Mass absences break out at London schools as Pride flag flies

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Blackbird has gone all in on his religious perspective, which I may not always agree with, but don’t pretend that your atheist perspective is more verifiable, because it isn’t.  You can’t point to anything that disproves God’s existence, nor can you disprove Blackbird’s position.  If you said that you don’t take a position on whether or not God exists because neither position is verifiable without evidence, which is the agnostic position, that would be less of a faith-based perspective.  What you don’t seem to appreciate about religious people is that their beliefs are faith-based, and some people have strong faith.  I don’t judge these people.  You do, yet you cannot prove that God doesn’t exist.  Your atheism is no less a belief than that of a theist.  In fact, it’s highly arguable that existence is miraculous, since it cannot be explained, yet it cannot be denied.

Notwithstanding the argument about proof, which supposes that not being able to prove something exists and not being able to prove something doesn't exist makes the existence as likely as the non existence, which is nonsense, I have to speak to your point about judging.  I don't judge anyone on their religious beliefs until they start to tell others what to do based on them.  I don't care what you, Blackbird, evangelical Christians, fundamentalist Muslims, etc believe, as long as you all keep it to yourselves and don't expect anyone else to live according to them.

4 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

Because you share a common goal, here with them. 

However, if some Muslims will ally themselves with radical leftists against racism in society, highly doubt you would think the same.

The point what I am trying to make, at the end, alliances are for interest by each event, not so much "morality".

The difference being it probably wouldn't be the Koran telling them to take that position.

29 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Notwithstanding the argument about proof, which supposes that not being able to prove something exists and not being able to prove something doesn't exist makes the existence as likely as the non existence, which is nonsense, I have to speak to your point about judging.  I don't judge anyone on their religious beliefs until they start to tell others what to do based on them.  I don't care what you, Blackbird, evangelical Christians, fundamentalist Muslims, etc believe, as long as you all keep it to yourselves and don't expect anyone else to live according to them.

Nice try.  People can and should express their moral positions when they are forced into situations that they oppose on moral grounds.  People who don’t are cowards.

Why should people accept educational messaging that they oppose?  People may generally tolerate different lifestyles as long as they aren’t forced to wear a badge that supports such lifestyles.  Another problem with the “Pride flag” is that it’s a grab bag of groups with different characteristics.  People may generally accept that people with different sexual orientations follow their desires, have relationships, get married, etc., but they may oppose gay marriage or they may oppose the notion that one can change sexual identity through drugs, surgery, or the mere expression that one is another gender.  People may not agree that there are over 10 or 100 genders.  People may not agree that dysphoria isn’t a mental disorder when our psychology manuals still describe it as a mental disorder.  People may see gender affirmation as abusive or dangerous at best.  People may see the rising number of de-transitioners who feel that they were pressured into surgery and now feel regret.  People may see how progressive Sweden did an about face and banned gender transition surgeries for kids after seeing the negative fallout.

If I allow my kids’ school to fly a Pride flag, I’m accepting a lot of perspectives.  Why should I?  What about the multitude of other identity groups?

Keep it simple please. Canadian, provincial, even municipal flags are fine.  Great education can and should be provided without getting into such clear indoctrination that offends the morality of so many people.

Edited by Zeitgeist

14 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Nice try.  People can and should express their moral positions when they are forced into situations that they oppose on moral grounds.  People who don’t are cowards.

Why should people accept educational messaging that they oppose?  People may generally tolerate different lifestyles as long as they aren’t forced to wear a badge that supports such lifestyles.  Another problem with the “Pride flag” is that it’s a grab bag of groups with different characteristics.  People may generally accept that people with different sexual orientations follow their desires, have relationships, get married, etc., but they may oppose gay marriage or they may oppose the notion that one can change sexual identity through drugs, surgery, or the mere expression that one is another gender.  People may not agree that there are over 10 or 100 genders.  People may not agree that dysphoria isn’t a mental disorder when our psychology manuals still describe it as a mental disorder.  People may see gender affirmation as abusive or dangerous at best.  People may see the rising number of de-transitioners who feel that they were pressured into surgery and now feel regret.  People may see how progressive Sweden did an about face and banned gender transition surgeries for kids after seeing the negative fallout.

If I allow my kids’ school to fly a Pride flag, I’m accepting a lot of perspectives.  Why should I?  What about the multitude of other identity groups?

Keep it simple please. Canadian, provincial, even municipal flags are fine.  Great education can and should be provided without getting into such clear indoctrination that offends the morality of so many people.

Nice try.  I said I couldn't care less what your moral position is, as long as you don't try to make it someone else's moral position.

5 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Blackbird has gone all in on his religious perspective, which I may not always agree with, but don’t pretend that your atheist perspective is more verifiable, because it isn’t.  

Nobody said it was:

8 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Arguing that God doesn't exist is pointless.   

You're not telling me anything I don't know.  

In fact, it’s highly arguable that existence is miraculous, since it cannot be explained, yet it cannot be denied.

It's just a different way of phrasing the same point.  Maybe things just always were, and the only reason we think it's miraculous is that we're self-centred yet incredibly insignificant in the universe.  

What you don’t seem to appreciate about religious people is that their beliefs are faith-based, and some people have strong faith.  I don’t judge these people.

There's nothing wrong with having faith, or even talking about your faith.  Being an angry religious fundamentalist preaching judgment, fire and brimstone at an uninterested audience has predictable results. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

Right back at you.  So why should I accept my kids’ public school flying a Pride flag?

You don't have to.  But if that's what they are doing, you have no right to stop it.

In other words, you do you, and let them do them.

23 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

NO, I would disagree with that.  What you are saying is everyone who disagrees with pride flags, etc. should just shutup and be like meek little sheep and say nothing.  Silence by the Pope, Europeans, Germans, and everyone with few exceptions is what allowed Hitler and the Nazis to conduct the Holocaust with little or no opposition.  Typical woke ideology.  

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

You don't have to.  But if that's what they are doing, you have no right to stop it.

Your big error is assuming that there’s a giant homogeneous “they” that wants Pride flags flown at publicly-funded schools.  The evidence is clear that there’s a significant portion of the population that opposes this.  How are their rights recognized?  There’s no need to fly the Pride flag, which is fast becoming perceived as an anti-human rights symbol by a sizeable portion of the population.  Your views are only confirming your partisanship.  Many people are seeing a clear LGBTQ2S push, though of course it’s a slew of different pushes that vary and that many people don’t even understand.  I can see now that people are going to start looking at companies and politicians in terms of their stances on these issues in much more serious ways. They will ask, What are the identity groups represented?  What is being advocated?  What ideas am I accepting when I buy products or send my kids to schools where the Pride flag is flown as the face of the product or educational organization?

Edited by Zeitgeist

13 minutes ago, blackbird said:

NO, I would disagree with that.  What you are saying is everyone who disagrees with pride flags, etc. should just shutup and be like meek little sheep and say nothing.  Silence by the Pope, Europeans, Germans, and everyone with few exceptions is what led to the Holocaust.  Typical woke ideology.  

Not shut up.  Say what you want.  Shout it from the rooftops.  Write letters to the editor. 

EDIT> Hahahahaaaa....  I answered in haste without reading it all.  Did you really just invoke the Holocaust?

Edited by bcsapper

12 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Your big error is assuming that there’s a giant homogeneous “they” that wants Pride flags flown at publicly-funded schools.  The evidence is clear that there’s a significant portion of the population that opposes this.  How are their rights recognized?  There’s no need to fly the Pride flag, which is fast becoming perceived as an anti-human rights symbol by a sizeable portion of the population.  Your views are only confirming your partisanship.  Many people are seeing clear LGBTQ2S push, though of course that’s a slew of different pushes that vary and that many people don’t even understand.  I can see now that people are going to start looking at companies and politicians in terms of their stances on these issues in much more serious ways.  

It's not a big error.  I really have no idea who makes these decisions.  The school board?  The school itself?  The Headmaster/mistress.  I don't care.  I don't care if they decide not to fly a pride flag.

I'm not going to force my views on them.  You seem to want to.

Edited by bcsapper

Just now, bcsapper said:

It's not a big error.  I really have no idea who makes these decisions.  The school board?  The school itself?  The Headmaster/mistress.  I don't care.  I don't care if they decide not to fly a pride flag.

I care if a publicly funded education system is imposing certain perspectives on students with which I strongly disagree, especially when such perspectives violate human rights at least as much as they claim to support them, and especially when none of these perspectives have anything to do with math, science, language, arts, geography, history, etc.  There’s no need to stoke division through symbols that have nothing to do with what most people expect publicly funded education to teach their children. 

3 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Hahahahaaaa....  I answered in haste without reading it all.  Did you really just invoke the Holocaust?

Absolutely.  What you don't seem to understand is society often goes in evil or harmful directions because well-meaning people said nothing.  The loud mouths get their way, often with evil consequences.

"8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:"  1 Peter 5:8 KJV

Just now, Zeitgeist said:

I care if a publicly funded education system is imposing certain perspectives on students with which I strongly disagree, especially when such perspectives violate human rights at least as much as they claim to support them, and especially when none of these perspectives have anything to do with math, science, language, arts, geography, history, etc.  There’s no need to stoke division through symbols that have nothing to do with what most people expect publicly funded education to teach their children. 

Great.   Like I said to Blackbird earlier, shout it from the rooftops.  Write letters to the editor.  Attend meetings and make your position known.  Organise peaceful protests.

7 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Absolutely.  What you don't seem to understand is society often goes in evil or harmful directions because well-meaning people said nothing.  The loud mouths get their way, often with evil consequences.

"8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:"  1 Peter 5:8 KJV

I know they do.  This isn't one of them, of course.  If you see barbed wire going up around some ovens, let me know and we'll go protest together.

@Zeitgeist to your earlier point.  This is where I get into an argument with Blackbird.  Not about his faith or his views, but when he attempts to use his faith and his views to justify controlling others.

Edited by bcsapper

14 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I think the majority of Canadians are seeing the troubling trend of moral decline, if not from a religious perspective then in the confusion of their children on issues like gender identity, or in the taxpayer-funded hard drugs killing their children, or in the easy access to state-assisted suicide when their kids fall apart with so little sane guidance and support.  The meritocracy is already lost under new identity-based hiring programs.

Canada has become a country that supports all forms of self-destruction but offers no moral challenge or cultivation of strength, intelligence, or character.  Collect the pogey, take the opioids, explore your sexual orientation and gender, abort whenever, don’t complain because that’s offensive and fringe. When the going gets tough, assisted suicide.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Not about his faith or his views, but when he attempts to use his faith and his views to justify controlling others.

What you don't seem to understand is that all morality comes from God.  Determining what is good or what is evil is not something that is invented by men in their mind.  The human mind is corrupt and evil and is incapable of determining what is good or evil by itself.  That is why it requires guidance from our Creator who revealed his law to us in the written word or Holy Scripture.  That is the source of all knowledge of such matters, not some woke liberal Guru sitting in a government office somewhere.

4 minutes ago, blackbird said:

What you don't seem to understand is that all morality comes from God.  Determining what is good or what is evil is not something that is invented by men in their mind.  The human mind is corrupt and evil and is incapable of determining what is good or evil by itself.  That is why it requires guidance from our Creator who revealed his law to us in the written word or Holy Scripture.  That is the source of all knowledge of such matters, not some woke liberal Guru sitting in a government office somewhere.

What you don't seem to understand is that everything you said there is complete and utter bollocks.

When I wrote an Email to my NDP MP a month or so ago about the random stabbings, including the murder of a 37 year old father in front of his wife and toddler at a Starbucks, he did not answer my Email.  I mentioned the fact government and the system is not protecting the citizens.  No answer.

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

When I wrote an Email to my NDP MP a month or so ago about the random stabbings, including the murder of a 37 year old father in front of his wife and toddler at a Starbucks, he did not answer my Email.  I mentioned the fact government and the system is not protecting the citizens.  No answer.

Did you quote a lot of bible passages in your email?

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I guess so, since he used to be against polyfibre and such.  God is a micromanaging Karen I think.

I don't think people should say "Karen".

But they can if they want to.