooting off his fat mouth in Parliament who won't get vetted because then he couldn't tell you either? Or worse, have to agree with Johnsons findings?

Just now, herbie said:

So just keep it up. Now after a lifetime of civil service, he might have accepted because of what he was paid?

After a life time of service (for which he was VERY well paid)  he sure didn't do it because he thought it would end well. He'd be too smart for that.

So if he didn't do it for money then what? You're thinking maybe a family favour to trudeau? They were buds.

You want to listen to a guy shooting off his fat mouth in Parliament who won't get vetted because then he couldn't tell you either?

Well that totally made sense and i completely understand what you're saying. Honest.

• 2 weeks later...