United Church Affirms Support for Trans Youth

3 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

I know the five Solas of the Reformation

while you don't seem to actually

so I don't know what to think

I stated what I believe.   You claim to be a Protestant.  So tell us in your own words and stop hiding behind the Five Solas.

Edited by blackbird

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

that is what I believe

Terrific.  Good.  Just one last question if you will permit me.  You believe in Sola Scriptura which means Scripture is your only rule of faith and practice.  Do you believe that?   Thank you.

Edited by blackbird

8 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Terrific.  Good.  Just one last question is you will permit me.  You believe in Sola Scriptura which means Scripture is your only rule of faith and practice.  Do you believe that?   Thank you.

I don't believe that scripture is infallible as you assert

for example, Matthew, Mark & Luke are virtually identical, Synoptic

while John is quite different

John contradicts the other Gospels, example : Mark says Jesus hid His true identity, John says He didn't

Edited by Dougie93

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

John contradicts the other Gospels, Mark says Jesus hid His true identity, John says He didn't

I am not sure what kind of Bible translation you are reading.  But I don't agree.

You sound confused.  Don't know what I can say about that.  Will have to leave that for now.  You will have to do some investigation, but sounds totally wrong.   I can't do the research on that.

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

3. I think that it's arrogant to assume that those who disagree with you on moral matters such as these are just.... wrong.  Our democracy was built on pluralistic tolerance.

I agree. But the mere fact there is no discussion permitted on this topic is what is building up such anger. A kid was basically tossed out of school a couple of weeks ago for daring to express his opinion that there were only two genders. He was then banned from campus because the school said trans students didn't feel 'safe' due to his opinion.

Police were called to school board meetings twice in the last week in Ottawa because parents dared to ask questions about this topic. The mere act of daring to question, never mind disagree, has been deemed by the fanatics, otherwise known as the school boards, to create an 'unsafe' environment. You can be banned from many social media sites for disagreeing with the narrative. In some countries you can be arrested for suggesting only females are women.

Where is that pluralistic tolerance you speak of?

3 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

We need to educate people on why some people are transgendered.

About 5% of them are transgendered because they suffer from gender dysmorphia.

The other 95% suffer from a variety of emotional and psychological illnesses or are kids following a fad and looking for attention, an excuse, or to get sympathy and praise.

9 hours ago, I am Groot said:

1. But the mere fact there is no discussion permitted on this topic is what is building up such anger.

2. Where is that pluralistic tolerance you speak of?

1. 2. You said that the United Church didn't believe in God or something.  Now you're talking about school boards actions.  Of course people on the same side of an issue will behave differently.

The school and church do need to recognize that people will disagree with this value, but the compromise includes accepting rules of decorum.  To me, it means not saying certain things in the school setting. Public sphere should be free though.

16 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

John contradicts the other Gospels, example : Mark says Jesus hid His true identity, John says He didn't

"Any unbiased document scholar will agree that the Bible has been remarkably well-preserved over the centuries. Copies of the Bible dating to the 14th century AD are nearly identical in content to copies from the 3rd century AD. When the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, scholars were shocked to see how similar they were to other ancient copies of the Old Testament, even though the Dead Sea Scrolls were hundreds of years older than anything previously discovered. Even many hardened skeptics and critics of the Bible admit that the Bible has been transmitted over the centuries far more accurately than any other ancient document.

There is absolutely no evidence that the Bible has been revised, edited, or tampered with in any systematic manner. The sheer volume of biblical manuscripts makes it simple to recognize any attempt to distort God’s Word. There is no major doctrine of the Bible that is put in doubt as a result of the inconsequential differences among the manuscripts.

Again, the question, can we trust the Bible? Absolutely! God has preserved His Word despite the unintentional failings and intentional attacks of human beings. We can have utmost confidence that the Bible we have today is the same Bible that was originally written. The Bible is God’s Word, and we can trust it (2 Timothy 3:16; Matthew 5:18)."

Has the Bible been corrupted, altered, edited, revised, or tampered with? | GotQuestions.org

The differences between the four gospels are not contradictions.  Each wrote from his own perspective and to a certain audience.  They are not contradicting each other.   It just depends how you understand what they wrote.

"We have four gospels because during the early church period, four people found it necessary to tell the story of Jesus from four different perspectives. Each gospel was written for a different (original) group of people, by a different author, who was trying to accomplish a different purpose."

Guide to the Four Gospels - OverviewBible

The King James Bible (1611) is an absolutely accurate and trustworthy Bible.  Modern versions are corrupted in many ways and one should avoid those.

For countless articles on the King James Bible go to:

The King James Bible Defended! (jesus-is-savior.com)

Edited by blackbird

10 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

You said that the United Church didn't believe in God or something

bear in mind, this is the largest Protestant denomination in Canada

with over 2,700 congregations and over 388,000 members

seems odd that they would all be atheists

surely atheists don't need to act through a church to impose their agenda

that is what the Canadian government is for

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

bear in mind, this is the largest Protestant denomination in Canada

with over 2,700 congregations and over 388,000 members

seems odd that they would all be atheists

surely atheists don't need to act through a church to impose their agenda

that is what the Canadian government is for

I think the article refers to the American church - because Canada isn't mentioned.
They're not athiests, they're humanists as far as I can tell.

I know you don't believe in "popery" but the Catholic Church has a hierarchy and as such you can witness schisms such as are happening around transgenderism and theology right now.

9 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I think the article refers to the American church - because Canada isn't mentioned.
They're not athiests, they're humanists as far as I can tell.

I know you don't believe in "popery" but the Catholic Church has a hierarchy and as such you can witness schisms such as are happening around transgenderism and theology right now.

do you think a schism in Christianity is inciting a new religion ?