Canada's Military - Remarkable

5 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

No, there is no such policy. Call me when English Canadian children are forcibly removed from their homes and sent to boarding schools against their family’s will, where they’re beaten for speaking English, or sent to be raised in non-English families. 

This has been the policy of the Liberals for decades now, starting with Trudeau the Elder, and meant to make TROC more palatable to the delicate, dainty, refined tastes of Quebec's Francophones. 

I realize such things are of no interest to you since, like Trudeau, you're proud of a country that is not a nation and has no 'core identity' but the rest of us have concerns.

10 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Denying basic reality.  Cool.  

Basic reality? WTF are you even talking about? How old are you? I don't ask that as an insult, but it's clear you don't have any familiarity with the Canada of say fifty years ago or with the actions and behaviour of Trudeau's father.

13 hours ago, myata said:

How would it fight now, in a real war is a big question mark.

HM Royal Canadian Infantry Corps is elite

by maintaining an unbroken lineage

of institutional knowledge & esprit de corps

spirit of the Canadian Corps

the best small army in the world

to win the Great War in a Hundred Days

from Amiens to Mons

hear the pipes skirl

6 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Basic reality? WTF are you even talking about? How old are you? I don't ask that as an insult, but it's clear you don't have any familiarity with the Canada of say fifty years ago or with the actions and behaviour of Trudeau's father.

What does that have to do with how the Indigenous were mishandled?  ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

are there any non Guards Grenadier regiments left ?

I guess not

22 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

the only Fusiliers I can think of are in Quebec

I know of 2:

The Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada (Ontario) - to be fair you mentioned Highland regiments

The Princess Louise Fusiliers (Nova Scotia)

9 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

I guess not

last was The Winnipeg Grenadiers

raised on 1 April 1908, relegated to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 28 February 1965

most storied soldier is Company Sergeant Major John Robert Osborne

posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross

for throwing himself upon a hand grenade

at Hong Kong, 19 December 1941

Edited by Dougie93

6 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

by maintaining an unbroken lineage

of institutional knowledge & esprit de corps

Ok, ok the country is full of these greatest things. Greatest governments, greatest courts, greatest services everything greatest ever and across, let's just see it.

On 5/22/2023 at 8:55 PM, Army Guy said:

Not true at all, Canada's has a force that a small percentage can speak both official languages, That being said the official language of the CF is English...You may find that official communications within 5 Brigade, CFB Val Cartier may be in French, when operating among themselves .but once the other English Brigades combine English is the main official language spoken over all communication modes.

All true.

But Canada - since Diefenbaker and Trudeau Snr - has managed a military in two languages.

The US military cannot do that. 

5 hours ago, myata said:

Ok, ok the country is full of these greatest things. Greatest governments, greatest courts, greatest services everything greatest ever and across, let's just see it.

I'm simply pointing out the only remarkable thing about the Canadian military

it's not a tank army, it's not an artillery army

it's an infantry army,

the whole force is built around the infantry

Canada has elite infantry, remarkably elite

otherwise, the Canadian military is only remarkable for being very poorly equipped

practically no tanks, no artillery, no firepower,  nor a logistics tail,

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada has elite infantry, remarkably elite

You know what I only want to be open, fair and honest here. Putin said all those things about his army and we know, like in "can see" what it was worth. So again: how do we know?

14 hours ago, Moonbox said:

What does that have to do with how the Indigenous were mishandled?  ?

We aren't speaking of Canada's indigenous being mishandled. We're speaking of the way the Liberals set about severing English Canadians from their historical past and institutions in hopes of pleasing Quebec.

9 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

We aren't speaking of Canada's indigenous being mishandled. We're speaking of the way the Liberals set about severing English Canadians from their historical past and institutions in hopes of pleasing Quebec.

grootsilly.thumb.png.9bfac252a699ff79390f37ff03ba403d.png

Maybe I missed something about that little exchange, or misread.  

Edited by Moonbox
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

grootsilly.thumb.png.9bfac252a699ff79390f37ff03ba403d.png

Maybe I missed something about that little exchange, or misread.  

Your previous exchange with me was about my statement regarding applying Trudeau's definition of cultural genocide to English Canadians. Now you've jumped back into a different topic. If you think we are guilty of ACTUAL genocide on natives (which even Trudeau doesn't claim) please show me some evidence of it. Also, please explain why there are so many natives still around. It's a moronic claim. 

Edited by I am Groot

Just now, I am Groot said:

Your previous exchange with me was about my statement regarding applying Trudeau's definition of cultural genocide to English Canadians. Now you've jumped back into a different topic.

No, my first statement to you in this thread was the one I just posted there.  

Just now, I am Groot said:

Yes, if you think we are guilty of ACTUAL genocide on natives please show me some evidence of it. Also, please explain why there are so many natives still around.

What, it's only genocide if you catch'em all?  ?

As for examples of actual genocide, displacing the indigenous from their homes in favor of settlers and funneling them into reserves by itself would probably qualify, and if it didn't then the residential schools definitely did.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, myata said:

You know what I only want to be open, fair and honest here. Putin said all those things about his army and we know, like in "can see" what it was worth. So again: how do we know?

oh, I am not saying the Canadian military is prepared to fight a war

obviously not, the force overall is a shambles

all I'm saying is that the Canadian infantry institutional knowledge and esprit de corps is elite

but in terms of combined arms, all the other arms have been neglected to the point of collapse

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, August1991 said:

All true.

But Canada - since Diefenbaker and Trudeau Snr - has managed a military in two languages.

The US military cannot do that. 

Actually Canada has French speaking units at brigade level since WWI, not sure why you give Diefenbaker, or Trudeau snr credit for doing that. Having two languages is not only expensive, as everything had to be translated, all books and pubs, messages, not to mention the cost of teaching French/ English to those that need it during that time that person is away from his or her unit. ... not to mention every trades course or recruit training needs to be done in 2 official languages, one separate course for English, another for French these course can run unto a year long,

US military was the ones that invented the process of using unknown dialects and languages to talk during the pacific campaign during WWII called "code talkers" US military has spent a lot of time and money to teach their soldiers dozens of languages that they may find on the battle field. while not everyone gets this training , Canada does not give it to everyone either.   

• Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 10:51 AM, Moonbox said:

No, my first statement to you in this thread was the one I just posted there.  

What, it's only genocide if you catch'em all?  ?

As for examples of actual genocide, displacing the indigenous from their homes in favor of settlers and funneling them into reserves by itself would probably qualify, and if it didn't then the residential schools definitely did.  

Bullshit. Even Trudeau doesn't call that genocide. Even the natives (except the crazy ones) don't call it genocide. And anyone whose ancestors suffered from real genocide, or a real attempt at genocide would spit in your face for using such a comparison.

The only way that desperately woke accusation works is if you agree that every nation on earth throughout all of history, and that includes every native tribe here has practiced genocide. Mind you, rather than 'funneling them onto reserves' most of them just slaughtered their enemies or whoever was on the land they wanted indiscriminately But I guess it's only 'genocide' if white people do it. 

Edited by I am Groot

44 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Bullshit. Even Trudeau doesn't call that genocide. Even the natives (except the crazy ones) don't call it genocide. And anyone whose ancestors suffered from real genocide, or a real attempt at genocide would spit in your face for using such a comparison.

Well isn't that an exercise in self-confirming logic?  "Only the crazies disagree with me".  

As for comparisons, I never made any.  The term genocide isn't exclusively reserved for death camps and forced mass-migration rape and murder etc.  Acknowledging more insidious methods of genocide doesn't somehow minimize that.  The idea that there are holocaust survivors or Armenian grandpas getting their panties twisted saying, "No no no!  That's OUR WORD" is just another one of your hysterical culture-warrior cries.  

28 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Well isn't that an exercise in self-confirming logic?  "Only the crazies disagree with me".  

As for comparisons, I never made any.  The term genocide isn't exclusively reserved for death camps and forced mass-migration rape and murder etc.  Acknowledging more insidious methods of genocide doesn't somehow minimize that.  The idea that there are holocaust survivors or Armenian grandpas getting their panties twisted saying, "No no no!  That's OUR WORD" is just another one of your hysterical culture-warrior cries.  

Suppose you now tell me what nations of the world did NOT commit genocide by your new, expanded definition. I'd be deeply and earnestly interested in hearing it, Mr. Moonbeam.

26 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Suppose you now tell me what nations of the world did NOT commit genocide by your new, expanded definition. I'd be deeply and earnestly interested in hearing it, Mr. Moonbeam.

It's not my definition.  It's the United Nation's. 

As for examples, I'm sure you could find examples of it in every single part of the world depending on how far back you go (including our First Nations).  "Everyone else was doing it" is something we learn as juveniles doesn't work as a defense.  This is something to acknowledge and remember as a lesson for what not to do.  

You seem to take it as a grave personal affront for some reason.  ?‍♂️

Edited by Moonbox

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

It's not my definition.  It's the United Nation's. 

As for examples, I'm sure you could find examples of it in every single part of the world depending on how far back you go (including our First Nations).  "Everyone else was doing it" is something we learn as juveniles doesn't work as a defense.  This is something to acknowledge and remember as a lesson for what not to do.  

You seem to take it as a grave personal affront for some reason.  ?‍♂️

No. I take it as an insult to Canada, to Canadians, to our history and traditions. And yes, 'everyone does it' is, in fact, a defense when EVERYONE DOES IT. If Canada acted better than almost everyone else and no worse than most then that's a pretty good thing to chalk up on the history page. It's certainly not something for continuous hand-wringing, guilt, shame, and handing over vast sums of cash to every native with a sob story (unverified). 

As you are a progressive, I get that any sense of affiliation or protectiveness or sense of pride in Canada is a confusing thing to you. But conservatives tend to feel otherwise. An attack on a nation is an attack on all its members, so to speak.

Of course, if you believe we're not a nation, as your prime minister does, then that would just confuse you too.

On 5/23/2023 at 12:54 PM, I am Groot said:

This has been the policy of the Liberals for decades now, starting with Trudeau the Elder, and meant to make TROC more palatable to the delicate, dainty, refined tastes of Quebec's Francophones. 

I realize such things are of no interest to you .......

Basic reality? WTF are you....

You are so single and simple minded by making statements like this.

"forcibly removed from their homes and sent to boarding schools against their family’s will, where they’re beaten for speaking English, or sent to be raised in non-English families.  " is a CANADIAN policy. "The first boarding schools for Indigenous children in what would become Canada were established by Roman Catholic missionaries in 17th century colonial New France" and then It was approved and in effect and used by every government and opposition since 1883.

There is enough shame for every Canadian politician

50 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

You are so single and simple minded by making statements like this.

"forcibly removed from their homes and sent to boarding schools against their family’s will, where they’re beaten for speaking English, or sent to be raised in non-English families.

Meh. This was a policy for about thirty years before being repealed. During that time maybe one-third of native kids went to residential schools. And most of their parents wanted them there, recognizing that only through education did they have a chance of prospering.

Attendance at school was mandatory for white kids, too, btw. If you didn't send your kid to school the government would take them away from you. And you were beaten at schools for almost any deviation from rules, be it a residential or white school.

50 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

There is enough shame for every Canadian politician

Why?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

Meh. This was a policy for about thirty years before being repealed. During that time maybe one-third of native kids went to residential schools. And most of their parents wanted them there, recognizing that only through education did they have a chance of prospering.

Attendance at school was mandatory for white kids, too, btw. If you didn't send your kid to school the government would take them away from you. And you were beaten at schools for almost any deviation from rules, be it a residential or white school.

Why?

Do a little research and find out how long indigenous have been removed form families and sent to residential schools and why.

Then your questions will be answered.

• Like 2