Far left Calgary mayor to propose a bylaw of a $10,000 fine and one year in prison for protesting trans grooming of children

Everybody wants to stop others from expressing themselves.

Things are getting stupid.  I might take my kids to drag story time, but probably not.  It's become a culture war fight, where people fight so they can fight and I don't want to expose my kids to that.

This ridiculous controversy will pass soon.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Things are getting stupid. 

I think the demands some are making from this community have become so ridiculous, that I don't blame the fact that some are sick and tired of it.

As a black person, I have to accept that there is still racism in this world. I have to accept, that often when I dated white women, that I had to live down stereotypes of other black men that they had dated. IE womanizing, cheating and being prideful of having "side pieces". 

Nobody cares how I feel about any of this. 

If I got my hair braided and wore baggy clothing like I did as a teen, I now look like a hoodlum, and police occasionally stopping me is fair game. People only care how I feel in this case, if it fits a narrative.

Which brings me back to this community.

We are now socially expected to care how people feel inside. By some of these activists, demanded to, even.

Be gay. Be trans. Be proud. Just don't shove it down my throat.

I personally don't protest these movements, but have rolled my eyes at some of the demands I have heard.

I believe in their right to express themselves, but more importantly  my right to speak with my feet, should I not be in agreement with anything that they stand for.

The world would be a better place if parties from both sides respected the same.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

1. Nobody cares how I feel about any of this. 

2. People only care how I feel in this case, if it fits a narrative.

3. We are now socially expected to care how people feel inside.  

4. Be gay. Be trans. Be proud. Just don't shove it down my throat.

5. ... have rolled my eyes at some of the demands I have heard.

6. The world would be a better place if parties from both sides respected the same.

1. Why do you think that?  Lots of people care about racism.

2. So they DO care, sometimes.

3. That's always been a valued trait.  It's called consideration and sensitivity.

4. What does don't shove it down your throat mean specifically though?  Whenever I hear that, it seems to come to telling people to quiet down.  Have you ever heard the term 'uppity'?

5. Of course.

6. Reasonable discourse, listening, understanding of and respect for rights... Absolutely.

16 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Why do you think that?  Lots of people care about racism.

1 - In the media? It only seems to be discussed, under guise of common narrative. I was always called the "whitest black man" people had ever met. I am very good at ice hockey, I can ski, I am and have always been a book worm, etc. Again, my blackness matters only when it fits a narrative. If and when I would denounce things in my community, and go against the grain, my blackness comes into question--also common by those who "care" about racism.

The LGBTQ community is no different. You're supported, as long as you support its narrative. Otherwise, they won't hesitate to eat their own. Of course, am sure plenty care genuinely, but am speaking about the pack mentality, which unfortunately affects a significant portion.

2 - Saying they do care in this setting, is akin to stating that caring only matters if you can manipulate things. I don't understand how caring about women's rights is helpful to anyone, if a person can only use these movements to pull the V card. This ironically enough, removes the voice from the minority within a minority group. In women, this is often immigrant women, who don't get to benefit from the advances that at times are under guise of equality.

3 - The issue, is in this world, most will have enough problems of their own to deal with. Most will not care about your problems, not because they're horrible, but covid-19 exposed it or what most know already. We all have some form of mental health issues, or issues we carry with us in life. Most adults mismanage these issues, and to have one group feel entitled to your caring about their plight above all other plights, will seem laughable to most.

I've had to learn to develop a thick skin. How do you expect to survive being more brittle than dried leaves?

4 - I'm a live and let live type. When you try to use political or media force to pressure people to speak in your terms, and care about your plight above any others, you're "forcing it down my throat". Same tactics that made BLM into a joke to most.

6 - This no longer is about rights. Its about supporting an unsubstantiated narrative. Or you're a bigot.

Just now, Perspektiv said:

1 - In the media? It only seems to be discussed, under guise of common narrative. 

2 - Saying they do care in this setting, is akin to stating that caring only matters if you can manipulate things. I don't understand how caring about women's rights is helpful to anyone, if a person can only use these movements to pull the V card. This ironically enough, removes the voice from the minority within a minority group. In women, this is often immigrant women, who don't get to benefit from the advances that at times are under guise of equality.

3 - The issue, is in this world, most will have enough problems of their own to deal with. Most will not care about your problems, not because they're horrible, but covid-19 exposed it or what most know already. We all have some form of mental health issues, or issues we carry with us in life. Most adults mismanage these issues, and to have one group feel entitled to your caring about their plight above all other plights, will seem laughable to most.

I've had to learn to develop a thick skin. How do you expect to survive being more brittle than dried leaves?

4 - I'm a live and let live type. When you try to use political or media force to pressure people to speak in your terms, and care about your plight above any others, you're "forcing it down my throat". Same tactics that made BLM into a joke to most.

1. I see.  Media dumbs down, homogenizes, refuses to challenge... to varying degrees.  That's a separate topic.

2. 3. I don't follow.  Changes in attitudes end up being reflected in policy, obviously.

4. Nobody can force you.  That's not happening.

5 hours ago, West said:

What interesting times where you can't even protest the grooming of  kids. 

the constitution only invokes a right to protest against the government

it doesn't extend to protesting the activities of private citizens

even if you think something unlawful was going on

you don't have a right to disrupt those activities on your own volition

in fact, "Drag Queen Story Hour" is what is protected

as that is constitutionally protected free speech

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Good luck with that, on a legal standpoint.

i think the city is within its legal mandate

these Drag Queen readings are private events

like any other performance, such as a concert,  or a play in a theatre

the city can legally regulate against disruption of such events under the municipal bylaws

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

however people still have the right to assemble peacefully and register their opinions.

this occurs quite often, but the city still has a mandate to regulate said assemblies

if you are standing on the sidewalk holding a placard, okay

but if you are actually trying to disrupt the event

then I would say the city is within its mandate to give you a ticket for it, under summary offence

• Like 2

on the issue of grooming

all parents are grooming their children to be something

if a parent is want to groom their child to be a Drag Queen ?

I can't see how that is unlawful in of itself

if the parent is forcing their child to be a Drag Queen against the will of the child

that falls under the mandate of the Children's Aid Society

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

these Drag Queen readings are private events

I have no issue with this. Don't like the event, don't attend. I'm in full support of this. If this could also translate to comedy, the world would be a better place.

If its held at a private event, and you physically go there to disrupt, then you're no longer legally liable for what you're saying--you're trespassing. This is criminal harassment.

This I have no issue with. But to jail or try to cancel people for opinions you don't like? I don't agree, regardless of what side you happen to be on.

31 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

if a parent is want to groom their child to be a Drag Queen ?

Groom your kids to do as you please. I only draw the line, if attending something like this becomes part of your school curriculum. If this is people choosing to attend on their own time, I truly don't see what the fuss is about, either.

Do it during school, then I can understand why many would be upset bout it. You're there to learn. I don't believe in teaching kids sexual orientation at a young age--you choose to do so, be my guest. I prefer letting them be kids, and them knowing I'd love and support them no matter what. Stop trying to identify yourself and obsess on what box that you fit in. You're a child!

I'd pull a stop to it, if it were my kids.

Just now, Perspektiv said:

Groom your kids to do as you please. I only draw the line, if attending something like this becomes part of your school curriculum. If this is people choosing to attend on their own time, I truly don't see what the fuss is about, either.

Do it during school, then I can understand why many would be upset bout it. You're there to learn. I don't believe in teaching kids sexual orientation at a young age--you choose to do so, be my guest. I prefer letting them be kids, and them knowing I'd love and support them no matter what. Stop trying to identify yourself and obsess on what box that you fit in. You're a child!

I'd pull a stop to it, if it were my kids.

in terms of what legislation governs the school curriculum and what rights parents have to decline ?

I don't honestly know

I don't have children, I don't deal with the public school system, so I've never actually looked into it

Just now, Dougie93 said:

in terms of what legislation governs the school curriculum and what rights parents have to decline ?

I don't honestly know

I don't have children, I don't deal with the public school system, so I've never actually looked into it

I may or may not have the right to decline, but have the right to remove kids from a school system that I feel will do more harm than good to them.

One of my siblings preferred a catholic school system, for that very reason.

4 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Good luck with that, on a legal standpoint.

Unless we change our charter of rights, it is my lawful right to conduct a lawful protest. 

I may not like someone protesting such a touchy subject matter, but they to me could file a lawsuit, if they were peacefully protesting.

I personally wouldn't take a child of mine to a drag show, not because am against the LGBTQ community, but because I don't want to drill any ideologies into their heads while they are kids. Just teach them to treat everyone with respect.

So much common sense in one place MAY cause the leftist who read it to reach critical density and collapse into an apoplectic black hole :)

I can't see how something like that would be remotely legal or enforceable.

further what people who disapprove of that kind of thinking have to realize is trying to repress it gives it strength.   "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still".

We'll see.

2 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

the constitution only invokes a right to protest against the government

it doesn't extend to protesting the activities of private citizens

even if you think something unlawful was going on

you don't have a right to disrupt those activities on your own volition

in fact, "Drag Queen Story Hour" is what is protected

as that is constitutionally protected free speech

So when the lunatics show up to protest someone like Jordan Peterson should they be met with a fine and jail time? 

Too many thin skinned folks these days

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, West said:

So when the lunatics show up to protest someone like Jordan Peterson should they be met with a fine and jail time?

if they attempt to disrupt the event, then I would say it would warrant a summary offence, issuing of a ticket

this is a bylaw we are talking about here, the city does have the mandate to facilitate private events therein

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

I may or may not have the right to decline, but have the right to remove kids from a school system that I feel will do more harm than good to them.

One of my siblings preferred a catholic school system, for that very reason.

once I would have agreed, that the Catholic school system was better

but I don't think that is the case anymore

some lad was thrown out of Catholic school in Renfrew, by the police,

accused of being a "terrorist" invoking "hate speech"

simply for saying that there should be separate boys & girls washrooms at the school

so this Narrative as you say, seems to be deeply entrenched in every institution in Canada now

2 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

the city can legally regulate against disruption of such events under the municipal bylaws

No, they can't stop people protesting if it is done legally.  Also city councils do not have the legal right to make criminals laws.  They know that I'm sure.   Even the federal government cannot make such a law because it would be contrary to the Charter of Rights. They are just creating propaganda.  Protesting a private gathering of drag queens grooming kids is a Constitutional right under Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Assembly.  Nobody can outlaw protesting if the protesters are standing on public property like the sidewalk or street and waving signs.  Protesters can't physically stop people from going into a library or meeting place.

Edited by blackbird

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

but this would not be an indictable offence

this is a bylaw, it's not a criminal charge

A bylaw cannot stop people from legally protesting something.  It would not be valid.  Everyone has the right to protest under the Charter of Rights, Freedom of Speech and freedom of assembly.