Why Canada Sucks Now

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

Climate change is the best scam going.  A theoretical problem with theoretical solutions that cause real poverty.  Canadians pay through the nose to fight “climate change” while the Yanks don’t and China builds a coal plant every week.  So dumb.

Especially with us providing so much coal.

Why are you guys so worried about climate change given Canada is such a dog f**ker about it? Unless I'm mistaken we're still spewing more this year than last and more last year than the year before that and etc etc ad nauseam....

38 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Especially with us providing so much coal.

Do you think the world would be a better place if we refused to supply coal? It's one of the most common industrial/energy products and is plentiful around the world. If China didn't buy it from us it'd buy it from Australia or Russia or a dozen other countries.

5 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Do you think the world would be a better place if we refused to supply coal? It's one of the most common industrial/energy products and is plentiful around the world. If China didn't buy it from us it'd buy it from Australia or Russia or a dozen other countries.

Yes I do. The world is always a better  place when more people do the appropriate thing.

Of course I would have stopped shipping coal to places like China on general human rights principles decades ago. I'd also have applied a tarrif on goods from countries that cater to dictators and built a trading bloc composed of like minded countries.

You guys used the exact same arguments against taking a more principled stand when I suggested this decades ago around here.

Our grandparents sacrificed some 40% of their GDP doing the appropriate thing to make the world a better place and Canada should be known for punching above it's weight all the time everywhere.

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

The price tag.  We're paying a hell of a lot of money and directly and indirectly for that canine coitus. 

Well, I'd suggest exchanging fossil fuel subsidies for taxes but that usually goes over like a lead ballon too.

32 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Well, I'd suggest exchanging fossil fuel subsidies for taxes but that usually goes over like a lead ballon too.

And why would you suggest that? It woulnd't work either. Which is probably why it's not received well.

The carbon tax doesn't fight climate change. The carbon tax is  just a tax for the liberals, where they keep large hunks of the money and impoverish people - the lower income people the most - and then pretend to look like a savior when they give a small portion back, and the poor people are supposed to say 'we can't afford NOT to vote for these guys - someone else will take it away", not realizing they only need it because the libs robbed them blind in the first place.

16 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

The carbon tax doesn't fight climate change. The carbon tax is  just a tax for the liberals....

Certainly not with Liberals in charge. That said it seems like a small price to pay for inaction. I mean emissions are still going up, the income/wealth gap is still growing...what is there to complain about?

Conservatives are better at these? Ok.

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

Certainly not with Liberals in charge. That said it seems like a small price to pay for inaction. I mean emissions are still going up, the income/wealth gap is still growing...what is there to complain about?

Conservatives are better at these? Ok.

No tax and doing nothing would be way better than getting taxed for doing nothing :)

4 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

No tax and doing nothing would be way better than getting taxed for doing nothing :)

Yabut my kids and grandkids will never let me live it down. The only reason they let me get away with burning a couple hundred liters of fuel a day are high speed donuts when they come along for the ride.

51 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Yabut my kids and grandkids will never let me live it down. The only reason they let me get away with burning a couple hundred liters of fuel a day are high speed donuts when they come along for the ride.

Just tell them you bought some 'carbon credits' and flash them some canadian tire money. They'll go for it,

10 hours ago, eyeball said:

You guys used the exact same arguments against taking a more principled stand when I suggested this decades ago around here.

Because it would cost us money while accomplishing nothing. I'm not into virtue signalling.

Just now, I am Groot said:

Because it would cost us money while accomplishing nothing. I'm not into virtue signalling.

Want to bet? PP will signal that Conservatives are virtuous about climate change too.  I'm not aware of any plans to abandon climate action if Conservatives are elected are you? 

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

Want to bet? PP will signal that Conservatives are virtuous about climate change too.  I'm not aware of any plans to abandon climate action if Conservatives are elected are you? 

AFAIK know he has said he'd remove the carbon tax. But regardless, there are political promises made before an election and then there's what's done after. Trudeau's pursuit of climate action has little to do with accomplishing anything other than making himself look good to liberal and possibly liberal voters. I don't think he honestly gives a damn about climate change.

14 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

AFAIK know he has said he'd remove the carbon tax. But regardless, there are political promises made before an election and then there's what's done after. Trudeau's pursuit of climate action has little to do with accomplishing anything other than making himself look good to liberal and possibly liberal voters. I don't think he honestly gives a damn about climate change.

And PP honestly does? BS, he's concerned about the same thing Trudeau is - power.  Poilievre will signal his climate change virtue to get it and so will his supporters.

It's just how politics rolls.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

And PP honestly does? BS, he's concerned about the same thing Trudeau is - power.  Poilievre will signal his climate change virtue to get it and so will his supporters.

It's just how politics rolls.

Well its possible - Harper didn't "Signal", he just "Did" things.  And emissions plummeted under his watch.  And nobody gave him an ounce of credit. He did more without making any committments than any liberal ever elected by miles. And nobody cared.

So it kind of sounds like the lefties don't ACTUALLY WANT anything done about climate change. They JUST want to hear promises, they don't want to actually see results.

So PP would be pretty stupid not to give the people what they're asking for.  Deep down i think people know there's nothing Canada can do so they just want to FEEL like they care.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

When Pierre Poilievre has been asked the hard questions, he's answered them straightaway, and on camera.  All archived for your viewing pleasure.  Also, why would Pierre Poilievre lay out his complete election platform so early before a federal election?  So Trudeau's puppetmaster(s) have an idea of how to fix the country they've abused so badly?

You're above statement is typical for a displaced Liberal who has moved westward.  Are you on the dole now?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

When Pierre Poilievre has been asked the hard questions, he's answered them straightaway, and on camera.  All archived for your viewing pleasure.  Also, why would Pierre Poilievre lay out his complete election platform so early before a federal election?  So Trudeau's puppetmaster(s) have an idea of how to fix the country they've abused so badly?

Good for him, there's a chance I'd vote for him if it wasn't for the most vocal base of his support, which gives me a better idea of what sort of expectations Poilievre will be virtue signalling and catering to.  If Michael Chong was the leader of the opposition however or if Poilievre lets it be known Chong will be very highly placed in cabinet there'd be no question who I'd be voting for.

You're above statement is typical for a displaced Liberal who has moved westward. 

No it isn't, that's just a stupid voice in your head saying that.

Are you on the dole now?

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let me collect dole.  I suspect the cutoff is probably more than the allowance your mom gives you but welfare for the wealthy likely doesn't kick in until you're worth millions and millions so....no.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well its possible - Harper didn't "Signal", he just "Did" things.  And emissions plummeted under his watch.  And nobody gave him an ounce of credit. He did more without making any committments than any liberal ever elected by miles. And nobody cared.

'Plummeted' by a whole 7 tons during his watch - a dip credited to a deep economic slowdown caused by a banking collapse. Oh, and Ontario closed a coal power plant.

Yawn.

So it kind of sounds like the lefties don't ACTUALLY WANT anything done about climate change. They JUST want to hear promises, they don't want to actually see results.

From where I'm sitting Liberals like Conservatives are a lot more interested in the distribution of power which makes them both right-wing according to the original meaning of the terms right and left wing that I subscribe to.

Whatever else I might seem to you the political divide I care most about isn't ideological at all - it's between those who govern and those who are governed.

So PP would be pretty stupid not to give the people what they're asking for.

Which you've said is more empty promises.  It'll be the same with crime and homelessness too once the cost of cracking down on these is apparent.

Deep down i think people know there's nothing Canada can do so they just want to FEEL like they care.

I think you're wrong as evidenced by your misperception of what a lefty is. You simply can't think straight when you're that ideologically polarized, no one can.

Most people do hope for action but the hope is slipping away. I think more people will be positioning themselves the best they can to survive plunging off the cliff edge we're approaching at speed.

• Like 1

Good for him, there's a chance I'd vote for him if it wasn't for the most vocal base of his support, which gives me a better idea of what sort of expectations Poilievre will be virtue signalling and catering to.  If Michael Chong was the leader of the opposition however or if Poilievre lets it be known Chong will be very highly placed in cabinet there'd be no question who I'd be voting for.

Ahhhhh yes - the liberals always say this :)

Just admit you won't vote conservative and lets move on.

No it isn't, that's just a stupid voice in your head saying that.

(actually he's got a point.)

41 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Ahhhhh yes - the liberals always say this :)

Just admit you won't vote conservative and lets move on.

(actually he's got a point.)

It's the same stupid point you make, that anyone who isn't a hard-boiled conservative is a liberal or commie or any number of variants thereof.  You guys seem to come up with stupid qualifiers and labels on a regular basis. libbies...Tweenkies etc etc.  

As for this banana doofus he seems to have some weird issue with people who came from Ontario 50 years ago - sorta like you I guess.

• Like 1

It's the same stupid point you make,

The point was about you.  I wouldn't say you're a STUPID point - just a point :)

that anyone who isn't a hard-boiled conservative is a liberal or commie or any number of variants thereof. 

Yeah, i've never actually said anything like that.  But don't let facts hold you back - keep going!

You guys seem to come up with stupid qualifiers and labels on a regular basis. libbies...Tweenkies etc etc.  

Well i almost never say 'lib' anything unless i'm specifically referring to the liberal party and then the short form 'libs' or 'libbies' is just a short form.  Nothing to get your panties in a knot over. I don't know where tweenkies comes from.

As for this banana doofus he seems to have some weird issue with people who came from Ontario 50 years ago - sorta like you I guess.

My issue is with people who lie or can't do math. That's pretty much true no matter where they come from :)

12 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

The point was about you.  I wouldn't say you're a STUPID point - just a point :)

But more to the point I'm not a hard-boiled conservative. That's all that matters.

Yeah, i've never actually said anything like that.  But don't let facts hold you back - keep going!

Well i almost never say 'lib' anything unless i'm specifically referring to the liberal party and then the short form 'libs' or 'libbies' is just a short form.  Nothing to get your panties in a knot over.

So anything as in nothing, never...almost...? 

I don't know where tweenkies comes from.

Comes from other hard-boiled guys like you.

My issue is with people who lie or can't do math. That's pretty much true no matter where they come from :)

You certainly have your issues alright. That's always obvious no matter where you're coming from.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, eyeball said:

But more to the point I'm not a hard-boiled conservative. That's all that matters.

true. You're just a running yoke ;)

So anything as in nothing, never...almost...? 

You ok there little guy?  I think the effort of trying to imagine fake things to be outraged about has strained your brain :)

Comes from other hard-boiled guys like you.

Probably true then.

You certainly have your issues alright. That's always obvious no matter where you're coming from.

Yep - liars, frauds, losers, !diots - they all annoy me.  Basically lefties like you :) 

• Haha 1

Sabrina Maddeaux: Canada Day virtue signalling shows how far we've fallen

The recent wave of cancellations embodies Canada’s derailment from the tracks of common-sense decision making and good governance

Published May 27, 2023

Another day, another Canada Day cancellation. In the last two weeks, three major cities scrapped celebrations of our country’s national day. First, Calgary, then Toronto and Vancouver.

Each municipality had its reasons and, in each case, those reasons embody Canada’s recent derailment from the tracks of common-sense decision making and good governance.

Maybe you like fireworks; maybe you think they’re loud nuisances we could do without. But this isn’t about bursts of light in the night sky — it’s about a country that’s so broken, it’s unwilling, or unable, to celebrate its very existence.

In Calgary, the city listed several reasons for downgrading its traditional fireworks display to an “enhanced pyrotechnic show,” including noise and overcrowding, as well as it being the 100th anniversary of the Chinese Exclusion Act, which barred nearly all Chinese immigrants from 1923 to 1947. The city also cited sensitivities around truth and reconciliation, with one councillor mentioning “racism” and “colonialism” as reasons not to celebrate.

The problem: there’s little to no evidence that either Chinese or Indigenous communities asked the city to nix Canada Day fireworks. Coun. Sean Chu told CTV, “I have spoken to many leaders in the Chinese community and everybody says the same thing, ‘Oh we didn’t know anything about it.’ ”

He continued, “If we’re going to use the 100 years of the Chinese Exclusion Act as a reason, at least we tell the community or ask them, ‘Is this appropriate?’ ”

Yes, one would think the logical response to excluding and disenfranchising minority communities in the past would be to … well, include and empower them. But not in today’s Canada. Nowadays, politicians care much less about what marginalized groups actually think, feel, want or need. Instead, they engage in empty, even counterproductive, virtue signalling.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/canada-day-virtue-signalling-shows-how-far-weve-fallen

Edited by Dougie93