Trudeau names former GG David Johnston as new independent special rapporteur

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-names-former-gg-david-johnston-as-new-independent-special-rapporteur-1.6314724

Trudeau names former GG David Johnston as new independent special rapporteur

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has named former governor general David Johnston as the new independent special rapporteur who will be looking into foreign interference.

Tasked with helping "protect the integrity of Canada's democracy," Trudeau has announced his intention to appoint Johnston, following consultations with all parties in the House of Commons.

So the guy that trudeau gave a cushy job and lifetime gold plated pension to will now be investigating if trudeau is a bad guy. Seems like THAT will restore confidence.

"Canadians need to have confidence in our electoral system, and in our democracy.

That's easy mr trudeau - quit.

Oh For FRAKS SAKE -  just found this:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9556099/david-johnston-special-rapporteur-china-canada-interference/

Johnston is also a member of the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation, according to the organization’s website. The charity recently made headlines after it returned a $200,000 donation it received seven years ago following a Globe and Mail report alleging a potential connection to Beijing.

Welp. My confidence in the process is restored.

I had never even heard the word "rappporteur" before let alone what they do.

I guess he will "report" something LOL

The thing is though, this whole thing is in the past. Nothing will or can be done about it. Our system of elections is that candidates live and campaign using donations. Where they come from can so easily be hidden or disguised, nothing will ever change as all parties and candidates will lose.

Now I have some respect for Johnston. He did a great job as GG. Unfortunately, he should have refused such an invitation. If Trudeau isn't going to give Canadians an official inquiry led by a judge he should at least found someone with fewer ties to him and his party. As the saying goes, justice not only needs to be unbiased it needs to be seen to be unbiased.

Johnston is on the Trudeau Foundation. He appointed WE charity's Kielburger to the Election debates commission and used a format and questions the Conservatives didn't want or approve. He also included Rosemary Barton as a moderator while she was suing the Conservative Party.  He describes himself as a friend of China and visited there many times even before he became GG. On that occasion, he told Chinese President Xi Jinping that 'I feel as though I'm returning home" when he arrives there.

“Now I’ve known the Governor General since I was a kid, from visiting him and his daughters when he was principal of McGill, to spending time on the ice or the slopes at their family home in the Laurentians.”

“But getting to know someone as a family friend or a friend of your father’s is very different from having the honour of working alongside them.” -Trudeau Sept 28, 2017.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/carson-jerema-trudeau-family-friend-david-johnston-not-the-man-to-restore-election-confidence/wcm/9ca4f375-4a67-410d-8a2e-f213f3df96b8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

I had never even heard the word "rappporteur" before let alone what they do.

I guess he will "report" something LOL

That makes sense. French for reporter or something.  I thought it meant he was going to deliver his findings in musical rhythm.

DO baba do DO baba do...

Hangin' with the homies, drinkin wine and chillin'

Chinese say 'here's money', of course we say we's willin'

So we sold our votes for money that was free

Because that's just how we roll here in the LPC. (Don't be hatin'!)

(mike drop)

Edited by CdnFox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

If Trudeau isn't going to give Canadians an official inquiry led by a judge he should at least found someone with fewer ties to him and his party. As the saying goes, justice not only needs to be unbiased it needs to be seen to be unbiased.

precisely.  Even if he gives the most honest and accurate report possible it'll still be tainted by his connections. If the point is to restore confidence then this failes massively

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/carson-jerema-trudeau-family-friend-david-johnston-not-the-man-to-restore-election-confidence

Carson Jerema: Trudeau 'family friend' David Johnston not the man to restore election confidence

"There is no indication that Johnston is anything but a man of integrity, which is why he should have turned down the special rapporteur job "

Groot called it.

• Like 1

Appointing someone to be "Special Rapporteur" should have been child's play to understand it and it should have been someone truly independent, not a family friend and close associate of the Liberal Party.  Obviously Trudeau has no intention of letting Canadians know what was really going on.  This is nothing more than a feeble attempt at a massive cover-up.   I hope enough Canadians will see through this.

For more information on how this election interference actually worked, go to:

"Furthermore, Richmond Conservative MP Kenny Chiu — who was sanctioned by China in March — says there is a concerted effort to spread misinformation about him.

“I kind of anticipated some of the blowback and attacks because of my relatively strong and clear position on foreign interference and influence, and also speaking up for human rights and democracy around the world. But what I did not anticipate is some of the smears and the level of falsehood that's been circulated in WeChat and even now popping up on WhatsApp,” said Chiu, who, while in opposition since 2019, tabled a bill (C-282) to establish a national registry for foreigners engaged in political work. Chiu is also a staunch critic of the CCP’s human rights violations and supporter of Hong Kong’s democratic movement."

Vancouver’s Beijing allies align with Trudeau’s Liberals - Asia Pacific | Business in Vancouver (biv.com)

"He lost ....... the 2021 federal election.[7] He was an outspoken critic of Beijing’s crackdown on dissent and protest in Hong Kong and that may have led to a disinformation campaign against him contributing to his defeat.[8]"

Kenny Chiu - Wikipedia

Edited by blackbird

Johnston is even more of a Sinophile than previously mentioned. He's been there more than a dozen times. His three daughters went to university there. He thinks all Canadians should learn Mandarin. He's been pushing closer China-Canada relations for fifty years. And this is the guy who is going to give us an unbiased opinion about Chinese interference in Canada?

In the 1980s Johnston was laying the foundations of the Canada-China universities exchange program. Later, as president of the University of Waterloo, he oversaw the establishment of the Confucius Institute, a scandal-shredded arm of the Chinese Communist Party’s propaganda and espionage operations in western countries. Widely known in Chinese establishment circles by his nickname “Jiangshan,” Johnston was awarded an honorary doctorate by Nanjing University in 2012, by which time he’d already made more than a dozen visits to China.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/david-johnston-the-right-man-to-whitewash-chinese-interference/wcm/c6879c27-472c-4efd-ab48-500c9eb18240