Jump to content

Ontario considering restricting Gambling Advertising


Recommended Posts

https://www.cp24.com/sports/ontario-proposing-to-ban-online-gambling-ads-featuring-athletes-celebrities-1.6355087

Quote

 

Online gambling operators in Ontario could soon be banned from featuring athletes and celebrities in their commercials.

The ban is being proposed by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission (AGCO), which said the goal is to minimize “potential harm to youth and children.”

The Crown agency noted that part of its mandate is to monitor and identify “emerging risks” and update the standards to mitigate them.

 

Gambling sites must be the #1 funder of Sports media these days. You can't watch a sporting event without being inundated with Gambling ads. 

I don't oppose Sports Gambling. As gambling goes, it's probably the fairest method, but the marketing has gone too far. 

Sure free market, whatever. It's a highly addictive activity that should be regulated. If that means not glorifying like the sites do now, I'm all for it.

What really bugs me, and isn't addressed here, is how Sports media has completely sold its soul to Gambling companies. For every NFL game shown on Canadian TV last year, they included a sponsored segment that looked an awful lot like a real pre-game show. It would would be so easy, and likely, for Fan Duel to dictate the result its talent to promotes based on what would benefit them. The House wins when an equal number of people bet for each result, so if too many people are betting for a result, tell the talent that NO! actually I think the Jaguars can cover here. 

It's really gross. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Boges said:

Sure, but using an Athlete or a "real" celebrity ads more credibility. 

Point is, they are banning them.

I am quite sure the gambling sites are not going to stop advertising. The "Athlete or a "real" celebrity" will have to find other sponsorship deals :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Point is, they are banning them.

I am quite sure the gambling sites are not going to stop advertising. The "Athlete or a "real" celebrity" will have to find other sponsorship deals :)

Sure, as said, I would actually restrict Sports Gambling more than what's proposed here. 

It's really become almost an invasive disease in Canada since it was allowed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Boges said:

It's a highly addictive activity that should be regulated.

Just like they regulate regular gambling?

The whole point of gambling in general, takes advantage of vulnerable demographics. Especially lotteries.

Main reason you see tons of gambling spots and alcohol stores in poor neighborhoods. This is not accidental. People hard up on cash  are likelier to having drinking and substance abuse problems, along with gambling addictions.

People hard up on cash often won't have the education level to know the futile odds of winning millions. 

This is advertised heavily in such neighborhoods. 

What they don't show you are those who buy much more than they can afford as they were heavily marketed to with large winnings. 

That, or that person at a casino or at home, gambling away money they needed, and committing suicide. 

News prevents statistics on these to be released. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why does the government want to use its power to stop these online gambling companies from advertising? Hmm hmm hmm. I wonder what it could be.

Could it be... because it takes away from their revenue at Ontario- sanctioned casinos and lottery ticket sales?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Why does the government want to use its power to stop these online gambling companies from advertising? Hmm hmm hmm. I wonder what it could be.

Could it be... because it takes away from their revenue at Ontario- sanctioned casinos and lottery ticket sales?

Can't be. Governments are there to protect us. Our votes matter less to them than our safety.

Being a politician is synonymous with altruism and honesty. 

Any more, and you'd be a used car salesman (or person, to wokespeak). Your comment is appalling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Can't be. Governments are there to protect us. Our votes matter less to them than our safety.

Being a politician is synonymous with altruism and honesty. 

Any more, and you'd be a used car salesman (or person, to wokespeak). Your comment is appalling.

You would think by the way these clods here all harmoniously chime in, the government's doing a great job.

These people cannot be that stupid, can they? Yet they are.

Meanwhile the reality is that we are not getting anywhere in terms of tangible social "improvements". In fact the opposite. I'm sure I can go out and show how poverty is on the rise, and ironically its people on social assistance who gamble a lot. As in more than most people consider normal.

So, you want to do something about gambling, level the playing field. Shut down the casinos and the 649. Don't act like you're trying to protect people as a coverup for lining government coffers.

Lotteries go back centuries, used as a way for kings to refill their vaults with wealth. Then it's ever on with the debaucherie.

Meanwhile the people shall eat Bubble and Squeak...

Edited by OftenWrong
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2023 at 10:26 PM, OftenWrong said:

So, you want to do something about gambling, level the playing field. Shut down the casinos and the 649. Don't act like you're trying to protect people as a coverup for lining government coffers.

They kind of did by allowing these new sites to operate. They could just make it ProLine you could bet on sports, like had been the case for decades before. 

But now these sites are flooding sports media with ads. It's a bit of a cesspool right now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

What a pointless venture.. folks who want to gamble or bet on sports will find a way.

Well they won't have to find a way - they're still allowing the gambling. This is just to cut back on using famous sports people etc to advertize for it. There will still be regular advertising.
 

Which i guess arguably makes this even more pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Well they won't have to find a way - they're still allowing the gambling. This is just to cut back on using famous sports people etc to advertize for it. There will still be regular advertising.
 

Which i guess arguably makes this even more pointless.

So the real question is the aesthetics.. This just shows how bored some people are. Advertising with random pro athlete or advertising without it... both are advertising.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

So the real question is the aesthetics.. This just shows how bored some people are. Advertising with random pro athlete or advertising without it... both are advertising.. 

Yeah.  Essentially.  It's apperently immoral for sports figures to promote gambling but perfectly ok for the gov't to.

Reminds me of when bob rae passed a law to shut down stores on sundays (back in those days the sabbath was still a topic).  But he allowed casinos.

The joke at the time was a picture of him  saying  "I won't have the people of the province shopping for satan on sunday when they should be gambling for god and gov't".  ;)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Yeah.  Essentially.  It's apperently immoral for sports figures to promote gambling but perfectly ok for the gov't to.

Reminds me of when bob rae passed a law to shut down stores on sundays (back in those days the sabbath was still a topic).  But he allowed casinos.

The joke at the time was a picture of him  saying  "I won't have the people of the province shopping for satan on sunday when they should be gambling for god and gov't".  ;)

 

So the privately held casinos do not do their own advertising? The govt does it for them... if so, that is strange. As you know, I live in NV where gambling is ubiquitous. You do not see a lot of advertising by casinos on local TV.. If so, it is mostly to promote an event such as a convention or concert. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

So the privately held casinos do not do their own advertising? The govt does it for them... if so, that is strange.

They're not exactly privately held. It's not like vegas. There are slightly different arrangements between vairous provinces but the gov't takes a very significant share of the profits and yes, often does the advertising especially for gambling like the lotteries. Local gov't and charaties also get their share. I believe in bc for example it's a 50 50 split

Here's how the gov't divvies up its' share in bc. GOv'ts and local groups raked in 3 billion bucks in the last year i believe.

THe gov't is a substantial partner in the industry.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/gambling-fundraising/gambling-in-bc/where-money-goes

 

11 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

As you know, I live in NV where gambling is ubiquitous. You do not see a lot of advertising by casinos on local TV.. If so, it is mostly to promote an event such as a convention or concert. 

Well there you go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

They're not exactly privately held. It's not like vegas. There are slightly different arrangements between vairous provinces but the gov't takes a very significant share of the profits and yes, often does the advertising especially for gambling like the lotteries. Local gov't and charaties also get their share. I believe in bc for example it's a 50 50 split

Here's how the gov't divvies up its' share in bc. GOv'ts and local groups raked in 3 billion bucks in the last year i believe.

THe gov't is a substantial partner in the industry.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/gambling-fundraising/gambling-in-bc/where-money-goes

 

Well there you go.

casinos do pay taxes as you know. too many to really list off here but the profits are dealt with in the normal fashion depending on ownership structure. 

That's interesting. We do not have a state lottery here in NV for obvious reasons. However, those stores in CA that are close to the stateline do very, very well when the lottery jackpots reach a high enough level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

casinos do pay taxes as you know. too many to really list off here but the profits are dealt with in the normal fashion depending on ownership structure.

Trust me - this is a little different. This isn't taxes. They will still pay taxes above and beyond this. I don't know if it's still this way but historically the casinos in bc didn't even own the business license to operate.  A charitable group would get the permit for a number of days and then the casino would share their profits with them and the gov't. The charity was supposed to provide 'voluneers' to watch over the casino and make sure they operated legitimately but honestly the money gets counted and changes hands so fast i coudln't have told you if they'd pocketed half of it. :)

36 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:



That's interesting. We do not have a state lottery here in NV for obvious reasons. However, those stores in CA that are close to the stateline do very, very well when the lottery jackpots reach a high enough level. 

We have provincial lottos and pull tabs and scratch and wins of all kind :)  It's generally known as '!diot tax" but it's still fun to play. An extended family member did win a very substantial amount once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

So the real question is the aesthetics.. This just shows how bored some people are. Advertising with random pro athlete or advertising without it... both are advertising.. 

It's kind of like plain advertising on Tobacco products. Don't glorify gambling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a major sports fan. College football, pro baskeball, and the NHL are my big 3. My passion stems from the narrative, the story, and the game itself. I find gambling on it demeans it. Should I use my considerable knowledge for possible gain? Maybe but there is that word.. "possible". If I am going to put my money on something, I want something with far greater chance of returning a profit than betting on sports or gambling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,744
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    John Wilson
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

    • Fluffypants went up a rank
      Rising Star
    • exPS earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • gatomontes99 went up a rank
      Proficient
    • phoenyx75 earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • phoenyx75 earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...