The benefits of colonialism

Everyone who is properly woke likes to talk about decolonization as if reaching it at some point in time is similar to the rapture. But what it mostly involves is destroying our history, traditions and culture to leave us swaying in the wind. For it seeks to replace our history with nothing more than guilt and shame. But looked at properly, with both warts and beauty, colonialism had its successes and failures like any other kind of political system or idea. And it produced the country we live in today.

Shortly before he died in 2013, Chinua Achebe — often considered Africa’s greatest novelist — was asked if his view of colonialism had changed in the half-century since he wrote Things Fall Apart, his famous first novel critical of British rule in his homeland of Nigeria. “The legacy of colonialism is not a simple one,” he explained to the interviewer, “but one of great complexity with contradictions — good things as well as bad.”

Today, Achebe’s regard for historical complexity seems like outright heresy. Where once nuance was allowed, over the past decade colonialism has become universally synonymous with racism, violence and exploitation. As such, all vestiges of it must be removed from sight. Nowhere has this Manichean perspective taken root with as much conviction as in Canada, with governments, universities and museums now racing to “decolonize” their institutions as quickly as possible. Statues must come down. Exhibits closed. Names changed. Narratives rewritten. Our new national story is that nothing good ever came from colonialism.

Nigel Biggar begs to differ.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/colonialism-contained-good-things-as-well-as-bad-why-cant-we-just-accept-that

Here is a reality that none seem to be wrap their minds around... A people, tribe, nation, etc. will ALWAYS prefer the inferior rule of themselves to the possibly (superior) rule of another. Colonialism may have brought certain nations out of the past and so you would think that these nations would be grateful. The first statement shows why they are not and hence why they fight for independence. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Americana Antifa said:

You unironically said "woke" so whatever you said next was probably stupid.

You prove why blue state schools are inferior. You worship the term "Woke" (which is NAZI with a 21st Century spelling.)

Find someone with an education to read the first post to you and explain it to you. Right now. Florida second graders could do that.

38 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I agree with Achebe but it is simplistic to say colonialism was good.

The idea that paying attention to its faults somehow hurts our culture is a head spinning idea.

I don't think colonialism is either good nor bad, any more than a shark is bad and a deer is good. They are both part of nature.

Colonialism is part of human nature, the desire to explore, conquer, influence, etc. Some was good. Some was bad. Mostly, European colonialism in the New World was good as it created the United States of America, the best thing that ever happened to the planet Earth. Yes, a few bad things in there, because utopia is not an option.

Compare that to Nazi colonialism (the 20th Century variety, not the Woke stuff of the 21st Century), Nazi Germany conquering places like Poland, France, etc, by marching in with soldiers and the MILLIONS of casualties. Or compare that to the colonialism of the Soviet Union, with its Iron Curtain, the takeover of eastern Europe, etc, and the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of casualties. 

History is replete with colonialism, some doing damage and some doing good. As far as the Africa colonialism goes, the jury may still be out on that. Certainly, methods of greater sanitation helped save a lot of African lives. But the slavery that came out of it (mostly from Democrat part Americans) left a stain on the world that people STILL refuse to forget.

13 hours ago, Americana Antifa said:

Every time you goose steppers lose an argument, you trot out that failed old Forbes article that has been since disproven a million times.

We get it. You are embarrassed that your ideology and tactics are a mirror image of the Hitler regime. Not our fault. You're the one who started goose stepping and wanting government to exterminate certain undesirables and take away our liberties.

YOU OWN THE WORD NAZI. You ARE one.

First, lets not kid ourselves. Those who invade/conquer a foreign land are not met with open arms. Second, the colonizer does not go about their business with grace.. they rule with an iron fist. The belief is that the colonizer is superior and so those being colonized should be grateful for being invaded/conquered. Neither is realistic. 

22 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I agree with Achebe but it is simplistic to say colonialism was good.

The idea that paying attention to its faults somehow hurts our culture is a head spinning idea.

That, of course, was certainly not the point. The point was to take in the entirety of it, the good, the bad, the context, all. 

Paying attention to its faults? When, prior to this article, have you heard anyone paying attention to its benefits? Ever?

Much like we hear all about our own history's faults these days, but never a good thing that was accomplished.

10 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

1.  When, prior to this article, have you heard anyone paying attention to its benefits? Ever?

2. Much like we hear all about our own history's faults these days, but never a good thing that was accomplished.

1. The entirety of my schooling for one.  I might allow criticism of the current mindset, if we both agree that it's a backlash situation.

2. Well we DO hear how great we are today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. The entirety of my schooling for one.  I might allow criticism of the current mindset, if we both agree that it's a backlash situation.

And how long ago did you go to school? I bet there isn't much of it in today's schools. We live in a time where showing any sense of pride in nation draws accusations of white supremacy and racism.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

2. Well we DO hear how great we are today.

From whom?

As with most terms, the left and certain social justice warriors just use 'colonial' to mean 'people and things i don't like (but actually wouldn't give up).

If you look at any political circumstance over time there's pros and cons. THe first nations practiced slavery. THey sold their women as chattel. They frequently wiped out OTHER first nations with whom they feuded. Soooo - how was that better than being a colony? Or may be it was better.

The point is, any system of governance has pro's and cons. Calling things "colonial" is just a way of pretending that anything that's gone wrong with governance in the last few hundred years isn't their fault too.

8 hours ago, reason10 said:

Every time you goose steppers lose an argument, you trot out that failed old Forbes article that has been since disproven a million times.

Nope.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/best-states-for-education

https://wallethub.com/edu/e/states-with-the-best-schools/5335

Also, if you can't define what a nazi is, you probably shouldn't call people nazis.

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

1. I bet there isn't much of it in today's schools.

2. We live in a time where showing any sense of pride in nation draws accusations of white supremacy and racism.

3. From whom?

1. My four year old came home saying he loves Canada.  Someone is teaching that.

2. Hyperbole.

3. Our PM and many others.

Your hyperbolic statements are pointless to criticize, you're just generally lamenting.  But your specific claims are silly.

Let's move on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. My four year old came home saying he loves Canada.  Someone is teaching that.

Sounds fake.

2. Hyperbole.

Is it? Or are they still tearing down statues of John a? Your attempt to dismiss it suggests you know there's truth to it.

3. Our PM and many others.

You mean the guy who said a third of canada is bigoted mysoginists who shouldn't be tolerated? That guy?  And the one who has claimed canada commited genocide (but china didn't)?  That PM?

11 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

1. Sounds fake.

2. Is it? Or are they still tearing down statues of John a? Your attempt to dismiss it suggests you know there's truth to it.

3. You mean the guy who said a third of canada is bigoted mysoginists who shouldn't be tolerated? That guy?  And the one who has claimed canada commited genocide (but china didn't)?  That PM?

1. Ok, so you think I'm a liar and yet you're talking to me on here.
2. The claim is "showing any sense of pride in the nation draws accusation".  Take the claim at face value and your example means nothing.  
3. More hyperbole and exaggeration.  And then when I challenge, I get a non-proof or some other claim.

I don't get paid to play whack-a-mole with you.  The Marxists used to use this method of extreme claims, now trolls do it.

Back to Ignore...