Canada shouldn't deny assisted suicide if social conditions made life intolerable: bioethicists

There should at least be some law that says that the medical or other agents of the gov't cannot offer it as a suggestion.  Here's the conversation i fear:

Veteran "I'm still struggling, sometimes it's hard to sleep and some days i think it's just too much to get out of bed".

Councillor"  "well - there is a way to end all of that right now. And i think it's time you consider it. You can choose MAID.

Veteran "But i don't want to die!"

Councillor "but you don't want to live in pain either right? Resources from the gov't to help with conditions like yours have been cut back dramatically. Maybe it's time to rest soldier. '

Veteran "I don't know... maybe you're right. Maybe there's no hope for me. Ok.. "

This has apperently already happened. And a number of veterans did choose this way out before some came forward and said they were being counseled to go that route.

I absolutely believe in people's freedom of choice, But in a weak moment, a person of authority can easily manipulate someone who'd at a vunerable time into doing something they would not normally do

On 5/18/2023 at 12:11 PM, bcsapper said:

Sure, I believe anyone who denies the rights of others based on their own beliefs is being selfish.  Your views are well came by, but they still do not give you right to tell others when they can die.

As I have said many times, I fully support increasing care for mental health issues, and I believe that any country that does not look after its veterans is craven, but none of that has an impact on the issue generally. 

We are not denning anyone of any rights, just putting restrictions to it, like all of our rights there is always restrictions adding to them. And i don't think giving those people with mental health issues that freedom or right to kill themselves is responsible government, it seems like the best political option, where no-one is really responsible for killing people that could be treated and live a productive life.   For the same reason we restrict many rights and freedoms of people with mental health issues...it used to be we locked them up for their own protection until it cost to much...then we just pushed them to the streets and said we wipe our hands of it all, let nature sort it all out...pushed the problem on others to fix...

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

We are not denning anyone of any rights, just putting restrictions to it, like all of our rights there is always restrictions adding to them. And i don't think giving those people with mental health issues that freedom or right to kill themselves is responsible government, it seems like the best political option, where no-one is really responsible for killing people that could be treated and live a productive life.   For the same reason we restrict many rights and freedoms of people with mental health issues...it used to be we locked them up for their own protection until it cost to much...then we just pushed them to the streets and said we wipe our hands of it all, let nature sort it all out...pushed the problem on others to fix...

Okay.  Whatever restrictions you can get applied I will have to live with. (pun intended)

When it comes to my time I still have my Benelli if your restrictions deny me something  less dramatic.

For those who accept Christ as Lord and Savior in this life, there is joy and glory when Jesus takes us home.  God decides when our time has come, not man.

For those who resist or oppose God and his written revelation, it does not look good.

"8  In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:  9  Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; 10  When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day. "  2 Thessalonians 1:8-10  KJV

Edited by blackbird