Derek Burney: Another bipolar world order is upon us, and the West only has itself to blame

15 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's coming at some point.

I just listened to a podcast but a major American think tank looking at all the problems that are happening with tech, and it seems like regulation is on everyone's mind. Especially with AI, people are alarmed as to what could happen.. I heard a call for an international regulatory body.

And that will be necessary for bioengineering too.

Any attempt to regulate AI will fail because the idea of having it while others don't would be a major strategic advantage. Thus China is and will continue to go full bore ahead at developing it. They may even send some money under the table to help efforts at restricting it in the West. Russia will also be going all out on it, as will countries like North Korea and Iran. And because of this, US defense and intelligence agencies will do it under the table if necessary, no matter what the law says.

46 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Any attempt to regulate AI will fail because the idea of having it while others don't would be a major strategic advantage. Thus China is and will continue to go full bore ahead at developing it. They may even send some money under the table to help efforts at restricting it in the West. Russia will also be going all out on it, as will countries like North Korea and Iran. And because of this, US defense and intelligence agencies will do it under the table if necessary, no matter what the law says.

Sure, but it's unclear whether one of these strategies would work, going it alone.  Not sure.  What are the applications that we're worried about, so that we need to regulate?

Safety? Financial?

As for military

Intelligence is not something you can regulate that way, it's more about applications built from AI research.

But it's a good point, and any opinion I'm giving here is just an amateur take believe me.

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Sure, but it's unclear whether one of these strategies would work, going it alone.  Not sure.  What are the applications that we're worried about, so that we need to regulate?

Safety? Financial?

An AI system will probably be able to break the passwords of any computer system not governed by AI, just for a start. So that will give you complete access to everything stored on any computer system, giving you access to opposing government's secret information as well as information they can use to blackmail individuals of power in government and industry.  It will allow you to develop better weapons faster than your enemies, allow you to predict their military responses, both strategic and tactical. It would likely allow you to manipulate financial systems like the stock market to your advantage. 

12 hours ago, I am Groot said:

An AI system will probably be able to break the passwords of any computer system not governed by AI, just for a start. So that will give you complete access to everything stored on any computer system, giving you access to opposing government's secret information as well as information they can use to blackmail individuals of power in government and industry.  It will allow you to develop better weapons faster than your enemies, allow you to predict their military responses, both strategic and tactical. It would likely allow you to manipulate financial systems like the stock market to your advantage. 

Ok, well something that changes the paradigm that drastically can't be conceived of with complete understanding of the impacts.  It's like saying "locks won't work anymore".  What kind of world would we have without locks ?  Almost impossible to perceive the social effects there.

It's not that easy for AI to crack passwords.  

They are good at cracking basic "mydogsname" passwords made by people, and can learn how to predict these from data breaches etc, but AI isn't making passwords obsolete.  

There are numerous safeguards that can be implemented beyond simple passwords as well.  

AI does represent a lot of security problems though, and just being able to impersonate someone's voice has troubling implications.  

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

AI does represent a lot of security problems though, and just being able to impersonate someone's voice has troubling implications.  

I wonder if it could also impersonate someone's eyeball if it got a few pictures... Or their fingerprint if it had a copy. I'm thinking of those biometric security measures on some phones and other security systems.

Redesigned passport is yet another step in Canada's decline

It seems the mission of this government is to remove any sense of pride in our history and our accomplishments — apologizing endlessly on our behalf, embracing the view that our forefathers perpetuated a genocide, allowing our military and diplomatic strengths to wither, and now removing any image that might have fostered pride in our past.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/the-new-passport-is-yet-another-step-in-canadas-downward-spiral

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

I wonder if it could also impersonate someone's eyeball if it got a few pictures... Or their fingerprint if it had a copy. I'm thinking of those biometric security measures on some phones and other security systems.

I think it would have to hack/trick the software somehow into thinking it was scanning a 3D image.  I have no idea how hard it would be but I don't think taking a picture of either does the trick.