Dilbert Gets Canceled

1 minute ago, RedDog said:

All lives matter is racist? You scare me.

Why are you injecting this comment about “All Lives Matter”?  

And if 23% of black people believe the comment is racist (I’m white, and I know it’s a racist comment), does that mean white people should stay away from black people?

7 minutes ago, RedDog said:

All lives matter is racist? You scare me.

I get that you’re playing games by taking a very well-known racist meme which pretends to be innocent but is not innocent and using it to “prove” racism. 

Let me give you an example: If you ask Jewish people whether they support the phrase “Work sets you free,” would they support it? No, definitely not. Is it because Jews are lazy, or because they know it is the slogan which appeared above the Nazis largest concentration camp?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rebound said:

Here’s the poll that set Adams’ head on fire:

”It’s ok to be white”

53% Agree

26% Disagree

21% Not Sure

Knowing that this is a white supremacist phrase, do you think black people would approve of it?

This should make all of us very untrusting of Rasmussen Reports from now on. They clearly used this poll to mislead people. If you look at Rasmussen’s Twitter post about the poll, they sure as heck didn’t mention that it’s a phrase commonly used by white supremacists. And of course they didn’t ask black people if they were aware that white supremacists used the phrase. The purpose of a survey is not to try to “prove” that people think differently from the way they actually think.

Here’s the thing: “It’s OK to be white” is a phrase invented by white supremacists: https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/its-okay-be-white

”The phrase “It’s Okay To Be White” is a slogan popularized in late 2017 as a trolling campaign by members of the controversial discussion forum 4chan. The original idea behind the campaign was to choose an ostensibly innocuous and inoffensive slogan, put that slogan on fliers bereft of any other words or imagery, then place the fliers in public locations.

White supremacists had themselves used the phrase in the past—including on fliers—long before the 4chan campaign originated.”

I have heard that phrase "it's ok to be white" before but I have never heard it's a white supremacist thing. If I heard anyone say  that I would not be offended in the least. It's ok to be black. It's ok to be white. It's ok to be Asian and so on. Who cares?

Apparently another question in that poll was something like, "can blacks be racist too?". Its worded in such a way that presumes all white people are already racist. That's pretty offensive.

9 minutes ago, RedDog said:

All lives matter.

Who disagrees with that?

On its own, no one.

When it is used to ignore the fact that some lives are treated as having more value than others, a lot of people do.

Try using, all lives matter, equally.

Edited by Aristides

2 hours ago, Legato said:

So what do cops say when they kill an unnamed white man?

Pointing out the discrepancy, in that more white people get killed by police in the US alone, is racist by today's views. Stats show this even in 2023.

Where's the outrage?

You must stick to the narrative.

Even though statistics don't point to racism. They point to incompetence.

The bulk of these shootings or killings were performed by problematic, multiple offense cops. By rookie cops who made fatal errors under duress. Not racism.

Add split second life and death situations, and the end result will not look good.

The bulk, wasn't someone innocently minding their business. The bulk were resisting arrest, or threatening an officer. 

Trying to assault an officer shouldn't get you killed, but why would you want to play Russian roulette with someone who has a gun?

Often left out, as it doesn't fit a narrative.

If you do the unthinkable, and point to the tens of thousands of black youth taken out by gun crime within their own communities (by their own hands), then you get canceled. 

I didn't want out of the hood because of the police. 

I was sick of people trying to rob me. Notice I left the race out. Has nothing to do with race.

The violence. The crab minded people trying to play victim, vs work their way out or see their way out of their life cycles of poverty and violence. For my troubles or "delusions" of success, I was told I was "trying to be white".

If you truly care about black lives, you would be quicker to denounce gang violence. Young men leaving young women to raise men in single parent households. You think police will push black youth to violence? Or being lost and angry due to a lack of role models?

Only reason I didn't become a black statistic, is that I had an incredibly strong and entrepreneurial single mother who refused to let her kids become one.

Cowardly men, who walk out on their kids, and force kids, to raise kids and perpetuate a cycle of violence and poverty, along with staggering drop out rates, regarding education, making many easy pickings for the fast cash allure of the streets. 

Nobody cares about any of this.

It has nothing to do with protecting black lives. 

The black community isn't a hate group, but anyone trying to push this narrative that the police must be abolished, that white people must feel shame for a past they are not responsible for, and being okay with robbing them because of this aren't trying to protect black life or communities.

If a white person apologized to me for slavery, I would question their mental state--not appreciate the gesture.

You aren't part of that past, if you don't  bring that level of hate forward. The lone point Dilbert's creator failed miserably on, ironically.

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

Pointing out the discrepancy, in that more white people get killed by police in the US alone, is racist by today's views. Stats show this even in 2023.

Where's the outrage?

You must stick to the narrative.

Even though statistics don't point to racism. They point to incompetence.

The bulk of these shootings or killings were performed by problematic, multiple offense cops. By rookie cops who made fatal errors under duress. Not racism.

Add split second life and death situations, and the end result will not look good.

The bulk, wasn't someone innocently minding their business. The bulk were resisting arrest, or threatening an officer. 

Trying to assault an officer shouldn't get you killed, but why would you want to play Russian roulette with someone who has a gun?

Often left out, as it doesn't fit a narrative.

If you do the unthinkable, and point to the tens of thousands of black youth taken out by gun crime within their own communities (by their own hands), then you get canceled. 

I didn't want out of the hood because of the police. 

I was sick of people trying to rob me. Notice I left the race out. Has nothing to do with race.

The violence. The crab minded people trying to play victim, vs work their way out or see their way out of their life cycles of poverty and violence. For my troubles or "delusions" of success, I was told I was "trying to be white".

If you truly care about black lives, you would be quicker to denounce gang violence. Young men leaving young women to raise men in single parent households. You think police will push black youth to violence? Or being lost and angry due to a lack of role models?

Only reason I didn't become a black statistic, is that I had an incredibly strong and entrepreneurial single mother who refused to let her kids become one.

Cowardly men, who walk out on their kids, and force kids, to raise kids and perpetuate a cycle of violence and poverty, along with staggering drop out rates, regarding education, making many easy pickings for the fast cash allure of the streets. 

Nobody cares about any of this.

It has nothing to do with protecting black lives. 

The black community isn't a hate group, but anyone trying to push this narrative that the police must be abolished, that white people must feel shame for a past they are not responsible for, and being okay with robbing them because of this aren't trying to protect black life or communities.

If a white person apologized to me for slavery, I would question their mental state--not appreciate the gesture.

You aren't part of that past, if you don't  bring that level of hate forward. The lone point Dilbert's creator failed miserably on, ironically.

But specifically who is “pushing this narrative that white people must feel shame”? 

Teaching history is just teaching what happened.  I think Americans should know how African Americans and Native Americans were treated. The only reason that should make a white person feel ashamed is if they harbored negative attitudes towards people of color… but they can change their attitude! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rebound said:

But specifically who is “pushing this narrative that white people must feel shame”?  

I don't understand this myself.  Part of me says that the people who say this must feel some shame that they can't deal with.  Or maybe their view of their nation is no longer unassailable which bothers them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I don't understand this myself.  Part of me says that the people who say this must feel some shame that they can't deal with.  Or maybe their view of their nation is no longer unassailable which bothers them.

They don't feel shame.  They think that someone else wants them to feel shame.

I can't imagine why anyone would feel shame about the actions of their ancestors.  Hell, people don't even have any responsibility to feel shame about the actions of their contemporaries.

Edited by bcsapper

2 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

That fact isn't racist, but it is typically deployed for racist(ish) purposes by those who are trying to deny the very real race problems in policing--or by those who aren't statistically literate. 

A smart, honest take on the stats is that while yes, numerically more whites are killed by police, Blacks are killed at a MUCH higher rate. This is true, study after study, year after year.

I think it's great that your mom's amazing nature kept you from becoming a Black statistic, but one should not NEED an amazing mom to have a decent shot in life. A totally average mom should be just fine to have an average shot.

Of all the ills that plague society, none of them are exclusive to Blacks. People of all races experience poverty, police violence, racism, drugs,discrimination, fractured families etc. But most of the ills of society disproportionately affect Blacks. You can pick just about any statistic and discover numerical evidence of systemic racism. Crime and punishment are among the most obvious. The simple fact of being Black is a disadvantage at every level of our justice system. Ceteris paribus, they are more likely to be stopped by police, more likely to be arrested, more likely to be charged, more  likely to be convicted and more likely to receive harsher sentences for the exact same crimes. 

1 hour ago, Rebound said:

From educators, to politicians, to activists and some on social media in positions of high influence, news etc. The list goes on, but there are multiple parties, behind this movement, which is incredibly divisive, and does no good.

Teaching history is just teaching what happened.

Nothing wrong with teaching history. Something wrong about teaching white guilt.

I think Americans should know how African Americans and Native Americans were treated.

Slavery is part of history. Colonialism. How it is taught is the issue, at times -- not it being taught. Objectivity is key, along with the ability to understand the actual history and era one is talking about.

The only reason that should make a white person feel ashamed is if they harbored negative attitudes towards people of color

Or, if they have their skin color diminished via white shaming.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I can't imagine why anyone would feel shame about the actions of their ancestors.

You shouldn't if its taught objectively.

43 minutes ago, Hodad said:

But most of the ills of society disproportionately affect Blacks

If I may, this does not necessarily prove racism. I say it's a myopic view that draws the wrong conclusion. The real problem is poverty, and a disproportionate number of blacks are poor. From there you have the gangs and crime and violence.

By saying it is poverty at the root cause, I include poor of any race, black white or otherwise. 

Crime is unlikely from well-educated and successful black doctors, teachers and financial advisors.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

If I may, this does not necessarily prove racism. I say it's a myopic view that draws the wrong conclusion. The real problem is poverty, and a disproportionate number of blacks are poor. From there you have the gangs and crime and violence.

By saying it is poverty at the root cause, I include poor of any race, black white or otherwise. 

Crime is unlikely from well-educated and successful black doctors, teachers and financial advisors.

Good thing I posted more than that line.

As I went on to say at some length, systemic racism shows up in just about any analysis you can find. And I'm not talking about raw numbers, but well controlled analyses of the highest quality. 

And it's not random or accidental. The end of slavery didn't bring freedom. The right to vote didn't bring full representation. The end of Jim Crow didn't mean equal treatment for all. It's all progress, but it's an unfinished project. Hundreds of years of oppression have left an indelible stain on every institution in the country. 

Poverty isn't the cause of systemic racism, but rather a symptom. Poverty is a tough cycle to break, and America forced an entire race into poverty and contrived every foot-dragging tactic imaginable to keep them there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hodad said:

Blacks are killed at a MUCH higher rate

This doesn't point to systemic racism. Statistics also show black families are many times likelier to be living in broken homes (than any other demographic), to grow up fatherless, to be in single guardian house, and be latchkey kids with nothing but horrible role models surrounding them (I.E Bad neighborhoods). This statistically will cause many of the issues that plague this community. High likelihood of high school drop outs, poverty, crime, and due to this, more encounters with the police.

You're essentially blaming guns for murders, vs dissecting why high gun ownership in some countries don't result in astronomically high murder rates, and the opposite for others.

40 minutes ago, Hodad said:

but one should not NEED an amazing mom to have a decent shot in life

You're going against impossible odds, without a support system in life.

42 minutes ago, Hodad said:

But most of the ills of society disproportionately affect Blacks.

Still doesn't point to systemic racism.

I grew up next to Cambodian refugees. They traveled with nothing. Barely spoke any English, and I nonetheless befriended their kids, and we became best friends. Odds were stacked against them. However, in their culture, family, marriage, and many other things are drilled into their heads. They take care of each other. They moved out of their plight, and made something out of themselves. Why is it, that the Asian community can often face the same plight, but socially are just as if not more successful than the white community? More educated, earning more salary, on average? Why is this? Racism? Hate crimes against them, have almost skyrocketed since Covid started.

My wife is Asian, and the insanely strong sense of community she was raised under, made her incredibly strong. How she was taught how life was hard, and taught to live dignified, humble and work hard and obtain an education. Does this sound familiar? There is a reason you see Asian families in the top echelons socially. If she was dumb enough to drop out, she would have likely been disowned. Taught money management. Sacrifice.

Its not a racial issue. Its a cultural issue. Doesn't mean there isn't racism, but to say race is what is holding one minority down, but not another, makes no sense.

To say that racism is why so many black people are struggling, is to ignore the other minorities.

Imagine. White cop shoots black unarmed teen, and the news blow up. Everyone needs to denounce this. Black teen shoots another over bubble gum, and its the way it is. Nobody is cooperating with the police, or has somehow seen a thing.

You're blaming sports cars for high speed crashes, with your line of thinking.

21 minutes ago, Hodad said:

Good thing I posted more than that line.

As I went on to say at some length, systemic racism shows up in just about any analysis you can find. And I'm not talking about raw numbers, but well controlled analyses of the highest quality. 

And it's not random or accidental. The end of slavery didn't bring freedom. The right to vote didn't bring full representation. The end of Jim Crow didn't mean equal treatment for all. It's all progress, but it's an unfinished project. Hundreds of years of oppression have left an indelible stain on every institution in the country. 

Poverty isn't the cause of systemic racism, but rather a symptom. Poverty is a tough cycle to break, and America forced an entire race into poverty and contrived every foot-dragging tactic imaginable to keep them there.

I think the fact that such a high percentage of blacks are poor brings a certain biased perception that leads to racism.

Canada has come a long way towards creating a more tolerant society, and should continue. But not every idea coming out these days is a good one. In some cases may create a backlash. All-black theatres, for example. 

Got to remember wherever racism is introduced as a theme, it raises the spectre of race among those who are not racist.

Constantly keeping race in our dialogue is an American thing.

10 hours ago, Hodad said:

Poverty is a tough cycle to break

Its impossible to break, when some prominent voices in your culture glorifies it, division, hate or going to jail.

We have culturally accepted it. This isn't the governments job to fix.

You are doomed to fail, if as a culture if you need the governments help to get out of a cycle. We aren't the only community that started with nothing but obstacles. 

I realized quite young, that no God, and no government help was ever going to come for me.

Reparations, or hand outs is how they keep you poor via dependency. You're going from crumb to crumb, with no room for growth.

Going out, and getting your own, on your own two feet is how you break the cycle. Sitting on your butt, complaining about slavery, and keeping yourself rage filled, is how you stay in the cycle. Yes. Slavery did happen. Yes, its disgusting, and it was abolished for a reason as a result. But you're not a slave, now.

Instead of wasting anger directing it at the past, use that anger as fuel to build your own future.

I and my siblings have broken the cycle. We have seen first hand, that crab like mindset that has our peers rob a store, and we as a community can't speak of it, enabling the behavior. My mother wanted none if it. She would power drill into our heads that poverty is simply our circumstance. It isn't who we are. I thought she was crazy, but she truly drilled into our heads how important that wealth was (of knowledge).

I was surrounded by people accepting what society had labeled them as. Violence everywhere. Garbage everywhere.  Urinating in elevators. They accepted it. Why is this unacceptable in other communities?

Find me a black leader teaching this to the youth. I had gang members looking up to me, as they believed me when I told them I was going to get out of the ghetto. Nobody bothered me, as a result.

I stood with a purpose. I just saw lost young men around me.

We don't want to give purpose to these people. We want them to think they are victims, vs survivors. Women aren't queens anymore. They are objects you discard.

I couldn't stand the way of thinking.

I was raised by a queen, how could I disrespect a woman?

The black community is full of hatred. Anger. Some of it is justified, some of it misdirected.

Dilbert's author fell flat because the source of his comments were ignorant, hateful and discriminatory. 

They sting, because they have some unfortunate truth to them.

• Like 1