Mass absences break out at London schools as Pride flag flies

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/another-mass-absence-breaks-out-at-london-school-as-pride-flag-flies

Mass absences break out at London schools as Pride flag flies

This time, though, apparent backlash at some other schools, as well.

More than 400 pupils at one of London’s largest elementary schools – about one-third of the entire headcount – stayed home Wednesday, on a day when the rainbow flag flew across the school district as the area public board saluted International Day against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia.

Just three months ago, a similar mass absence broke out at Eagle Heights elementary school as it marked Rainbow Day, a designated day to celebrate diversity and inclusion. That left the Thames Valley District school board looking into the unusually high number of students who did not go to class, an issue the board’s education director, Mark Fisher, later called a “miscommunication.”

Unusually high absence levels were also reported at some other elementary schools in the city Wednesday,

Sources have suggested many Muslim families at the school, on Oxford Street near the city’s largest mosque, deliberately chose to keep their kids home to avoid Rainbow Day.

So there's some evidence of this spreading in Ontario and it soon may be in provinces across canada.

This appears to be pushback against the whole identity politics and culture wars mess again. The constant in your face left wing "woke" agenda has left people fed up.  And now even simple events like this are getting push back. And then there's also the fact people are pissed in general.

With all the division being pushed in Canada by the feds - i fear this gets worse before it gets better.

9 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

I think schools and school boards favouring or recognizing one group over another is principally, ethically and monumentally wrong.

Why just one? Why this one?

You can't bring people together by breaking them into parts.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Inclusion is a community value that needs to be taught, in a world where alien forces strive to drive us apart.  The west was conceived as a pluralistic confederation, probably the foundation of such an approach to "publics".

There is nothing wrong with inclusion, it's a good thing.  

I agree but, including just one group because it is currently politically visible or a popular thing to do at the time is not good.

I truly do not understand "The west was conceived as a pluralistic confederation," when discussing this issue.

Flaunting or wanting someone else to flaunt your orientation is plain wrong. You are just asking for criticism.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Inclusion is a community value that needs to be taught, in a world where alien forces strive to drive us apart.  The west was conceived as a pluralistic confederation, probably the foundation of such an approach to "publics".

Inclusion is being done in a very exclusionary fashion these days. And that won't lead to inclusion at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

1. I agree but, including just one group because it is currently politically visible or a popular thing to do at the time is not good.

2. I truly do not understand "The west was conceived as a pluralistic confederation," when discussing this issue.

3. Flaunting or wanting someone else to flaunt your orientation is plain wrong. You are just asking for criticism.

1. Ok... well maybe we should start with the Irish ?  Sorry but these things come up in a certain way based on how the zeitgeist goes.
2. Tolerance for different religions, primarily.  By extension this meant tolerance for different moral codes, including cultural differences.
3. Flying a flag isn't flaunting anything.  It's saying, basically, we won't hate you if you are this way.  Trying to puff it up into something beyond that begs the question: why ?  Why do people want to make LGBTQ+ into something beyond tolerance and acceptance by using code words ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

I agree but, including just one group because it is currently politically visible or a popular thing to do at the time is not good.

I truly do not understand "The west was conceived as a pluralistic confederation," when discussing this issue.

Flaunting or wanting someone else to flaunt your orientation is plain wrong. You are just asking for criticism.

I don't think they do just include one group.  It's been a long time since I had anything to do with schools, but don't they have diversity and inclusion as a main goal now? 

I imagine their would have been similar criticism from the Muslim community and many on the left if parents had kept their children at home when the schools celebrated Ramadan along with their Muslim students. 

I don't understand how I need to fly a flag to state I won't discriminate.

My workplace has a zero tolerance approach to bullying and discrimination. 

I don't understand how one must fly an LGBTQ flag to say this.

Teach kids to respect each other. One doesn't need to be force fed sexuality and the like, to be a decent human.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

3. Flying a flag isn't flaunting anything.  It's saying, basically, we won't hate you if you are this way.  Trying to puff it up into something beyond that begs the question: why ?  Why do people want to make LGBTQ+ into something beyond tolerance and acceptance by using code words ?

If that were correct then flying a confederate flag or a Swastika would be okay. Okay?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

And that won't lead to inclusion at all.

Exactly.

Telling a woman there is something wrong with her, for being uncomfortable with essentially someone with male parts in a washroom isn't inclusive. 

Okay so fine the trans woman is comfortable, but everyone else is on eggshells.

This creates division. 

People then speak under their breath.

I should know. Am black. 

Making petty crime racist, just makes more people hate people like me, even though I have a top secret safety clearance for my line of work.

4 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Exactly.

Telling a woman there is something wrong with her, for being uncomfortable with essentially someone with male parts in a washroom isn't inclusive. 

Okay so fine the trans woman is comfortable, but everyone else is on eggshells.

This creates division. 

People then speak under their breath.

I should know. Am black. 

Making petty crime racist, just makes more people hate people like me, even though I have a top secret safety clearance for my line of work.

That does seem to be how it's working out.

21 minutes ago, Legato said:

If that were correct then flying a confederate flag or a Swastika would be okay. Okay?

You certainly should be able to if you want to.  I don't think schools should, though.

28 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

I don't understand how I need to fly a flag to state I won't discriminate.

My workplace has a zero tolerance approach to bullying and discrimination. 

I don't understand how one must fly an LGBTQ flag to say this.

Teach kids to respect each other. One doesn't need to be force fed sexuality and the like, to be a decent human.

You don't need to.  I don't know if schools need to either.  I think they just choose to.

I could be wrong about that.  Does it come from the local school board or do schools make the decision themselves?

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I don't think they do just include one group.  It's been a long time since I had anything to do with schools, but don't they have diversity and inclusion as a main goal now? 

I imagine their would have been similar criticism from the Muslim community and many on the left if parents had kept their children at home when the schools celebrated Ramadan along with their Muslim students. 

Don't see any flags of other groups or full school and school board recognition of other groups or peoples.

On the left? Why insist on making this a left right thing???

I know of no schools that "celebrated" or even to any extent recognized ramadan or eid or jewish religious events.

I coach at a high school

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

You have it backwards Michael.  Western society is not built on a "pluralistic confederation" specifically.  Western society was built on Judeo-Christian civilization and culture.  That is where democracy and human rights came from.  We don't need this diversity-inclusion nonsense as if something new is being invented.  Simple go back to basic Christian principles of love for thy neighbour and respect for individuals.  Everyone should be treated the same, with respect.  No need to single out one group for special treatment as they are doing now.  Just teach respect and love for every individual.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Don't see any flags of other groups or full school and school board recognition of other groups or peoples.

On the left? Why insist on making this a left right thing???

I know of no schools that "celebrated" or even to any extent recognized ramadan or eid or jewish religious events.

I coach at a high school

Isn't it a left or right thing?  Do you see the inclusion of LGBTQ stuff in schools being celebrated/denigrated equally by both sides?

I haven't been in a school in a while, but:

https://tinyurl.com/22f9yrb2

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

'left' means things they don't like...

Isn't it a left or right thing?  Do you see the inclusion of LGBTQ stuff in schools being celebrated/denigrated equally by both sides?

Edited by bcsapper

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. ...

If inclusivity is what you want Michael, then include all the other groups.

I fully understand your defence of lqbtqxyz+++ but, for one for all. Muslim, arab, catholic, jew, Qanon, Proud Boys, Hells Angels and on and on and on. Singling out one group just makes them a target.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I haven't been in a school in a while, but:

https://tinyurl.com/22f9yrb2

No, it is a societal and cultural thing, not a political left wing right wing thing.

Just now, ExFlyer said:

No, it is a societal and cultural thing, not a political left wing right wing thing.

Do you see the inclusion of LGBTQ stuff in schools being celebrated/denigrated equally by both sides?

3 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

This is an odd approach.  What you are saying is that there are two sides, and whichever side polls higher on a question is the side that 'owns' the issue.  

I guess that's practical but it means that liberal vs conservative vs social political philosophy means nothing.

Strong support for law and order is a conservative value, even if you poll republicans and find they think the FBI is a secret liberal army.  That's how I see it.

As for this issue - LGBTQ+ freedom is a freedom issue.  Pro-freedom people should favour tolerance.  Conservatives should favour plurality as that is where we came from - it's a traditional Canadian value.

As @August1991 famously said "We get along."

Would you be surprised if prominent Conservative party members supported Trans rights ?

Would that mean they're not conservative ?

If I support Trans rights am I not conservative ?

Doesn't that mean that any issue that is turned around and weaponized for political gain will force me to change my principles in order to be 'loyal' to my party ?

That sounds like hypocrisy to me.

• Thanks 1