Prayer at funeral of Edmonton slain officers avoids name of Jesus

46 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Are you not doing the same thing to me?  I prefer civil conversation, but when I made a simple statement that the prayer was not a Christian biblical prayer, you attacked me. 

Nope, just quoting and questioning you.

1 minute ago, Contrarian said:

Yes, you did call yourself a centrist, I have a good memory. 

But that is beside the point. I won't label you anymore, but how do you think will you achieve someone like a religious dogmatic to think about modern day? Through immediately bring in mockery about his religion through a question or through more rational points?

maybe I’m just a centrist on some things…. And something else on the things where we disagree.  

I think a mix of mockery and rational points is needed.  You mention satire in your signature.  Satire certainly contains mockery much of the time.  

6 hours ago, Aristides said:

Is there a particular reason you assume these two officers were Christians?

A public service held at a hockey arena is not a funeral inside a Christian church. I would assume Muslims, Buddhists and worshippers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster who as as stubborn and obstinate as Blackbird were equally offended.
But had the decency not to whine that their faith was not promoted on the nearest internet forum.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, blackbird said:

Did you agree with taxpayers paying 35 million dollars for the Pope's visit to Canada?

But they didn't. They spent that on the first nations. The pope was there to apologize to them and the gov't gave them money ot organize events.   Does the bible say you're supposed to lie to people to try to spread your hatred of other religions?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

But they didn't. They spent that on the first nations. The pope was there to apologize to them and the gov't gave them money ot organize events.   Does the bible say you're supposed to lie to people to try to spread your hatred of other religions?

The 35 million dollars was to pay for he Pope's visit which involved organizing events.  That's all part of the Pope's visit to benefit the Roman Church and papacy.  As far as Romanism is concerned, they have 1,700 years of history of brutal treatment of the world.  You have a problem.  You can't squirm out of it by false accusations. 

Edited by blackbird

16 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The 35 million dollars was to pay for he Pope's visit which involved organizing events

That is a lie.  it was to pay for first nations events around the popes apology. It did not pay for his 'visit'. He paid for the visit - they paid for their festivities.

Again - does your bible require you to lie to spread hatred of religions you dislike?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blackbird said:

The 35 million dollars was to pay for he Pope's visit which involved organizing events.  That's all part of the Pope's visit to benefit the Roman Church and papacy.  As far as Romanism is concerned, they have 1,700 years of history of brutal treatment of the world.  You have a problem.  You can't squirm out of it by false accusations. 

I think that is a rectal pluck.

Certainly there is a cost associated with the visit if any head of state (which to Pope is deemed) but, the costs are primarily internal, security, staging, public personnel travel and in this case, incredible amounts to indigenous associations.

Edited by ExFlyer

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

Certainly there is a cost associated with the visit if any head of state (which to Pope is deemed)

Certainly if you're dumb enough to accept that as a legitimate reason.  He is a religious-political leader, but there is no law that says we must bow down and pay 35 million dollars for a trip that is for the Papacy's benefit.  That is a convenient excuse to make the taxpayers pay for it.  What is the benefit in paying for it there for the millions of Canadians who do not support or belong to the Roman system?

When the people in control of the tax strings in Ottawa belong to that organization, there is an obvious conflict of interest.  Are you one of them?  Are you a member?  Were you baptised in it?   If so, did you declare your association when commenting on it or are you hiding the truth?  Remember, if one is being open and transparent and not recusing yourself, conflicts of interest are to be declared when speaking for or against something.

Edited by blackbird

2 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Being a virtually life-long atheist.. it would bother me not in the least if they included the word, Jesus, or not. Bigger battles to fight in life than words spoken at a funeral 

It doesn't warrant any kind of battle or federal investigation.  It is just the principle of the thing.  I would assume many of the people attending and perhaps family members would consider themselves Christians because Canada is in essence still a Christian or Judeo-Christian founded nation whether some like it or not.  So it is kind of a insult against those who do because it was not a Christian prayer.  People should get over trying to be politically-correct and appease every conceivable ideology and religion in the world in major public functions and events in Canada.

4 minutes ago, blackbird said:

It doesn't warrant any kind of battle or federal investigation.  It is just the principle of the thing.  I would assume many of the people attending and perhaps family members would consider themselves Christians because Canada is in essence still a Christian or Judeo-Christian founded nation whether some like it or not.  So it is kind of a insult against those who do because it was not a Christian prayer.  People should get over trying to be politically-correct and appease every conceivable ideology and religion in the world in major public functions and events in Canada.

Or possibly you could cease being so sensitive to this.. it goes both ways. If your belief is so strong and unwavering.. why do you need someone to say the right things at a funeral?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Certainly if you're dumb enough to accept that as a legitimate reason.  He is a religious-political leader, but there is no law that says we must bow down and pay 35 million dollars for a trip that is for the Papacy's benefit. 

We didn't.  And you are aware of that. You simply repeat the lie.

We did spend 20 million on security etc.  If you were going to complain about something that would at least be something spent "ON" him.

But the 35 billion was not spent on his trip.  And his trip was not religious - it was political. It was an apology to the first nations for things done under the church's watch.  So - it's money given to the natives so they could address a political issue.

You are lying. You know you're lying, this has all been pointed out before and yet you pretend that we paid for his visit. We did not, other than the security etc we do for any visiting dignitary.

Does  your bible command you to lie?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, impartialobserver said:

Or possibly you could cease being so sensitive to this.. it goes both ways. If your belief is so strong and unwavering.. why do you need someone to say the right things at a funeral?

Out of respect for the people who do believe and as an example of what is right.

Just now, blackbird said:

Some globalist, multiculturalist liberals or leftists don't want a Christian prayer to be made in public, but these same liberals gladly force the taxpayers to pay 35 million dollars for a Papal public relations visit to and around Canada by one of the world's largest religions.

Well seeing as christ obviously has instructed  you lie in order to spread hatred - why would anyone WANT christ at their funeral? Seems like your imaginary friend is a bit of an ass - always demanding you lie like that.

• Like 1

Just now, blackbird said:

Out of respect for the people who do believe and as an example of what is right.

Again, I am a lifelong atheist. When I visit the in-laws, they do prayer and grace. Do I raise a fit? Not in the least. Does it change my beliefs? Not an iota. My lack of beliefs is unwavering and I care not in the least what anyone thinks of it. If I was at this funeral.. I would have not have thought twice about it either way. 

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

Some globalist, multiculturalist liberals or leftists don't want a Christian prayer to be made in public, but these same liberals gladly force the taxpayers to pay 35 million dollars for a Papal public relations visit to and around Canada by one of the world's largest religions.

Nah, say Jesus all you want.  But, if you say Jesus, you have to say Allah, Buddha, Vishnu and Satan as well….   That’s how living in a pluralistic society works, which you said you were in favour of.  

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

We didn't.  And you are aware of that. You simply repeat the lie.

We did spend 20 million on security etc.  If you were going to complain about something that would at least be something spent "ON" him.

But the 35 billion was not spent on his trip.  And his trip was not religious - it was political. It was an apology to the first nations for things done under the church's watch.  So - it's money given to the natives so they could address a political issue.

You are lying. You know you're lying, this has all been pointed out before and yet you pretend that we paid for his visit. We did not, other than the security etc we do for any visiting dignitary.

Does  your bible command you to lie?

All you can do is accuse me lying which shows your character.

Seems like you are out of control and not someone anyone can have a civilized conversation with.  

Just now, TreeBeard said:

Nah, say Jesus all you want.  But, if you say Jesus, you have to say Allah, Buddha, Vishnu and Satan as well….   That’s how living in a pluralistic society works, which you said you were in favour of.  

People can believe or support whatever religion they want on their own.  But in a public event, officials should not be promoting every religion in the world.  Canada is a Christian-founded nation coming from British North America.

Are you a Catholic or a Muslim?

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

People can believe or support whatever religion they want on their own.  But in a public event, officials should not be promoting every religion in the world.  Canada is a Christian-founded nation coming from British North America.

Are you a Catholic or a Muslim?

If they shouldn’t promote every religion, then they shouldn’t promote any religion.   Canada has no official state religion. 

Edited by TreeBeard
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Again, I am a lifelong atheist. When I visit the in-laws, they do prayer and grace. Do I raise a fit? Not in the least. Does it change my beliefs? Not an iota. My lack of beliefs is unwavering and I care not in the least what anyone thinks of it. If I was at this funeral.. I would have not have thought twice about it either way. 

At least you declare you're an atheist and that is the reason why you don't care.  I understand where you're coming from. It makes no difference to you.

1 minute ago, TreeBeard said:

If they shouldn’t promote every religion, then they shouldn’t promote any religion.   Canada has no official state religion. 

Doesn't have to have an official "state religion".  That doesn't change the fact that Canada's history is Judeo-Christian and our system is built on that fact.  Like it or not, that's the way it is.