Canada's Military - Remarkable

I recently read a message asking how the Belgian military worked - what language they used.

It was a nightmare of this division in French but that division in Nederlander - but above a certain grade, in some divisions, only some officers spoke one language.

====

Canada has the only military that functions in two languages.

Every other member of NATO has a military that functions in one single language.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, August1991 said:

I recently read a message asking how the Belgian military worked - what language they used.

It was a nightmare of this division in French but that division in Nederlander - but above a certain grade, in some divisions, only some officers spoke one language.

====

Canada's military barely functions at all.

But I suppose they can say "We aren't capable of doing that" in two languages.

3 hours ago, August1991 said:

I want to add this point - since it's in the news about passport images.

Harper was wrong to return to the RCAF etc terminology.

Trudeau Snr was correct when he created the Canadian Forces.

In order to appease Quebec Francophones, who were not even slightly appeased, and who would vote to leave Canada in a heartbeat if they thought there wouldn't be economic consequences.

But I'm unsurprised you believe that the cultural genocide of English Canadians was and is a good idea.

8 hours ago, August1991 said:

To return to my OP, our Canadian military is remarkable.

It works in two languages.

It does not work in either language. But I get that all you care about is that they're bilingual.

Edited by I am Groot

Having Francophone military units has its advantages when operating in French speaking countries or with French speaking allies.   We’ve had francophone units defending canada in one form or another since 1759. They served with honour and valour  in resisting 2 American invasion attempts prior to confederation, in both world wars, and many operations and conflicts since. 

Sure a bilingual military probably has it’s challenges as does anything in life but of the CAF’s many current problems it probably doesn’t make the top 5. 

Edited by BeaverFever
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, August1991 said:

you'll have to rid the army of all the British historical lineage

as the British regiments indoctrinate their recruits into their British traditions

so regiments like the Governor General's Foot Guards,

The Black Watch ( Royal Highland Regiment ) of Canada

the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada

these will have to be sanitized of their British origins

replaced with generic titles, A Company, 2nd Battalion, 33rd Brigade Group

full Americanization of the army to adhere to the full Americanization of Canada itself

Vimy Ridge of course, will have to be erased entirely therein

at that victory was won by the British Expeditionary Force at Pas de Calais

nothing to do with the Post National State

Edited by Dougie93

9 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Hey, I'm using the description Trudeau has embraced. If you think it's an exaggeration take it up with him.

Its an exaggeration to use it for Anglos, bub.

Indigenous peoples definitely DID suffer cultural and ACTUAL genocide.  You don’t get to steal that term for whatever minor inconvenience or annoyance that doesn’t affect you but you happen to become aware of. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 9:33 PM, August1991 said:

====

Every other member of NATO has a military that functions in one single language.

Not true at all, Canada's has a force that a small percentage can speak both official languages, That being said the official language of the CF is English...You may find that official communications within 5 Brigade, CFB Val Cartier may be in French, when operating among themselves .but once the other English Brigades combine English is the main official language spoken over all communication modes.  

Just another point NATO official operating language is English, when combined ops are being played out, most countries will translate all comms in and out going to send down to their smaller formations, but the main language being spoken is English. including Belgium. This practice has been ongoing for decades, the inter national language for all pilots and airports is English, both military and civilian.. Canada does not hold some special language abilities. It use to be that all english recruits had to pass french as a second language, but that program stopped as it was expensive, with little benefit. Now French/ English  speaking officers and SNR NCO"S  can apply to take English/ French courses, but they are not mandatory unless taking a command level course.

I think you'll find in European Militaries do speak a wide variety of languages, English and French are the most common. you'll find the same thing in their civil population, that Average Europeans speak more languages than Canadians. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, August1991 said:

I doubt Snr had much of a hand in it other than approving it all, that was all Paul Hellyer brain child but it was done to save money it had nothing to do with making it better, or more efficient, today you would be hard pressed to find any thing left of that unification. In the end it was a waste of money and energy that could of been spent else where... the result was a massive reduction of troops as they left the military to pursue other careers...

Unification of the Canadian Armed Forces | The Canadian Encyclopedia

2 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

Its an exaggeration to use it for Anglos, bub.

Why? A deliberate policy effort to separate English Canadians from their roots, traditions, history, and institutions fits with the description the Liberals use for cultural genocide.

Indigenous peoples definitely DID suffer cultural and ACTUAL genocide.

Yeeeaah, bullshit.

You don’t get to steal that term for whatever minor inconvenience or annoyance that doesn’t affect you but you happen to become aware of. 

Try and stop me.

4 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Yeeeaah, bullshit.

Denying basic reality.  Cool.  

4 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Try and stop me.

It's one of the stupidest things you've ever said on this forum.  If you're intent on making an ass out of yourself, please proceed.  ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Why? A deliberate policy effort to separate English Canadians from their roots, traditions, history, and institutions fits with the description the Liberals use for cultural genocide.

No, there is no such policy. Call me when English Canadian children are forcibly removed from their homes and sent to boarding schools against their family’s will, where they’re beaten for speaking English, or sent to be raised in non-English families. 

• Like 1