Don Martin: The Trudeau tipping point is within sight

18 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

can you expand on that, no mockery, will like to hear your view?!

conversely, the American National Firearms Act is reasonable and logical

because it doesn't ban breeds of guns

what it prohibits is : indiscriminate weapons

it's not that a belt fed machine gun is prohibited because it shoots fast and is scary

it's prohibited because it is an area weapon, you don't aim it, you use a machine gun like a fire hose

this is why hand grenades and nuclear weapons are also not 2nd amendment protected : indiscriminate

the key element in 2nd amendment protected weapons

is that you have to be able to aim them at a specific target and know what you are shooting at

Edited by Dougie93

27 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

actually, the right to self defence and the right against unreasonable seizure are already in the constitution

Section 7 & Section 8

the Canadian judiciary simply fails to uphold the constitution

Well that's not the problem at all is it.  The problem is what is considered 'reasonable' , and the charter says any removal of property is reasonable if it is first passed in law.

in other words it's 100 percent constitutional for them to pass a law that says 'everything dougie owns belongs to the gov't.  Or to me for that matter. Whatever they like as long as they make a law.

Perfectly in compliance with section 7 and 8.

as to self defense sure, the courts uphold that all the time. But the gov't forbids you to access to the tools for self defense under the "reasonable" premise that it's too dangerous to let common people have them. 

So sorry - but you've misidentified the problems and unfortunately it's entirely constitutional.

20 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

the arbitrary nature of gun seizure in Canada is blatantly unreasonable

Nope - as long as a law makes it through the house it's deemed to be reasonable by definition. The charter says any property may be taken by legal process.

I might think it's unreasonable, You might.  But the law does not.

Everything you said after that is true, but from a legal point of view irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

in other words it's 100 percent constitutional for them to pass a law that says 'everything dougie owns belongs to the gov't.  Or to me for that matter. Whatever they like as long as they make a law.

how is that a free country then ?

as that is what the Nazis did to the Jews

Just now, Dougie93 said:

how is that a free country then ?

we're free to elect a gov't that would change that.

We just don't.

Unfortunately freedom isn't just automatic in a democracy - the people have to make good choices. Elections matter. And unfortunately too many make bad decisions.

Just now, Dougie93 said:

as that is what the Nazis did to the Jews

Yep.

4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

on paper, Canada is simply not a free country

it is only the fear of violent insurrection which holds the government in check

Well that's all that holds ANY gov't in check.

But at the end of the day the voters are to blame. We are free - we just don't take our freedom seriously. And then someone else comes along and DOES take it seriously and we wind up where we are now.

Democracy hinges on the voters making good decisions. And not just in the elections.

16 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I don't think that's the case in America

because America invokes the ultimate right to violent insurrection

on paper, America is a free country, and that is what holds violent insurrection in check

That's kind of circular logic,

4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

it is the ideas on paper which keep Americans in check

Paper has never kept anyone anywhere in check ever.  Laws and agreements last right until the parties involved decide they don't. And ideas are not held equally by all people.

America is simply an idea, that is the only thing Americans defend & uphold

That is patently ridiculous. Ask the black community what their 'ideal' of the us is right now. Or the latinos. Ask someone in texas and then what someone in New York thinks america's all about and what's important.

Americans are not one big huge homogeneous single entity.  There may have been a time in the past where it was all mom and apple pie but those days are LONG behind us.

Canada is not an idea, Canada is simply a collection of bureaucratic rules

Canada is in exactly the same boat as the states and is no more or less a collection of rules than they are.  THe big difference is we'll tolerate more rules and abuses of our freedoms without taking action.  And i don't mean 'action' like a revolution - i mean even the simple act of voting out gov'ts that abuse our freedoms and voting in ones that don't. Picking leaders and candidates that will protect and improve our freedoms instead of trampling on them and throwing out those who won't.

So the only real difference is the people. If voters in Canada were as intolerant as the ones in america of gov't overreach we wouldn't have it.

6 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Paper has never kept anyone anywhere in check ever.  Laws and agreements last right until the parties involved decide they don't. And ideas are not held equally by all people.

That is patently ridiculous. Ask the black community what their 'ideal' of the us is right now. Or the latinos. Ask someone in texas and then what someone in New York thinks america's all about and what's important.

Americans are not one big huge homogeneous single entity.  There may have been a time in the past where it was all mom and apple pie but those days are LONG behind us.

Canada is in exactly the same boat as the states and is no more or less a collection of rules than they are.  THe big difference is we'll tolerate more rules and abuses of our freedoms without taking action.  And i don't mean 'action' like a revolution - i mean even the simple act of voting out gov'ts that abuse our freedoms and voting in ones that don't. Picking leaders and candidates that will protect and improve our freedoms instead of trampling on them and throwing out those who won't.

So the only real difference is the people. If voters in Canada were as intolerant as the ones in america of gov't overreach we wouldn't have it.

well perhaps Canadians have been Americanized now

Justin Trudeau is right about one thing, Canada is the Post National State

but I was born in the British Empire, the Canada prior to the Constitution Act of 1982

wherein the Liberals imposed the Post National State upon us

I am after all an Orangeman of Upper Canada, United Empire Loyalist

tho in fact, United Empire Loyalists of Upper Canada did not come from Britain

we came from Pennsylvania, fleeing George III's defeat in the War of Independence, led by Benedict Arnold

Benedict Arnold tho, he hated Canada

so did Isaac Brock

Canada was the hardship posting of the British Empire

tracing one warm line, across a land so wide & savage

a Scots German Empire, seeking a Northwest Passage to the sea

that was the idea of Canada, once

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

that was the idea of Canada, once

the main ideas of Canada were 'gee, it'd be great to sell some beaver pelts back home' followed eventually by ' gee it would be great if we had some where to grow some food and be nice to people.  Also - do you think someone would buy this tree if i cut it down.

but we have developed a bit of that european "the gov't will take care of important things for me so i don't have to think" mentality and we've made some bad choices there which have eroded our personal freedoms.

We can only hope that at some point we start to care about our freedoms and make better choices.

4 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

the main ideas of Canada were 'gee, it'd be great to sell some beaver pelts back home' followed eventually by ' gee it would be great if we had some where to grow some food and be nice to people.  Also - do you think someone would buy this tree if i cut it down.

but we have developed a bit of that european "the gov't will take care of important things for me so i don't have to think" mentality and we've made some bad choices there which have eroded our personal freedoms.

We can only hope that at some point we start to care about our freedoms and make better choices.

to me, born in the Empire,  it is still one Empire

British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealander

it's all the same thing to me

House of Windsor