Canada's Military - Remarkable

On 5/22/2023 at 8:55 PM, Army Guy said:

Not true at all, Canada's has a force that a small percentage can speak both official languages, That being said the official language of the CF is English...You may find that official communications within 5 Brigade, CFB Val Cartier may be in French, when operating among themselves .but once the other English Brigades combine English is the main official language spoken over all communication modes.

And Army Guy, you guys want to show Ukrainians how to fight Russians.

But you can't even speak French.

===

Do you know what "U Krai" means in any Slavic language?

Edited by August1991

16 hours ago, August1991 said:

I agree with Chretien. He was correct to object to Bush Jnr and the invasion of Iraq.

=====

Canada's military is remarkable - like our federal police.

It works in two languages.

I spent 35 years in the Military and only when I worked in NDHQ (and I worked from one end of the country to the other and from top to bottom of this land) did I need french and then it was to appease as oppose to being needed. Even SAR in Quebec was in english.

The money wasted on french language training, translation of documents, and bilingualization is not only a huge waste, it is depriving desperately needed funding for support to the troops.

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2023 at 7:01 PM, ExFlyer said:

Do a little research and find out how long indigenous have been removed form families and sent to residential schools and why.

Then your questions will be answered.

I did. You didn't. 

Was made mandatory in 1920.  Ended in 1951. 

Btw, it wasn't even necessarily mandatory. The change to the Indian act actually made it mandatory for native kids to attend either a residential school or a day school. By 1951 a LOT more day schools had been built and very few kids were still in residential schools. The act was repealed and replaced with a different one which no longer required native kids to attend residential schools, though some did anyway.  Many more day schools were constructed during the 1950s.

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/25/2023 at 4:17 PM, ExFlyer said:

You are so single and simple minded by making statements like this.

"forcibly removed from their homes and sent to boarding schools against their family’s will, where they’re beaten for speaking English, or sent to be raised in non-English families.  " is a CANADIAN policy. "The first boarding schools for Indigenous children in what would become Canada were established by Roman Catholic missionaries in 17th century colonial New France" and then It was approved and in effect and used by every government and opposition since 1883.

There is enough shame for every Canadian politician

You are such a walking, talking cliche of headline knowledge with no background details!

Yes, indeed, schools were established, in part because natives ASKED FOR THEM! But attendance was NOT mandatory until a change made to the Indian Act in 1920. And that act was repealed in 1951. 

16 hours ago, August1991 said:

Neither do the Americans but they seem to be doing a decent job showing Ukrainians how to fight Russians.

• Sad 1

the most remarkable Highlander to ever serve in my Rifle Section

Corporal Ainsworth Dyer

Killed at Tarnak Farms

17 April 2002

after Direct Entry to the Regular Force

with Parachute Company, 3rd Battalion. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

Dileas Gu Brath - Victoria Patricia

80001600_2.jpg

buried at the Toronto Necropolis in Cabbagetown

where I stood at attention while the burial party lowered him into the grave

at a truly beautiful resting place, next to Riverdale Farm

30867421196_fb80a99fae_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, August1991 said:

===

Do you know what "U Krai" means in any Slavic language?

Not sure what speaking French has to do with training Ukrainians...Nothing really, and yet the Canadian Armed forces has managed to train well over 30,000 Ukrainians...how did they do that was it magic.... It really is not that hard through translators...same as we used in Afghanistan when we trained more than 50,000 Afghan army persons...

I personal have not trained Ukrainians, nor have i made that claim.... It is you making all the false claims.....Already enough false news about the CF out there, we don't need any more.... 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Yes, indeed, schools were established, in part because natives ASKED FOR THEM! But attendance was NOT mandatory until a change made to the Indian Act in 1920. And that act was repealed in 1951. 

Glad you agree with me and the link I provided. :)

Edited by ExFlyer

4 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Glad you agree with me and the link I provided. :)

You provided no links, just a demand everyone wail and rend their flesh in guilt and shame because a portion of native children were forced to go to residential schools during a thirty year period a century ago.

2 hours ago, I am Groot said:

You provided no links, just a demand everyone wail and rend their flesh in guilt and shame because a portion of native children were forced to go to residential schools during a thirty year period a century ago.

Glad you agree with me

It's OK to be incorrect, don't fret. :)

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/residential-schools

Edited by ExFlyer

On 5/27/2023 at 7:19 AM, ExFlyer said:

I spent 35 years in the Military and only when I worked in NDHQ (and I worked from one end of the country to the other and from top to bottom of this land) did I need french and then it was to appease as oppose to being needed. Even SAR in Quebec was in english.

The money wasted on french language training, translation of documents, and bilingualization is not only a huge waste, it is depriving desperately needed funding for support to the troops.

ExFlyer, you misunderstand my point. I agree that it is costly.

The fact that Canada's military functions in two languages is both remarkable - and enlightening.

On 5/27/2023 at 6:04 PM, Army Guy said:

Not sure what speaking French has to do with training Ukrainians...Nothing really, and yet the Canadian Armed forces has managed to train well over 30,000 Ukrainians...how did they do that was it magic.... It really is not that hard through translators...same as we used in Afghanistan when we trained more than 50,000 Afghan army persons...

I personal have not trained Ukrainians, nor have i made that claim.... It is you making all the false claims.....Already enough false news about the CF out there, we don't need any more.... 

Army Guy,

"Through translators." As you well know, modern military bureaucracies/systems function in one single language.

Yet, if this whole idea of a post-national, civilised system is going to work, it will require a military that functions in several languages.

Prior to 1914, the Austrian Empire had a military/bureaucracy that managed in several languages.

We in Canada today have done the same. 

On 5/24/2023 at 9:45 PM, Army Guy said:

Actually Canada has French speaking units at brigade level since WWI, not sure why you give Diefenbaker, or Trudeau snr credit for doing that.

Diefenbaker named Georges Vanier as Governor-General.

Trudeau Snr forced our military to function in two languages.

Edited by August1991