Are most city drivers nuts?

Eli45

Why is there always accidents and traffic on your way to work on all major highways in Dallas? The elderly would get off and take the back roads to avoid sitting in traffic. The younger types, let's say 18-55 just stay on the higway and wait an hour for the wrecks to be cleaned up. Why don't more people or all people get off t he highway and take the roads to save time? Do elderly drive better and avoid the traffic?

More cars in a limited space equals more accidents. Its not that complicated. Also, more cars equals less empty space on the roads and therefore more perceived competition for road space. Worst drivers that I have ever seen were in Salt Lake City during a time when they were in major road construction mode prior to the Winter Olympics. 

Typically, back roads extend one's commute. More traffic lights and lower speed limits. If I take the highway to work, commute takes 45 minutes. Stay off the highway and it takes 1 hour 20 minutes at the very least if not more. 

I'm always amazed there aren't way more accidents than there are.  All those half ton metal boxes flying around at 100km/hr, driven by people who would rather be texting.

I suspect the supernatural.  Something is keeping them from creaming each other.

Me, I would much rather take the road less travelled.  But I'm not in any hurry.

Edited by bcsapper

So how come every major city has people going on highways to go to work knowinng there is usually gonna be wrecks thourghout the week? Do the elderly know this better than young drivers and take back roads?? Iknow my aunt sue took back roads and it took her 30 min as to the highway took 30 but with an accident it could take 45 min.  Why do people take the highway to work? Is it bc their young?

Do the elderly know better and take roads off the highway when they see a wreck? Is this an old vs young thing?So how come every major city has people going on highways to go to work knowinng there is usually gonna be wrecks thourghout the week? Do the elderly know this better than young drivers and take back roads?? Iknow my aunt sue took back roads and it took her 30 min as to the highway took 30 but with an accident it could take 45 min.  Why do people take the highway to work? Is it bc their young?

21 hours ago, Eli45 said:

So how come every major city has people going on highways to go to work knowinng there is usually gonna be wrecks thourghout the week? Do the elderly know this better than young drivers and take back roads?? Iknow my aunt sue took back roads and it took her 30 min as to the highway took 30 but with an accident it could take 45 min.  Why do people take the highway to work? Is it bc their young?

Can you prove that their is going to be an accident on that person's section of the highway every single day? I use highway 395 southbound for a certain section (18 miles) every day.. there is not an accident on it every single day.