Supreme Court imposes cruelty on families

23 minutes ago, blackbird said:

No.  It is not an imaginary friend or voices in my head. 

I say it is - and i wrote that down on a sacred napkin i have here so it must be true. Look, it's written right here. A reasonable person would just obey the napkin and accept what i'm saying.  You can't question the napkin.

That's literally what you sound like.

Seeing as you can't prove that it's not an imaginary friend or voices in  your head you don't have any ability to dispute what i said. Sorry - the napkin has spoken.

25 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Millions of people would disagree with you. 

Billions would agree with me. Many billions, So does that make me right?

Hell there's 1.1 billion hindu alone. They don't think your god is real.  They think their gods are real. why are they wrong and you right? No answer? Hmmmm

29 minutes ago, blackbird said:

This is one of the preachers who God used to change my life and probably many others.  I thank God for him.

Look - if you're finding comfort in your religious beliefs then more power to you. It's not possible to show evidence of god's existence, but i also can't prove he doesn't exist. And i respect people's personal beliefs and if you're feeling like it's making your life better that's a positive thing. Hell - even if the bible IS wrong it's still a pretty good set of rules and principles to guide you in life.

You just need to learn to keep that PERSONAL belief personal. YOU may believe that your god is real and is the one true god, but that's something you should keep in your heart, not try to force upon others. IT's not valid to say that I should be taking your god as anything BUT your imaginary friend. I'm entitled to my beliefs as well.

7 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Hell there's 1.1 billion hindu alone. They don't think your god is real.  They think their gods are real. why are they wrong and you right? No answer? Hmmmm

The answer is in the Bible.  None of them likely have any knowledge of what the Bible says.  Like many other people in the world, they don't have much knowledge of what is in the Bible, particularly the New Testament.  

You say there is no proof of God.   The one fact that Jesus Christ rose bodily from the dead after his crucifixion and was seen by many eye witnesses is pretty strong evidence that he is who he said he was, i.e. God.  Not only that but the twelve apostles who knew him and most of whom were present with him believed in him strongly after the resurrection and eight of them died as martyrs for their faith.  People don't die for a lie.  That is pretty strong evidence that what they witnessed was true.  Most courts accept the eye witness testimony of a number of people as true.  The New Testament is a testimony to the truth of it all.   If you haven't studied it, you need to.

This is the most powerful and most important messages I have ever heard in my life.  It is a message about death.

There are only two possibilities on what happens at death.  Either one dies and we are annihilated or as the Bible says "27  And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Hebrews 9:27 KJV

Since we don't know the moment of our death, we should consider this.  When we get into a car, we may be one second away from death.  We don't know.  We should never assume anything about how long we have in this world.

I would strongly urge everyone to listen to this 41 minute message carefully.  Your eternal destiny may depend on it.

The Divine Appointment | SermonAudio

Edited by blackbird

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

This is the most powerful and most important messages I have ever heard in my life.  It is a message about death.

There are only two possibilities at what happens at death.  Either one dies and we are annihilated or as the Bible says "it is appointed once to die and after this the judgment"  Hebrews 9:27 KJV  Since we don't know the moment of our death, we should consider this.  When we get into a car, we may be one second away from death.  We don't know.  We should never assume anything about how long we have in this world.

I would strongly urge everyone to listen to this 41 minute message carefully.  Your eternal destiny may depend on it.

What about all the other religions?  I'm of the opinion that possibility one is the only likely scenario, but if it were to be option two, how do you know we won't be re-incarnated as bugs, or turned into Ravens, or something like that?

8 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

What about all the other religions?  I'm of the opinion that possibility one is the only likely scenario, but if it were to be option two, how do you know we won't be re-incarnated as bugs, or turned into Ravens, or something like that?

Reincarnation is a common belief in some of the eastern religions like Buddhism, and possibly Hinduism, but it is unknown to the Bible.  The fact that Jesus Christ died for our sins and was raised from the dead and seen by many eye witnesses, I would trust what he said and his apostles and prophets who wrote the New Testament.  They never mentioned reincarnation but did say it is appointed for men once to die and after this the judgement.  The only two places I know of taught in the Bible are heaven and hell.  There is no coming back as some bug or bird from what is written.  I hope you can listen to message, The Divine Appointment, which I gave the link for.

Edited by blackbird

3 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Reincarnation is a common belief in some of the eastern religions like Buddhism, and possibly Hinduism, but it is unknown to the Bible.  The fact that Jesus Christ died for our sins and was raised from the dead and seen by many eye witnesses, I would trust what he said and his apostles and prophets who wrote the New Testament.  They never mentioned reincarnation but did say it is appointed for men once to die and after this the judgement.  The only two places I know of taught in the Bible are heaven and hell.  There is no coming back as some bug or bird from what is written.  I hope you can listen to message, The Divine Appointment, which I gave the link for.

No thanks, I'm opting for annihilation myself.  That said, if there is life after death, it doesn't have to be a Christian one.

You might end up as a Blue Jay.  There are worse things...

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

No thanks, I'm opting for annihilation myself.  That said, if there is life after death, it doesn't have to be a Christian one.

You might end up as a Blue Jay.  There are worse things...

I met an 81 year old Christian lady in the waiting area of the hospital recently who told me she had five family members who she thought went to hell.  Doesn't sound like annihilation is a choice.  The soul lives on after death.  

Just now, blackbird said:

I met an 81 year old Christian lady in the waiting area of the hospital recently who told me she had five family members who she thought went to hell.  Doesn't sound like annihilation is a choice.  The soul lives on after death.  

Well, you should have told me that an 81 year old Christian lady in the waiting area of a hospital had an opinion.  What's the point in continuing the argument, eh?

She's probably not coming back as a Blue Jay.

House sparrow, I shouldn't wonder.

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

The answer is in the Bible. 

No it isn't - the answer is on my sacred napkin. How could you doubt that?

Sorry - there is nothing in the bible that proves the bible is superior to others.

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

The one fact that Jesus Christ rose bodily from the dead after his crucifixion and was seen by many eye witnesses is pretty strong evidence that he is who he said he was, i.e. God. 

It's not even remotely close to being evidence. It's just a work of fiction. Can you produce these 'witnesses'? Can you provide independent interviews with the witnesses? No? Hmmm. 

My napkin tells me that he never did die, he managed to live till they took him down. So there you go. My napkin says 700 people saw this. The napkin has spoken.

7 hours ago, CdnFox said:

No it isn't - the answer is on my sacred napkin. How could you doubt that?

Sorry - there is nothing in the bible that proves the bible is superior to others.

It's not even remotely close to being evidence. It's just a work of fiction. Can you produce these 'witnesses'? Can you provide independent interviews with the witnesses? No? Hmmm. 

My napkin tells me that he never did die, he managed to live till they took him down. So there you go. My napkin says 700 people saw this. The napkin has spoken.

No it's not fiction.  

There are many articles that go into this subject in depth.  You can Google and find them.  I would encourage you to read some of them, but especially read the King James Bible New Testament yourself.

"203 Eyewitness Statements About Jesus In The New Testament

The Writers of the New Testament Say They Are Eyewitnesses

If we conduct a personal investigation concerning the Canonical Gospels of the New Testament, we quickly discern that we are reading testimony from men who were present when Jesus said and did the things recorded in these texts. These men state repeatedly that they saw and heard Jesus and there is no ambiguity in what they meant:

Paul: 1 Corinthians 9:1: “Am I not an apostle? Haven’t I seen Jesus our Lord with my own eyes?

Peter: 1 Peter 1:16: “We saw his majestic splendor with our own eyes.”

John: 1 John 1:1:”We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands.”

James, Paul, all the Apostles: 1 Corinthians 15:7: “Then Jesus was seen alive by James and later by all the apostles. Last of all, as though I had been born at the wrong time, I also saw him.”

Mary Magdalene: John 20:18: “Mary Magdalene found the disciples and told them, “I have seen the Lord!”

Peter: Acts 5:29-32: “But Peter and the apostles replied… We are witnesses of these things…”

John: 1 John 1:2-3: “This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us. We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us."

203 Eyewitness Statements About Jesus In The New Testament – Robert Clifton Robinson

Edited by blackbird

On 3/18/2023 at 12:45 PM, blackbird said:

The majority of Canadians in all provinces except Quebec would support capital punishment for murder.  Quebec is the only province where a minority would not support capital punishment.  Why is that?   Quebec is mostly nominal Roman Catholic and has a different ideology.  It is likely Canada abolished capital punishment because of politicians from Quebec, not the rest of Canada.  Once again they dominate Canada and most PMs come from Quebec.  The only logical reason they would support Trudeau is because he is a son of Quebec.

Ahhh those Québécois... they are so strong, they managed to make stop the capital punishment for murder in at least half of the American states as well. So they will rule the entire world.

On 3/18/2023 at 10:55 AM, I am Groot said:

It is not possible to modify the Charter except by getting appointed to the Supreme Court, where you can substitute your own beliefs for whatever is written.

Any opening of the Charter would lead to a muti year nightmarish fight with and between various provinces, especially Quebec, not to mention the natives. No politician is ever going to modify the Charter.

That is what I said. Cowards!

16 minutes ago, Benz said:

Ahhh those Québécois... they are so strong, they managed to make stop the capital punishment for murder in at least half of the American states as well. So they will rule the entire world.

Just wondering, what religious affiliation are you?

Quebec was founded by Roman church people and the majority of Quebec today is still affiliated with Romanism, although the province has changed a lot.  There are other religions and many non-practicing RCs and many diverse beliefs.

I have read some books on Quebec and Romanism, probably more than most people in western Canada. 

I have read The White and the Gold by Thomas B. Costain, an excellent history of Quebec from the beginning.  Also read the book Fifty Year in the Church of Rome by former priest from Quebec in the early 1800s and his following book, Forty Years in the Church of Christ.  I am presently studying the large book, Roman Catholicism by Lorraine Boettner, an excellent book examining the belief system in great detail and comparing it with the Bible and Protestant beliefs.

So I know a little about it.  I would say Quebec, like most countries, is a secular state but has been heavily influenced by Jesuits who founded their early schools and some of the present day universities, RC schools.  These of course influenced politicians and many others.  Many hold strong liberal views, which is why they oppose capital punishment more than the other provinces of Canada.  These liberals views were heavily influenced by Romanism and Jesuit education and political development over the years.

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

No it's not fiction.  

Prove it.  You can't.  My sacred napkin says it's fiction. The napkin has spoken.

There are many articles that go into this subject in depth.  You can Google and find them.  I would encourage you to read some of them, but especially read the King James Bible New Testament yourself.

This has been gone over for hundreds of years. Sorry - every actual expert including most religious experts agree that you cannot prove the bible is not a work of fiction.

Some of it appears to be testimony but we know that most of the works were written well after the fact. And many parts of the bible don't even have that element, they're just recountings of old stories. Who exactly saw moses come off the mount and wrote down what was happening? Would NOBODY be the correct answer?

And any author can have their character state they saw something :)  Watch this:

And Jack said unto me: "Matthew Mark Luke and John all conspired in a tavern to write a work of fiction they would sell as a religion to make easy bucks. I know this for i was there and saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears".

Wow - sounds like eye witness stuff to me!  Bible exposed!

The bible may well be based on some events or the like but it is like mostly a work of fiction. And you can't prove me wrong.  So treating it like it's a proven fact rather than a personal belief just makes you look like you aren't good at thinking. 

Like i said, saying that YOU believe it's accurate and that god has touched your life is one thing. Claiming that it's a definitively accurate work is LESS honest than claiming evolution has been proven as the source of life.

43 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Prove it.  You can't.  My sacred napkin says it's fiction. The napkin has spoken.

"One of the assertions made by critics of the New Testament, is the idea that what is written in the Synoptic Gospels, was penned long after Jesus appeared on earth. Atheists often write that men who never saw Jesus, created the narratives about Jesus, late in the first century. These adversaries of the New Testament say these men were not eyewitnesses, and a majority of the things attributed to Jesus—He never said or did. The problem with these statements, is that the actual 24,593 extant manuscript copies of the New Testament from the historical record, documents that these men saw and heard what they chronicle. The entire New Testament is a compilation of 27 letters that record 203 instances of eyewitness testimony in the 260 chapters of the New Testament."

203 Eyewitness Statements About Jesus In The New Testament – Robert Clifton Robinson

9 minutes ago, blackbird said:

"One of the assertions made by critics of the New Testament, is the idea that what is written in the Synoptic Gospels, was penned long after Jesus appeared on earth. Atheists often write that men who never saw Jesus, created the narratives about Jesus, late in the first century. These adversaries of the New Testament say these men were not eyewitnesses, and a majority of the things attributed to Jesus—He never said or did. The problem with these statements, is that the actual 24,593 extant manuscript copies of the New Testament from the historical record, documents that these men saw and heard what they chronicle. The entire New Testament is a compilation of 27 letters that record 203 instances of eyewitness testimony in the 260 chapters of the New Testament."

Soooo - the fact it was written by men who never saw jesus doesn't matter because those men SAAAAY that they they had letters from someone who did. Who may nor may not have been accurately recording the truth.

Do you need me to actually explain why that's dumb?

I SWEAR that my napkin has proof on it that your'e wrong. I didn't see that myself but someone told me. Now i've written that down for you.  So it must be true right? I spoke an eye witness. Honest.

And lets face it - that's to be expected.  Obviously god doesn't want there to be proof. If he wanted people to believe based on their being evidence he'd just put giant letters of fire in the sky saying 'Believe in me or you're all salt. Seriously- get worshipping or i will flood your asses again right now, i'm totally serious".

That'd do it. But no.  So he doesn't want there to be proof.

And there isn't. So you're wrong.

7 hours ago, CdnFox said:

And there isn't. So you're wrong.

The evidence for Jesus' resurrection is overwhelming just in this quote alone.

"

An eyewitness is more reliable than secondhand testimony or hearsay

A majority of the texts for the New Testament were written by eyewitnesses. The writers are careful to tell the reader that they were not convinced that Jesus was God at first, but only believed after they saw Him alive after His brutal crucifixion. Various writers make clear and specific statements that what they are writing is truthful and they are not lying:

2 Peter 1:16-18: “We saw his majestic splendor with our own eyes when he received honor and glory from God the Father (on the high mountain).” 

1 John 1:1-3: “We proclaim to you the one who existed from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen. We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands. He is the Word of life. This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us. We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.” 

1 John 4:14 “Furthermore, we have seen with our own eyes and now testify that the Father sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.” 

"

The belief that Jesus had risen from the dead was considered insanity by the Roman Emperors. Should they allow this mental illness to spread throughout the provinces of the empire, Roman Emperors believed this insanity would destroy the very fabric of Roman society.

Records in the Roman archives present us with letters between governors and emperors, describing the resurrection of Jesus and how dangerous it was to the Roman way of life.

In response to this threat, ten Roman emperors executed over five million Christians during the first 250 years of Christianity.[5b]"

This is something I never knew myself.  Mind boggling history.

3 Eyewitness Statements About Jesus In The New Testament – Robert Clifton Robinson

Edited by blackbird

The evidence for Jesus' resurrection is overwhelming just in this quote alone.

It's not even evidence. Its fiction. It's like quoting gandalf and pretending the lord of the rings is real.

They're not 'eyewitness' - the reports are not written by those who saw nor can they be independently verified. A bunch of cultists want to make some fast cash pushing a religion and they amazingly report seeing a miracle.

The only thing it's proof of is that people love a good story and there's a sucker born every minute.

Someone asked me how fast light travels.   I said I think about 300,000 km per second.  This means if stars are light years away, that distance is mind-boggling.  That means the distance light travels between stars to reach earth is unimaginable.   When you think about the existence of light, gravity, and the radio frequency spectrum, atoms, molecules, and all the complex laws of physics that govern it all, it should not be hard to believe it required an intelligent-designer to create it all.   A Creator whose spirit is present everywhere, yet He is separate and apart from the universe He created.  It should be obvious to any rational person that the things did not just appear out of nowhere.  They required an infinitely powerful designer-Creator we call God.   So it is reasonable that this God created the universe for his purposes and we likewise were created for a purpose.   

To claim it is all just some kind of cosmic accident that came into existence by itself is illogical in the extreme.  

So if we accept that God is and did create everything, then of course it makes sense that he would communicate with mankind with the Holy Scriptures, and that he would send his Son to die on a cross for mankind because he loves mankind so much.  It all comes together and make sense to anyone who considers it a bit.

The only reason people don't see it is because of their blindness.  This blindness is caused by sin.  Unless God opens their mind and lifts this blindness, they will not see it.  That is why the Bible says salvation is by grace through faith.

God does not send a bolt of lightning to change someone's mind.  He has given us two things that point us to who he is:

1.  The creation which is all around us if we take the time to consider it and accept that it is his creation.

2.  His written revelation, in English, the King James Bible.

Romans chapter one describes this situation.

"19  Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. {in them: or, to them} 20  For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: {so…: or, that they may be} 21  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22  Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23  And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 24  Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25  Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen."    Romans 1:19-25 KJV

On 3/21/2023 at 11:25 PM, blackbird said:

Yes it does...IF you believe. I tell my kids all the time, take care of what I'm giving you and work to make the family wealth bigger...

Because I'm coming back as one of your great grandchildren.  ;)

On 3/22/2023 at 10:49 AM, blackbird said:

Just wondering, what religious affiliation are you?

Quebec was founded by Roman church people and the majority of Quebec today is still affiliated with Romanism, although the province has changed a lot.  There are other religions and many non-practicing RCs and many diverse beliefs.

I have read some books on Quebec and Romanism, probably more than most people in western Canada. 

I have read The White and the Gold by Thomas B. Costain, an excellent history of Quebec from the beginning.  Also read the book Fifty Year in the Church of Rome by former priest from Quebec in the early 1800s and his following book, Forty Years in the Church of Christ.  I am presently studying the large book, Roman Catholicism by Lorraine Boettner, an excellent book examining the belief system in great detail and comparing it with the Bible and Protestant beliefs.

So I know a little about it.  I would say Quebec, like most countries, is a secular state but has been heavily influenced by Jesuits who founded their early schools and some of the present day universities, RC schools.  These of course influenced politicians and many others.  Many hold strong liberal views, which is why they oppose capital punishment more than the other provinces of Canada.  These liberals views were heavily influenced by Romanism and Jesuit education and political development over the years.

I am born catholic but, now I am rather atheist, or just agnostic. I am not saying it is impossible that a god can exist. What I think is, if there is a god, I am 100% sure it is not what the believers (whatever the religion) think. So my position is, god is irrelevant to the society we built and upkeep.

From the day that Britain won against the French until the 60's, the churches were playing a major role in Quebec's society. Much bigger than when France owned Canada. The British used them to control the french (canadiens). Everything changed drastically in the 60's and after. We called that, the quiet revolution. The Québécois chose to kick the religion out of the politic and set a clear secularism. Now, in Québec, the place of the religion is only for spirituality. No room for politic. Unlike in the rest of Canada where people accept that the religious can play a role in politic. Like telling the people what to wear or not during a public job, even when it is a position of authority. Changing the rules so they do not apply the same way depending on your religion. This is a major difference between Québec and the roc. Neverthanless, English Canada is divided on that and a substantial number of english canadians share our opinion.

The religion may not have today the influence it once had in the past but, it is true that the values of many Québécois, even among those who no longer believe in god, are very close to the catholic ones. So yes, you are right about the influences and how it translates to the difference between French and English Canadians. For the catholics, you get a better place in heaven if you are not materialistic. For the protestants, it's the opposite, the bigger is the wealth, the better is the place in heaven. Well, I over simplify it and it is more complex than that, but it explains a little why the French are more open to socialism than the English.

Strong in the sense of strong in liberalism, which is destroying the west.  Just ask Trudeau.  Anyone who disagrees with him is a "flat earther".

I guess it makes me a flat earther as well. The LPC has redefined the word liberal and it is now synonymous to corruption. It's the only party where you can ask any member how much would you sell your mother and you can get a price. I do not see them as the lighthouse of the liberalism at all. They rather flirt with neoliberalism. 

Since 1982, the LPC never been popular in Quebec among the french. Only the entire english community and the huge majority of the immigrants were voting for them. Among the french, the LPC is rather third. The only exception was the 2015's election. A bunch of young voters were too young to remember the Chretien/Martin's era or had no clue who was father Trudeau. But that was temporary. The french are rather divided between Bloc and Conservatice. The NDP replaced the Bloc 2 elections but, that is also back to normal.

So, no. Trudeau IS NOT Quebec. Not at all. Trudeau's vision of what Canada should be, is pretty much the opposite of what we would like. He is harmful to both Quebec and the West. The liberals always been good at using our divisions one against another. 

Edited by Benz

On 3/23/2023 at 10:11 AM, Benz said:

. I am not saying it is impossible that a god can exist. What I think is, if there is a god, I am 100% sure it is not what the believers (whatever the religion) think. So my position is, god is irrelevant to the society we built and upkeep.

The King James Bible is full of the evidence of God.  There is only one God, the God of the Bible and Jesus Christ his Son.  Many eyewitnesses testify in the New Testament to the fact Jesus Christ was raised from the dead.

If you examine the Bible, Jesus has everything to do with our lives. He is a personal God that is knowable personally.  That's the kind of God he is.  Every individual can come to know him personally and He will be part of our lives.  So he is extremely relevant to society and what is happening in the world, which He created.

Edited by blackbird

On 3/26/2023 at 6:20 AM, blackbird said:

The King James Bible is full of the evidence of God.  There is only one God, the God of the Bible and Jesus Christ his Son.  Many eyewitnesses testify in the New Testament to the fact Jesus Christ was raised from the dead.

If you examine the Bible, Jesus has everything to do with our lives. He is a personal God that is knowable personally.  That's the kind of God he is.  Every individual can come to know him personally and He will be part of our lives.  So he is extremely relevant to society and what is happening in the world, which He created.

You are confusing evidence with saying.

When we observe today's world. It is easy to notice that despite the knowledge and the technology, humans are struggling to communicate with each others. We often have te repeat and confirm to make sure we understand each others. That within one nation of the same language, same culture. Then we translate and adapt our message to other languages if we need to reach the highest number of people.

That God is suppose to be so powerful that it can creates the world, all the physic laws, matter, life, etc... but that same God would have waited 13 billions of years before creating humans, and then it would have waited a long time to communicate important messages about the rules the humans are suppose to follow. Instead of telling everyone the same thing at once and make sure we all understand, it would always communicate to just few men at a period of time where communication just can't spread everywhere. Always to the same culture, only to the one that believes in it/him/her. Even if it means that the majority of humans can't have access to its saying. Really? Such a divine entity wouldn't be smarter than that? So lazy that it counts on few limited individuals to do the job of something that is supposed to so important to everyone? I mean come on. Only a simplistic individual could think like that.

I think it is interesting to think and debate on the possibility of the existence of a creator like that. However, all the gods imagined by the religions sound way to wacky to be true.

That said, I respect your belief and I know it makes you feel good to believe in it.