Supreme Court imposes cruelty on families

32 minutes ago, blackbird said:

No.  Wisdom comes from God himself.  Faith in itself does not necessarily equate to wisdom, although it is a sign a person is on the right track to grow in wisdom.  The wisdom come from almighty God through his written revelation as revealed by the Holy Spirit working in an individual.  A good example of God's wisdom which Solomon had is described in 1 Kings ch3 in the Bible:

"16  Then came there two women, that were harlots, unto the king, and stood before him. 17  And the one woman said, O my lord, I and this woman dwell in one house; and I was delivered of a child with her in the house. 18  And it came to pass the third day after that I was delivered, that this woman was delivered also: and we were together; there was no stranger with us in the house, save we two in the house. 19  And this woman’s child died in the night; because she overlaid it. 20  And she arose at midnight, and took my son from beside me, while thine handmaid slept, and laid it in her bosom, and laid her dead child in my bosom. 21  And when I rose in the morning to give my child suck, behold, it was dead: but when I had considered it in the morning, behold, it was not my son, which I did bear. 22  And the other woman said, Nay; but the living is my son, and the dead is thy son. And this said, No; but the dead is thy son, and the living is my son. Thus they spake before the king. 23  Then said the king, The one saith, This is my son that liveth, and thy son is the dead: and the other saith, Nay; but thy son is the dead, and my son is the living. 24  And the king said, Bring me a sword. And they brought a sword before the king. 25  And the king said, Divide the living child in two, and give half to the one, and half to the other. 26  Then spake the woman whose the living child was unto the king, for her bowels yearned upon her son, and she said, O my lord, give her the living child, and in no wise slay it. But the other said, Let it be neither mine nor thine, but divide it. {yearned: Heb. were hot} 27  Then the king answered and said, Give her the living child, and in no wise slay it: she is the mother thereof. 28  And all Israel heard of the judgment which the king had judged; and they feared the king: for they saw that the wisdom of God was in him, to do judgment. {in him: Heb. in the midst of him} "   1 King 3:16-28 KJV

King Solomon had received wisdom of God.

And the Lord sayeth onto Moses....

"Come Fourth" but came fifth and won a teapot.

Edited by Legato

On 3/16/2023 at 3:25 PM, CdnFox said:

It was intended PRECISELY for when you don't like the outcome of a court decision

Not true. It was not intended to be used whenever the current government “doesn’t like” a court decision 

It’s meant foe only the most extreme situations and serious events like a national emergency   

The tight always claims to be the party of freedom but they are always so quick to resort to the most extreme and heavy-handed anti-democratic nuclear option whenever they “don’t like” something.

On 3/18/2023 at 3:50 PM, blackbird said:

Why do you think people like Clifford Olson who killed all kinds of kids or the guy that killed a dozen people should not get capital punishment?  Or the guy that shot two police officers or even one police officer in Ontario?  Do you seriously think no capital punishment is sending the right message to would-be murderers?  They know they will be coddled for the next 25 years at taxpayer's expense if they are caught and then maybe get out on parole.  Some message!

Nobody said you would have to flip the switch.  There are countless people who would do the job.

Ridiculous. As if a would-be murderer would say “I don’t mid going to jail for life so I think I’ll just murder people whenever want and not care if I get caught”

Of course the US has the death penalty and of course has a worse murder rate.  Most of the states with the highest murder rate have the death penalty. 

12 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

Not true. It was not intended to be used whenever the current government “doesn’t like” a court decision 

It absolutely was.

It’s meant foe only the most extreme situations and serious events like a national emergency   

No, the emergency act is there for emergencies. It's right in the name.  The notwithstanding clause is for laws - not emergencies.

When they were crafting the charter they said "well we can't think of every circumstance. We don't want to be in a circumstance where we don't think the right is appropriate and be forced to have it".

So they said "fine - we'll give you the right to waive charter rights  - but you have to pass a law to do it and that law has to be renewed every 5 years."

SO that's PRECISELY what it's for.  If the gov't doesn't think that charter rights should apply in a specific circumstance they use the notwithstanding clause and bypass those rights. OF course they'll face the voters over it, and the next party may choose not to renew it.  (and if not THEY'LL have to explain that to voters.)

But yes - it's there to remove charter rights when the gov't feels like it.

37 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

Ridiculous. As if a would-be murderer would say “I don’t mid going to jail for life so I think I’ll just murder people whenever want and not care if I get caught”

Of course the US has the death penalty and of course has a worse murder rate.  Most of the states with the highest murder rate have the death penalty. 

The U.S. is an entirely different country with ten times the population and runs entirely differently.  The have Constitutional rights to carry firearms which has resulted in tens of thousands of deaths per year.  Of course it can't be compared and is not relevant to the discussion.

Criminals likely don't think a lot about the penalty or they don't think straight or logically, but the death penalty should give some second thoughts.  It's pretty straightforward and simple.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Tonnes of people who don't believe in  god are wise.

Not according to the Biblical definition.  

"7  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. "  Proverbs 1:7 KJV

There are many people who think they are wise according to this world's standards, but in God's eyes they are fools.

The Bible says plainly those that do not believe in God are fools.   "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."  Psalm 1:1  KJV  It is very clear so there is nothing to debate about it.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Tonnes of people who don't believe in  god are wise.

"

In “You Don’t Know What You Don’t Know: Knowledge, Understanding, and Wisdom,” Hugh Whelchel charts the differences between the three terms. Whelchel says that at first glance the terms seem almost interchangeable, but there are differences. 

Knowledge, he says, deals with knowing the facts. People with knowledge can “collect, remember, and access information,” but they might not know what to do with that information. A person can be knowledgeable without being wise.

Understanding, Whelchel says, is “the ability to translate meaning from the facts. Those with understanding can “extract the meaning out of information”—seeing the what, how, and why—enabling a person to produce life principles.

Wisdom, then, is “knowing what to do next, given an understanding of the facts and circumstances.” A person with wisdom knows which principle to apply in a given context and do the right thing.'

What Does the Bible Say about Knowledge? (biblestudytools.com)

Many people who do not believe in God have knowledge.  We know that.  But wisdom is an entirely different thing.  Without God there is no true wisdom.  God is the source of true wisdom.

When leaders of a country and other people allow or support abortion on demand, allow doctor assisted suicide, and yet oppose capital punishment for murderers, you know they lack wisdom that comes from God.  They might have knowledge about a lot of things particularly their political ideology of liberalism.  But when that is contrary to God's revelation to man, the Bible, then you know they lack wisdom.

10 minutes ago, blackbird said:

"

When leaders of a country and other people allow or support abortion on demand, allow doctor assisted suicide, and yet oppose capital punishment for murderers, you know they lack wisdom that comes from God.  They might have knowledge about a lot of things particularly their political ideology of liberalism.  But when that is contrary to God's revelation to man, the Bible, then you know they lack wisdom.

Putting people to death is not the same as giving them control over their own lives.

36 minutes ago, Aristides said:

When leaders of a country and other people allow or support abortion on demand, allow doctor assisted suicide, and yet oppose capital punishment for murderers, you know they lack wisdom that comes from God. 

Not really. The first two are decisions made by private individuals. IS freedom of choice anti god? God doesn't want people to choose anything? What was the deal with the apple then?

THe last one is a state decision of the most profound possible - a state that couldn't get pass port offices right and screwed up an app that someone else was able to do a better version of in a weekend.

They are not the same thing

23 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Not really. The first two are decisions made by private individuals. IS freedom of choice anti god? God doesn't want people to choose anything? What was the deal with the apple then?

THe last one is a state decision of the most profound possible - a state that couldn't get pass port offices right and screwed up an app that someone else was able to do a better version of in a weekend.

They are not the same thing

I never said that, it is a quote from Blackbird I was responding to.

34 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Then the bible is mentally challenged.

Saying that shows you are a deeply troubled individual. You sound like a very young person, maybe under 20 or 30.  Pride is one of the deadly sins.  That is a big ego thinking you know everything and there is nothing anybody can teach you or point out to you.  That is pride, a deadly sin.

"15  For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16  So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. " Romans 9:15, 16 KJV

All mankind is lost unless God saves them.  

You cannot be saved and receive eternal life unless God chooses you.  Nobody can.  That is the way it is according to  Romans ch.9 KJV  

"18  Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. 19  Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? 20  Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? {repliest…: or, answerest again, or, disputest with God?} 21  Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? 22  What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: {fitted: or, made up} 23  And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, 24  Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles? "  Romans 9:18-24 KJV

I will say a prayer, but it is in God's hands.  I pray that God will have mercy on you and open your eyes so that you might believe the Bible, believe the gospel and receive eternal life.  In Jesus name, Amen.

2 hours ago, blackbird said:

What makes you think it is imaginary friends?  How did you come to that conclusion?

Your words made it fairly apparent, both here and at other times.  An unmitigated arrogance about your religion, your illogical and fallacious stance that your god rather than any one else's or any other source is the source of all wisdom, your frequent use of  that religion as  a crutch you lean on when you don't have a logical argument.

Generally speaking i leave people to their faith.  I've seen you make many highly questionable religious statements on this forum but as a policy i don't comment on people's faith beliefs, they have their right to them no matter how batty. Seriously i woudln't normally bug even a dedicated pastafarian. So i let it go without comment.

But you seem determined to rub your faith in my face today and use it as a pathetic and needy substitute for a rational argument and demand... DEMAAAAAANNNDD that i acknowledge your god as a valid and existential dataset.

It isn't, and you're being insulting. So - now you get a talking to about it.

There are lots of people that are of true faith and belief. You are not one of them. You are a faux christian who's ideology is a crutch to help him cope with life and arguments he can't get his head around instead of someone who actually has a well founded belief in god.

So i will thank you to keep your ridiculous religious rantings out of my face and out of our discussions. In return i will continue to not comment on them generally and leave you to them.

38 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

As a Christian in all seriousness I would ask the question - "Who would Jesus kill?"

;)

Pharaoh. The answer is always Pharaoh.  Or everyone. Take your pick, :)

Joking aside regardless of whether god is real or not the principles of the christian religion are a pretty reasonable and rewarding creed to guide your life with. As long as you don't substitute it for reason and as long as you don't demand others subscribe.

Anyway - i got distracted, are we kicking pharaoh's ass or what?

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

An unmitigated arrogance about your religion, your illogical and fallacious stance that your god rather than any one else's or any other source is the source of all wisdom

I am sorry you took it that way.  I apologize if I came across as arrogant.  Actually you are blaming me for my God being the only true God, but in fact that is what the Bible and Jesus Christ say.  So if I am believing God and Jesus who is also the Son of God and part of the triune God of the Bible, how am I being arrogant?  I am simply saying what God said in his written word, the Bible.  

You can fault me for coming across as arrogant, because I can understand your point that in a world of many major religions and belief systems, when one religion such Christianity claims to be the only true religion, naturally you would interpret that as arrogant.  People who don't believe the Bible to begin with would naturally interpret that as arrogant.

So I don't blame you for believing that I am arrogant.  If claiming Jesus and the God of the Bible is the only true God and the only truth, defines one as arrogant, then I have to plead guilty.  I am sorry that offends you though.  My failure is I am a poor communicator for Biblical matters.   I have failed at communicating what I believe and what the Bible says without coming across as arrogant.  I concede that is entirely my fault.  I am sorry you were offended by it.

My problem if you call it that is that I take the Bible literally in general and I take Jesus words literally.  Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."  gospel of John, ch14 vs 6.  KJV

Jesus is saying right in that verse that he is the only way to heaven or to reach the Father.   The way I see it is that it means Christianity is by it's nature an exclusive religion.  If one takes what Jesus said at its face value, then all other religions and belief systems must be rejected because that is in effect what he is saying here.  Or is my interpretation wrong?  That is the problem I face.  So I must acknowledge I have been arrogant.   I just don't know what to say about it other than what I have said.  I am truly sorry you find it offensive and arrogant.  

Perhaps I need to learn how to better communicate in a diplomatic manner.  I am still struggling with that because I don't know how to do that.  That is my fault and problem.  You are not the first person who has found me to be arrogant.  I am still struggling with that problem.  I admit it is my achilles heel or weakness.   How do I communicate if my beliefs are so repulsive?   I don't know.

On 3/18/2023 at 12:45 PM, blackbird said:

The majority of Canadians in all provinces except Quebec would support capital punishment for murder.

How does it work with "lifers"? Isn't all life sacred and precious OMG (sic) can you figure?

Let's hear the argument though. What is so unconstitutional with consecutive sentences? Why is it so wrong?

6 hours ago, myata said:

How does it work with "lifers"? Isn't all life sacred and precious OMG (sic) can you figure?

Let's hear the argument though. What is so unconstitutional with consecutive sentences? Why is it so wrong?

Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm not sure what you are asking.  Yes, according to the Bible human life is sacred.  But according to the Bible in Genesis 9:6 KJV, murderers were to be executed.  This would be by lawful authorities or government, not vigilantes.