Adam Zivo: CBC keeps coming to Trudeau's defence over interference scandal

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/cbc-keeps-coming-to-trudeaus-defence-over-interference-scandal

The CBC’s coverage of the China interference scandal has often been questionable and partisan. Though it’s unsurprising that the organization has chosen to act, yet again, as the Liberals’ state-funded PR wing, its recent decision to platform an apologist for Beijing’s genocide against the Uyghurs is a new low.

During the initial phase of the scandal, in mid to late February, the CBC provided relatively little coverage of China’s election meddling. Articles from that time disproportionately focussed on Justin Trudeau’s rebuttals to his critics, including claims that the intelligence leaks detailing Beijing’s interference campaigns were allegedly “inaccurate.”

At the same time, the CBC seemed to frame the scandal as just a Conservative hit job. This narrative was, at first, integral to the Liberals’ attempts to discredit the story: ”We did nothing wrong. The Conservatives are just blowing things out of proportion to manipulate you.”

Consider, for example, how the CBC reported on concerns about Trudeau’s failure to publicly disclose Beijing’s meddling. Political leaders and commentators of all backgrounds found Trudeau’s secrecy concerning, but the CBC largely ignored this, downplayed non-Conservative critics and focussed on Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre.

The headline in the end? “Poilievre accuses Trudeau of ignoring election interference by China.” Through this kind of subtle, but effective, spin, the CBC implied that the scandal was being driven by one man with a political agenda, rather than a chorus of voices from across the political spectrum.

This is yet another in a growing pile of examples of why the CBC really needs to be defunded and cut loose.

They are very clearly shilling for the libs directly, and they're doing so with public money. It's one thing if they're an independent, but to take public money and use it for partisan political purposes is just wrong.

And to make matters worse they're not just covering up the latest liberal gaffe or corruption - they're covering up a serious attempt by another country to interfere in our democracy. Our state broadcaster is covering up the fact another state interfered with us. Using our money to cover the activity of another gov't.

These are bad people who deserve to lose their jobs.

One can acknowledge the bias of a news institution, while acknowledging that they attempt to be objective in certain facets and also that the information landscape would be worse without it.

Pretty much every country has state funded media, and it's easy to understand why.

I will chalk up the odd dichotomy of trusting one government - funded source over another one, and furthermore choosing a foreign owned one while decrying foreign interference as... simple ignorance.  Because I am generous and not a conspiracy theorist.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

One can acknowledge the bias of a news institution, while acknowledging that they attempt to be objective in certain facets and also that the information landscape would be worse without it.

one could. If it were true.

Pretty much every country has state funded media, and it's easy to understand why.

It WAS easy to understand why.  Not so much these days. And it's a dying concept. The ones who really prop the idea up are countries we generally don't like.

I will chalk up the odd dichotomy of trusting one government - funded source over another one, and furthermore choosing a foreign owned one while decrying foreign interference as... simple ignorance.  Because I am generous and not a conspiracy theorist.

What you really mean is you'll sweep the issue under the rug and not address it, attempting to dismiss it as the ignorance of the peasants beneath you who dared bring it up :)  Please.

The cbc bias is severe and constant. We're not talking about letting personal feelings bleed a little into the story here and there. We're talking about very deliberate and identifiable efforts to treat some political parties and stories very differently than others.

Which would be fine if they were independent.  But - at this point the cbc is basically like a billion dollar advertising campaign for the liberals that's funded in part by conservatives. That is not fair.

Defund them entirely and see how they do. Let the market decide if they have value.

17 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

1.   And it's a dying concept. The ones who really prop the idea up are countries we generally don't like.

2. What you really mean is you'll sweep the issue under the rug and not address it, attempting to dismiss it as the ignorance of the peasants beneath you who dared bring it up :)  Please.  

1. Explain ?
2. Do you want to address my points ?  Or would you rather psychoanalyze me, create a strawman Hardner and then poke at it ?

Never mind, I forgot I had you on ignore.  Here's the point again that you ignored: you are picking one government-funded source (The National Post) over another (CBC) and oddly whinging about foreign interference when YOUR source in American owned.

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Explain ?

I'm not sure what you want me to explain there exactly? While most countries have public access broadcasters and some funding, thats being questioned more and more. Places that still maintain a state broadcaster are places like russia and china.

2. Do you want to address my points ?  Or would you rather psychoanalyze me, create a strawman Hardner and then poke at it ?

That was your point. Don't try to dance around it by babbling like a fool. And that was neither a psychoanalysis nor a straw man.  It would be best if you learn what the words you use mean before you use them.

Never mind, I forgot I had you on ignore. 

Ummmmm - i don't think you know what ignore is or how it works. It's not something you'd have to 'remember' if you did it right. 

Here's the point again that you ignored: you are picking one government-funded source (The National Post) over another (CBC) and oddly whinging about foreign interference when YOUR source in American owned.

The national post isn't gov't funded.  And it isn't an american company, Postmedia is canadian.

SO if your point was that you're wrong - well there you go.

The cbc IS in fact gov't funded. To the tune of about 1.5 billion these days. The vast majority of it's money comes from the public. And yet they USE that money for the purpose of supporting one political party above all others by a huge amount.

If it makes you feel better i don't think the gov't should give any media company a penny in money other than ad space revenue as they're a customer like any other  and that business should be distributed.

But the national post is not a gov't paper - it lives or dies on it's business model.  The cbc should go the same way.  It does NOT serve the public any more and shouldn't be funded by the public

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Places that still maintain a state broadcaster are places like russia and china.

Yes it seems like a hold-over from the militant past, meaning WW1 and WW2 as there was no radio or TV before then.

However the BBC is still the state broadcaster in UK, I think. And Canada is highly basked on their political model. Therefore as usual I blame the British.

• Like 1

Just now, OftenWrong said:

Yes it seems like a hold-over from the militant past, meaning WW1 and WW2 as there was no radio or TV before then.

However the BBC is still the state broadcaster in UK, I think. And Canada is highly basked on their political model. Therefore as usual I blame the British.

They're actually having a big argument as to whether the bbc is a "state" or "public" broadcaster and what that means and whether it should continue.

However - as we're going through the same thing basically and as i approve of blaming the British as a general principle I'm going to say i agree.

8 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Actually, go and Google what countries have state funded media and you'll find a lot more than North Korea, Canada and the UK.  

I am really at a loss to understand the populist stance on media.  It's entirely unprincipled.

They don't like foreign interference, or government money but they support the National Post. They share memes from offshore nefarious sources. They hate msm, and foreign billionaires but they love Fox and Murdoch.

No principles.

13 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Actually, go and Google what countries have state funded media and you'll find a lot more than North Korea, Canada and the UK.  

Well you're playing with terms there a bit.  And the brits are locked in this debate right now as well - they refer to it as the difference between 'state ' media and 'public' media - suggesting that one is driven by a state agenda and seriously controlled whereas the other is more open and allows for a wider range of opinion and voice.

THe CBC is extremely rigidly controlled and is the state voice for the liberals.  So - it's more like state media. And not many countries have that any more. And the ones who do aren't very nice as a rule.

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I am really at a loss to understand the populist stance on media.  It's entirely unprincipled.

That's because you're not being honest about it.

They don't like foreign interference, or government money but they support the National Post.

The national post is owned by postmedia - a CANADIAN company.  And what they don't like is foreign government interference in our gov't.  Nobody is saying other people can't own a business in Canada.

But - must cover your liberal masters i guess. right?

They share memes from offshore nefarious sources. They hate msm, and foreign billionaires but they love Fox and Murdoch.

Who is this specifically.  I doubt anyone here spends much time watching fox.

No principles.

Agreed - you have no principles.

If you have to lie to make a point, you probably don't have a very good point.

Just now, Contrarian said:

I don't think you understood what Michael said. 

I understood just fine.

Anyhow, that message was not for low IQs that follow National Post after making some money in the stock market, troll.

ROFLMAO - i don't know what drugs you're talking this morning but as god as my witness it's hilarious. You clearly think i'm someone i'm not and you're freaking out :)   Well- always fun to watch the monkeys in the zoo - you go.

Anyone can do that. 

The question is, what are you doing here, using PP's name and pushing propaganda in his name?!

Using PP's name?  I have never pretended to be Pollievre even once.  What the hell are you talking about?

I like PP, wil probably do propaganda for him at the centirst blog, but the sheep under him, how can I (I used "I" not "we" ascowrs do) have tolerance towards ilk like you, brother?!

Jezus it's so painful to read your crap sometimes - it's like watching a drunk preschooler try to write.

So - you like PP. But you're mad for some reason that I like PP. Because of the national post. But - you intend to 'do propaganda' for him. But ... something about "ascowrs"...  i don't know....

"brother" - go take your meds. You've completely lost your mind.

44 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

What are those?!

The opposite of the "left wing meds" you mentioned i guess.  It's kind of hard to follow what you mean so it's a little unclear.

Assume responsibility after making some money with the stock market?!

Assume responsibility for what? And why after making money on stocks?

Even a dog can do that, once trained. ?

I think the dog is smarter than you ;)

3 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

Bad news for you, some of us are here, non-political, that will punch you right in the mouth, digitally, when you use manipulation. 

Bad news for you - you're so weak i doubt i'd notice

Agitation from the far left and far right is not welcomed here, at the Radical Centre, boy. ?

Neither is sanity it would seem :)   And you seem to like the far left - you're trying to cancel me so obviously you enjoy the far left's tactics.

Are you SURE you're not putin? You sure do act like him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_public_broadcasters_by_country

To help dampen the hyperbole, here is a list of countries with state media

Africa     ---

Algeria     ---

• Établissement public de télévision — Algeria
    • TV 1: Arabic Channel
    • TV 2: French Channel
    • TV 3: News Channel
    • TV 4: Tamazigth Channel
    • TV 5: Quran Channel
    • TV 6: Youth Channel
    • TV 7: Distance Education Channel
    • TV 8: Algerian History Channel
    • TV 9: Algerian Parliament Channel
  • Radio Algeria

Angola     ---

Benin     ---

Botswana     ---

Burkina Faso     ---

• Radio Télévision du Burkina
    • RTB Télé: General Channel.
    • RTB2 Hauts Bassins: Regional Channel Bobo Dioulasso Region.
    • RTB2 Center: Regional Channel Ouagadougou Region.
    • RTB2 East: Regional Channel East Region.
    • RTB2 South West: Regional Channel Gaoua Region.
    • RTB2 Sahel: Regional Channel Dori Region.
    • RTB2 Center North: Regional Channel Kaya Region.
    • RTB2 Center East: Regional Channel Tenkodogo Region.

Cameroon     ---

Cape Verde     ---

Central African Republic     ---

Chad     ---

Congo (Democratic Republic of)     ---

Congo (Republic of)     ---

Djibouti     ---

Egypt     ---

• ERTU
    • ERTU 1 (Al Oula) – General and informative programming. It began its transmissions in 1960.
    • ERTU 2 (Al Thanya): focused on fiction, entertainment and current affairs programming, launched in 1961.
    • egyptian channel
    • Al Masriya - Channel aimed at the Egyptian diaspora, available since 1990.

Region Channel:

• Cairo Channel - Broadcasts from Cairo and covers the Greater Cairo Governorates i.e. Cairo, Giza and Qalioubia.
    • Alexandria Channel - Broadcasts from Alexandria and covers Alexandria, Al Buhayrah and parts of Matrouh.
    • Channel Channel - Broadcasts from Ismailia and covers Suez Canal Governorates i.e. Ismailia, Suez and Port Said.
    • Delta Channel – Broadcasts from Tanta and covers Central Delta Governorates i.e. Al Gharbiyah, Al Minufiyah, Ad Daqahliyah, Kafr ash Shaykh and Dimyat.
    • Upper Channel – Broadcasts from Minya and covers the Northern Governorates of Upper Egypt, i.e. Minya, El-Fayoum, Beni Suef and Asyut.
    • Thebes Channel - Broadcasts from Aswan and covers the southern governorates of Upper Egypt, i.e. Suhag, Qena, Al Uqsur and Aswan.

Nile Television

Specialty channels include:

• To the Nile
    • Nile Culture Channel
    • Nile Comedy Channel
    • Nile Drama Channel
    • Educational channels of the Nile, various channels for primary, high school, secondary, medical and language education.
    • Nile Family Channel
    • Nile Sports Channel
    • Nile Variety channel, specialized in various forms of entertainment, mainly concerts, music videos, contests and some talk shows.
    • Tanweer channel.

Equatorial Guinea     ---

Eritrea     ---

Eswatini     ---

Ethiopia     ---

Gabon     ---

Gambia     ---

Ghana     ---

Guinea-Bissau     ---

Ivory Coast     ---

Kenya     ---

Liberia     ---

Libya     ---

• LJBC (1977–2011)

Mali     ---

Mauritania     ---

Mauritius     ---

Morocco     ---

Mozambique     ---

Namibia     ---

Niger     ---

Nigeria     ---

Rwanda     ---

São Tomé and Príncipe     ---

Senegal     ---

Sierra Leone     ---

Somalia     ---

South Africa     ---

South Sudan     ---

Sudan     ---

Tanzania     ---

Togo     ---

Tunisia     ---

Uganda     ---

Western Sahara     ---

Zambia     ---

Zimbabwe     ---

Americas     ---

Argentina     ---

Bahamas     ---

Barbados     ---

Bolivia     ---

Brazil     ---

Canada     ---

Chile     ---

Colombia     ---

National     ---

Regional     ---

Local     ---

Costa Rica     ---

Cuba     ---

Dominica     ---

Dominican Republic     ---

Ecuador     ---

El Salvador     ---

Guatemala     ---

Guyana     ---

Haiti     ---

Honduras     ---

• Comisión Nacional de Telecomunicaciones

Jamaica     ---

Mexico     ---

Nicaragua     ---

• Radio Nicaragua

Panama     ---

• Panama National Television

Paraguay     ---

• Paraguay TV
    • Canal 14 de Asunción, Paraguay
    • PyTV News (cable television only)
    • Canal 10 de San Pedro
    • Canal 12 de Pilar
    • Canal 19 de Río Paraguay
  • Cadena de Radio Nacional del Paraguay
    • Radio Nacional 920 AM
    • Eadio Nacional 95.1 FM
    • Radio Nacional San Pedro
    • Radio Nacional Carlos Antonio López de Pilar

Perú     ---

Puerto Rico     ---

Trinidad and Tobago     ---

United States     ---

Uruguay     ---

• Televisión Nacional Uruguay
    • UyTV News (cable television only)
    • Canal 5 de Montevideo, Uruguay
    • Canal 10 de Salto
    • Canal 12 de Rocha
    • Canal 21 de Río Uruguay
  • Cadena de Radio Nacional del Uruguay
    • Radio Clasica
    • Radio Uruguay
    • Emisora del Sur
    • Babel FM

Venezuela     ---

Transnational     ---

Asia     ---

Abkhazia     ---

Afghanistan     ---

Bahrain     ---

Bangladesh     ---

Bhutan     ---

Brunei Darussalam     ---

Cambodia     ---

China     ---

East Timor     ---

Hong Kong     ---

India     ---

Indonesia     ---

Iran     ---

Iraq     ---

Iraqi Kurdistan     ---

Israel     ---

Japan     ---

Jordan     ---

Kazakhstan     ---

Kuwait     ---

• Kuwait Television
    • KTV1
    • KTV2
    • KTV Sport
    • KTV Sport Plus
    • KTV Kids
    • Al Qurain channel
    • Al Araby Channel
    • Ethraa Channel
    • Al Majles Channel

Kyrgyzstan     ---

Lebanon     ---

Malaysia     ---

Macau     ---

Mongolia     ---

Nepal     ---

North Korea     ---

Pakistan     ---

Palestine     ---

Philippines     ---

Qatar     ---

Saudi Arabia     ---

Singapore     ---

South Korea     ---

Sri Lanka     ---

• Sri Lanka Rupavahini Corporation
    • Channel Eye
    • Nethra TV
    • Rupavahini
  • Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation
    • City FM
    • Kothmale FM / Kotmale Community Radio
    • Pirai FM (Muslim)
    • Vidula
    • SLBC Commercial Service (Velanda Sevaya)
    • Thendral FM
    • Radio Sri Lanka
    • SLBC National Service (Swadeshiya Sevaya)
    • SLBC National Service State Tamil
    • SLBC Regional Service (Dabana)
    • SLBC Regional Service (Jaffna)
    • SLBC Regional Service (Kandurata Sevaya)
    • SLBC Regional Service (Rajarata Sevaya)
    • SLBC Regional Service (Ruhunu Sevaya)
    • SLBC Regional Service (Uva)
    • SLBC Regional Service (Wayamba Handa)
    • SLBC Sports Service
  • Independent Television Network
    • ITN Channel
    • Vasanavantham TV
    • Prime TV
    • Vasantham FM
    • Prime Radio
    • ITN FM (formerly Lakhanda radio)

Syria     ---

Taiwan     ---

Tajikistan     ---

Thailand     ---

• Royal Thai Army Radio and Television (TV5 HD)
    • TV 5 Radio (Bangkok Stations)
      • FM 94.0 and 103.5 MHz
      • DAB+ Radio Test Project (VHF Channel 6 - 6C:185.360 MHz)
  • National Broadcasting Services of Thailand (NBT)
  • Thai PBS (HD 3)
    • ALTV (SD 4)
    • Thai PBS Radio (Online)
  • The National Assembly Radio and Television Broadcasting Station (TPChannel)

Turkmenistan     ---

• Coordinating Council for Television and Radio Broadcasting

United Arab Emirates     ---

Uzbekistan     ---

Vietnam     ---

Yemen     ---

Europe     ---

Albania     ---

Andorra     ---

Armenia     ---

Austria     ---

Azerbaijan     ---

Belarus     ---

Belgium     ---

Bosnia and Herzegovina     ---

Bulgaria     ---

Croatia     ---

Cyprus     ---

Czech Republic     ---

Denmark     ---

Estonia     ---

Faroe Islands     ---

Finland     ---

France     ---

Georgia     ---

Germany     ---

Gibraltar     ---

Greece     ---

• EΔT (Greek Public Television) — Greece (formerly)
  • ERT — Greece (1938 – 11 June 2013; 11 June 2015–present)
  • NERIT — Greece (formerly; 4 May 2014 – 11 June 2015)

Greenland     ---

Hungary     ---

Iceland     ---

Ireland     ---

Isle of Man     ---

Italy     ---

Kosovo     ---

Latvia     ---

Liechtenstein     ---

Lithuania     ---

Malta     ---

Moldova     ---

Monaco     ---

Montenegro     ---

Netherlands     ---

North Macedonia     ---

Norway     ---

Poland     ---

Portugal     ---

Romania     ---

Russia     ---

San Marino     ---

Serbia     ---

Slovakia     ---

Slovenia     ---

Spain     ---

Sweden     ---

Switzerland     ---

Turkey     ---

Ukraine     ---

United Kingdom     ---

Vatican City     ---

Transnational     ---

Oceania     ---

Australia     ---

Fiji     ---

New Zealand     ---

Local networks     ---

Samoa     ---

Tonga     ---

I hate Putin and the communists that go with him. 

Or at least you're prepared to lie about it :)  if you hate him so much, why are you trying to be like him?

I am right. At the same time, I will single out manipulates and put them in the cement where "they" belong. 

You are definitely left. You decided you didn't like me posting about PP and you attacked me to try to shut me up. Just like any good leftie does.  And now you look dumb. 

People on the right don't try to shut people up or cancel them kiddo. Nice try :)

13 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

No, troll, I actually like PP,  the left lost his reason and I am prepared to do anything reasonable to help MINUS the Propaganda.

You literally just said you'd be doing his propaganda on your blog.

Centrism.ca will not promote your garbage, paid troll.

ROFLMAO - oh noes!!! :)

This is a non-political force, which any day can lash out against anyone, against you too, a Troll that got accepted within 1 day, shame on the admin for such process. 

Sure - you believe in left wing cancel culture. You're obviously more left wing than you want people to believe. I get it.

Eventually, you too, will pay in the face of life. There is no escape lies and moving around, "Brother". We all need to pay the bill, is that easy. 

Were you abused as a child or something? You're very broken.

14 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

I don't think it's fair to judge someone based on their past behaviour or mistakes they've made.

Ok.  It's just that you attacked me for no reason claiming i was somehow making stock money off of the national post (which isn't publically traded) and pushing their propaganda and PP's propaganda when the stuff i posted didn't mention the national post, stocks, OR pp.

So i'm wondering why your behavior is like this. You're acting like an uncultured lunatic from the left who just randomly wants to cancel people. I'm trying to understand what made you like this.

We all have flaws and have made poor choices at some point. It's important to focus on the present and future actions of a person, rather than dwelling on the past.

The past often explains the actions of the person today. Your actions are baffling, so of course people are going to question your past and how you got like this.

Are you a paid Troll?! Troll?!

Of course i'm not. Not.  :)  This is a board with like maybe 30 active people as far as i can tell... what the hell would be the point of paying someone to sit around and troll this place?

So the real questions are  =  why are you so paranoid? Why do you approve of cancel culture? Why do you randomly get mad at the national post? And why are you so broken as a person?

I've never been particularly mean to you or anything, i don't respond to you much at the best of times. I have trouble following your english so i just let it got.  So you could have come and asked me if you had a question but instead you chose to just attack like a crazy person.

So don't get mad if i don't take you too seriously at this point :)

I doubt Trudeau will do much about the Chinese interference because it mostly benefits the Liberal party.  Why would he want to stop the election interference if it helps the Liberals?  Besides the Liberals do not have enough support to form a majority government and need all the help they can get. 

Additionally, it would be very difficult to stop the China supporters from voting Liberal. How is that even possible?  Sadly Canada has been led into a relationship with China the past fifty years and has brought in millions of immigrants from China.  This is the reality and China has a huge influence in Canada.  China has organizations in Canada that promote strong ties with China.  How is anyone going to convince the ones who strongly support the Motherland to vote other than Liberal?  People, who may not even be necessarily Communist supporters still love their Mother country and Liberals have had ties with China for more than a century through missionaries and then former PM Trudeau establishing diplomatic relations with China under Chairman Mao in 1970.  That is the reality.

9 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I doubt Trudeau will do much about the Chinese interference because it mostly benefits the Liberal party.  Why would he want to stop the election interference if it helps the Liberals?  Besides the Liberals do not have enough support to form a majority government and need all the help they can get. 

Additionally, it would be very difficult to stop the China supporters from voting Liberal. How is that even possible?  Sadly Canada has been led into a relationship with China the past fifty years and has brought in millions of immigrants from China.  This is the reality and China has a huge influence in Canada.  China has organizations in Canada that promote strong ties with China.  How is anyone going to convince the ones who strongly support the Motherland to vote other than Liberal?  People, who may not even be necessarily Communist supporters still love their Mother country and Liberals have had ties with China for more than a century through missionaries and then former PM Trudeau establishing diplomatic relations with China under Chairman Mao in 1970.  That is the reality.

He hasn't so far so you're probably right there.

As to the rest - the issue is more about the chinese gov't spending money on the election and more imporantly buying candidates or t heir close advisors. And that we can do something about.

3 hours ago, Contrarian said:

Wait, so what are you going to do?! -> paid troll of The Conservaive Party.

There is no data issues here, troll, is all Reality here.

wow - so you're giving up on the whole 'sanity' thing i see ;)

What i'm going to do is work hard to get justin kicked out next election and push for better laws and a full investigation.

I take it you're voting for justin? You keep saying you like PP but then you keep attacking the conservatives.

5 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

You call this person 'troll' repeatedly, so you really should start ignoring...

That's a great idea - i've had like 4 interactions with you since i've gotten here 'contrarian' so if reading about crime stats is so upsetting just put me on ignore! I pretty much ignore most of your stuff already!