Jump to content

Are there real Canadians here?


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well thats actually considered the interior, the lower mainland would be more like hope/chilliwack out through greater vancouver and out to squamish.  But pretty close - the okanagan isn't much of a car ride from me.

 

No. No it does not.

We chronically go through cycles of over spending which is then followed by periods of underspending to correct.  The weird thing is we time it in such a way that the overspending tends to happen during GOOD times and the underspending then comes during bad times.  The other way around would at least make SOME sense - but for whatever reason if the economy is good we tend to elect tax and spend gov'ts and when the economy sucks and we SHOULD be borrowing we have to tighten our belts. 

That's democracy for ya :)

That's power in the hands of twits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Its stressful when you're sitting in the ER waiting room all freakin day just to get your broken leg looked at.

Thats the cost of free health care. The alternative is the 22 000$ surgery to fix it.

I was in Hong Kong, where locals can enjoy dirt cheap care in public hospitals which are partially subsidized, but you're dealing with the same levels of backlogs.

Believe me when I tell you I have been to the hospital plenty, and live in Canada.

But none had me more stressed than my uninsured aunt visiting me from New York City, slipping and falling heavily on her side. 

I knew it was bad when she was howling at just merely any pressure being put on her hip. 

Long story short, we took her to the ER. Our worst fears were realized. Badly broken hip.

All said and done, over 9, 000$ to fix, which her family refuses to help out with.

Sorry, but knowing I owed that money, is beyond any massive injury or emergency situation I have experienced where I was in sheer agony, and had to wait hours.

Only time I was rushed ahead of the pack, was when I had serious tonsillitis, and was struggling to breathe as my throat was swelling shut, so they had to rush me, to pump me full of steroids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Thats the cost of free health care. The alternative is the 22 000$ surgery to fix it.

I was in Hong Kong, where locals can enjoy dirt cheap care in public hospitals which are partially subsidized, but you're dealing with the same levels of backlogs.

Believe me when I tell you I have been to the hospital plenty, and live in Canada.

But none had me more stressed than my uninsured aunt visiting me from New York City, slipping and falling heavily on her side. 

I knew it was bad when she was howling at just merely any pressure being put on her hip. 

Long story short, we took her to the ER. Our worst fears were realized. Badly broken hip.

All said and done, over 9, 000$ to fix, which her family refuses to help out with.

Sorry, but knowing I owed that money, is beyond any massive injury or emergency situation I have experienced where I was in sheer agony, and had to wait hours.

Only time I was rushed ahead of the pack, was when I had serious tonsillitis, and was struggling to breathe as my throat was swelling shut, so they had to rush me, to pump me full of steroids.

Just make private insurance mandatory.

The cost of public healthcare is crappy healthcare?

Edited by Moonlight Graham
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Just make private insurance mandatory.

The cost of public healthcare is crappy healthcare?

Well not exactly. 

It's important to always divide healthcare into two parts - the provisioning and the funding.  In Canada currently we mostly have gov't funding AND provisioning of health care. Which means when you're sick you go to a gov't owned hospital with gov't paid nurses and they'll use gov't owned equipment and medicine to treat you.

In the states it's both private - you personally pay for a private hospital etc etc.

In many countries with "public' healthcare the gov't only pays for the care, it doesn't pay for all the provisioning. It may pay for some, but most countries allow for private provisioning of health care with private facilities providing the services which are paid for out of the public purse.

A gov't may not have 30 million kicking around to build a new hospital - BUT private individuals might get together and decide to build one and treat people and the gov't foots that bill.

The benefit is that private facilities tend to run cheaper and more efficiently AND most of all private dollars tend to be MUCH faster and better at moving services where they're needed.

We already have some of that.  But a lot of our issues might go away if we leaned into that a little more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, RedDog said:

I am home where I was born. I want Alberta saved. Others want to destroy it like the rest of the pretend country.

But this is a British Commonwealth country.  You said so yourself.

Norway isn't in the Commonwealth.  You should leave.

As far as your recent bus trip went, if there was someone from Nairobi on there as you intimate, you should probably be grateful they didn't insist you get off the bus.  Kenya is in the Commonwealth, after all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Yeah, I lived in Steveston for a few years.  Frankly, I didn't care how uncomfortable the Japanese and the Chinese felt.  I wasn't going anywhere until it suited me.

You can joke all you want but I have empathy for someone who was born and raised there and now looks around bewildered, wondering why no one speaks or looks or acts like them anymore and they can't even read the signs in the stores.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

You can joke all you want but I have empathy for someone who was born and raised there and now looks around bewildered, wondering why no one speaks or looks or acts like them anymore and they can't even read the signs in the stores.

Well, they were there before me.

But as to your general point, I grew up in Bradford, in the UK, in the sixties.  I know what it's like to see change. 

Empathy is one thing, but wanting immigration policy changed in order to feel more comfortable on a bus is another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, RedDog said:

Um, actually, this is a British Commonwealth Country. Duh.

the Commonwealth is nothing

the Commonwealth is not the British Empire

the Commonwealth is just a cultural organization

it is not political, it is not a state, it is not an alliance

the Commonwealth is 52 countries, 2.5 billion people

many members of the Commonwealth are republics not in even governed by the Crown

such as Bangladesh  Malaysia, Sri Lanka,  Nigeria & Singapore

many members of the Commonwealth are sworn enemies of each other

the two largest members of the Commonwealth being India & Pakistan

the alliance which binds America, Britain, Canada, Australia & New Zealand, is not the Commonwealth

the alliance is the United Kingdom United States Security Agreement ( UKUSSA )

forged in the fires of the Second World War

it is sometimes called the Anglosphere

or by the title of the associated intelligence pact called Five Eyes ( FVEY )

UKUSSA is Canada's ultimate alliance, above even NATO

UKUSSA in fact commands NATO as its proxy, through Washington

just fyi

Edited by Dougie93
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

the Commonwealth is nothing

the Commonwealth is not the British Empire

the Commonwealth is just a cultural organization

it is not political, it is not a state, it is not an alliance

the Commonwealth is 52 countries, 2.5 billion people

many members of the Commonwealth are republics not in even governed by the Crown

such as Bangladesh  Malaysia, Sri Lanka,  Nigeria & Singapore

many members of the Commonwealth are sworn enemies of each other

the two largest members of the Commonwealth being India & Pakistan

the alliance which binds America, Britain, Canada, Australia & New Zealand, is not the Commonwealth

the alliance is the United Kingdom United States Security Agreement ( UKUSSA )

it is sometimes called the Anglosphere

or by the title of the associated intelligence pact called Five Eyes ( FVEY )

j

What's your idea/wish for the perfect governance of/for Canada ?  You seem to be very disenchanted with this country.  What would make you happy ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Well, they were there before me.

But as to your general point, I grew up in Bradford, in the UK, in the sixties.  I know what it's like to see change. 

Empathy is one thing, but wanting immigration policy changed in order to feel more comfortable on a bus is another.

There are a lot of reasons to want immigration changed. Preserving the character, heritage, values and culture of an area is just one of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nefarious Banana said:

What's your idea/wish for the perfect governance of/for Canada ?  You seem to be very disenchanted with this country.  What would make you happy ?

it is not one country

Canada is the only Confederation of the British Empire

Confederation means what it says

Canada is several countries bound together in a federation

in essence, like the European Union of North America

or, the NATO against American republicanism

nothing binds me to be enchanted with all of Canada therein

I am still enchanted with aspects of the Confederation none the less

the aspect most enchanting to me now, simply being Quebec nationalism

because Quebec is the strongest nation within Confederation

so strong, that Quebec refused to sign the Canada Act 1982, and has the resolve to ignore it as they like

Quebec declines to join the Post National State, and defies that fake country to do something about it

that Quebec is  in fact still governed by the British North America Act 1867

with its own direct relationship with the monarch bypassing Ottawa

which makes Quebec the most British part of Canada

which it always was

since the British Empire was for all intents & purposes, taken as a war prize in battle

by General Wolfe upon the Plains of Abraham

at Quebec on 13 September 1759

that is the real Canada Day, my Canada Day

when we Orangemen won the Seven Years War

defeating the Marquis de Montcalm in his Citadel at Quebec

House of Hanover : Nec Aspera Terrent

Victoria Hanover : Mother Canada

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

  What would make you happy ?

simply for you to understand that your nation is not in Ottawa

that the Confederation is just the Confederation, which is entirely negotiable

the soul of your nation is across the sea

on Hill One Four Five at Pas de Calais

where Canada Bereaved broods over the fallen

upon Vimy Ridge

this is where we come from, the story of our people

many nations bound together, to win the Great War, in a Hundred Days

from Amiens to Mons

the birthplace of the 20th century

CanNational_Vimy_Mem-12-n698zjsnp1v4gsls

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

There are a lot of reasons to want immigration changed. Preserving the character, heritage, values and culture of an area is just one of them.

Not for me.  I can see wanting to prevent barbaric cultural practices from ever taking hold, but as someone who dispassionately watched a thousand years of character and heritage disappearing, I'm not going to lose any sleep over a couple of hundred years of the same.

I can see being upset at immigration policies that are there solely to benefit the party in power, as some seem to think is the case. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

simply for you to understand that your nation is not in Ottawa

I do not care about Ottawa.

the soul of your nation is across the sea

In the past, I'd be referred to as a 1/2 breed. Among friends it's still the term used. My soul is deep in the northern prairies.  It's my real and emotional home.  Nothing from across the sea is relative to my connection to my prairie home.  

where Canada Bereaved broods over the fallen

upon Vimy Ridge

this is where we come from, the story of our people

Not all of us . . . not 100%

many nations bound together, to win the Great War, in a Hundred Days

from Amiens to Mons

the birthplace of the 20th century

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nefarious Banana said:

You seem stuck in the past . . . .is this a healthy outlook? 

I was a Canadian infantryman, I am a decorated Canadian veteran

solemn oath taken beneath the colours in the face of God Himself

expendable downrange as necessary

mission before men

the regiment is my fatherland

I will live & die for the brothers to the left & right of me

the finest men I have ever known, closer to me than my own blood, only my wife comes before them

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Family unification is the killer. To many elderly coming over and taking up hosp beds. One interview I seen was a Asian guy who brought over is eldarly parents, so they can die with dignity. I get it, but its not right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Get over it.

to what ends ?

to be a person without a history ?

to be cosmopolitan Citoyen de Monde of the Post National State ?

why do you want me to be that ?

why don't you want me to be Canadian ?

why do you want me to forsake my ancestor who came here in 1757 ?

perhaps it is you who are disenchanted in the end ?

while I am simply embracing my warrior spirit

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,770
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    Akalupenn
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...