More leaks from CSIS on China's interference in Canada

17 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No one, including yourself, has any idea what you're talking about.

ROFLMAO - i'm literally replying to a post where you admitted you knew what i was talking about.

Everyone knows kiddo.  When you get caught doing something you go back and change your post to pretend it didn't happen. You're that kind of person ;)

But to be honest looking at people's comments everyone knew you were a liar and dishoenst person long before then. So i doubt it changed anyone's opinion of you.

So, when you claim you own your mistakes we ALL know that's a complete lie. You will go to great lengths if you can to deny your mistakes.  As i suspect your next post is about to do again :)  But - we all know you and what you do.

3 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

Who doesn't like to get their oats?

other AFC members included

Henry Ford, Charles Lindbergh, General Robert Wood

Medal of Honor recipient Eddie Rickenbacker

Joseph P. Kennedy, sr

even future President Gerald R. Ford was an America Firster

18 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

ROFLMAO - i'm literally replying to a post where you admitted you knew what i was talking about.

No you're simply putting your words in my mouth, again. It's your go-to shtick when all else fails you, which is pretty much everything.

I won't bore anyone else with actual evidence of this because they've seen it all before.

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

You would think that intuitively but unfortunately no.  It would help prevent it from getting worse in the SHORT term but wouldn't resolve it and the benefits would only last a few years.

The reason for this is the way our systems are currently set up and operating the real estate construction will ALWAYS lag need. So if we slow population growth there will be a natural slowing of building which will happen a short time later.

There are a number of things which will need to change before the problem can be solved, and every year we wait we get further behind, meaning it'll take longer to get back to sanity.

Well...that works financially for me but, if that's always the way its been...and it makes sense...then those young people who want a house, might just have to scrimp and save...like we did.

37 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Well...that works financially for me but, if that's always the way its been...and it makes sense...then those young people who want a house, might just have to scrimp and save...like we did.

Well it wasn't ALWAYS this way - it USED to be that real estate developers were basically punished for building for future needs, they were only able to build for today's needs. So in a growing population that was not great but it was still manageable.

Basically now they're only financially allowed to provide for YESTERDAY'S needs. Which means the situation is now getting worse and will continue to do so as long as there is ANY population growth. The population would need to shrink for things to get better and shrinking populations have significant problems of their own.

So the challenge is that if we don't get at least back to providing for today's needs the kids may find that scrimping and saving doesn't cut it. They may have to go to alternate solutions like living in rv's on the street or the like.

30 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Well it wasn't ALWAYS this way - it USED to be that real estate developers were basically punished for building for future needs, they were only able to build for today's needs. So in a growing population that was not great but it was still manageable.

Basically now they're only financially allowed to provide for YESTERDAY'S needs. Which means the situation is now getting worse and will continue to do so as long as there is ANY population growth. The population would need to shrink for things to get better and shrinking populations have significant problems of their own.

So the challenge is that if we don't get at least back to providing for today's needs the kids may find that scrimping and saving doesn't cut it. They may have to go to alternate solutions like living in rv's on the street or the like.

Or...have parents who saw what was happening and mitigated the risk.

7 hours ago, Nationalist said:

The standard model for just about every young person I know who's fortunate enough to get into buying around here incorporates a rental suite, typically a bnb. It's just about the only way to pull it off in such an expensive place. 

It's also the model most of the seniors I know who are determined to stay in the area as long as possible follow. Fortunately we have a strong tourist market which has unfortunately impacted housing. It's easy to see why though, I know it's the easiest money I've ever made.

We're fortunate to have enough rural land to allow for more than one residential building/suite. We make a killing off the str and have clean consciences providing affordable housing to a really handy jack-of-all-trades sort of guy we've known for years.  Our hope is that our kids can benefit from the place long after we're gone. I've been an area planning commissioner arguing for greater density around here for 25 years and now its happening.? 

Edited by eyeball

8 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Sure. Or parents who have houses and will leave it behind.

OR EVEN what we're seeing more of - multigenerational homes, where the kids take over a part of the larger house that's now a little big for the parents and then start raising their own family. You've got built in daycare for the kids, help for the parents, extra retirement income for the parents and very affordable rent for the kids, and eventually when the parents "Move on" so to speak the kids take over and the process can repeat.

And that's now. within 5 years this is going to get completely stupid, and the young kids will be marching in teh streets over how "Unfair" it is. They'll demand stupid things like all landlords be shot and their homes distributed to those who don't own one (Forgetting that would mean there's no rental units any more).

This is going to be a bid deal if the gov't doesn't do SOMETHING and there's not much they can do to fix things in the short term.

8 hours ago, eyeball said:

The standard model for just about every young person I know who's fortunate enough to get into buying around here incorporates a rental suite, typically a bnb. It's just about the only way to pull it off in such an expensive place. 

It's also the model most of the seniors I know who are determined to stay in the area as long as possible follow. Fortunately we have a strong tourist market which has unfortunately impacted housing. It's easy to see why though, I know it's the easiest money I've ever made.

We're fortunate to have enough rural land to allow for more than one residential building/suite. We make a killing off the str and have clean consciences providing affordable housing to a really handy jack-of-all-trades sort of guy we've known for years.  Our hope is that our kids can benefit from the place long after we're gone.

Well done.

5 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Sure. Or parents who have houses and will leave it behind.

OR EVEN what we're seeing more of - multigenerational homes, where the kids take over a part of the larger house that's now a little big for the parents and then start raising their own family. You've got built in daycare for the kids, help for the parents, extra retirement income for the parents and very affordable rent for the kids, and eventually when the parents "Move on" so to speak the kids take over and the process can repeat.

And that's now. within 5 years this is going to get completely stupid, and the young kids will be marching in teh streets over how "Unfair" it is. They'll demand stupid things like all landlords be shot and their homes distributed to those who don't own one (Forgetting that would mean there's no rental units any more).

This is going to be a bid deal if the gov't doesn't do SOMETHING and there's not much they can do to fix things in the short term.

There is 1 thing that can be done, but it would be a bit costly. 

Look at the skyline of all major cities. Tall, empty towers. Instead of forcing people back to them, convert them to apartments. 

3 hours ago, Nationalist said:

There is 1 thing that can be done, but it would be a bit costly. 

Look at the skyline of all major cities. Tall, empty towers. Instead of forcing people back to them, convert them to apartments. 

Well it's not a bad idea of course but sadly it wouldn't even make a blip. And you run back into the same problems - just getting approval to do the work would take 2 or 3 years, and by then the population has increased more than the benefit of those conversions.

And in fact it's not like it hasn't happened - the old "woodwards" building which sat empty for years in vancouver was proposed to do exactly that, along with some low income rental to help alleviate that issue in the downtown core.  Then the city wanted more low income, then they had other requirements, the developer threw up his hands and walked because it wasn't going to be profitable anymore, then councils changed and finally a deal was reached and eventually work began but it too, MANY years before the first wall was torn down inside.

In the end it's not that we COULDN'T build enough buildings. But our entire system is designed in such a way that it prevents it from ever happening without making significant changes.

51 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

I take some of this back, as it seems I was not up to date.

UPDATE: Even Trudeau came out now. He says: "Canada will not be intimated" via Agence France Presse. 

⬆️ Canada has declared Chinese diplomat Zhao Wei 'persona non grata' after days of pressure from opposition parties.

The diplomat has five days to leave Canada after being accused of targeting Conservative MP Michael Chong's family living in Hong Kong.

via CBC.

china-hongkong-security-canada.JPG

It also appears that the communists retaliated today:

• China expels Canadian consul in Shanghai, one day after Ottawa orders Chinese diplomat out

I will give Trudeau credit for that

credit where credit is due