Should you live with your parents forever to become smarter?

Eli45

I would rather be homeless than live with my mother. However, I can see why most younger folks stay home longer than those in past generations did. When I left the parent's domain in 1996, I could rent a 1 bedroom apt in Boise, Idaho for $400 a month and that was doable. The same exact apartments today are renting for $1850. Wages have went up but not by that much. 

Just now, Eli45 said:

Yeah but do you learn more about life living with your parents until they die? Or do you learn by experience more? I don't know myself

I love my mother but she leads a far simpler life and always has. Only topic that I would learn more about is home improvement. My mother has the incessant need to re-arrange, re-decorate, and re-model her house. Its always a matter of aesthetics (how it looks) and not functionality. I have learned more about the world through my much more varied experiences than if I had stayed home. 

I have a 26-year-old coworker who still lives at home. His reasoning is that he is saving money so that if and when he gets a home, he can put down a very sizeable down payment and therefore be less impacted on a month to month basis. Who knows if this will pan out. If he intends to stay in Reno/sparks, he faces steep odds. 

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Is Reno/Sparks expensive now ?  I love Reno - it literally has everything.

Yes. Average home price is currently $485K. It has been as high as $565K as of late November 2022. Additionally, when it comes to single family homes, there is precious little inventory for sale. The only truly available units are those at the high end of the price scale. Anything remotely affordable is off the market in less than 3 days. 

17 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Yes. Average home price is currently $485K. It has been as high as $565K as of late November 2022. Additionally, when it comes to single family homes, there is precious little inventory for sale. The only truly available units are those at the high end of the price scale. Anything remotely affordable is off the market in less than 3 days. 

So ... cheap then.... I have friends in San Fran... one of them was a wealthy fellow whose apartment was the size of mine in Toronto.  Hooo boy.

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

So ... cheap then.... I have friends in San Fran... one of them was a wealthy fellow whose apartment was the size of mine in Toronto.  Hooo boy.

Cheap if you are making San Fran or San Jose wages. If you are local to Reno/Sparks or Northern Nevada as a whole, you end having a ratio of housing cost/income of about 50% to 55%. That is not affordable for most.