Canadian Catholic student arrested for saying men are different from women.

2 minutes ago, West said:

The right of a trans to not be disagreed with trumps the right of a child to recieve an education... what a time to be alive ?

that's just how the Charter is written

Section 1 will override Section 2 in the interests of public order

there is no First Amendment in Canada

• Like 1

Just now, Dougie93 said:

that's just how the Charter is written

Section 1 will override Section 2 in the interests of public order

there is no First Amendment in Canada

We've known for awhile now the charter is a joke. 

Theirs a victim hierarchy. Trans are higher on the list a straight white christians are always wrong.. it's just there to protect perverted abuses of power

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

If the strategy was supposed to leave a child without an education and further hatred towards a group then i would argue things are far worse than we thought.

No respect was taught here, you can't encourage respect for one person by showing complete disrespect for another.

The outcome speaks for itself.

No, I mean on the kid's side.  He seemed to connect with a team pretty quickly.

I don't think that following through on consequences is not showing respect.  

Beyond these platitudes and guesses there's nothing to say.  Wait for Court to rule.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

2. I disagree.  The Scopes Trial for example.

Dude - the scopes trial was about an ADULT TEACHER against the education law, NOT AN EDUCATION OF A STUDENT.  The fact they were arguing over a curriculum doesn't make it an 'educational situation'.

But - what we're talking about HERE is a child and that child's education Children are not the same as adults. The education system  has a duty of care towards the children. Children are why it exists.

Entirely different in every respect. Unless you have a better example i have to say educational situations going to court mean someone has failed badly.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Section 1 can be interpreted so broadly,

that it can be used to negate the other rights below

under the rubric of "reasonable"

I guess we have to determine if we want to live in a place where  "hurt feelings" is REASONABLE to suspend a child's right to get an education. In my view, no it's not

Edited by West

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I can't see the post, but I am familiar with the case.  This is what I was telling Groot about, intellectual dishonesty.

The student was arrested for trespassing, not stating an opinion.

While what you say is true, the chain of causation still follows that he wound up being arrested for this view.

He was suspended for taking part in a class discussion on the issue of male/female bathrooms. He was booted out of class, out of school, and then later served an 'exclusiion' order to not come back because trans students felt unsafe due to his opinions. All of which is pretty outrageous, in my view. Should he have tried to go back anyway? No. But when he showed up he was arrested and taken away.

“It was about male students using female washrooms, gender dysphoria and male breastfeeding. Everyone was sharing their opinions on it, any student who wanted to was participating, including the teacher,” Alexander said.

“I said there were only two genders, and you were born either a male or a female, and that got me into trouble. And then I said that gender doesn’t trump biology.”

https://canoe.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-catholic-high-school-student-suspended-then-arrested-for-saying-there-are-only-two-genders/wcm/b4a7230b-bfaf-4b1d-a29f-f340fb3eb00f

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

I knew this was a lie, since it was from Fox, but I fact-checked it anyway. He was arrested for trespassing.

He was expelled first for opposing a biological male using a girls’ washroom after girls expressed concern.  What’s more startling is that the Catholic Church doesn’t recognize any gender except the biological one with which one is born, so this school is openly heretical. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Furthermore, expression of opinions in school isn't sacrosanct or even protected speech.

Speaking about protecting HS girls from predators in their washroom shouldn't get a student kicked out for the rest of the year. Leftards are out of control now. 

The fact that there's a debate on this issue is outrageous. 

Just now, WestCanMan said:

Speaking about protecting HS girls from predators in their washroom shouldn't get a student kicked out for the rest of the year. Leftards are out of control now. 

The fact that there's a debate on this issue is outrageous. 

Canada is probably too far gone now, because the average person in Canada is scared to say what they think at work or in school now.  Basically Canada is run by the radical left across all parties.  I’m not sure the Conservatives would take a different stance from the Liberals because the Liberals have enshrined views that are basically lies in human rights legislation.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

He was booted out of class, out of school, and then later served an 'exclusiion' order to not come back because trans students felt unsafe due to his opinions.

"The student's mere opinions make the trans kids feel unsafe, so he has to go, but girls have to pretend to feel safe while sharing the bathroom with biological males or they have a problem." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Americana Antifa said:

I knew this was a lie, since it was from Fox, but I fact-checked it anyway. He was arrested for trespassing.

Ahhhh no, no this didn't come from me  :)  Reason10 is the poster :)But thanks for showing up and amusing us with your antics ;)

Still wrestling with being a hate filled bigot i see  :)

Edited by CdnFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

"The student's mere opinions make the trans kids feel unsafe, so he has to go, but girls have to pretend to feel safe while sharing the bathroom with biological males or they have a problem." 

Trans students don't feel safe with girls who don't feel safe.  Get rid of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

I'm very confused.

I've noticed, but didn't want to bring it up.

4 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

Do you think I blamed you for this?

Sounded like it. You obviously didn't read the op's article because it said straght in it that the kid was arrested for trespassing so you wouldn't have had to 'look it up if you had access to the article. i mean the article doesn't say what the forum post title said, it's very clear that the charge he was arrested for was tresspass, but that the charge is a direct result of his voicing his opinion.

And considering i posted a rather large number of posts demonstrating that even tho you can't say he was CHARGED with "opinion" it's entirely realistic to say he was charged because of it it seemed more likely you were referring to me. If they hadn't objected to his opinion his being there would not have been trespass. Remove the opinon and if everything else was the same there's no charges. 

So are you suggesting that you meant the article? Would you explain your comments then - the article and the article's headline never say he was directly charged for his opinion at all, and they identify the charge as trespass so what exactly did you have to go and 'look up'?  The article never said he was charged for his opinion.

14 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

Yeah, the lie I was referring to was him getting arrested for being stupid. He was actually just suspended for being stupid.

THe article never said he was arrested FOR being 'stupid' as you put it. Soooo - who lied exactly?

But it did note that was the inciting event, without the 'stupid' you have no arrest period. So saying that the arrest was a result of his opinion is not wrong.

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Trans students don't feel safe with girls who don't feel safe.  Get rid of them

You got me thinking.. what if the folks who feel unsafe there find other places that would not cause them discomfort, like I'm sure the community will come up with options. Would it be against something in the Holy Charter too, and cause arrests and tresspassings?

This may very well be the only option left to stop self-righteous bigots waving police batons to kick and batter humanity into the better future they have seen, as always. It began with love and freedom, remember?

Edited by myata

5 hours ago, Americana Antifa said:

Yeah, the lie I was referring to was him getting arrested for being stupid. He was actually just suspended for being stupid.

No, he was expelled from Catholic school for expressing Catholic beliefs and protecting the safety concerns of females who use female washrooms. It’s supposed to be a legal requirement to attend school.  Trespassing is clearly the enforcement tool that this moral coward of a principal used to prevent this student from attending school.  This all could’ve been solved by making a single non-gender washroom available to the trans student.  

4 hours ago, myata said:

So denying him education for expression of personal opinion was OK? Good intentions Michael, tricky, slippery slope.

Mike always takes the side of using power to squelch opposition, no matter whether it’s against constitutionally protected rights or a matter of morality.  He will cite a rare counter-example that isn’t really analogous.  The problem with this level of justification for mistreatment is that it enables more of it.  These kinds of oppression have become normalized in Canada.   People have no recourse to criticize or push back because they can lose their jobs or be de-platformed in some other way.  The right not to be offended (which doesn’t exist) is used to prevent people from expressing opinions (which it appears is no longer a right in Canada).   Canada doesn’t have free speech and is a weak democracy.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, I am Groot said:

1. While what you say is true, the chain of causation still follows that he wound up being arrested for this view.

2. He was suspended for taking part in a class discussion on the issue of male/female bathrooms. He was booted out of class, out of school, and then later served an 'exclusiion' order to not come back because trans students felt unsafe due to his opinions.

All of which is pretty outrageous, in my view. Should he have tried to go back anyway? No. But when he showed up he was arrested and taken away.

1. Yes.

2. The specific circumstances aren't clear, even if the broad details are right.

The reality is that he would not be free to say anything at all on the topic as he wishes to do.  Imagine the student had a religious objection to race mixing.  The school would similarly have to restrict him opinionating on that.