Ron DeSantis Flaming Out Already

David Frum (a real Republican): Is Ron DeSantis Flaming Out Already?

Although Florida governor Ron DeSantis has long sought to avoid taking a position on Russia’s war in Ukraine he did find time however, to admonish Ukrainian officials in October for not showing enough gratitude to new Twitter owner Elon Musk. (Musk returned the favor by endorsing DeSantis for president.)

More dangerous than the unpopular positions DeSantis holds are the popular positions he does not hold. What is DeSantis’s view on health care? He doesn’t seem to have one. President Joe Biden has delivered cheap insulin to U.S. users. Good idea or not? Silence from DeSantis. There’s no DeSantis jobs policy; he hardly speaks about inflation. Homelessness? The environment? Nothing. Even on crime, DeSantis must avoid specifics, because specifics might remind his audience that Florida’s homicide numbers are worse than New York’s or California’s.

DeSantis just doesn’t seem to care much about what most voters care about. And voters in turn do not care much about what DeSantis cares most about.

Desantis will be a candidate of the Republican base, for the Republican base. Like Trump, he delights in displaying his lack of regard for everyone else. Trump, however, is driven by his psychopathologies and cannot emotionally cope with disagreement. DeSantis is a rational actor and is following what somebody has convinced him is a sound strategy. It looks like this:

Woo the Fox audience and win the Republican nomination.
    ??
    Become president.

Written out like that, you can see the missing piece. DeSantis is surely intelligent and disciplined enough to see it too. But the programming installed in him prevents him from acting on what he sees. His approach to winning the nomination will put the general election beyond his grasp. He must hope that some external catastrophe will defeat his Democratic opponent for him—a recession, maybe—because DeSantis is choosing a path that cannot get him to his goal. 

32.png

Dethantis extreme MAGA positions make him unelectable.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mako said:

When did robosmith become a Republican war-monger with the same position as Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham?

And Joe Biden and MOST Democrats. We back Ukraine's DEFENSE (not war), to deter FUTURE FASCISTS from STEALING OTHER'S ASSETS.

Maybe you wish Hitler had won WWII cause you like speaking German. ?

• Like 2

On 3/24/2023 at 5:25 PM, Contrarian said:

This is coming from the number 1 Pro-NATO poster on the website (ME) towards (YOU):

<--- Left Wing Alert part of the tactic to allow safe passage to MAGA against Joe Biden.

Details here: 

https://repolitics.com/forums/topic/43866-desantis-and-trump/

I ended the above thread with: 

• So, if this campaign continues and DeSantis loses to Trump and then Donald ends up winning the presidency, please do not complain or ask to come into Canada, all you on the left that post against DeSantis. My house, anyways will not welcome.

I don’t believe there is much difference between Trump and DeSantis’ Ukraine policy, or most policies. DeSantis clearly does not believe in the First Amendment. 

2 hours ago, Deluge said:

You worry too much, robosmith.

I'm NOT WORRIED about Dethantis "flaming out." 

In FACT I am counting on it. Duh.

2 hours ago, Deluge said:

I'm quite certain that RD will have his positions all in place when he announces his run for presidency. 

Yes, his dice game of of policy determination may eventually land on a winner. Or he will just take his dice and go home.

Just now, robosmith said:

I'm NOT WORRIED about Dethantis "flaming out." 

In FACT I am counting on it. Duh.

Yes, his dice game of of policy determination may eventually land on a winner. Or he will just take his dice and go home.

But you're the one trying to spread concern where there isn't any. 

Or he will run for office and kick the sh*t out of your guy, which would be the most likely scenario. 

11 minutes ago, Deluge said:

But you're the one trying to spread concern where there isn't any. 

No, I'm NOT. 

11 minutes ago, Deluge said:

Or he will run for office and kick the sh*t out of your guy, which would be the most likely scenario. 

The polls say he has half a chance. But he'll have a difficult time flip flopping from the positions he needs to take to win the primary. Like he's already flip flopped on Ukraine so fast it made your head spin.

3 minutes ago, robosmith said:

No, I'm NOT. 

The polls say he has half a chance. But he'll have a difficult time flip flopping from the positions he needs to take to win the primary. Like he's already flip flopped on Ukraine so fast it made your head spin.

Sure you are. You made that post to try and instill lack of confidence in DeSantis. Of course it didn't work, nor will it ever work. 

I'll get back to you on the Ukraine thing after I've had a chance to read up on his views. 

When it comes to subjective opinions and predictions.. there is no gold standard. Therefore, all one can do is read a lot of them and try to synthesize something from them. My subjective opinion is that DeSantis has the money and gravitas to undertake a serious presidential campaign. As for if he will win.. no way of knowing

On 3/27/2023 at 9:46 AM, Contrarian said:

Don't you have any remorse pushing such ideas? MAGA is equal to DeSantis? Your BIAS is getting the best out of you today brother @Rebound . At least you are not like AOC, which flew to party into Florida, the next day after ranting against the Governor. 

I’m not following you.

I think that Trump and DeSantis are both pretty nutty. Guy becomes Florida governor and goes on a ceaseless anti-gay, anti-black crusade. That’s pretty much the only initiatives he undertakes: “Will this policy infuriate gays or blacks?” If yes, pursue. Else, ignore.  

We shall see.  I don’t vote in the Republican primaries anyway, so my opinion is irrelevant.  

6 hours ago, reason10 said:

Dream on, goose stepper.

There is no such thing as an extreme MAGA position. MAGA is what makes America work.

If you don't like it, get the fluck out./

MAGA/QAnon days are numbered. Esp if RD flames out. Of course Trump will LOSE cause he keeps celebrating Jan 6th which ONLY HIS CULT (like you) LIKES.

Real Republicans are back tracking like crazy after his Waco schtick.

Edited by robosmith

On 3/26/2023 at 11:26 PM, robosmith said:

And Joe Biden and MOST Democrats. We back Ukraine's DEFENSE (not war), to deter FUTURE FASCISTS from STEALING OTHER'S ASSETS.

Maybe you wish Hitler had won WWII cause you like speaking German. ?

You want military action but not war.

You hate fascists except the ones fighting on your side.

Maybe you want WW III and living under the genocidal CCP.

https://www.newsweek.com/volodymyr-zelensky-accused-trying-start-world-war-iii-over-poland-missile-strike-1760125

Edited by Mako

4 hours ago, Mako said:

You want military action but not war.

You hate fascists except the ones fighting on your side.

Maybe you want WW III and living under the genocidal CCP.

https://www.newsweek.com/volodymyr-zelensky-accused-trying-start-world-war-iii-over-poland-missile-strike-1760125

You make NO SENSE. The FASCIST is the one (Putin) INVADING Ukraine.

Letting him succeed just EMBOLDENS other FASCISTS to invade other countries like XI wants to take Taiwan.

Neo-NAZIS in Ukraine have not invaded any nation and are just a small minority which NO political power.

• Like 1

Signature DeSantis policies unpopular with Americans ahead of likely presidential run

If Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis defeats former President Donald Trump for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, he may have a harder time winning the general election than his supporters expect, according to the latest Yahoo News/YouGov poll.

The new survey shows that more Americans oppose than favor seven out of eight signature policies put forward by DeSantis in Florida, with support ranging from 36% (for requiring public school books to be reviewed for content “the government deems inappropriate”) to a low of 21% (for “granting political appointees the power to fire tenured faculty members at public colleges and universities at any time and for any reason”). 

desantis-pres.png

LMAO

Maybe Dethantis would be the better candidate for LOSING despite polls which show him defeating Biden by slim margins. 

Edited by robosmith

17 hours ago, robosmith said:

You make NO SENSE. The FASCIST is the one (Putin) INVADING Ukraine.

Letting him succeed just EMBOLDENS other FASCISTS to invade other countries like XI wants to take Taiwan.

Neo-NAZIS in Ukraine have not invaded any nation and are just a small minority which NO political power.

Glad you admit you have neo-Nazis on your side.

Robosmith has now publicly acknowledged he is allied with neo-Nazis.

He is also allied with Mitch McConnell and other Republicans who are enjoying the atrocities in Ukraine and the profits from Raytheon.

I’m also glad you recognize that Communism is similar to Fascism.

https://macleans.ca/opinion/the-trudeau-familys-love-of-tyrants/

https://www.breitbart.com/asia/2022/02/02/red-handed-obviously-my-family-has-historical-ties-with-china-how-beijing-bought-off-the-trudeaus/

Xi Jin Ping is a Communist and he is so happy to see the U.S. distracted in the Ukraine.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2022/05/03/us-weapons-stockpile-shrinking-dnt-lead-marquardt-vpx.cnn

Edited by Mako

On 3/31/2023 at 2:28 AM, Mako said:

Glad you admit you have neo-Nazis on your side.

They are NOT "on my side," anymore that domestic neo-Nazis are.

Robosmith has now publicly acknowledged he is allied with neo-Nazis.

Stop LYING.

He is also allied with Mitch McConnell and other Republicans who are enjoying the atrocities in Ukraine and the profits from Raytheon.

One issue does NOT make an ally.

He is paying attention to determine how easy it will be for him to TAKE Taiwan. If we let Putin succeed, that will EMBOLDEN Xi.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe, just maybe, this is rock bottom for embarrassing U.S. politics

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is defining himself before his rivals can define him, but not to his advantage. He seems intelligent but unpleasant, forthright but prickly, accomplished but incapable of political grace notes. He also seems tightly scripted — perhaps for good reasons.

His unforced errors include describing Russia’s war of annihilation against Ukraine as a ‘territorial dispute.’ And backing a ban on abortion after six weeks, which is before women often know they are pregnant. (Is he trying to forfeit the female vote in suburbia, where the 2024 election might be decided?) And vowing, unintelligibly (see the Constitution’s Article IV, Section 2), that he will ‘not assist’ any extradition of Trump from Florida.

‘In politics as in baseball, at which the young DeSantis excelled, ‘AAAA players’ are those who excel in AAA ball, the highest minor league, but fail above that. A presidential campaign is a rigorous apprenticeship that DeSantis, although still not an announced candidate, is, less than a mile into the marathon, flunking.