More leaks from CSIS on China's interference in Canada

9 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

No credit necessary. He was forcefully pressured into it by the opposition. He had no intention of doing that on his own.

Lets not forget it has only taken 2 years for him to act, if the opposition had forced the issue this would have never come to light swept under the carpet becasue in Justins case you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

13 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

Yes, I agree with you but also with @CdnFox, because the more I read this, the "not intimated" declaration, happened AFTER the Communists in Beijing expelled that diplomat in Shanghai today, not when he expelled the original man. I am verifying the timeline to see when he said it. 

The correct way, in my opinion, would have been to say this WHEN YOU EXPEL THE FIRST ONE. 

I only meant credit for finally responding to the will of parliament

finally admitting that there is a serious problem

2 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

Yes, I agree, is about time, I verified and he said it 2 hours ago after the Shankhai expulsion, when the original man was expelled was only a press release. 

The positive from all of this is that after hibernation, there is a Prime Minister there. He had moments like this, when he told Xi those things in front of the cameras, however, being a star in brief moments does not mean anything. 

In my opinion, just like in sports, is consistency that wins the battle at the end. Leafs are stars, consistency they do not have, hence why always the poor long term results. 

I don't trust him to provide an adequate response

but the Liberals have been claiming that there is no threat at all

that the whole thing is a "conspiracy theory"

2 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

Yes, in my view, is all about the sugar, the money, as this story shows: Canada set to name foreign labs, universities that pose a risk to national security.

This type of story and some sort of shake-up of links between academia, organizations, etc with the CCP is making a lot of people nervous here. Why? The CCP has been using in my opinion and from what I've read such things to push their infiltration into Canada. To have CCP police stations while I am walking into Chinatown to buy some vegetables is an insult to this country. To come here and see the same communists operate, this is the Beijing division. 

oh it's far more than an insult

the Chinese Communists have been forcing Canadian citizens onto planes back to China

that is state sponsored terrorism by a hostile foreign power operating on Canadian soil

34 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I'm giving credit for responding to the pressure

that's how parliament is supposed to work

First off, if he's just doing what he's supposed to then he doesn't really deserve 'credit' and second - the fact that he caved to the pressure might mean parliament is doing it's job but it doesn't mean he was.  He failed to show leadership - others had to force him to it. That would mean the ndp and cpc deserve credit, not the libs or justin.

5 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

First off, if he's just doing what he's supposed to then he doesn't really deserve 'credit' and second - the fact that he caved to the pressure might mean parliament is doing it's job but it doesn't mean he was.  He failed to show leadership - others had to force him to it. That would mean the ndp and cpc deserve credit, not the libs or justin.

alright, you've convinced me

I retract the credit and give it the CPC instead

I don't consider the NDP to be part of the opposition

9 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

a coalition is legitimate

but once CSIS has outed the government for being under the undue influence of a hostile foreign power

MPs have a duty to bring that government down if they can

True. It really should be up to the voters to decide if the libearls should still hold the reigns.

46 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

My understanding is that the FBI made an arrest in America, however, here, still crickets: 

Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn charged the men with conspiring with the Chinese government and destroying evidence.

Full Article: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/17/nyregion/fbi-chinese-police-outpost-nyc.html

• The US has a registry of foreign agents. Canada does not. 

never in the Cold War did I think the Soviets were a threat on Canadian soil

not like kidnapping Canadians and forcing them onto planes back to the USSR

this Chinese action on Canadian soil is an unprecedented national security threat

literally the first invasion of Canada since 1866

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

wouldn't there have to be an election ?

Yes - that's what i meant.  The ndp should have pulled the plug on their deal and with the cpc forced an election so the voters could decide if the liberals actions on the china interference problem were appropriate and if they should still be allowed to lead given the facts.

33 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

assuming the NDP are not going to form a coalition with CPC

I doubt they'd be given that chance.

Just now, CdnFox said:

Yes - that's what i meant.  The ndp should have pulled the plug on their deal and with the cpc forced an election so the voters could decide if the liberals actions on the china interference problem were appropriate and if they should still be allowed to lead given the facts.

the Liberals invoke the Emergencies Act for a rock concert protest with bouncy castles

while ignoring an actual invasion of Canadian territory by a hostile foreign power

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

the Liberals invoke the Emergencies Act for a rock concert protest with bouncy castles

while ignoring an actual invasion of Canadian territory by a hostile foreign power

The chinese paid the proper cash tribute. That's the difference,

The liberals will NOT allow anyone to steal this country's democracy and rule of law.  BUt they will sell it at a reasonable price,

Edited by CdnFox

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

The chinese paid the proper cash tribute. That's the difference,

The liberals will NOT allow anyone to steal this country's democracy and rule of law.  BUt they will sell it at a reasonable price,

CSIS is one of the most secretive agencies on earth

CSIS doesn't leak

for a CSIS officer to go whistleblower

that is Broken Arrow, all call signs render assistance

So they did boot the guy out and now the Chinese booted one of ours (one so far) and now the Big Tory whine is that they took too long.

Wow! We really showed them, didn't we?

The Libs actually thought it out and eventually decided to accept the consequences instead of instantly jerking their knee and not even thinking things through and claiming a "win".
Boy some of you would make great political leaders, the country would last maybe months with you running things.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, herbie said:

So they did boot the guy out and now the Chinese booted one of ours (one so far) and now the Big Tory whine is that they took too long.

Wow! We really showed them, didn't we?

The Libs actually thought it out and eventually decided to accept the consequences instead of instantly jerking their knee and not even thinking things through and claiming a "win".
Boy some of you would make great political leaders, the country would last maybe months with you running things.

The libs didn't think through anything. THe ndp and cpc pushed them to do the right thing and eventually they caved.

Justin was happy to be their whipping boy until public opinion started to turn.

Oh really, the Tories simply bawled like babies demanding instant action on purely ideological grounds. The NDP, not having the slightest clue or experience regarding international diplomacy or national security tagged along.
The entire so called scandal boiled down to the people who were supposed to handle it didn't instantly come snivelling to the Boss about how to do their job, therefore it's all Trudeau's fault, what their dupes want to hear.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, herbie said:

Oh really, the Tories simply bawled like babies demanding instant action on purely ideological grounds. The NDP, not having the slightest clue or experience regarding international diplomacy or national security tagged along.
The entire so called scandal boiled down to the people who were supposed to handle it didn't instantly come snivelling to the Boss about how to do their job, therefore it's all Trudeau's fault, what their dupes want to hear.

"Crying like babies" about a foreign gov't interfering directly in our elections and threatening members of parliament? Is complaining about that 'crying like a baby' to you now?

And the "So called" scandal? You think that taking no action for years on these reports is a "So Called" scandal not a real one?

What would make you post such drivel? Wait a minute - blink twice if your family is being held by the chinese!  :)

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/did-trudeau-liberals-ignore-2021-csis-report-due-to-election

Did Trudeau Liberals ignore 2021 CSIS report due to election?

Report by CSIS was issued just three weeks before the election was called, would have changed the campaign.

The story of Wei threatening Canadian elected officials, including Chong, became public a week ago, but the Trudeau government was alerted in July 2021. A report by CSIS, sent to the Privy Council Office – Trudeau’s department – as well as the then public safety minister, Bill Blair, and his top officials was either not read or ignored.

That is until the issue became public.

10 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well it's not a bad idea of course but sadly it wouldn't even make a blip. And you run back into the same problems - just getting approval to do the work would take 2 or 3 years, and by then the population has increased more than the benefit of those conversions.

And in fact it's not like it hasn't happened - the old "woodwards" building which sat empty for years in vancouver was proposed to do exactly that, along with some low income rental to help alleviate that issue in the downtown core.  Then the city wanted more low income, then they had other requirements, the developer threw up his hands and walked because it wasn't going to be profitable anymore, then councils changed and finally a deal was reached and eventually work began but it too, MANY years before the first wall was torn down inside.

In the end it's not that we COULDN'T build enough buildings. But our entire system is designed in such a way that it prevents it from ever happening without making significant changes.

Huh...seems this country has gotten too liberal. I wonder if we can remedy that?

9 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Huh...seems this country has gotten too liberal. I wonder if we can remedy that?

well not hiring the liberals to run the place would be a start :)

But honestly - this is a problem that spans not just the feds but the provinces. the feds could provide strong leadership but in the end everyone would have to get on board.  The towns and cities and muncipalities would likely have to give up some of their power - which the provinces can take back any time but there's a political backlash to that.

And even if we did all we could right now i think it would be a decade before we could right the ship, so any political party doing the right things would pay the political price today knowing that they won't be around for the political pay off later.  Just like Mulroney paid the price for the GST - and Jean Chretien took the credit when it worked.

On 5/8/2023 at 10:36 AM, Nationalist said:

I like them both. I think they'd make an unbeatable team.

You mean like Desantis would run the country while Trump would sit in the back room getting in twitter fights with celebrities? Like that kind of team?

On 5/8/2023 at 12:22 PM, Iceni warrior said:

I never did understand why the hard right have such a hatred for it. 

The MAGA hats seem to think it was some commie plot to turn us all into paupers. 

Maybe because it hollowed out America by sending all the manufacturing and industrial jobs to China and elsewhere? Sure, jobs flooded in, but they're knowledge jobs meant for people with IT degrees in big urban centres. Globalism has been very good for Seattle, San Francisco and New York. Not so good for Michigan, Ohio and Illinois (except for Chicago, of course). You think middle America has turned to meth because of how great globalism has been for them?

By the way, the middle class in the US has shrunk from about 61% of the population to 51% over that period.

In fact, the middle class is shrinking all across the western world, and their share of income is decreasing.

https://qz.com/1592826/the-middle-class-is-shrinking-generation-by-generation