2 Edmonton police officers killed on duty; chief to speak at 10 a.m. MT

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/2-edmonton-police-officers-shot-and-killed-sources-1.6315617

Two Edmonton Police Service patrol officers were killed while responding to a call early Thursday morning, the city's police service has confirmed.

EPS did not give any other details about what happened. Chief Dale McFee will make a statement at 10 a.m. Watch the event live on CTVNewsEdmonton.ca.

According to internal police communication shared with CTV News Edmonton, the officers were dispatched to a domestic dispute call at an apartment building near 114 Avenue and 132 Street around 12:45 a.m. The EPS memo says the officers were shot by a male there and died in hospital. A person who police called "the male subject" was also said to be dead. The female who called police was hospitalized with life-threatening injuries.

Those details have not been confirmed publicly.

Absolutely horrific.

Here's a concerning point:

One resident told CTV News Edmonton he didn't hear anything overnight and was surprised to find police set up outside his home in the morning when he left for work.

"It's frightening. I'm very worried about it. My child's safety. I've never had this problem here," Tom Deagle said.

"We're trying to get out of here, out of this neighbourhood, because it's constantly stuff, but I've never seen to this extent. It's pretty worrying."

Noting gun and gang violence is up across Canada, CTV News' public safety analyst called the situation in Edmonton "very sad commentary."

"Canada is still a relatively safe country but we have these incidents up here increasing and we need to do everything as a country – not just police but everybody – to try to prevent this kind of thing from continuing," Chris Lewis said.

Violent crime is going up. People are frightened. And so far the gov'ts only actions have been to pass or allow laws that make it easier for criminals to get on the streets.

we have to start taking this seriously regardless of political leaning.