Latest ABACUS poll: CPC 37, Libs 29, NDP 18

CdnFox

Some of the takeaways:

This is unchanged since the January poll

The libs are falling hard in quebec.

It's a close race in ontario but the CPC is still ahead.

Aside from the occasional blip right around an announcement the liberals are continuing to stay in pretty negative territory. The polling suggests that the CPC would win a strong minority. It's not unusual for the incumbent to take a bit of a dip in the middle of a term but it does look like there's a lot of fatigue for the liberal brand and more interesting the NDP are also down, and there's not likely a lot of votes to steal from them.

Obviously with 3 years to go (theoretically) anything can change but it's looking like the cpc will be in a strong position to take the next one. The question will be can they do a majority? PP will have to continue to build on his successes so far and break into the older voting block that so far hasn't been as strong for him

• Like 2

You've got it, great pic! And by the way that thing, "voting" isn't only a word, thoughtless staple. If you cared to think even for a minute what it could mean, things could have been very different. But no such luck with that species... oh well just the evolution's business.

• Haha 1

My dog can't tell the difference between political parties.  Everyone smarter than him can. :)

However, if you are one of those poor unfortunates who feel there's no difference between any of the parties, your solution isn't how you vote, it's what you do between votes.

Voting is the final (and in some ways least important) part of the democratic process. There's a LOT of work we're supposed to be dong as voters (or even non voters ) before that which is critical.

For example, get involved with your local riding association. Pick a good candidate to run for your riding and work with them to help set policy. You'd be amazed at how much influence a person can have at the riding level, and that can translate directly to your concerns being expressed in caucus.

Attend the Policy Conventions - parties do take policy conventions very seriously and you can propose policy to vote on for the convention, you can go and vote on policy that's been proposed, and have important discussions with others within the party to share ideas. They matter a lot.

Help pick a good leader. Not always the easiest thing to do but do your best and try to select someone who's going to be able to get the job done.

And be useful at election time - volunteer, scruitineer, help with GOTV duties. People remember the volunteers - they are who gets you elected.

If you're just sitting back and waiting to vote for whomever everyone ELSE has selected without any input from you, then you're really not doing  your job in a democracy, and you can't be surprised when you don't get the results you want.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

My dog can't tell the difference between political parties.  Everyone smarter than him can. :)

However, if you are one of those poor unfortunates who feel there's no difference between any of the parties, your solution isn't how you vote, it's what you do between votes.

Voting is the final (and in some ways least important) part of the democratic process. There's a LOT of work we're supposed to be dong as voters (or even non voters ) before that which is critical.

For example, get involved with your local riding association. Pick a good candidate to run for your riding and work with them to help set policy. You'd be amazed at how much influence a person can have at the riding level, and that can translate directly to your concerns being expressed in caucus.

Attend the Policy Conventions - parties do take policy conventions very seriously and you can propose policy to vote on for the convention, you can go and vote on policy that's been proposed, and have important discussions with others within the party to share ideas. They matter a lot.

Help pick a good leader. Not always the easiest thing to do but do your best and try to select someone who's going to be able to get the job done.

And be useful at election time - volunteer, scruitineer, help with GOTV duties. People remember the volunteers - they are who gets you elected.

If you're just sitting back and waiting to vote for whomever everyone ELSE has selected without any input from you, then you're really not doing  your job in a democracy, and you can't be surprised when you don't get the results you want.

You make it sound so easy, Just get involved...and you'll get the ear of the candidate, your ideas will make a difference, when in reality that is not as easy as you say it is. Candidates are rarely going to stop and listen to some volunteer helping out in the campaign, at best you'll get a head nod, and a thanks for coming out. 

People don't trust any politician now, it is regular practice to lie and cheat, and deceive the public on a regular basis, we have not had a real leader come forward in a long time that would do anything like you suggested. They are not interested in serving the nation, but rather staying in office for as long as possible. And perhaps the only way to get heard is to convince the people they need to stand up and do something.

With 29% still supporting Liberals and 18% supporting NDP, Canada is very messed up with a leftist mindset.  They want leftism which is what is destroying the west.  Too bad.  Canada is otherwise a beautiful country with its mountains, lakes, rives, creeks, forests, and vast wilderness areas.  Unfortunately, the problem is a lot of people have wrong-headed thinking.  These leftists expect government to solve all of their personal problems and provide everything for them.  Governments cannot provide a utopia.  The idea they can is a lie being pushed by the NDP and Liberals for votes.  Blame the rich, blame the greedy corporations, which by the way, provide all the good-paying jobs in resource industries.  We have to take responsibility for ourselves as much as possible and do something if needed.  Get educated, a skill, a good job, etc.  

Edited by blackbird

28 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

People don't trust any politician now, it is regular practice to lie and cheat, and deceive the public on a regular basis, we have not had a real leader come forward in a long time that would do anything like you suggested. 

Pierre Poilievre has the forethought to video himself answering hard and difficult questions by the handful of real journalist/interviewers . . . . archived for any potential voter, and PP held to account, and also to curtail the desperate federal Liberals from hi-jacking PP's policy as their own.

myata . . . . consider your right to vote.  

3 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

myata . . . . consider your right to vote.  

I consider the meaning of the word too. For me, "voting" means, primarily and first, the choice, free and unrestricted one. If someone somewhere limits the choice for me, I don't call it "free" can't in good conscience! Without free choice there's no free voting only happy b-s endless fairytale. Just make sure you understand it to this point. The rest is easy.

Well I am not surprised ruling Liberal falling behind so much. With persistent high inflation, housing crisis when even high incomer can't afford renting an average home and with rising interest rates making buying one out of reach for majority even top high incomers and essentials like food prices going through the ceiling. I am surprised they still get 29% of voters!!!.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

So the number of 17,209,000

Out of over 27 million of electors. When less than a half of the electors participate, and Canada isn't that far from the line now, what would be the effect on the democratic legitimacy? Or is it not needed anymore? Or, you will try to force them make it mandatory to dance for one of the heads, like a two year old who doesn't have a choice? See, no good options: that's called a dead end.

10 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

is better to be a dinosaur compared

For a dinosaur, sure. I'll go with the free choice though. To each, their own.

14 hours ago, West said:

China will rig the next election on behalf of Trudeau anyway 

Where is Elections Canada hiding?  I thought their job was to ensure fair elections.  Isn't that what they get the big bucks for?

"The commissioner of canada elections is responsible for regulating federal electoral events and enforcing compliance with the Canada Elections Act.["

Elections Canada - Wikipedia

Trudeau says Canadians had a fair election, but if China was working to help Liberals get elected and defeat Conservatives, why should we believe him?   The question is since he is the Liberal leader, why should he even comment on it?  Isn't that a conflict of interest?   Where is the Ethics Commissioner?

Should a probe on foreign election interference in Canada expand? Committee to decide - National | Globalnews.ca

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

You make it sound so easy, Just get involved...and you'll get the ear of the candidate, your ideas will make a difference, when in reality that is not as easy as you say it is. Candidates are rarely going to stop and listen to some volunteer helping out in the campaign, at best you'll get a head nod, and a thanks for coming out.

They almost always do. Sorry - that's the way it is. If you're active in their campaign, they listen. The vast vast majority of them do anyway and if they don't call them on it.

I've never had a problem getting to meet them and talk with them. Even ones i didn't campaign for were pretty easy.

People don't trust any politician now, it is regular practice to lie and cheat, and deceive the public on a regular basis, we have not had a real leader come forward in a long time that would do anything like you suggested.

That's just a bullshit excuse.  Hey - if you don't like the leader get off your ass and help recruit one you do like.  Fact is harper was a good leader, and that was less than a decade ago.  He DID listen and his people did too.

It is not ok to d make excuses if you don't like how things are.  Get off the couch and get involved and deal with it.  It takes work but it IS easy to make a difference.

They are not interested in serving the nation, but rather staying in office for as long as possible. And perhaps the only way to get heard is to convince the people they need to stand up and do something.

What do you think i'm trying to do with you? :)  Stand up and do something! Get involved!

And you've answered your own problem -  if they're not interested in saving the nation but only in staying in office then the simple solution is to make the only way for them to stay in office to save the nation. The challenge we run into there is that 50 percent of voters are below average :)  But we can work on that. 

If we start punishing corruption (ontario - hope you're listneing) and punishing failure to achieve goals without a damn good excuse and demand better then we'll get it. When we keep voting for people like trudeau and reward their lies, corrutpion and failures then we get..  you guessed it... lies corruption and failure.

3 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

much better to just vote

For a citizen it's a conscious, meaningful act not "just" some rubberstamp ritual. Elections are one of the cornerstones of democracy, how smart is to never have thought what you're electing, how, and why. That appears to be the the problem of Canada: it never understood not even tried to that democracy can be by the citizens, owned, managed and maintained clean and current, but never "for" them, as grace from above. What's the chance now? Doesn't look hopeful.

31 minutes ago, blackbird said:

If a person had the money to hire lawyers and investigators, they could probably challenge the election results in some ridings based on foreign interference.  Just the news coverage on that would be useful.

You would have to fight that on a riding by riding basis and prove that it is LIKELY that the interference changed the outcome - which is a fairly high legal bar to attain.

And the best you could hope for is that riding would have a byelection. But it's REALLY hard to get there.

What we would be better served with is recall options - they're ALMOST useless at actually recalling people but in cases like this they may well work and at least they're a shot across the bow to put them on notice people are watching.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blackbird said:

Where is Elections Canada hiding?  I thought their job was to ensure fair elections.  Isn't that what they get the big bucks for?

"The commissioner of canada elections is responsible for regulating federal electoral events and enforcing compliance with the Canada Elections Act.["

Elections Canada - Wikipedia

Trudeau says Canadians had a fair election, but if China was working to help Liberals get elected and defeat Conservatives, why should we believe him?   The question is since he is the Liberal leader, why should he even comment on it?  Isn't that a conflict of interest?   Where is the Ethics Commissioner?

Should a probe on foreign election interference in Canada expand? Committee to decide - National | Globalnews.ca

That's a good question. Probably as impartial as Rouleau

2 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Well I am not surprised ruling Liberal falling behind so much. With persistent high inflation, housing crisis when even high incomer can't afford renting an average home and with rising interest rates making buying one out of reach for majority even top high incomers and essentials like food prices going through the ceiling. I am surprised they still get 29% of voters!!!.

The Conservatives were ahead last 3 times too.... then came voting day.

Hopefully this time, they have their shit together and convince Canadians.

4 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

The Conservatives were ahead last 3 times too.... then came voting day.

the difference is in the spread.  The conservatives were 'ahead' but mostly in places like alberta. It does no good to win alberta by 100 percent - you have to have your support spread out a little more to win.

4 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Hopefully this time, they have their shit together and convince Canadians.

Convince ontario. That's what was missing.  And the news there is good right now, so yes hopefully they can.

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

They almost always do. Sorry - that's the way it is. If you're active in their campaign, they listen. The vast vast majority of them do anyway and if they don't call them on it.

I've never had a problem getting to meet them and talk with them. Even ones i didn't campaign for were pretty easy.

That's just a bullshit excuse.  Hey - if you don't like the leader get off your ass and help recruit one you do like.  Fact is harper was a good leader, and that was less than a decade ago.  He DID listen and his people did too.

It is not ok to d make excuses if you don't like how things are.  Get off the couch and get involved and deal with it.  It takes work but it IS easy to make a difference.

What do you think i'm trying to do with you? :)  Stand up and do something! Get involved!

And you've answered your own problem -  if they're not interested in saving the nation but only in staying in office then the simple solution is to make the only way for them to stay in office to save the nation. The challenge we run into there is that 50 percent of voters are below average :)  But we can work on that. 

If we start punishing corruption (ontario - hope you're listneing) and punishing failure to achieve goals without a damn good excuse and demand better then we'll get it. When we keep voting for people like trudeau and reward their lies, corrutpion and failures then we get..  you guessed it... lies corruption and failure.

That would depend on your access and who you know, , with 39 million Canadians what is the odds you get to work on someone's campaign that will make a change on the provincial or national level...

Thats not been my experience, very few people got to spend a few minutes talking to them, understandable they are busy earning votes, but to sit down a discuss policy i think is a one in a million chance.

Harper was a middle of the pack guy, he was socially awkward or atleast it seemed that way,  but thats not what we need for todays massive problems we need a great leader, and great leaders are very hard to come by. Some of the better leaders are not interested in the job that is another question we have to ask is why good leaders are not lining up to take the job. That is a huge portion of this exercise is not the guy on the street recruiting potential PM material, it is for some guy with great leadership abilities to stand up and shout over all the voices, and tell them I'm here follow me... and start the wave rolling. 

Sorry my stand up days are over, did that with the military, me and many others were left hanging by this nation, for the right leader i would might get involved. but it would have to be for some wild ride and concrete change. 

Some lofty ideas, saving the nation, by convincing politicians to work for the nation and not for themselves, most Canadians are working for themselves, and only interested in hand outs, and who can give them the most, regardless of what it costs or will effect the future tax payers. The rest vote conservative, Thats going to be one huge hill to climb...

Punishing corruption, when was the last time a politician was punished for corruption, it is so bad right now it is a joke, handing out contracts to friends and family, is normal practice and liberal voters are perfectly good with all of that, until those norms changes this country will continue to slide down hill. 

as for failing to meet goals or campaign promises, thats been the norm for decades, promise the moon, and once in the job, reality sets in and they find out it is not made of cheese buy worthless rock.