Liberals face backlash over policy to trace journalists’ sources before publication online

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-425828-4-.htm#425828

The Liberals faced a backlash Monday over a policy the party approved at its national convention that critics said could force journalists to reveal confidential sources.

The policy calls on the government to “explore options” for forcing online information services to publish material based only on named sources. Conservative MPs said this would amount to a form of censorship, and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association warned it would chill the freedom of the press.

The policy was contained in a resolution drawn up by British Columbia Liberals and put on the convention’s agenda. It was voted on by party members on Saturday, and its approval makes it Liberal Party policy.

I mean - what could go wrong giving the liberals more power to censor.  And we all know what this is about - they're mad about the chinese leaks

Stories that contain no specifics that could be verified are one thing and should have all kinds of disclaimers but forcing journalists to disclose sources basically muzzles the press from any story that damages the gov't.

Wow....just wow.    Even Trudeau isn't stupid enough to support such measures:

Liberal Party members passed the "combating disinformation in Canada" policy resolution on Saturday. The proposal asks the to government "explore options to hold online information services accountable for the veracity of material published on their platforms, and to limit publication only to material whose sources can be traced."

Trudeau committed on Tuesday to never implementing the policy. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/prime-minister-says-government-won-t-adopt-controversial-policy-combatting-disinformation-1.6837036

15 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Wow....just wow.    Even Trudeau isn't stupid enough to support such measures:

Of course he is. He will simply tell people he wouldn't and then after he wins he'll say 'well it was right in the poilcy documents, we HAVE to do it now...."

You know i'm right :)  It would be classic trudeau

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

You know i'm right :)  It would be classic trudeau

Maybe, but Trudeau has himself been the source of disinformation and "fake news", so he would hardly welcome a change in the status quo.

Canada’s Trudeau deletes tweet falsely claiming Iran has sentenced 15,000 protesters to death

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/15/world/trudeau-deletes-false-tweet-iran-mass-executions-intl/index.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eyeball said:

Your posts would clearly fall under this category.

Awww little guy - still bitter about the fact you look like an !diot every time we square off? :) LOLOL

well i suppose i could always go back and change my posts to something different if i find them embarrassing, like you do :)

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well I agree with you, internet regulation is coming.. no doubt about that. We at least should try to imagine what it could, should, might look like.

Or elect people who DON"T feel the need to repress their population.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Of course.  The Liberals are wannabe totalitarians.  They’ll take and exercise as much power and control as they can get away with. 

over one hundred thousand Canadians killed in two World Wars

to defend against this very sort of tyranny

that legacy thrown on the pyre without a second thought

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

You mean .... like playing Gordon Lightfoot on the radio ?  Demanding French on all packaging ?  That sort of thing...

Yeah thats pretty much the same as selling the country's democracy to the chinese and passing totalitarian censorship laws. 

23 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Yeah thats pretty much the same as selling the country's democracy to the chinese and passing totalitarian censorship laws. 

indeed

it's the same rubric invoked by the Soviets at the Berlin Wall

we cannot allow our people to choose American freedom

thus we have to keep them behind an Iron Curtain

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

We'll be sure to report all of your hysterical posts to the Truth Commission so that you can be helped via reprogramming.

I wish you were joking. I'm pretty sure you actually think it'll work this way and you're glad.

Wait wait isn’t it conservatives who have been ranting about “anonymous sources” reported in the MSM ?

All those confidential leaks from the Trump administration leading republicans to whine that it ought to be illegal to cite unnamed sources?  

Florida Republicans have a draft bill rigorously now requiring anyone who blogs pr writes abut the governor must register with the governors office and provide sources on demand under penalty of jail?

There are better ways to fight the right wing fake news outlets, Russian troll farms etc but making the press an enemy of the state the way conservatives have is not the answer