Bernier accuses Tories of veering left as he launches byelection campaign in Manitoba (Mad Max rides again!)

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/maxime-bernier-lashes-out-at-conservative-party

OTTAWA – Maxime Bernier says he’s ready to “fight” to become the first member of Parliament for the People’s Party of Canada to represent conservatives he says have been abandoned by the federal Conservatives that he says has steered “to the left” to please voters.

So apparently PP is a leftist now :)

I wondered how long it would take for PP to give up trying to win his own riding.

I"m not sure how this one will go. Voter turn out and interest in byelections is notoriously bad making them very hard to predict.  But if he blows this one then he'll have to try in alberta next election, theres' really no where else that he's likely to win,

7 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I think he'd have a better chance in Quebec but...

Well he DID run in quebec - his home riding is there which he held for years as a CPC and which his family held as conservatives for ages and he couldn't even come close, he was like 5th :) LOL

I honestly don't think his chances are great. i think he'll be seen as insincere, like wow - all of a sudden you just fell heart and soul for a riding you've never been to in rural manitoba when you're from an urban quebec riding and you're just so happy to be here. Riiiiiiight

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Well he DID run in quebec - his home riding is there which he held for years as a CPC and which his family held as conservatives for ages and he couldn't even come close, he was like 5th :) LOL

I honestly don't think his chances are great. i think he'll be seen as insincere, like wow - all of a sudden you just fell heart and soul for a riding you've never been to in rural manitoba when you're from an urban quebec riding and you're just so happy to be here. Riiiiiiight

That's quite possible...and would be terribly embarrassing. He'd be in the same league as Singh.

Just now, Nationalist said:

That's quite possible...and would be terribly embarrassing. He'd be in the same league as Singh.

Exactly. Hopscotching his way across the country desperately looking for someone who'll be nice to him and complaining about his opponent relentlessly while nobody cares.

Kind of reminds me of Contrarian, but that's a different story ':)  LOL!

TO be honest especially early on his best chances were a sask or alberta riding, especially alberta. And he should have transferred his flag there early and run in one of those ridings last election, There's a modest chance he would have won. Now it would be hard to not look opportunistic

25 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Exactly. Hopscotching his way across the country desperately looking for someone who'll be nice to him and complaining about his opponent relentlessly while nobody cares.

Kind of reminds me of Contrarian, but that's a different story ':)  LOL!

TO be honest especially early on his best chances were a sask or alberta riding, especially alberta. And he should have transferred his flag there early and run in one of those ridings last election, There's a modest chance he would have won. Now it would be hard to not look opportunistic

Bernier can't win. Polievre has to.

49 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

As near as i can tell Bernier is desperately hoping that the next election results will be him winning a seat and the ndp, libs and bloc perfectly tied with the CPC after the speaker is chosen, thus making him the defacto prime minister  :)

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

As near as i can tell Bernier is desperately hoping that the next election results will be him winning a seat and the ndp, libs and bloc perfectly tied with the CPC after the speaker is chosen, thus making him the defacto prime minister  :)

Ya...not happening...unfortunately. 

48 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Ya...not happening...unfortunately. 

Probably not. We'll see if he even wins this seat - he'll have to win it again during the next election too and i'm not sure even if he takes it this time that he'd be able to then

16 hours ago, Nationalist said:

PP has sealed the deal with me in his latest speech

invoking Vimy Ridge and Britain's 800 year rule of law dating back to the Magna Carta

vehemently opposes the Post National State

that's all I'm asking for in the end

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

invoking Vimy Ridge and Britain's 800 year rule of law dating back to the Magna Carta

vehemently opposes the Post National State

Do you think these points will convince anyone to vote for Conservatives besides some conspiracy minded people, who are already voting for them, or are the handful that vote for Bernier’s party?

1 minute ago, TreeBeard said:

Do you think these points will convince anyone to vote for Conservatives besides some conspiracy minded people, who are already voting for them, or are the handful that vote for Bernier’s party?

I don't know, I never handicap the horse race, I'm not really into that

12 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Sure it will.  There's a segment out there that really feels that the liberals and their supporters have been slagging canada, and someone saying 'the history of canada is worthy" will strongly appeal to them. Even ones who only feel that a little bit will appreciate that and that's a larger group than you might think.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/two-thirds-of-canadians-proud-of-countrys-history-despite-injustices-against-indigenous-people-poll

so without a doubt an appeal to the better parts of our history AND to the depth of that history after years of hearing nothing but bad things will be a welcome message.  It won't win an election - but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

18 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

When looking at the general direction the dimwitted duo are pushing Canada, yes . . . this is just one more small but visible slap to anyone that cares about the history of this country.  Thousand cuts/straw-camel . . . 

1 hour ago, Nefarious Banana said:

When looking at the general direction the dimwitted duo are pushing Canada, yes . . . this is just one more small but visible slap to anyone that cares about the history of this country.  Thousand cuts/straw-camel . . . 

So prior to this “controversy”, you knew that page 24 of your passport had a watermark of the Vimy memorial?  

And you think that having this watermark on page 24 of a passport is vitally important to keeping the memory of the event alive and educates Canadians on the event?

Did you know that page 24 of the old passports had….  nothing but a Canadian maple leaf emblem?  

The day people became outraged about the passport watermarks was the day someone told you that it was Trudeau’s fault that this valuable history book reference called a passport was being changed…. again… like it is every few years. 

2 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

So prior to this “controversy”, you knew that page 24 of your passport had a watermark of the Vimy memorial?  

And you think that having this watermark on page 24 of a passport is vitally important to keeping the memory of the event alive and educates Canadians on the event?

Did you know that page 24 of the old passports had….  nothing but a Canadian maple leaf emblem?  

The day people became outraged about the passport watermarks was the day someone told you that it was Trudeau’s fault that this valuable history book reference called a passport was being changed…. again… like it is every few years. 

So if it's no big deal - why not just put it back if that's what people want? Whats' the big deal? Why even change it if no one even notices it. I mean, it's not like we commemorate things on our currency or stamps or anything right? Why make a fuss here?

On 5/14/2023 at 9:51 PM, TreeBeard said:

Is Bernier a relevant political figure still?  

I'm reminded of Lyndon Johnson's reference to Hoover:

"It's better if he's pissing out than pissing in."

=====

Then again, the NDP/CBC push the anglo Liberals left.

Whatever works.