Man accused of fatally stabbing teen at Toronto subway station had lengthy criminal history: court documents

I was just reading this article to my high-strung Euro-wife. She made an excellent point.

She's a bartender. If she serves a person and that person goes out and drives and causes an accident, she can be charged. Question: Can the judges who let this POS out in public, get charged too?

On 3/31/2023 at 8:59 AM, I am Groot said:

They need to be gotten off the streets by whatever means works.

That's right!  I wrote to our (NDP) MP the other day and told him about the stabbing at Starbucks that killed a 37 year old father in front of his wife and toddler.  I told him government and the system are not protecting society.  Dangerous people with mental issues should be in mental institutions.  Just telling them to go get counseling is not working.  They don't pay attention because they are mentally ill to begin with.  They are a threat to everyone.

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

That's right!  I wrote to our (NDP) MP the other day and told him about the stabbing at Starbucks that killed a 37 year old father in front of his wife and toddler.  I told him government and the system are not protecting society.  Dangerous people with mental issues should be in mental institutions.  Just telling them to go get counseling is not working.  They don't pay attention because they are mentally ill to begin with.  They are a threat to everyone.

I'd be interested to know what kind of response you get.  Would you agree to post it on here if and when you get one?

1 minute ago, Contrarian said:

Judicial immunity -> From a legal point of view, judges are generally granted immunity from being sued or charged for actions taken in the course of their official duties. 

From what I have been reading, it is very rare, when they violated legal and ethical standards. 

It looks pretty obvious a few of them have already violated legal and ethical standards.

If the law is unwilling to remove those proven unfit for life in the public, should such a person be...

Sent back out in public?

Jailed...perhaps indefinitely?

Put to death?

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

I was just reading this article to my high-strung Euro-wife. She made an excellent point.

She's a bartender. If she serves a person and that person goes out and drives and causes an accident, she can be charged. Question: Can the judges who let this POS out in public, get charged too?

No. There are specific laws regarding that which protect the justices, police and other such agents.

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

I can already guess -

"Thank you for your letter. This matter is important to many Canadians.  We will forward this to the appropriate minister/shadow cabinet/policy person. 

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I'd be interested to know what kind of response you get.  Would you agree to post it on here if and when you get one?

He likely won't get a response. I've sent emails to my MP and MPP and city councilor in the past. The only one who ever replied was an angry Pierre Poilievre when I told him I was going to vote for the PPC that year instead of his party because at least they had conservative policy proposals.

He basically said Bernier was a nutbar. Which turned out to be correct.

Edited by I am Groot

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

And so they abuse the privilege...marvelous. 

Lets just say they don't lose sleep over it.

Like many of our institutions the legal profession has been taken over by those on the left. Lawyers spend a lot of time in our left wing universities to get their credentials and judges are made from lawyers.  And for whatever reason those on the left REALLY favor the criminal and don't care about the victim.

So they don't spend one second thinking about 'what if this guy kills again, is this fair to that person'.  Nor do they think "wow if this guy kills again will that reflect on me", because they're protected.

Which is why there was no pushback when justin passed laws making it easier for criminals to get out on bail, and why justin's gov't didn't push back as the courts dismantled harper's criminal reforms.

And this is the PREDICABLE result - but they don't care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I am Groot said:

He likely won't get a response. I've sent emails to my MP and MPP and city councilor in the past. The only one who ever replied was an angry Pierre Poilievre when I told him I was going to vote for the PPC that year instead of his party because at least they had conservative policy proposals.

He basically said Bernier was a nutbar. Which turned out to be correct.

That's really not acceptable.  Anyone who is paid by a taxpayer should respond to a communication from a taxpayer.

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Lets just say they don't lose sleep over it.

Like many of our institutions the legal profession has been taken over by those on the left. Lawyers spend a lot of time in our left wing universities to get their credentials and judges are made from lawyers.  And for whatever reason those on the left REALLY favor the criminal and don't care about the victim.

So they don't spend one second thinking about 'what if this guy kills again, is this fair to that person'.  Nor do they think "wow if this guy kills again will that reflect on me", because they're protected.

Which is why there was no pushback when justin passed laws making it easier for criminals to get out on bail, and why justin's gov't didn't push back as the courts dismantled harper's criminal reforms.

And this is the PREDICABLE result - but they don't care.

Which really sounds like social engineering. 

44 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Which really sounds like social engineering. 

Sure.  Now - one might argue that locking people up to keep the public safe is also a form of social engineering. But - the problem is that the current social engineering is more like social experimentation and it's being done at the expense of the innocent and the victims and those they leave behind or who count on them.

And that's the problem. Social experiments with mass murderers or those who are CHRONICALLY violent are highly questionable ethically.

We SHOULD be weighing the safety of the public and the rights to the victims to justice as much as we do the rights of the victim  - especially with sentancing. Fine if you want to make it hard to convict to protect the wrongfully accused, but once he's been found guilty then the victims and the people in the community SHOULD matter.

But while judges occasionally pay a little cautious lip service to that to sound like they care.... the vast majority do not and don't apologize for that. If the public has to suffer in order to make sure the 'criminal victim' mass murderer has his rights then so be it and they'll sleep like a baby that night.

I don't know what the answer is. Other than hope the CPC gets in and then cheats and stacks the judges benches with as many right leaning lawyers as they can find, which is what the liberals did on the left.

"Electing" judges comes up once in a while - remember we elected trudeau. Three times.   I doubt it would be much different with judges. This woman doesn't want to blame the killer and the killer killed her son for god's sake.

11 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Sure.  Now - one might argue that locking people up to keep the public safe is also a form of social engineering. But - the problem is that the current social engineering is more like social experimentation and it's being done at the expense of the innocent and the victims and those they leave behind or who count on them.

And that's the problem. Social experiments with mass murderers or those who are CHRONICALLY violent are highly questionable ethically.

We SHOULD be weighing the safety of the public and the rights to the victims to justice as much as we do the rights of the victim  - especially with sentancing. Fine if you want to make it hard to convict to protect the wrongfully accused, but once he's been found guilty then the victims and the people in the community SHOULD matter.

But while judges occasionally pay a little cautious lip service to that to sound like they care.... the vast majority do not and don't apologize for that. If the public has to suffer in order to make sure the 'criminal victim' mass murderer has his rights then so be it and they'll sleep like a baby that night.

I don't know what the answer is. Other than hope the CPC gets in and then cheats and stacks the judges benches with as many right leaning lawyers as they can find, which is what the liberals did on the left.

"Electing" judges comes up once in a while - remember we elected trudeau. Three times.   I doubt it would be much different with judges. This woman doesn't want to blame the killer and the killer killed her son for god's sake.

I know what the answer is, but it's semi-abhorent. Find a person guilty of murder...March the person immediately out back to the firing squad...and end it.

35 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

I know what the answer is, but it's semi-abhorent. Find a person guilty of murder...March the person immediately out back to the firing squad...and end it.

the problem is you won't get to make that decision - judges will. And judges would never do that to a 'poor misunderstood killer' like the defendant. 

It's not his fault you know - it's the system.

Remember - these are the people who said locking him away for life was 'cruel and unusual' punishment

15 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

the problem is you won't get to make that decision - judges will. And judges would never do that to a 'poor misunderstood killer' like the defendant. 

It's not his fault you know - it's the system.

Remember - these are the people who said locking him away for life was 'cruel and unusual' punishment

Sigh...it's our own fault eventually.

16 hours ago, Nationalist said:

You really have that much confidence in our criminal justice system to always make the right decision?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Yes. At the end of the day in a democracy it's our own fault eventually.

We dont' get involved in politics anymore. We should be very involved in the local riding - almost nobody is. we should help pick candidates - almost nobody does. We should help pick leaders - this time was better for the cpc but traditionally few do.  We should be involved in policy conventions but that doesn't happen for most people.  And even the easiest part - the part that requires almost no effort - we should make a good choice and go out and vote and select the best leaders for the country and  only about 65 percent of us can even be bothered to show up to vote, and of that about 2/3'rs just vote for a party because that's what they always do without even looking at the issues or platform.

And we get poor results. And we're shocked.

On 4/1/2023 at 10:39 AM, blackbird said:

They don't pay attention because they are mentally ill to begin with.  They are a threat to everyone.

It needs to be pointed out that mentally ill people suffer more violence at the hands of the mentality fit than the other way around.

Large segments of our society still regard mental illness as something that's the victim's fault or the fault of the parents.

People like this have no business talking about it never mind making suggestions as to what should be done. AFAIC governments that are more liberal and that pay short shrift to mental illness are actually worse because their timidity in the face of soft-on-crime rhetoric only helps to perpetuate the lack of adequate funding for mental illness.

I note that suggestions that MAID for the mentality ill should be postponed until the effect of greater funding for treating mental illness can be measured. Of course now we'll just need more funding so we can do that.

19 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I personally blame the media for most of our evils.

Honestly, they don't get "freedom of the press" to inflict their own political beliefs on us, it's to let us know what's happening, yet the media in NA seem to feel like it's their duty to provide us with enough disinformation to incite violent riots for people who were killed while assaulting police.

Why is there no similar outrage for murdered women, or people murdered by repeat violent offenders? We're supposed to feel sorry for the perps (and assume that they're always white) and I don't get it. 

Edited by WestCanMan

10 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

I personally blame the media for most of our evils.

Honestly, they don't get "freedom of the press" to inflict their own political beliefs on us, it's to let us know what's happening, yet the media in NA seem to feel like it's their duty to provide us with enough disinformation to incite violent riots for people who were killed while assaulting police.

Why is there no similar outrage for murdered women, or people murdered by repeat violent offenders? We're supposed to feel sorry for the perps (and assume that they're always white) and I don't get it. 

There's an argument for that - but it still comes back to the people.

Media doesn't exist in a vacuum. If people didn't want to be lied to by the media, the media couldn't survive by lying. 

Media is downstream of culture, and politics is downstream of media. At the end of the day it's still about the people.

6 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Yes. At the end of the day in a democracy it's our own fault eventually.

We dont' get involved in politics anymore. We should be very involved in the local riding - almost nobody is. we should help pick candidates - almost nobody does. We should help pick leaders - this time was better for the cpc but traditionally few do.  We should be involved in policy conventions but that doesn't happen for most people.  And even the easiest part - the part that requires almost no effort - we should make a good choice and go out and vote and select the best leaders for the country and  only about 65 percent of us can even be bothered to show up to vote, and of that about 2/3'rs just vote for a party because that's what they always do without even looking at the issues or platform.

And we get poor results. And we're shocked.

Agreed. I wonder how much time it would take to get directly involved...

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

There's an argument for that - but it still comes back to the people.

Media doesn't exist in a vacuum. If people didn't want to be lied to by the media, the media couldn't survive by lying. 

Media is downstream of culture, and politics is downstream of media. At the end of the day it's still about the people.

People don't want to think for themselves. Most prefer to be lead. Told what to do...what to think.

The press and politicians know that. They count on it. And it works.