Is Mary Simon really the right person for the Governor General job?

This article reveals how the monarchists league in Canada sent a strong letter to the GG criticizing her for her comments on the eve of the Coronation of King Charles III.

"Canadian monarchists have sent a strongly worded letter to Gov. Gen. Mary Simon chastising her for suggesting recently that there may need to be "conversations" about a future without the royals — and taking note of King Charles's unpopularity.

In a May 10 letter, Robert Finch, the dominion chairman of the Monarchist League of Canada, said it was "unbelievable" that Simon, the King's representative in Canada, would question the future of the institution and the likability of the sovereign on the eve of his coronation."

Monarchist group blasts the Governor General for commenting on King Charles's unpopularity (msn.com)

As I recall the last person Trudeau picked for the GG job left in disgrace.  Is Trudeau capable of picking the right people for the job?

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

In a May 10 letter, Robert Finch, the dominion chairman of the Monarchist League of Canada, said it was "unbelievable" that Simon, the King's representative in Canada, would question the future of the institution and the likability of the sovereign on the eve of his coronation."

when I spoil my ballot in an election

I do so by writing in : Monarchist League of Canada 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Is Trudeau capable of picking the right people for the job?

I guess it depends on what his goal is.

If his goal is to do what's best for Canadians then he's definitely not capable, but if his goal is to divide Canadians and damage our relationships with our allies then he's been on track since day 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If she's an agitator, then she's a horrible choice for governor general. "Agitator" is anathema to the monarchy.

Her appointment was either another poor choice, or on purpose.  Nothing makes the monarchy less attractive than a crappy monarch (or a crappy representative thereof).  

• Thanks 1

Simon could’ve demonstrated through actions that she wasn’t going to make her position about milking the public for luxuries like high-priced catering and using her power to disparage Canada as colonial and patriarchal.  She’s the worst kind of representative because, not only does she not respect her office, she pits Canadians against each other by valuing some identity groups over others.

She’s made herself susceptible to the criticism that she doesn’t merit the job and is an equity hire.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Simon could’ve demonstrated through actions that she wasn’t going to make her position about milking the public for luxuries like high-priced catering and using her power to disparage Canada as colonial and patriarchal.  She’s the worst kind of representative because, not only does she not respect her office, she pits Canadians against each other by valuing some identity groups over others.

She’s made herself susceptible to the criticism that she doesn’t merit the job and is an equity hire.  

I personally like the idea of a First Nations Viceroy

the First Nations effectively being the hereditary monarchies of Canada

I would be open to selecting the Viceroy from a First Nation as a rule

and I would be willing to fund the pomp & circumstance therein

but obviously the Viceroy cannot be engaging in political agitation against the monarch

• Like 2

What monarch? Outside of clearly totalitarian states this one can be the world champion in creating itself impossible fantasies in entirely alternative reality. Pinch, ammonia, kick no effect. Easily.

Edited by myata

18 minutes ago, myata said:

What monarch? Outside of clearly totalitarian states this one can be the world champion in creating itself impossible fantasies in entirely alternative reality. Pinch, ammonia, kick no effect. Easily.

the Constitutional Monarchy is the bulwark against totalitarianism

it is the Canadian constitutional separation of powers which staves off a dictatorship

in that the Prime Minister cannot be the Sovereign

and the Sovereign cannot be Prime Minister

YNU5YIHYDRAQHDNVZYO2WURPFE.jpg

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It should be obvious she was chosen by Trudeau as part of his agenda of being inclusive and promoting diversity.  Not well thought out.  One of the following must have been the case in the selection process:

1.  The selection committee or Trudeau did not have a clue what she believed and how she would operate.

2.  They wanted someone like her to demonstrate the Liberal ideology of being inclusive and promoting diversity and nothing else mattered.

3.  They were pandering to the aboriginal base for votes and didn't care what she thought.  (Ironically the Monarchy is still very relevant to FN treaty rights and many of them know this.  They might not be too happy with the GG's comments)

4.   Trudeau was not paying attention and some kind of progressive selection committee made the decision and Trudeau just rubber stamped it. 

9 minutes ago, blackbird said:

It should be obvious she was chosen by Trudeau as part of his agenda of being inclusive and promoting diversity.  Not well thought out.  One of the following must have been the case in the selection process:

1.  The selection committee or Trudeau did not have a clue what she believed and how she would operate.

2.  They wanted someone like her to demonstrate the Liberal ideology of being inclusive and promoting diversity and nothing else mattered.

3.  They were pandering to the aboriginal base for votes and didn't care what she thought.  (Ironically the Monarchy is still very relevant to FN treaty rights and many of them know this.  They might not be too happy with the GG's comments)

4.   Trudeau was not paying attention and some kind of progressive selection committee made the decision and Trudeau just rubber stamped it. 

there is another element to the Canadian constitutional separation of powers

which in the event of the Viceroy overstepping their authority

you can simply go above their head

directly to the Commander-in-Chief at Buckingham Palace

12 minutes ago, myata said:

Chosen, no handpicked by an authoritarian Guru bulwark. No other bulwarks here, sorry. Sigh. Cannot be woken up, nothing works.

nationalism & republicanism are simply tearing Canada apart

the oath to the Sovereign is the only thing holding the Confederation together

God save the King, in order to save Canada therein

The right person? Define 'right'? 

The primary purpose of appointing her was so Trudeau could raise his chin and make that smug smile as he notched up another diversity appointment. So yes, she is the right person to fulfill the primary purpose of the appointment.

I don't in theory oppose a symbolic appointment to the Viceregal office

I honestly had no quarrel with the Governor General

until she spoke out against the King

otherwise, I would give the GG the full VVIP treatment

I didn't actually mind the previous GG

the Astronaut

yes, she was haughty, imperious & headstrong

but those are qualities that I value in a Viceroy

I want a Viceroy who is capable of defying the Prime Minister as they see fit

as per the separation of powers

in light of that, I would assert that Canada's greatest Governor General

was Field Marshal Julian Hedworth George Byng, 1st Viscount Byng of Vimy, GCB, GCMG, MVO

Commander of the Canadian Corps at Vimy Ridge

Lord Byng, who built the Canadian Corps, to win the Great War, in a Hundred Days

Canada's greatest victory

Julian-Byng-1st-Viscount-Byng-of-Vimy.jp

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

The right person? Define 'right'? 

The primary purpose of appointing her was so Trudeau could raise his chin and make that smug smile as he notched up another diversity appointment. So yes, she is the right person to fulfill the primary purpose of the appointment.

Probably true, sadly.  

2 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

nationalism & republicanism are simply tearing Canada apart

the oath to the Sovereign is the only thing holding the Confederation together

God save the King, in order to save Canada therein

In theory that’s true, but Charles is a tentative monarch unlike his mom.  I’m not sure our King would intervene unless the government started slaughtering citizens in the streets.  Our GG?  She was AWOL during Trudeau’s draconian imposition of the Emergencies Act.

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

In theory that’s true, but Charles is a tentative monarch unlike his mom.  I’m not sure our King would intervene unless the government started slaughtering citizens in the streets.  Our GG?  She was AWOL during Trudeau’s draconian imposition of the Emergencies Act.

Too early to tell what Charles is. His history is not one of  being tentative and he has been criticized for being outspoken in the past. 

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

In theory that’s true, but Charles is a tentative monarch unlike his mom.

soon as the Crown was placed upon his head

he ceased to be Charles Wales

and became Charles Windsor therein

whatever quarrels I ever had with Charles Wales,  falls away at that point

HM King Charles III, the living embodiment of the nation ; upon Coronation

I stand by my oath to the monarchy itself; in return for citizenship therein

a Scots German Empire to a Northwest Passage

a nation forged in fire at Flanders to win the Great War in a Hundred Days

Je me souviens

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Too early to tell what Charles is. His history is not one of  being tentative and he has been criticized for being outspoken in the past. 

Yes he’s taken political positions.  I mean tentative in the sense that he’s also de-emphasized the monarchy. Commonwealth constitutional monarchies are disappearing.

Edited by Zeitgeist

13 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yes he’s taken political positions.  I mean tentative in the sense that he’s also de-emphasized the monarchy. Commonwealth constitutional monarchies are disappearing.

the Commonwealth has no legal basis

literally just a social club

the Commonwealth is 56 countries, 2.5 billion people

many members are republics

the two largest members of the Commonwealth are sworn enemies India & Pakistan

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think he realizes that the Monarchy needs to be scaled down some. Commonwealth constitutional monarchies are disappearing because they were established by colonialism and in many cases involved slavery. Others like the Scandinavian countries, The Netherlands and Japan seem quite healthy.

Edited by Aristides