Liberal MP Han Dong secretly advised Chinese diplomat in 2021 to delay freeing Two Michaels: sources

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Ok - found it. 

So here's what happened - the NDP made a motion that would STOP looking at china... in favor of one that would look at ALL interference from EVERYWHERE.

But it had no budget - no porposed timeline, and no details as to how it would report or have any real teeth.

Basically it left the libs off the hook for china. They could say "well - we're going to take 3 years and do this right and look at every country - i myself am headed off to jamacia for a week to search the beaches for clues. "  and it turns away from china buying the Libs to Russian bots posting on the internet.

The CPC wants to deal with the china issue first and get answers. We can go from there with other countries

I think we should investigate both but we need to focus on these Chinese allegations too.  We need 2 inquiries

15 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

So, how do we know the value of their work? 

No we just need to believe our noble and wise "representative"-employees on their word, that's all. Easy really: if no one is ever questioned (so, caught or Heaven forbid, prosecuted as it happens in some strange places) then no wrong can happen here, right?

53 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I am even more concerned by the apparent politicization of CSIS. Why are we giving these leaks so much credence.

They're a source of transparency.  They should have schools named in their honour.

Everyone like everything is politicized these days, get over it already.

3 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I think we should investigate both but we need to focus on these Chinese allegations too.  We need 2 inquiries

One should preceed the other. The other would just be a distraction.

And we'd need scope and funding. Otherwise it's just a joke to make people feel better.

5 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

What exactly is there for us to investigate with? By that I mean in the form of records or a smoking gun?

And as I see it Han Dong should be taking Global News to court to force them to disclose their source. To bad for him he wasn't wearing a camera.  If the public won't do anything to protect politicians by putting more robust oversight measures in place they're kind of responsible for whatever happens to them when they're caught in such a scandal.

In the meantime Jagmeet Singh in entirely correct to point out that the rabid lack of accountability from the goddamn Liberal government under Trudeau is going to make things more dangerous for my grandkids and that's on everyone for not insisting on...you know what.

Canadians have got to stop screwing the pooch on transparency. 

8 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Well if it's the chinese don't spook 'em - i hear they give you money :)

This is why Singh is correct to point out what's really wrong here. Why can't you help yourself from conflating a corrupt  dictatorship from ordinary people, is there something wrong with you?   

39 minutes ago, eyeball said:

This is why Singh is correct to point out what's really wrong here. Why can't you help yourself from conflating a corrupt  dictatorship from ordinary people, is there something wrong with you?   

I like all the Chinese people I meet. They're always smiling, and nice. But then I found out there was a dark side to them as well. Really dark. When they leave China, they still belong to and obey whenever China tells them to do something.

That's why, when they got caught they had to close the Chinese police stations but do you really believe they're gone?

In that case, I will sell you my watch,,,

;)

59 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Oh right - you've got no sense of humour. Sorry - i forget sometimes that you're not a real little  boy.

Edited by CdnFox

36 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I like all the Chinese people I meet.

I don't but I suspect I've met a lot more Chinese people so that probably explains it.

As for your insights into the dark side of Chinese Canadians that's just your conspiratard side asserting itself.

31 minutes ago, eyeball said:

As for your insights into the dark side of Chinese Canadians that's just your conspiratard side asserting itself.

In that case I've got some primo barren desolate tundra to sell you for an amazingly discounted rate.

Guaranteed to be a tropical resort by 2030...

;)

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

You actually think the leaks from CSIS are false?  I guess you believe the whole story about Chinese interference is false.

No, that is not what I said. We know China interferes and spies on Canada and has done so for years. Canada does the same. So does Russia and the US. However, going all the way back to the creation of Mi6, espionage agencies have employed the most unreliable agents you can imagine. Sidney Reilly, the "ace of spies" for Mi6, who never set foot outside of Russia and never did any spying. Mata Hari who was the mistress of a French policeman, who when his wife found out, claimed poor Ms. Zelle was a German spy.  The Venlo incident where two British agents were kidnapped by Walter Schellenberg is a story of two wannabee spies who were not British agents, who ended up in a concentration camp. Sir William Stephenson and Bill Donovan lived in a fantasy world. James J. Anglton wrecked the CIA with his paranoid hunt for moles.

Some intelligence agents live in a fantasy world. Canadian intelligence agents have a history of screwing up. They failed in the Air India disaster. The dirty tricks campaign that resulted in the MacDonald commission. The Mahar Arar affair. 

There are actual intelligence groups that do shine brightly, such as GCHQ in the UK and the CBNRC in Canada. To be fair, I have met with two CSIS members who seemed to be stand up guys, but I have no way of knowing if their work was any good. 

My point is, I am skeptical. This could be a guy in CSIS who hates Prime Minister Trudeau and decided it would be a good idea to leak some unverified low confidence ideas to embarass the Liberals and destroy a man's life in the process. With what little I know about Liberals and spies, if I had to chose whom I believed, I would believe a Liberal.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

In that case I've got some primo barren desolate tundra to sell you for an amazingly discounted rate.

Guaranteed to be a tropical resort by 2030...

;)

Well you best hang onto it. I've made a fairly primo resort out of the place I've got already thanks. It even gets tropical here sometimes.

17 hours ago, eyeball said:

What exactly is there for us to investigate with? By that I mean in the form of records or a smoking gun?

And as I see it Han Dong should be taking Global News to court to force them to disclose their source. To bad for him he wasn't wearing a camera.  If the public won't do anything to protect politicians by putting more robust oversight measures in place they're kind of responsible for whatever happens to them when they're caught in such a scandal.

In the meantime Jagmeet Singh in entirely correct to point out that the rabid lack of accountability from the goddamn Liberal government under Trudeau is going to make things more dangerous for my grandkids and that's on everyone for not insisting on...you know what.

Canadians have got to stop screwing the pooch on transparency. 

I assume CSIS has some intel..