Man accused of fatally stabbing teen at Toronto subway station had lengthy criminal history: court documents

https://globalnews.ca/news/9584241/toronto-teen-stabbed-accused-criminal-history/

Here we go again - out on probation after MULTIPLE violent crimes and multiple breeches of probation and court orders before and we're shocked when he just ups and stabs someone. It's pretty much daily now. All the violence is being done by people who have previously been violent. It's almost like violent people are violent.

But perhaps the worst part of the story is this:

In an interview with Global News on Monday, Magalhaes’ mother, Andrea Magalhaes, said she doesn’t blame the individual who killed her son.

“I know a lot of my family members and close friends are enraged and they are blaming the person who stabbed Gabriel. They blame him. I personally — I don’t know where I am my feelings are all over the place — but right now I don’t blame him. I blame the system,” she said.

Story continues below advertisement

“Why wasn’t he getting any help? … If we’re going to look into fixing the problem, it’s way deeper than just getting some security guards at the subway (and) on the streets. We need proper supports in place. Instead of cutting funds to health care. We need to be investing more. This is a rich city. We pay a lot of taxes we want our money to go towards safety.”

Andrea said the solution to the problem has to “start from the bottom” and called for more supports and social services.

This is truly disgusting. The parents of the dead teen don't blame the killer. Noooo - not his fault. He didn't get enough cuddles. The system let him down. He wasn't properly breast fed as a child.

THIS IS WHY WE HAVE THIS PROBLEM TODAY.   NOBODY wants to hold anyone responsible for their actions. She doesn't ask "why was he not in jail being held responsible for his previous crimes?"  She doesn't want him locked up for life now.  She wants the SYSTEM to be held to account FOR NOT GIVING HIM ENOUGH HEALTH CARE. 

Biatch - this is EXACTLY why your child is dead. People didn't want to hold this guy responsible.  Your son deserved better than you as a parent.  NOTHING changes tiil we decide the criminal is responsible for his actions and the rights and safety of the public is AT LEAST as important as his rights.

• Like 1

Agreed. There is a permissiveness in our legal/judicial system which does not come from the will of the people but the hand-wringing attempt at being 'tolerant' and 'understanding' of the progressive left. I read a saying somewhere to the effect that being merciful to the guilty is being cruel to the innocent. And that's how things have worked out.

In order to be respectful and understanding and merciful to a comparative handful of drug addicts and people with untreated psychological/emotional problems we're being cruel to the great mass of citizens forced to cope with their violence, their disgusting, unhealthy lifestyles, the eyesore of their tent cities taking away people's parks and green spaces, and forcing parents to keep children indoors.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

So if you were in control of the justice system.. in short, what would you do?

That's way too complicated to answer on an internet forum but here's the short short incomplete version ;)

Ratchet up incarceration times for violent offenders, create a 'dangerous offender' designation that is basically life in prison until we have reason to believe you're cured for repeat violent offenders,

Reinstate the consecutive life sentances for mass murderers.

bring back serious sentances (mandatory if necessary) for genuinely criminal gun crimes, such as walking around with a loaded glock stuffed down your pants.

No special consideration due to race.

REPEAL Trudeau's bail law and stiffen bail rules.

And you need to institute MUCH better rehabilitation and re-integration programs and build more prisons.

Some of that will require the use of the 'notwithstanding' clause. So be it.

But that would be a good start.

Edited by CdnFox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

That's way too complicated to answer on an internet forum but here's the short short incomplete version ;)

Ratchet up incarceration times for violent offenders, create a 'dangerous offender' designation that is basically life in prison until we have reason to believe you're cured for repeat violent offenders,

Reinstate the consecutive life sentances for mass murderers.

bring back serious sentances (mandatory if necessary) for genuinely criminal gun crimes, such as walking around with a loaded glock stuffed down your pants.

No special consideration due to race.

REPEAL Trudeau's bail law and stiffen bail rules.

And you need to institute MUCH better rehabilitation and re-integration programs and build more prisons.

Some of that will require the use of the 'notwithstanding' clause. So be it.

But that would be a good start.

Do not have really much to add to this. Well said. 

2 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

So if you were in control of the justice system.. in short, what would you do?

Reinstate the law against vagrancy. Arrest them all. Those who refuse treatment for addiction never get out. Those with psychiatric problems get treated whether they approve or not. If they're untreatable or have shown they won't stick to a necessary drug regime then lock them up in a psychiatric facility. 

And yes, the above includes improved rehab/psychiatric treatment.

Also, much more severe penalties for violence and repeat offenses. I'm not saying three strikes and you get life but for damned sure if you've gotten it up to thirty strikes you ain't getting out again.

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Reinstate the law against vagrancy. Arrest them all. Those who refuse treatment for addiction never get out. Those with psychiatric problems get treated whether they approve or not. If they're untreatable or have shown they won't stick to a necessary drug regime then lock them up in a psychiatric facility. 

And yes, the above includes improved rehab/psychiatric treatment.

Also, much more severe penalties for violence and repeat offenses. I'm not saying three strikes and you get life but for damned sure if you've gotten it up to thirty strikes you ain't getting out again.

decent idea IMO. In most places, this would demand a massive increase in the police budget and corrections as well. Something that most are not willing to do. We have a disproportionate high number of homeless here in Reno. When someone brings up your ideas, they give the funding number needed and the subsequent increase in taxation and the room goes silent.. followed by next topic. 

34 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

decent idea IMO. In most places, this would demand a massive increase in the police budget and corrections as well. Something that most are not willing to do.

I don't think it would require any more police. Just scoop them up from their camps, stick them in buses, and ship them to jail for processing. After that there'd be a LOT less work for police to do.

2 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

it's important to consider the practicality and potential consequences of the proposed solution.

Such images, non-stop on every channel, being forcibly removed and sent to jail without due process would be highly controversial and could lead to significant backlash, political and otherwise, is my opinion. 

Don't care. The crazy people will always protest. I saw one on the news this morning from drooling lunatics demanding Roxham road be reopened. They don't represent anyone but a tiny minority. Most people would be delighted that something was finally getting done, and that people suffering addiction and psychiatric issues would now be treated.

36 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

I don't think it would require any more police. Just scoop them up from their camps, stick them in buses, and ship them to jail for processing. After that there'd be a LOT less work for police to do.

its called opportunity cost. Having a short-staffed police force spend most , if not all, of their time on this would be at the detriment of them being able to work on other bigger crimes. Honestly what is a more serious crime.. rape or vagrancy?

3 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

its called opportunity cost. Having a short-staffed police force spend most , if not all, of their time on this would be at the detriment of them being able to work on other bigger crimes. Honestly what is a more serious crime.. rape or vagrancy?

So you pay overtime for a week. How much of police resources are used up month in and month out by these people and their repeat offenses? How much opportunity cost is involved there?

1 minute ago, Contrarian said:
  • The issue however is practical, such images, will destroy someone political. 

I think you are vastly overestimating what damage such images would cause to a conservative. Maybe it would damage an NDP politician, but then they'd never give such orders. The people who vote conservative or are prepared to vote conservative are not going to be bothered by such things. They'll be MORE likely to vote conservative afterward.

1 minute ago, Contrarian said:

Yes, but I don't really care what a conversative thinks, because in order to wins elections, you need middle of the roaders to come along. 

I highly doubt such images would play well in someone's household that does not follow politics that much but votes anyways on voting day.

The last thing, such people need after a work day to see people being taken away as cattle in buses by their country. Because rest assured, the media will play them, hourly. 

How old are you? I am old enough to remember the Mike Harris days in Ontario. Ah, the ferocity of the opposition! The endless protests and strikes! The accusations and drama! And he got re-elected with a majority anyway.

And as I said, this wouldn't really bother conservatives OR those who are likely to ever vote conservative. And that includes the moderates who can switch votes. It's really only the ones who wouldn't spit on a conservative if he was on fire who would be outraged.

It's not like people are being carted off to the death camps, y'know. They'd be taken in for processing and interviews to determine what treatment they need. 

1 hour ago, Contrarian said:

I see, so you are saying the political climate during Mike Harris is the same as today where the outrage travels with a click of a Twitter button? 

Yah, I sympatize with conservatives and it would bother me to see this approach and will think twice about it. 

I have no issues for practical solutions as Ford called for more police officers, but to take people as cattle for "interviews" not only is morally incorrect, but just won't sell. This is not Mike Harris's time and not the same generation, is my take. 

These are not exactly people scooped off the streets who are going about their business. These are crazy homeless people living on the streets. They're better off in custody, especially if they can get treatment.

15 hours ago, I am Groot said:

So you pay overtime for a week. How much of police resources are used up month in and month out by these people and their repeat offenses? How much opportunity cost is involved there?

I think that there a lot of legal and logistical factors that you are discounting in the name of convenience. The homeless are not all mentally ill and crazy nor are they violent. Quite a few are mentally ill... as for my source, life experience. I spent time on the street in 1999 and so have first hand knowledge and not just driving by in the safety of my car and taking shots. The first and largest quandary in your theory is that of it being voluntary. If it is voluntary.. you win. If it is involuntary. you run into a whole slough of legal issues. Hopefully, you do not need me to spell out how involuntarily rounding them up and forcing them to work has some legal issues wrapped in it. 

36 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

I think that there a lot of legal and logistical factors that you are discounting in the name of convenience. The homeless are not all mentally ill and crazy nor are they violent. Quite a few are mentally ill... as for my source, life experience. I spent time on the street in 1999 and so have first hand knowledge and not just driving by in the safety of my car and taking shots. The first and largest quandary in your theory is that of it being voluntary. If it is voluntary.. you win. If it is involuntary. you run into a whole slough of legal issues. Hopefully, you do not need me to spell out how involuntarily rounding them up and forcing them to work has some legal issues wrapped in it. 

Almost everyone on the street has mental issues and/or addiction issues. There are alternatives available and most have been offered these alternatives and refused. They are a constant source of violence, filth and are responsible for greatly diminishing the quality of life in many major cities. In many places, you can't even walk up a street without being assailed by some of these zombie-like creatures begging for money or worse.

They need to be gotten off the streets by whatever means works.

7 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Almost everyone on the street has mental issues and/or addiction issues. There are alternatives available and most have been offered these alternatives and refused. They are a constant source of violence, filth and are responsible for greatly diminishing the quality of life in many major cities. In many places, you can't even walk up a street without being assailed by some of these zombie-like creatures begging for money or worse.

They need to be gotten off the streets by whatever means works.

So first question.. its a big one. Would being taken to this "work camp" be voluntary? Could they leave at any time? 

If not, it is prison. Therefore you would need to prove that they violated the law and did so in such a way as to merit forced imprisonment. I know that you differ but the vast majority of citizens would not put vagrancy in the same class as rape, murder, or robbery. 

3 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

So first question.. its a big one. Would being taken to this "work camp" be voluntary? Could they leave at any time? 

If not, it is prison. Therefore you would need to prove that they violated the law and did so in such a way as to merit forced imprisonment. I know that you differ but the vast majority of citizens would not put vagrancy in the same class as rape, murder, or robbery. 

I'm not sure where you came up with the idea of a work camp as I never mentioned one. They'd be taken to jail for sorting. Those with mental issues would be sent to a hospital. Those with addiction issues would be sent to rehab. The rest, if they had warrants, would be sent to jail. For those few that remained would see social workers about just where they were going to live from now on because it would no longer be on the streets.

And by the way, this envisions spending on temporary emergency shelters for the homeless that would be something like the rooms at the YMCA.

2 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

I'm not sure where you came up with the idea of a work camp as I never mentioned one. They'd be taken to jail for sorting. Those with mental issues would be sent to a hospital. Those with addiction issues would be sent to rehab. The rest, if they had warrants, would be sent to jail. For those few that remained would see social workers about just where they were going to live from now on because it would no longer be on the streets.

And by the way, this envisions spending on temporary emergency shelters for the homeless that would be something like the rooms at the YMCA.

would gong to these temporary homeless shelters be a matter of choice?

On 3/30/2023 at 8:23 AM, CdnFox said:

This is truly disgusting. The parents of the dead teen don't blame the killer. Noooo - not his fault. He didn't get enough cuddles. The system let him down. He wasn't properly breast fed as a child.

I'm not sure why the parent's comment doesn't make sense.

The mother is distraught and she is lashing out, but she still correctly identified the only rational, responsible party in the murder of her son: the system.

The murderer doesn't know any better. He offends, re-offends, takes chances with people's lives and health over and over again, and goes in and out of jail like it's no big deal, but at some point that should have stopped before it got this far. 

IMO the parents correctly identified the actual problem here, and imo that's what people should do when something bad happens. If you fail to identify the actual problem then you have almost no chance of fixing it.

This is a problem which will keep on resulting in more women being raped, more children being molested, more drug dealers getting out to sell more dangerous drugs than ever.... Honest to God (I said that unironically, but then I thought of the different churches around the world and their love of children), how many people have been accused of pedophilia more than 20 times before the were stopped? That's a lot of lives ruined for a lack of intelligence, wisdom, compassion and morality. It honestly takes a laundry list of serious character flaws from the people in charge in order for us to end up in the situation we're in. 

46 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

The mother is distraught and she is lashing out, but she still correctly identified the only rational, responsible party in the murder of her son: the system.

That is not the responsible party in the murder of her son.

46 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

The murderer doesn't know any better.

The only reason for that is because nobody considers him to be the responsible party.

47 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

MO the parents correctly identified the actual problem here

Well i hope you're ok with more murdered children then.

Our system has a duty. It is NOT responsible for the actions of others. Letting this murderer walk from his responsibility is why he keeps killing.  It would be nice if the state and parents and so on recognized the duty we have to hold people responsible for their actions. Otherwise - they're not apparently.

Mentally ill people who have given evidence that they are a danger to society, after careful examination of all facts, should be committed to a mental institution.  I will leave the details of how that would work to be decided.  It doesn't matter what a person's past is or how the system failed them.  What matters is society is protected from future harm.

Government and the system are not protecting society.

Edited by blackbird