Poilievre demands Trudeau expel Chinese diplomat involved in alleged targeting of Michael Chong

https://globalnews.ca/video/9665163/poilievre-demands-trudeau-expel-chinese-diplomat-involved-in-alleged-targeting-of-michael-chong/

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre demanded during question period on Monday that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau expel a Chinese diplomat who was involved, according to reporting by The Globe and Mail, in an alleged plan to target Conservative MP Michael Chong and his family.

“The same diplomat that orchestrated these threats against the MPs family still works in the Toronto consulate of Beijing… will he expel him today?” he asked.

SPOILER!  no.  No he will not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

A weak ineffectual Prime Minister completely absorbed with himself . . . foreign infiltrators and enemies of Canada gaining a greater hold on the business of Canada . . . great times ahead!

And 3 years out till an election. Sigh.

So where were you bozo's 25 years ago when people like myself were concerned that wheeling and dealing with China and any other dictator for that matter basically constituted an act of biting ourselves on the ass?

Oh right, calling us commies.  ?

I'm sure I must have pointed out a couple dozen times over the years around here how the opposite of what we were led to believe would happen - that instead of countries like China becoming more like us as a result of trade and globalization we'd become more like them.

Now look at you guys getting all woke up finally. Better late than never? I doubt it.  Go back to sleep.

57 minutes ago, eyeball said:

So where were you bozo's 25 years ago when people like myself were concerned that wheeling and dealing with China and any other dictator for that matter basically constituted an act of biting ourselves on the ass?

Working hard to earn the tax money that would eventually be used to pay for your school education when you grew up.  Boy - THAT was sure worth it in hindsight.

Yup - Well - your'e parents any way. 25 years ago you were still a glint in the mailman's eye of course.

I'm sure I must have pointed out a couple dozen times over the years around here how the opposite of what we were led to believe would happen - that instead of countries like China becoming more like us as a result of trade and globalization we'd become more like them.

Yeah  - that really didn't happen.  And i don't think anyone really expected china to become like us, i think the big plan was to make them dependent on our economy rather than russias.  And that did actually work.

Now look at you guys getting all woke up finally. Better late than never? I doubt it.  Go back to sleep.

So what you're saying is you didn't really say anything over the years, you're not really saying much now, and nobody should do anything.

Sigh. I want my taxes back.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

And i don't think anyone really expected china to become like us,

No one at all expected that?

As far back as the early 1990s, Washington thought trade and investment eventually would make China more democratic. In the past couple of years, though, the Communist Party has doubled down on repression at home and become more aggressive overseas.

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2014/11/07/362284553/capitalism-is-making-china-richer-but-not-democratic

i think the big plan was to make them dependent on our economy rather than russias.  And that did actually work.

Who else thought this besides you?

31 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No one at all expected that?

No, not really. Your article mentions "Washington" thought something like that...  not exactly a reference source :)  Oh, and an unnamed columnist.

The entire china policy was to keep them out of the hands of russia. In fact - china doesn't really allow the us to trade much with china, it's largely a one way street with china selling everything it wants to the US but the US only selling a fairy limited group of goods to china.

31 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Who else thought this besides you?

Everybody.

But in 1972, President Richard Nixon reestablished relations with the PRC. Nixon hoped to use better relations with China to balance the rising power of the Soviet Union. Chinese leaders were receptive because they too were worried about the USSR. Mao’s successor, Deng Xiaoping, sought to bring China closer to the West, but he also believed that the Communist Party had to remain in power. So even as he opened the economy, he sought to prevent political liberalization at home. The result was the start of China’s economic rise, but also the killing of protestors in Tiananmen Square in 1989.

https://www.heritage.org/asia/report/the-complicated-history-us-relations-china

That was the whole deal. Keep china away from russia. With china just barely starting to grow and become economically relevant, the US realized that they needed to be tied economically to china to keep it out of the control of russia and under the control of the US - you don't attack the people who provide you with your money as a rule.

That's why there's a problem today - the trade deficit between the us and china has become ENORMOUS.  China makes and sells many many billions of dollars worth of goods to the us (much of which is copied from us products) m but the US is not allowed to sell most of it's goods in china.  SO china makes billions in sales and the us makes very little in comparison.

But it did keep them out of the USSR's hands.

26 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

But it did keep them out of the USSR's hands.

Don't look now but the trick will be keeping Russia out of China's hands.

What you said about the road to hell elsewhere would have been appropriate here. And what I said about no good ever comes from wheeling and dealing with dictators still stands. It will always bite you in the ass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Right? Putin has left russia very vulnerable to that.

Fortunately, Russia's not much of a jewel. It benefits china but it can't replace the US's benefits to china's economy. But there is a chance that china will wind up entangling the russian economy and weening itself off of the US's.

What you said about the road to hell elsewhere would have been appropriate here.

Well.. russia did kind of do this to themselves.

And what I said about no good ever comes from wheeling and dealing with dictators still stands. It will always bite you in the ass.

It hasn't in the slightest.  If anything we did it with china and they haven't been a serious threat for decades and we did NOT do it with russia and they've been a major threat for decades.

Wheeling and dealing with dicators has been paying off for people since the days of the mongols. It can be very effective at keeping them from attacking you because it hurts their economy. It gives you some leverage to help encourage good behavior and repress bad behavior a bit. If anything china proves the point.

But that doesn't make it easy or fool proof or suggest those people wont' still be a problem from time to time. It's just better than not dealing with them at all as  a rule.

16 hours ago, eyeball said:

As I recall, 25 years ago much of the Left loved China and saw it as a terrific improvement over the Capitalist west. Much of the Left has also embraced, at various times, the Soviet Union, Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, and Vietnam, among others.

Edited by I am Groot

14 hours ago, eyeball said:

the Chinese have the influence, bot not the resolve

the Russians have have the resolve,  but not the influence

the Chinese have the money

the Russians have the nuclear submarine cruisers

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

As I recall, 25 years ago much of the Left loved China and saw it as a terrific improvement over the Capitalist west. Much of the Left has also embraced, at various times, the Soviet Union, Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, and Vietnam, among others.

Well, if that's the case and despite all opinions to the contrary I guess I'm not a lefty.

Are you sure you're not just saying this because you're a righty?

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

Ah yes, if only the Conservative party was more like the Liberal party...

They're both right wing from my perspective - one barely more so than the other.

The government still always gets in no matter what.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Working hard to earn the tax money that would eventually be used to pay for your school education when you grew up.  Boy - THAT was sure worth it in hindsight.

Yup - Well - your'e parents any way. 25 years ago you were still a glint in the mailman's eye of course

I think your correspondent is a little older than that. 

14 hours ago, eyeball said:

What you said about the road to hell elsewhere would have been appropriate here. And what I said about no good ever comes from wheeling and dealing with dictators still stands. It will always bite you in the ass.

The bigger risk was always China, a civilization that dazzled the world for millennia about to regain its position of dominance. In the 19’th century Great Game, Russia was one of the players:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Game

Now it’s the prize and China is laps ahead. A virtually uninhabited Siberia must be a very tempting target for a superpower right next door that happens to be short of water. Thanks, Vlad. You may turn out to be one of the most useful dotards in history, looking constantly in the wrong direction. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Now it’s the prize and China is laps ahead. A virtually uninhabited Siberia must be a very tempting target for a superpower right next door that happens to be short of water. Thanks, Vlad. You may turn out to be one of the most useful dotards in history, looking constantly in the wrong direction. 

He's still got a lot of nukes, but his military has turned out to be something of a paper tiger, probably because of decades of corruption and appointing officers for their loyalty and not on merit. They've been reduced to flinging Iranian made drones at the Ukrainians for want of anything else. Can you imagine the US begging a third world country for modern weapons it can use against an enemy?

Edited by I am Groot

5 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

The bigger risk was always China, a civilization that dazzled the world for millennia about to regain its position of dominance. In the 19’th century Great Game, Russia was one of the players:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Game

I feel like russia would be a 'prize' that would weigh you down rather than boost you up.

THey want more influence but really they NEED to have a replacement economy that will reduce their dependence on the USA.  And russia just isnt' there right now - its 'better than nothing' for them.

But politically it's a tar baby - you get a fist or two into that sucker and it'll drag you around everywhere.  It's like trying to pick up an angry porcupine.