Is the world getting better or worse ?

Is the world getting better or worse ? Will it be better or worse in 50 years ?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

I'll say worse - for now - but far far better in 50.  

Maybe even better in 5, 10, 20...

@bcsapper roll call over here...

I voted worse, and it will be worse in 50 years, just to take a contrary position to you.  I really have no idea what the world will be like in 50 years.  I'll be dead, so it will at least be the worse for that. 

On what do you base your views?  I'm not going very deeply into anything at all.  Just looking at things at a MSM headline level.  Climate change will continue changing for the worse for the next 50 years.  Liveable space will decrease, while the population increases, so resources are going to become more shared and therefore more scarce.  Water security is going to be an enormous issue for more and more people, and those for whom it isn't, will have too much of it.

Immigration, both legal and illegal will increase, and you know how that pisses people off.  Lots of people will drown, or die in unventilated trucks at the side of some lonely highway.

Religious intolerance, so long the domain of the Middle East and parts of Africa, will rear its ugly head higher in North America and Europe. 

Cities all over the western world will emulate San Francisco and Portland in their inability to deal with their homeless, and their drug problems. 

Political polarisation is going to increase as people resent others more and more for their views, and other jurisdictions will start down the path the United States has taken, where the most important political decisions are those taken to stick it to the opposition, rather than for the benefit of the people.  Alberta is looking like that right now.  Canada as a whole is teetering on the edge.  No matter how much you disagreed with previous Prime Ministers, how many trucks did you see at the time with F*CK Chretien or F*CK Harper signs in the window?

Sure, everything can be changed with a major technological advance, or even some prolonged sanity at the ballot box. 

And on a personal level, apart from the fires right now, I do okay.

But I don't see things getting better.

Look at the news around the world. These people are getting ready for war. Re-militarization in every country. Even Japan. Even... Canada.

Makes me think maybe these world leaders know something you people don't know.

But in terms of social justice, the divide between haves and have-nots increasing. People being taught to despise one another by our leaders. People saw what we did to one another during covid. Infrastructures crumbling, systems failing and no leader stepping forward to do anything useful about it.

Instead we are force-fed a useless woke agenda that tries to solve a problem that does not really exist.

Fifty years eh? Carry on...

Interesting responses.  There seems to be a  consensus that things will be worse in the next 5 years.  I have a friend who surfs the dark web, as he calls it, and from what he tells me I suspect there is a lot of fearmongering going on there, and a lot of propaganda.  And whatever your perspective, I think we can agree that our media sources are also rife with fear and propaganda.

Fear of climate.  Fear of people.  Fear of the future.  I would submit that fear has always been pushed on the public, and used to get specific results.  That makes such fear a form of propaganda.  Think about that.

6 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Interesting responses.  There seems to be a  consensus that things will be worse in the next 5 years.  I have a friend who surfs the dark web, as he calls it, and from what he tells me I suspect there is a lot of fearmongering going on there, and a lot of propaganda.  And whatever your perspective, I think we can agree that our media sources are also rife with fear and propaganda.

Fear of climate.  Fear of people.  Fear of the future.  I would submit that fear has always been pushed on the public, and used to get specific results.  That makes such fear a form of propaganda.  Think about that.

Why don't you tell us about it?  Save us all the thinking.

Just now, sharkman said:

It's interesting how you can get triggered.  Why don't you tell me whether you agree or disagree with what I've said? 

Of course I disagree.  That's why I mocked you.

Ah yes, the non specific response.  I made several points so I have no idea which point or points you are referring to.  Which is what's needed to properly respond to you.  I'm going to go ahead and recommend that you keep on living in fear until you get over yourself, which most likely will never happen until you are pushing up daisies.

2 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Ah yes, the non specific response.  I made several points so I have no idea which point or points you are referring to.  Which is what's needed to properly respond to you.  I'm going to go ahead and recommend that you keep on living in fear until you get over yourself, which most likely will never happen until you are pushing up daisies.

You asked me whether I agreed or disagreed with you.  How specific do you want me to get?

Edited by bcsapper

On 5/20/2023 at 11:18 AM, sharkman said:

You have an entire thread in the business/economics section where you've posted nothing but retweets of anything that vaguely sounds negative.  

Who's pushing fear?  ?

21 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

You have an entire thread in the business/economics section where you've posted nothing but retweets of anything that vaguely sounds negative.  

Who's pushing fear?  ?

Not only that but he expects a detailed response to whatever his "friend who surfs the dark web" tells him.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:13 PM, bcsapper said:

..,  everything can be changed with a major technological advance

On that point, I ask you: what is the major driver of change in our society ?  I would say technology is.  And have you noticed any advances lately ?  How about... nothing but advances ?

So how do such changes eventually make for social change ?  The only answer is: slowly.  

To give you an idea of what a pathetic soul I am, this is the kind of thing I listen to.  @Contrarian give this a try:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/digital-media-trends-in-american-political-campaigns/id1170179745?i=1000613843510

Now try to imagine someone trying to explain A/B testing as described in this to Thomas Jefferson.  Jefferson would have collapsed in tears and had a fatal seizure, I am certain.

On 5/22/2023 at 2:05 AM, August1991 said:

The world is getting better. Even for ordinary people.

====

I fear that like in 1914 or 1789 or 1616, there is divide between the elite.

And we ordinary people will suffer.

Until we don't anymore.

Why was it that the results of the industrial revolution took so long to benefit everyone ?  Because social change takes time, restoring the balance takes time.  Humans accept hierarchy, inequality and instability ... but only to a point.

I think worse "in the short term" then better.

Why better ?  Because the world is moving closer together, because the cost of covering our basic needs is lower than ever, because fewer people are in hunger crisis, because the population growth of the earth is slowing, because we are developing tools to speak directly to each other without elite moderation, because a moral ethic continues to develop.

Why worse in the short term ?  Because certain players have to make their move now, before their power diminishes even further, because some people can't let go of past patterns and see the future, because there are few structures to challenge aggressive powers, because empathy is in question as a common value.

Western perspective: Maybe the decline of religion in the shadow of science is one of the major invisible challenges that we have to deal with.

WIth the loss of religion, we lost an entire sphere of understanding of ourselves and our world.  We also lost our holy men, for the first time since the dawn of civilization.  Who is our Billy Graham today ?  Did demagogues, intellectual leaders, environmentalists, inspirational media figures or sports figures step up to replace them ?  It doesn't seem so.

So who could hope to step up to the pulpit and engage trust to the depth that a holy man could prior to the midpoint of the 20th century ?

21 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

Better, but in the western world we do have the looming threat of authoritarianism and there's also global climate change. But if we can get past that, I think the world will continue getting better.

Maybe these guys can help.

Just now, Americana Antifa said:

Do you have to be British to get it?

I think Mr. Bean's sketches are funny, that's British comedy too.

Strangely enough, I don't find Rowan Atkinson that funny when he doesn't talk.  I found Black Adder and Not the Nine O'Clock News a lot funnier.  Black Adder was a classic.

4 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Strangely enough, I don't find Rowan Atkinson that funny when he doesn't talk.  I found Black Adder and Not the Nine O'Clock News a lot funnier.  Black Adder was a classic.

I think the only movie I saw where he spoke was Rat Race, which was pretty good. It was a good case of being just stupid enough to be funny, but not so stupid it was annoying.

So yeah, I like some British comedy. I even like stuff that was based on Monty Python's humor like Beavis and Butt-Head, the Simpsons, and South Park. But how people found the Python skits funny, I'll just never know.