AOC calls a parent's right to know what's being taught to their kids "fascism"

I agree with you guys that a parent should have very right to know what their children are being taught.  The curriculum should be an open book, available to anyone who is interested, parent or not. 

"The bill passed 213-208, with five Republicans — mostly members of the House Freedom Caucus — voting against it.

It would require schools to publish course studies and a list of books kept in libraries, as well as affirm parents’ ability to meet with educators, speak at school board meetings and examine school budgets."

https://apnews.com/article/parents-rights-education-book-bans-9073f42e2bfda393d39dd8cb7b2cc8f4

Sounds fine.  What's the big deal?

Sometimes some conservative parents/policymakers can go too far.  But so can progressives.  It's pretty clear that some progressive educators have an agenda in bringing their politics into the classroom.  Sometimes politics in the classroom, like how how to deal with LGBT issues, is unavoidable, and worth debating.

This is the 1960's all over again.

1 minute ago, Moonlight Graham said:

1. Sometimes some conservative parents/policymakers can go too far.  But so can progressives.  

2. This is the 1960's all over again.

1. Of course.  They manipulate an over complicated system to achieve goals that are based on supposition.
2. There were clear and firm public groups defined at that time though different than today.  Trust in "the system" was high and only starting to crumble... thanks to the left.  The sentiments were identical though.

Heard of this MG ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Hat_Riot#:~:text=The Hard Hat Riot occurred,the student strike of 1970.

How is it not a parents right to know what their child is taught? 

That is an incredibly disturbing idea to me.

To me, its like saying that child advisories are fascism. 

I would want to know if my kid would be taught how to be a productive member in society, or indoctrinated and turned into a useless activist.

• Like 1

Just now, Perspektiv said:

How is it not a parents right to know what their child is taught? 

That is an incredibly disturbing idea to me.

To me, its like saying that child advisories are fascism. 

I would want to know if my kid would be taught how to be a productive member in society, or indoctrinated and turned into a useless activist.

Most of the progress towards the ideals PROFESSED by the FOUNDERS in this nation, including freeing YOUR PEOPLE from slavery, was due to ACTIVISTS.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, West said:

Keep these lefty groomers away from our kids

I dunno. Part of me says that having perverts dressed up in their sex costumes to talk to our kids is a bad thing, but I'm trying to see both sides. What would I feel like if I was a kid and there was a dominatrix story hour? 

I guess maybe they should raise the age for that stuff to 16. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robosmith said:

but oppose educating kids on how to do it.

I'm sorry, but if you want to be an activist, you don't need to be taught how to do it. Activists have lived experiences, that fuel their desires for change.

Teachers should worry about ensuring the kids they teach, will be productive members of society when they're older. Let them become activists on their own accord.

10 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Speaking of education... there's precious little in the way of explanation of what this is online.

Seems like parents must know what the education material is - which is fine.  More charter schools, which seems like a Trojan Horse, is also included.  

Fascist ?  I don't see how.

So you finally see the leftist absurdity of calling every opposition to their perverted nonsense a derogatory name. Good for you for coming around Mike

13 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I agree with you guys that a parent should have very right to know what their children are being taught.  The curriculum should be an open book, available to anyone who is interested, parent or not. 

Thank you for coming around and realizing the far left bs of calling everything they disagree with "fascism" has really dumbed down the debate

11 hours ago, robosmith said:

YOUR KIDS? LMAO. YOUR LINK, is broken.

Don't worry; AOC has NO INFLUENCE over Canadian schools.

AOC has had enough lunatics vote for her in two elections to get her elected. That alone should make one question the validity of the education system in her area and lead us all to believe there's enough lunatics out there to be concerned

6 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I'm sorry, but if you want to be an activist, you don't need to be taught how to do it. Activists have lived experiences, that fuel their desires for change.

Teachers should worry about ensuring the kids they teach, will be productive members of society when they're older. Let them become activists on their own accord.

You've agreed that activism has been productive in our history, so why shouldn't activism techniques be taught?

Like anything, teaching helps learning.

1 hour ago, West said:

AOC has had enough lunatics vote for her in two elections to get her elected. That alone should make one question the validity of the education system in her area and lead us all to believe there's enough lunatics out there to be concerned

^Still doesn't affect YOUR KIDS in Canada. Don't be scared, the big bad boogey AOC is not going to get your kids. LMAO

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, robosmith said:

so why shouldn't activism techniques be taught?

When I see kids feeling that activism is gluing their hands to expensive paintings to protest petroleum (using you guessed it--glues that are petroleum based), I feel that activism cannot be taught.

You're better off ensuring the youth become productive parts of society.

In my humble opinion, if a child has more knowledge about being an SJW, than on how to get things done, that parent has failed their child. The world doesn't owe you a thing.

Teach children skills. You ironically get AOC, when you teach activism and woke ideologies, vs competence and skills.

17 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

"The bill passed 213-208, with five Republicans — mostly members of the House Freedom Caucus — voting against it.

It would require schools to publish course studies and a list of books kept in libraries, as well as affirm parents’ ability to meet with educators, speak at school board meetings and examine school budgets."

https://apnews.com/article/parents-rights-education-book-bans-9073f42e2bfda393d39dd8cb7b2cc8f4

Sounds fine.  What's the big deal?

Sometimes some conservative parents/policymakers can go too far.  But so can progressives.  It's pretty clear that some progressive educators have an agenda in bringing their politics into the classroom.  Sometimes politics in the classroom, like how how to deal with LGBT issues, is unavoidable, and worth debating.

This is the 1960's all over again.

“Rep. Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., successfully added amendments that would require schools to report when transgender girls join girls’ athletics teams and if trans girls are allowed to use girls’ school restrooms or locker rooms. The bill would also require elementary and middle schools get parents’ consent to change a child’s gender designation, pronouns or name.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rebound said:

“Rep. Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., successfully added amendments that would require schools to report when transgender girls join girls’ athletics teams and if trans girls are allowed to use girls’ school restrooms or locker rooms.  .”

Ok, there it is... trans panic.

• Thanks 1