International shipping to Canada - yet another crisis?

So I shipped a small item from Europe to Canada. It cleared the country of origin in about two days, customs included.

Now hanging in some transient state somewhere no tracking number issued in Canada yet. In over a month.

It could have been an aberration or isolated incident except I'm reading in forums that it's a common case for international packages to hang for months in customs to the extent that Canada is considered a high risk shipping zone by some traders.

Is this state or a common and critical public service acceptable for a G7 country? How many crisis areas has it been so far and what is next?

Oh eh.

Every federal department is screwed at the moment.

Customs is no different. Our airports are a disaster, getting a passport is a disaster, everything is.

Welcome to trudeau's canada.  Voters chose hair over skill and this is what you get. You'll have to live with it till someone else gets in and manages to de-trudeau this mess.

3 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

of old age....

The science has been making strides of late you know... till about 130 active age, he'll have many, many more happy returns to leave his lasting impact on the country. OMG such a happy idyll was it a tear?

7 minutes ago, myata said:

The science has been making strides of late you know... till about 130 active age, he'll have many, many more happy returns to leave his lasting impact on the country. OMG such a happy idyll was it a tear?

Still gonna die tho :)  Either of old age or another liberal's knife in his back.

Two years ago had a Wersi organ shipped from Germany by sea. Two weeks to arrive in Montreal, 4 weeks sitting in a warehouse, no info as to why the delay, contacted my MP. he found out that I as a private citizen can not import anything (some GST cockamamy). Lucky for me, I still have my business registration #. Took two more weeks of finagling and about 30 emails to finally have it delivered. On unpacking discovered the protective foam packing around the instrument had been removed and replaced incorrectly, causing damage. Still fighting with Canada customs as per some type of compensation.

2 minutes ago, Legato said:

Two years ago had a Wersi organ shipped from Germany by sea. Two weeks to arrive in Montreal, 4 weeks sitting in a warehouse, no info as to why the delay, contacted my MP. he found out that I as a private citizen can not import anything (some GST cockamamy). Lucky for me, I still have my business registration #. Took two more weeks of finagling and about 30 emails to finally have it delivered. On unpacking discovered the protective foam packing around the instrument had been removed and replaced incorrectly, causing damage. Still fighting with Canada customs as per some type of compensation.

Well at least it's not a player piano - if it was they'd have seized it for being a dangerous 'full auto". :)

On 3/22/2023 at 1:15 PM, CdnFox said:

Every federal department is screwed at the moment.

Customs is no different. Our airports are a disaster, getting a passport is a disaster, everything is.

Welcome to trudeau's canada.  Voters chose hair over skill and this is what you get. You'll have to live with it till someone else gets in and manages to de-trudeau this mess.

"Our" airports re locally controlled, not federal. If the airlines are having issues it is not a federal cause.

Getting a passport is not a problem anymore, hasn't been for many months.

As for the OP parcel delivery issue, I too have problems with international parcel delivery. In my case, it has always been Canada Post.

1 minute ago, ExFlyer said:

"Our" airports re locally controlled, not federal.

I'm sorry but you're not correct. They operate under the offices of the federal ministry of transportation. And the customs and security people are all federal as well.

While the buildings and such may be locally controlled etc the actual things that are causing the airports to screw up are indeed federal. Sorry if you were unaware but this is most DEFINITELY a federal problem.

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Getting a passport is not a problem anymore, hasn't been for many months.

Sure it is. It's just better than the complete disaster it used to be. And that's after years and years of warnings and begging the trudeau gov't to take the necessary steps to avoid the disaster in the first place - which out of incompetence and indifference he chose not to.

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

As for the OP parcel delivery issue, I too have problems with international parcel delivery. In my case, it has always been Canada Post.

Is it - or is it the customs people. I bet if we looked into it we'd see they're the bigger issue on international shipments.

10 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

I'm sorry but you're not correct. They operate under the offices of the federal ministry of transportation. And the customs and security people are all federal as well.

While the buildings and such may be locally controlled etc the actual things that are causing the airports to screw up are indeed federal. Sorry if you were unaware but this is most DEFINITELY a federal problem.

Sure it is. It's just better than the complete disaster it used to be. And that's after years and years of warnings and begging the trudeau gov't to take the necessary steps to avoid the disaster in the first place - which out of incompetence and indifference he chose not to.

Is it - or is it the customs people. I bet if we looked into it we'd see they're the bigger issue on international shipments.

Well while the airports have to comply with regulatory requirements, they are controlled and operated by local authorizes. For instance The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) is the operator of Pearson Airport. The issues have been flight cancellations and baggage handling and that is 100% airline issues.

You are wrong, passport issuing is normal again.99% of new applications made at a Passport Office were delivered within 10 business days. 94% of new applications through mail or a Service Canada were delivered within 20 business days.  Article is from last January https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/holding-off-on-getting-your-passport-now-could-be-a-good-time-to-apply-1.6226868

You can blame Trudeau for many things but, be a man and find the right things LOL

As for my international parcels, if you have tracking, you know where the hold up is and my hold up has always been Canada Post. I recently had a parcel delivered to Hamilton instead of my home... (and it was addressed correctly). Thankfully, the person that got the parcel actually called me and took it back to the post office for forwarding. I finally got it.

35 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Well while the airports have to comply with regulatory requirements,

That's about where you should have stopped. Did the local authorities develop the Arrivecan app? No? Oh imagine that. Did they short staff the customs offices? No? Hmmm

The issues were not flight cancellations and baggage handling. Airports across canada didn't suddenly forget how to handle luggage all at the same moment. They might have minor glitches that add to the problem but the problem was security screening and the app - both of which suffered from horrible planning and execution.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/flying-canada-rules-long-lines-1.6438750

You can excuse trudeau all you like but those are 100 percent in his control. People coudln't get processed, it wasn't their luggage. I don't know why you're being an apologist for that scumbag.

43 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

You are wrong, passport issuing is normal again

Nope. Sorry but manageing to keep up for like one week is not 'back to normal' again after 2 and change years of screwing it up. IF they can keep it up for 6 months then they can make that claim. But i bet you anything it bottlenecks again.

And it still wouldn't excuse the fact that they chose to let it fall apart for 2 years.

A liberal like you can always find an excuse for trudeau. Be a man and own what your dear leader has screwed up.

As to your tracking - please.  You get a little notice saying "delayed due to canada post'? What  a lie.  I get plenty of international shipments too and none ever said that.

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

That's about where you should have stopped. Did the local authorities develop the Arrivecan app? No? Oh imagine that. Did they short staff the customs offices? No? Hmmm

The issues were not flight cancellations and baggage handling. Airports across canada didn't suddenly forget how to handle luggage all at the same moment. They might have minor glitches that add to the problem but the problem was security screening and the app - both of which suffered from horrible planning and execution.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/flying-canada-rules-long-lines-1.6438750

You can excuse trudeau all you like but those are 100 percent in his control. People coudln't get processed, it wasn't their luggage. I don't know why you're being an apologist for that scumbag.

Nope. Sorry but manageing to keep up for like one week is not 'back to normal' again after 2 and change years of screwing it up. IF they can keep it up for 6 months then they can make that claim. But i bet you anything it bottlenecks again.

And it still wouldn't excuse the fact that they chose to let it fall apart for 2 years.

A liberal like you can always find an excuse for trudeau. Be a man and own what your dear leader has screwed up.

As to your tracking - please.  You get a little notice saying "delayed due to canada post'? What  a lie.  I get plenty of international shipments too and none ever said that.

ArriveCan app??? That caused airport problems? How? You clearly did not travel LOL. The app had to be used before you arrived in Canada. You should have stopped as blaming arrivecan is just plain dumb. I travelled a lot and used arrivecan and it was not a problem at all. Quite easy to use as a matter of fact.

Yes, airlines did cause the baggage problem and their cancellations cause the problems, not airport authorizes or the feds. The airlines control baggage and flights and crews and staff. There were no regulatory issues at all, they were all airlines and airline staff.

As for tracking, clearly you do not ship or receive much. Canada Post tracking tells you exactly where your parcel is.

27 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

rriveCan app??? That caused airport problems? How?

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/06/27/arrivecan-customs-officers-canada/

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/arrivecan-app-travel-canada-problems-183254148.html

There were tonnes of stories on this. The app glitches causing problems. The customs people need to spend a lot of their time showing people how to use it which causes delays.  Etc etc.

It was massively expensive and slowed airports down.

Sooooo once again - are you claiming the arrivecan app, which was a major contributor to delays, is provincial?

Sorry kiddo - trudeau gets to wear the airport mess as well as the customs mess as well as the passport mess as well as the immigration mess and all the other many messes he caused.

I'm sure he appreciates your dedicated efforts to try to excuse the inexcusable but... it's still inexcusable.

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/06/27/arrivecan-customs-officers-canada/

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/arrivecan-app-travel-canada-problems-183254148.html

There were tonnes of stories on this. The app glitches causing problems. The customs people need to spend a lot of their time showing people how to use it which causes delays.  Etc etc.

It was massively expensive and slowed airports down.

Sooooo once again - are you claiming the arrivecan app, which was a major contributor to delays, is provincial?

Sorry kiddo - trudeau gets to wear the airport mess as well as the customs mess as well as the passport mess as well as the immigration mess and all the other many messes he caused.

I'm sure he appreciates your dedicated efforts to try to excuse the inexcusable but... it's still inexcusable.

Year old news dude LOL

User problems  LOL

Arrivcan issues were 99% user problems. From your link.... "CBSA officers have been tied up helping travellers complete ArriveCAN app, says union"

Never once said arrivecan was Provincial. Provincial? Who said anything about provincial?? That is your imagination running rampant again :)

Mandatory Arrivecan ended 1 Oct last year.

Baggage debacle and flight cancellation and passports were all this year, around Christmas and after.

Wake up to today dude LOL

I do not and never have defended Trudeau but, I do investigate and find the root of the problems and point out and enlighten the uninformed, like you, what the facts are. 

Edited by ExFlyer

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Year old news dude LOL

Well more than that actually - the app created a disaster the moment it came out. So basically it buggered up our system for more like 2 years.

But hey - whats a year or so when you're busy apologizing for your favorite corrupt hero :)

User problems  LOL

Arrivcan issues were 99% user problems.

Yeap - it was so poorly designed and user unfriendly that staff spent most of their time dealing with in stead of speeding things up it slowed things down. It was trash. But - trudeau wanted to be able to track everyone even more like any good dictator would so we got the app.

But that's why he couldn't keep it mandatory. It was just screwing too many people up. Bad design.

Never once said arrive-can was Provincial. Provincial? Who said anything about provincial?? That is your imagination running rampant again :)

Riiiiiight you never mentioned the word provincial, of course not! You certainly didn't claim the airports problems were provnicial or anything :)   How silly of me :)

Mandatory Arrivecan ended 1 Oct last year.

And? What's your point. The airports were completely screwed as a result, the staffing problems we did have got worse and the problems linger to this day. That's how bad trudeau screws up our nations..  A service that's run well for as long as most people have been alive completely brought to it's knees, and the system still not fully recovered.

Baggage debacle and flight cancellation and passports were all this year, around Christmas and after.

And still a spill over from the previous mess.  Customs people still in short supply as a result, etc etc.  The baggage issue is minor at best.

Wake up to today dude LOL

2 plus years - trudeau cucks up the whole system - ExFlyer "DON"T LOOK DON"T LOOK DON"T LOOK".

2 months it's SORT of ok - ExFlyer "OK - LOOK NOW LOOK NOW LOOK NOW!!1"

Dude - they were still strugging at the federal level at christmas this year.

And that's before we even get into the feds and their failures to hold airlines accountable when they cancel flights and such - a thing that they've been promising since they first got elected and again in 2019 - but it's STILL a mess, so people got screwed over hardcore at xmas and the gov'ts like "ohhh - we should probably do something about that one of these days.... "

Everything is still a mess. The fact that its less of a mess is nice  - but it doesn't change the fact. Hell the gov't is still talking on it's website as of today about what Its doing to unscrew the parts it's screwed up.

I do not and never have defended Trudeau

Except now? You're trying desperately to do so at the moment. THe airport delays were his fault. The passport offices were his fault .The problem with customs was his fault. The problem with air travel rights is his fault. But - you want to blame EVERYONE but him.  Oh it's the users - they're terrible.  Oh it's the provinces, they're the culprit. Oh it's canada post ...

Please - you couldn't BE defending him harder if you were being paid to do so. These are all areas of responsibility that not only is he in charge of but that he received warnings about that there were going to be massive issues with if ignored, and he ignored them.

There's simply no getting away from it.

14 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well more than that actually - the app created a disaster the moment it came out. So basically it buggered up our system for more like 2 years.

But hey - whats a year or so when you're busy apologizing for your favorite corrupt hero :)

Yeap - it was so poorly designed and user unfriendly that staff spent most of their time dealing with in stead of speeding things up it slowed things down. It was trash. But - trudeau wanted to be able to track everyone even more like any good dictator would so we got the app.

But that's why he couldn't keep it mandatory. It was just screwing too many people up. Bad design.

Riiiiiight you never mentioned the word provincial, of course not! You certainly didn't claim the airports problems were provnicial or anything :)   How silly of me :)

And? What's your point. The airports were completely screwed as a result, the staffing problems we did have got worse and the problems linger to this day. That's how bad trudeau screws up our nations..  A service that's run well for as long as most people have been alive completely brought to it's knees, and the system still not fully recovered.

And still a spill over from the previous mess.  Customs people still in short supply as a result, etc etc.  The baggage issue is minor at best.

2 plus years - trudeau cucks up the whole system - ExFlyer "DON"T LOOK DON"T LOOK DON"T LOOK".

2 months it's SORT of ok - ExFlyer "OK - LOOK NOW LOOK NOW LOOK NOW!!1"

Dude - they were still strugging at the federal level at christmas this year.

And that's before we even get into the feds and their failures to hold airlines accountable when they cancel flights and such - a thing that they've been promising since they first got elected and again in 2019 - but it's STILL a mess, so people got screwed over hardcore at xmas and the gov'ts like "ohhh - we should probably do something about that one of these days.... "

Everything is still a mess. The fact that its less of a mess is nice  - but it doesn't change the fact. Hell the gov't is still talking on it's website as of today about what Its doing to unscrew the parts it's screwed up.

Except now? You're trying desperately to do so at the moment. THe airport delays were his fault. The passport offices were his fault .The problem with customs was his fault. The problem with air travel rights is his fault. But - you want to blame EVERYONE but him.  Oh it's the users - they're terrible.  Oh it's the provinces, they're the culprit. Oh it's canada post ...

Please - you couldn't BE defending him harder if you were being paid to do so. These are all areas of responsibility that not only is he in charge of but that he received warnings about that there were going to be massive issues with if ignored, and he ignored them.

There's simply no getting away from it.

So  much  nonsense LOL

Arrivecan was problematic yes but, as much as you seem to indicate, absolutely  not.

Yes, it is older than even I said. Key is, your point was humorous as all you had was old news to prove an old  point. Old is old and over with. Come back to today LOL.

The mandatory aspect of arrivecan was cancelled when COVID severity dropped below pandemic level. It served the purpose and when the purpose was over, so was arrivecan. Pretty simple for most to understand but you.... well, we all have figured out your challenge :).

Once again, your comprehension issues and imagination overtake reality I said airports are local jurisdictions except for regulatory requirements, like the Greater Toronto Airport authority. But its' OK, we all understand and sympathize with your inability to read.

Oh and it was not airport staff, it was airline staff that caused the problem.

Customs people??? They do not work at the airports unless they work in cargo departments. Again, it's OK that you do not know that, you cannot be right all the time but you sure are good at being wrong :)

Yes, as I said, the baggage and flight cancellations issue were this past Christmas. As you noted, arrivecan was over the October before that. There were no issues in October.

Canada Post??? That is the topic dude, not your off topic transit again. I gave my experience to the OP and you and it is correct.

And the remainder of your retort is pure nonsense, demonstrating only that you cannot read or worse, comprehend what is being written to you. You are best at misquoting and making things up sort of like a 3 year old telling little white lies to cover up their transgressions LOL

As I said, I am not and will not defend Trudeau but I do try to insert truths and reality for people like you that seemingly have little and no knowledge about the topic. I am also aware that doing so is a real challenge as ignorance is better suited and enjoyed by some rather than others. So, live in your la la land happily LOL

Read and heed, the truth shall set you free :)

OP, sorry for fiddling with a fool. My take on shipping is what I first conveyed and stand buy it.

Edited by ExFlyer

A challenge, coming soon: find a federal service that's working as it should. Going on the second quarter of this century, AI peeking over the shoulder, still no consistent and reliable free income tax filing option for the citizens. Provinces to follow (why not?)

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

So  much  nonsense LOL

Arrivecan was problematic yes but, as much as you seem to indicate, absolutely  not.

Absolutely it was. The fliers who used it said it was.  The security forces that had to deal with them said it was. The people it incorrectly assigned to quarrantine said it was.

Everyone in the world except you says it was.  But of course -as a liberal truth and facts really aren't of interest to you.

Yes, it is older than even I said. Key is, your point was humorous as all you had was old news to prove an old  point. Old is old and over with. Come back to today LOL.

That was mid last year. It hasn't even been a year yet since it was a major major issue.  And the ripples of disruption it caused are still felt.

So trying to pass it off as ancient history is a joke,

The mandatory aspect of arrivecan was cancelled when COVID severity dropped below pandemic level.

It was dropped when it became clear that the airport situation was an international embarrassment of epic proportions and this was a significant part of the problem.  And of course it was becoming more and more embarrasing as evidence came out that it was a program worth tens of thousands of dollars that the gov't spent tens of millions on and it was STILL this buggy. A tech company created a better version on a whim over a weekend.

Those are the reasons it was cancelled. Previously justin said he wanted to keep it forever.

Oh and it was not airport staff, it was airline staff that caused the problem.

Nope. Sorry.

I'll just put this in your big pile of statements that have turned out to be wrong that you've created while trying to defend justin.

Customs people??? They do not work at the airports

You honestly don't think there are customs people in the airports.

Sigh. Heeeere ya go. I swear i should be charging for your education:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/services/aoe-eng.html

https://globalnews.ca/news/9565168/nexus-airport-centres-reopen-canadian-march-27/

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/arrivals/customs-and-immigration

"The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) screens all travellers landing in Canada at Pearson Airport. If you are arriving on a US or international flight, you will need to confirm your identity with CBSA and declare any goods that you are bringing into the country. "

Well - i guess if we wanted more proof that you don't knowwhat you're talking about - that'd be it.  

Have you NEVER taken an international flight before? You HONESTLY didn't know airports have customs offices in them to check international travelers?

Travelers who used the arrivecan app btw. See where that's going?

There's no point with the rest.  More of the same - false information, desperate attempts to twist what you said into something that's defensible. Unsuccessfully.

You had already proven you didn't know what you were talking about but i think you pretty much hammered the coffin shut when you said there's no customs in airports.

That's as dumb as claiming the provinces are responsible for customs, security and the arrivecan app :)

Next time - check your facts before picking a fight.

17 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

At least you validated my comments.

Awwww - look at you, all pouting and taking your ball and going home :)

Your extraneous stuff is just more nonsense.

Says the guy who thinks we don't have customs at airports :)

Did not expect any different LOL

I should't think you would - every time you start a discussion with false facts and nonsense I present the truth. And you get pissy about it :)  But at least there's symmetry.

Next time mix it up a litlte and YOU try some factually correct stuff.

57 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Ha Ha Ha ConFx, you are not worth it. But you sure fit in with some folks on this forum Ha Ha Ha

ROFLMAO - soooo,  you took the time to reply to tell me i'm not worth a reply :)

Thanks for letting me live rent free in your head :)   Nice and spacious in here... echos a bit but still...

Maybe you two you should get a private room, hey? That way the rest of us don't need to read your pointless drivel. Maybe get a job... girlfriend,,, hobby other than gaming and annoying mature adults.

Always best to arrange the customs clearance paperwork beforehand. It's always an issue shipping things internationally, even when paperwork is properly done. If you can get duty pre-paid you might be luckier.

Certain carriers are be-shissen. Canada Post? Bwah hah hah. Even Purolator stinks like poopoo geschmartzen.

• Like 1