Jump to content

Why do Urban people vote Left, but Rural people vote Right?


August1991

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I wonder if it was just the right-wing co-opting conservative values. The French Revolution is also where the terms right-wing and left-wing were coined and they meant very different things than they do today. 

Yes and no. Back then, the left-wing included socialists, communists, and liberals. Today, the Left is anyone who is democratic and anti-capitalist, whereas liberals are democratic capitalists.

But when it comes to the Right, they never really stopped being anti-democracy. The conservative movement was about maintaining the classist hierarchy of the monarchy within the democratic framework. Conservatism was founded by people who saw democracy as restricting and were looking to basically have authoritarian hierarchy within democratic society. That's why it's so easy for a conservative to become a fascist. They see democracy as a roadblock. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Nope. They don't care about the anti immigraiton part. They vote for them for other reasons. So - more lies from you

Do you follow German politics at all? Parties like the Alternative für Deutschland talk about pretty much nothing but immigration and the Muslim "invasion." In the past few years they adopted the anti-trans insanity, but that's also fear-based.

Seriously, try to find some East Germans who vote for the AfD for reasons other than their anti-immigration stance.

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

You.

And most of the others to be fair :)

AOC does. And i previously pointed out several others. MANY on the left support and condone violence.  They give a cursory 'i'm not saying i condone violence BUUUUUTTTT then go on to condone violence.

Show me examples of AOC calling for violence.

The reason you can't name any mainstream leftists or liberals who call for violence is because they don't. They know that if they did, they would lose support. However, because the Right is full of violent psychopaths, Republicans like Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Greene can call for violence and still be two of the most popular Republicans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

Yes and no. Back then, the left-wing included socialists, communists, and liberals.

The French Revolution happened well over a hundred years before the first Communist emerged.

The right wing represented a small number of wealthy landowners and such and was seated to the right of the Monarch in the French Parliament, and the wing on the left is where everyone else, a much vaster number of people, were represented. I think it's clear the distribution of power was more important to the people that used these terms originally.  Of course the distribution of wealth was a factor in things but the focus on that didn't really gather steam until after.  

Quote

Today, the Left is anyone who is democratic and anti-capitalist, whereas liberals are democratic capitalists.

All of these terms are now simply epithets that mean the same thing, commie.

Quote

But when it comes to the Right, they never really stopped being anti-democracy. The conservative movement was about maintaining the classist hierarchy of the monarchy within the democratic framework. Conservatism was founded by people who saw democracy as restricting and were looking to basically have authoritarian hierarchy within democratic society. That's why it's so easy for a conservative to become a fascist. They see democracy as a roadblock.

You've underscored here how more focussed the right is on the distribution of power away from the left.  Wealth is secondary again as it was during the French Revolution.  I submit that the distribution of power is in fact the more important of the two and that really robust institutions of accountability should be the basis for the conduit along which it's distributed. By robust I mean effectively aiming Orwell's Telescreens the other way.

Yes, when I say robust I mean ROBUST. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

Do you follow German politics at all? Parties like the Alternative für Deutschland talk about pretty much nothing but immigration and the Muslim "invasion." In the past few years they adopted the anti-trans insanity, but that's also fear-based.

I'm sure that's true in your mind - you have a habit of editing out what you don't like to hear.

39 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

Seriously, try to find some East Germans who vote for the AfD for reasons other than their anti-immigration stance.

Most do. Problem solved.

39 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

Show me examples of AOC calling for violence.

Well there are many - how about the time when she was asked about the violence and destruction from the riots in the states where 4 billion dollars of damage were done  and she replied that this was proper, that protests are SUPPOSED to make people uncomfortable and scared like that.

That chick would happily take a flame thrower to people who disagreed with her if she could get away with it.

39 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

The reason you can't name any mainstream leftists or liberals who call for violence is because they don't.

I did name some. So - i take it you're just lying to try to make yourself feel better that you're wrong.

As i noted MANY if not MOST dems especially farther to the right call for violence and support violent protest. The left wing is very very violent and hate filled.

But - as noted the left LOVES to accuse others of what they do themsevles as some sort of weird cover. it's like a defense mechanism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, eyeball said:

The French Revolution happened well over a hundred years before the first Communist emerged.

Communism was a thing since Ancient Greece. Karl Marx just popularized communism on a global level.

24 minutes ago, eyeball said:

The right wing represented a small number of wealthy landowners and such and was seated to the right of the Monarch in the French Parliament, and the wing on the left is where everyone else, a much vaster number of people, were represented. I think it's clear the distribution of power was more important to the people that used these terms originally.  Of course the distribution of wealth was a factor in things but the focus on that didn't really gather steam until after.  

Yeah, because by that point, society had capitalism. Under feudalism, wealth didn't mean as much to the aristocracy because their place at the top was set in stone. When society transitioned into a capitalist democracy, the Right needed a new way to maintain the hierarchy. This is why liberals are so much more willing to use elements of socialism. To liberals, capitalism is the best system for society. To conservatives, capitalism is just a means to maintain hierarchy until they're able to eliminate democracy. So it's still absolutely about power.

24 minutes ago, eyeball said:

All of these terms are now simply epithets that mean the same thing, commie.

?

If only the Democrats really were far-left radical socialists, like the Republicans keep telling us.

24 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You've underscored here how more focussed the right is on the distribution of power away from the left.  Wealth is secondary again as it was during the French Revolution.  I submit that the distribution of power is in fact the more important of the two and that really robust institutions of accountability should be the basis for the conduit along which it's distributed. By robust I mean effectively aiming Orwell's Telescreens the other way.

Yes, when I say robust I mean ROBUST. 

I agree, but we also have to accept that this just isn't going to happen until wealth is more evenly distributed throughout society. The upper-class is above the law because they control which laws are enforced against which people. The more evenly wealth is distributed, the more power the average person has to hold the people in power accountable for corruption.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CdnFox said:

No, it refutes your point. Those people have no knowledge of or interaction with the newcomers so they have no fear of  them.

Whats driving the far right is the same as what did in Germany in the 20's - people like you spewing hatred and pursuing a facist agenda based on your bigotry. It forces otherwise rational people to feel they have to choose a side.  Obviously they're not going to choose yours - you literally hate them. So it pushes them into the arms of the far right.

Left wing hatred spawns right wing hatred in response. Always has.

If I can tell you frankly, this proves to me that you have never had anything to do with certain jobs where you have to get dirty and get back pain. I'll explain better with a real case, taken from reality: mine.

I have worked for many years as a spearhead of the advanced tertiary sector, if you want, I could be one of those tens of thousands of technicians that the High Tech industries, these days, are throwing on the street, by handfuls of tens of thousands of people. Profits have contracted, it's life my dear, a big kick in the butt, and amen ... The sector in which I had specialized for many years was still alive, and there was still a market, but I should have go to work all week in the metropolitan area of Milan, or in the Italian bureaucratic apparatus, in the Rome area. With very small children, that I wanted to enjoy and I wanted to grow up, I opted to do something else, which would allow me to stay where I was. I had applied for unemployment benefit but, at least here in Italy, if you manage to find a seasonal job, the state suspends the benefit for the three or four months you work, and then resumes paying you. Since I didn't grow up in a neighborhood where you only eat slices, and since I had worked as a waiter in the summer as a student, I tried to do a season (after a 30-year hiatus in which I did something else). The place where I worked was managed by a slave trader, who kept half the staff of the same hotel next door to us, despite having the same capacity in terms of hospitality, i.e. the same number of rooms and capacity. In practice, I worked from 13.5 hours a day, even 15 hours a day in special cases, or on weekends when a group left and one arrived. I was supposed to be doing 40 hours a week, actually I was doing double that, plus another 5 hours of overtime.


Hotel-Transylvania-Poster.jpg


When I got to that place, the first person I spoke to was the cook. She was a middle-aged Italian lady who told me:

- Do you know where you came to work Holubice...? I'll just tell you this, there is a total staff of 13 here. Before you arrived, I was the only Italian who worked here. Last year, out of 13 staff members, there wasn't even one Italian. Get ready. You are treated too well. Your colleagues take less than you, and often almost all off the books. And if they try to annoy you, the slaver picks up the phone, calls a cousin or nephew of someone who already works here, and who now lives in a small village in Romania or Bulgaria, and in 24 hours you you are driven from here, and replaced by a fresh new horse, and another cog not yet broken by toil ... -

The year I worked there was the one in which the famous Brexit referendum passed. The slave hotelier, when he saw that news on the television in the lobby, went all white, as if he had lost 10 liters of blood in one fell swoop. It was all that blood that he, he understood, could no longer continue to suck with impunity ... Ah, my hourly wage was 3.10 euros net per hour . As I told you, only 2 regulars, the others, from under the table, in the black economy. The one in which the Italian (Bananiferous) Republic has always specialized.

I think that if you kept working for 3 months too, always in that place, you would either fall to the ground, stone dead, dead (as happened to a colleague of mine...) or, if you survive, you will become a turbo Nazi...

Kiss, kiss ...

PS
When you get the awake, which means in my language, how much will you have time to do it, please read yourself what good Karl Marx meant by ...


MArx.jpg


The Reserve Army of the Capitalist




icon_exclaim.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Americana Antifa said:

Communism was a thing since Ancient Greece.

Tell me you have no idea what communism is without telling me.

If you mean in the general sense that people work hard and share what they have sure  it has - that's what a family is. Bur even the greeks knew it absolutely didn't work on any scale larger than that.

5 hours ago, Americana Antifa said:

agree, but we also have to accept that this just isn't going to happen until wealth is more evenly distributed throughout society.

Wealth cannot be distributed.  Wealth is not a material you can collect and hand out. There's no such thing as 'wealthonium'.

Wealth is a result of economic activity. Owning land isn't wealth - growing food on the land and selling it to someone else is wealth. Creating something of value that you can use or trade is wealth.

The whole commnist socalist thing was that only the elites had any means of creating that activity.  But - those days are LONG gone.

Anyone at all can be rich. Most rich people come from poor or middle class families. Anyone can earn a good living and be middle class.

So the ability to create wealth has ALREADY BEEN distributed more evenly. There's nothing left to do there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Tell me you have no idea what communism is without telling me.

If you mean in the general sense that people work hard and share what they have sure  it has - that's what a family is. Bur even the greeks knew it absolutely didn't work on any scale larger than that.

So I know you've never read a book that wasn't mostly picture, but there actually were Ancient Greeks that wanted what we would later call communism. You could argue that what constituted "large-scale" back then was different since they didn't know nearly how big the world was. But there were people who wanted an anarchist society where the means of production would be shared by everyone in the community.

Now I'm not a communist, so the fact that communism is an ancient idea doesn't mean anything to my politics. However, you believe in the nazi theory of "cultural marxism." So you have to believe that the "globalists" created communism in the 19th century to destroy Europe.

9 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Wealth cannot be distributed.  Wealth is not a material you can collect and hand out. There's no such thing as 'wealthonium'. Wealth is a result of economic activity.

I know, right? What are we supposed to do, just like, give people money and call it universal basic income?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, CdnFox said:

I'm sure that's true in your mind - you have a habit of editing out what you don't like to hear.

Now you're just being bad faith because you know you're wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_for_Germany

"Alternative for Germany (German: Alternative für Deutschland, AfD; German pronunciation: [aːʔɛfˈdeː] (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.pnglisten)) is a right-wing populist[2] political party in Germany.[3] AfD is known for its Euroskepticism,[4] it also opposes immigration to Germany.[5] The AfD's ideology is positioned on the radical right, a subset of the far-right, within the family of European political parties.[6]"

The AfD markets itself as being all about keeping out immigrants, specifically Muslims. 

15 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well there are many - how about the time when she was asked about the violence and destruction from the riots in the states where 4 billion dollars of damage were done  and she replied that this was proper, that protests are SUPPOSED to make people uncomfortable and scared like that.

Source?

15 hours ago, CdnFox said:

I did name some. So - i take it you're just lying to try to make yourself feel better that you're wrong.

You only named AOC, but have yet to provide evidence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

So I know you've never read a book that wasn't mostly picture, but there actually were Ancient Greeks that wanted what we would later call communism.

Have you even read marx?  the circumstances weren't there for what he wrote about in ancient greece.  Next time you run into a good book try not eating it.

39 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

Now I'm not a communist,

Good thing seeing as you don't even know what one is. But - we already knew that. You're a fascist. That's different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

Now you're just being bad faith because you know you're wrong.

I'm quite correct.  And lets take a look at the garbled nightmare you present as your 'evidence'...

24 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_for_Germany

"Alternative for Germany (German: Alternative für Deutschland, AfD; German pronunciation: [aːʔɛfˈdeː] (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.pnglisten)) is a right-wing populist[2] political party in Germany.[3] AfD is known for its Euroskepticism,[4] it also opposes immigration to Germany.[5] The AfD's ideology is positioned on the radical right, a subset of the far-right, within the family of European political parties.[6]"

The AfD markets itself as being all about keeping out immigrants, specifically Muslims. 

So it's known for more than one thing.  AND -nothing in there suggests that anyone never mind rural people vote for them at all based on  immigtation.

So - basically you're just lying at this point. This is a very popular cheap debate trick with the left, just a bit of bait and switch non sequitur logic. You make the claim that rural people vote for this party because of immigraiton, then go on to prove something entirely different and claim victory.  My my - with skills like that you must just dominate elementary school playgrounds.

24 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

 

You only named AOC, but have yet to provide evidence.

In fact i also mentioned pelosi by name but - as per usual you prefer to lie rather than be truthful.

Typical - if the facts and evidence don't support you then just ignore them right? It's the left's mantra.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2023 at 8:01 PM, CdnFox said:

Have you even read marx?  the circumstances weren't there for what he wrote about in ancient greece.  Next time you run into a good book try not eating it.

That's nice, but it's beside the point. The point is that Marx and Engels didn't invent communism or socialism. They're both ancient ideas.

On 3/25/2023 at 8:01 PM, CdnFox said:

Good thing seeing as you don't even know what one is. 

That's some hardcore projection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2023 at 8:06 PM, CdnFox said:

I'm quite correct.  And lets take a look at the garbled nightmare you present as your 'evidence'...

So it's known for more than one thing.  AND -nothing in there suggests that anyone never mind rural people vote for them at all based on  immigtation.

You're being bad faith because you're a coward again. The AfD is known for being anti-immigration and anti-muslim. That's what their politicians and propaganists spend most of their public time talking about. And the other issues they do pretend to care about are all fear-based too. Stop reminding me that you're a puss, I get it already.

On 3/25/2023 at 8:06 PM, CdnFox said:

In fact i also mentioned pelosi by name but - as per usual you prefer to lie rather than be truthful.

Typical - if the facts and evidence don't support you then just ignore them right? It's the left's mantra.

Give me examples of Pelosi calling someone a bad person for not agreeing with her.

And enough with the crying. I know you're big mad, but you can whine on your own time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Americana Antifa said:

You're being bad faith because you're a coward again.

Oh NOES!  Holly Hobbie's all pissed off and foaming again!!! She called me names, whatever will i do!! :P  ROFLMAO

You lie and live your life in hatred. I have no fear of your kind little girl.

10 hours ago, Americana Antifa said:

The AfD is known for being anti-immigration and anti-muslim.

Sez you. But as we've seen they're known for a lot more than that. So - you have no evidence that this is why people in the country vote for them. In fact you haven't offered any proof they do. Sooooo the fact your'e claiming thats the only reason they would vote for them is clearly a lie. You don't know why they vote for them. Hell, a lot of people interviewd said they voted for trump for no other reason than to throw a wrench into the system because they were fed up with the status quo. They didn't even care about his policies - how do  you know it's not the same here?

If you have to lie to make your point, you don't have a very good point.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Americana Antifa said:

That's nice, but it's beside the point. The point is that Marx and Engels didn't invent communism or socialism. They're both ancient ideas.

It's literally the point. Yes - they did invent communism. It's a very specific and detailed doctorine that addresses specific socio-economic issues that were unique to the time.

Communism did not exist before them. As i said.

And as i said if you mean some form of collectivism or communal living then sure - but that's not communism at all. It's not even close other than in a very very general sense

And it doesn't scale. Every society abandoned that when they grew beyond a small size.

Sooooo - nope. Communism is not thousands of years old.

 

10 hours ago, Americana Antifa said:

That's some hardcore projection.

Man - that's really your only defense when you know you're wrong isn't it. You hug it like a baby holding on to their security blanket

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will say that there is something about the mostly irrational fear of being attacked that is exclusive to Conservatives. I met a gentleman once who lived in Bruneau, Idaho who claimed to own 400 guns. When i asked why he had so many.. he said, "self defense". I asked "defense against what". He replied, "my house being broken into and them criminals taking what I have worked hard for"

So, to give you some context.. Bruneau is a very small and remote town. You do not get to this place by accident. 60 miles from Boise (the nearest major city) and 30 miles from Mountain Home (mostly suburban town of 8000). After that... its 3 hours at minimum to the next town of any size. Second, Bruneau is poor. The few homes are modest to say the least. So a criminal is going to drive 60 miles out into the desert to rob a home that looks like a collection of dilapidated wood and rusty vehicles.. Extremely unlikely. 

Edited by impartialobserver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

I will say that there is something about the mostly irrational fear of being attacked that is exclusive to Conservatives. I met a gentleman once who lived in Bruneau, Idaho who claimed to own 400 guns. When i asked why he had so many.. he said, "self defense". I asked "defense against what". He replied, "my house being broken into and them criminals taking what I have worked hard for"

Sorry - but this story rings false. I know a LOT of gun owners on both sides of the border.  People own guns for defense quite often but if you're telling me he has 400 guns and his only reason is 'self defense ' then either you or him are lying. And it seems less likely it's him.  I'm sure that he would use his guns in self defense but your pretense that he's soooo paranoid that he has to have 400 guns just for that -  yeah that's bullshit.

 

Quote

So, to give you some context.. Bruneau is a very small and remote town. You do not get to this place by accident. 60 miles from Boise (the nearest major city) and 30 miles from Mountain Home (mostly suburban town of 8000). After that... its 3 hours at minimum to the next town of any size. Second, Bruneau is poor. The few homes are modest to say the least. So a criminal is going to drive 60 miles out into the desert to rob a home that looks like a collection of dilapidated wood and rusty vehicles.. Extremely unlikely. 

Ahem.

https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-in-bruneau-id/

Bruneau is a high crime area. A LARGE amount of violent crime and a pretty serious amount of property crime. And some property crimes are considered violent like home invasions so they're in that stat.

Sooo - Looks like you were wrong and he was right to worry about that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

It's literally the point. Yes - they did invent communism. It's a very specific and detailed doctorine that addresses specific socio-economic issues that were unique to the time.

Communism did not exist before them. As i said.

And as i said if you mean some form of collectivism or communal living then sure - but that's not communism at all. It's not even close other than in a very very general sense

How exactly are you defining communism then?

The way it's always been defined is as a stateless and classless society where everyone shares the means of production.

You can make the argument that Marx was the first one to lay out plans for bringing about communism on a global scale, but he didn't invent the concept of communism as I just defined it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Sorry - but this story rings false. I know a LOT of gun owners on both sides of the border.  People own guns for defense quite often but if you're telling me he has 400 guns and his only reason is 'self defense ' then either you or him are lying. And it seems less likely it's him.  I'm sure that he would use his guns in self defense but your pretense that he's soooo paranoid that he has to have 400 guns just for that -  yeah that's bullshit.

 

Ahem.

https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-in-bruneau-id/

Bruneau is a high crime area. A LARGE amount of violent crime and a pretty serious amount of property crime. And some property crimes are considered violent like home invasions so they're in that stat.

Sooo - Looks like you were wrong and he was right to worry about that.

 

Hmmm.. and the population is about 100. One crime in a given year is going to appear major. If you do not understand the difference in crime stats between a place of population 100 and that of population 600K (just an example) then you are clueless. 

 

Your source has some issues. There are no neighborhoods in Bruneau. There is only 3 block section that has any housing of any kind. There is no east/west part of town.. 

Edited by impartialobserver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

How exactly are you defining communism then?

I like the dictionary definitions. I don't just change definitions to suit my purposes as you do.

53 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

The way it's always been defined is as a stateless and classless society where everyone shares the means of production.

Well of course that's untrue. Lets take a look.

  1. A theoretical economic system characterized by the collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for the common advantage of all members.
  2. A system of government in which the state plans and controls the economy and a single, often authoritarian party holds power, claiming to make progress toward a higher social order in which all goods are equally shared by the people.
  3. The Marxist-Leninist doctrine advocating revolution to overthrow the capitalist system and establish a dictatorship of the proletariat that will eventually evolve into a perfectly egalitarian and communal society.

Nope - yours isn't in there.

 

53 minutes ago, Americana Antifa said:

You can make the argument that Marx was the first one to lay out plans for bringing about communism on a global scale, but he didn't invent the concept of communism as I just defined it.

He invented communism. Or certainly his communism. What he described was like nothing that happened before at all.

All you did was widen the definitions beyond even the most generous of the dictionary definitions to try to squeeze in the idea of communism and then try to attribute that to being pretty much the same as marx's ideas.  Which is a lie.

And what i said before about the scalability of just 'sharing' things remains true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

another issue that I find where the urban and the rural differ is income. The urbanite is most likely a wage earner and therefore a certain predictability to that. Work x hours per week and get paid y dollars at given times. In the rural settings where one farms or ranches.. the income is not so regimented. Therefore one's view of taxation differs. Paying it every two weeks in relatively small chunks versus paying it once a year or so .... changes one's perspective. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

I like the dictionary definitions. I don't just change definitions to suit my purposes as you do.

You caught me. I went back in time and changed the definition of communism.

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well of course that's untrue. Lets take a look.

  1. A theoretical economic system characterized by the collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for the common advantage of all members.
  2. A system of government in which the state plans and controls the economy and a single, often authoritarian party holds power, claiming to make progress toward a higher social order in which all goods are equally shared by the people.
  3. The Marxist-Leninist doctrine advocating revolution to overthrow the capitalist system and establish a dictatorship of the proletariat that will eventually evolve into a perfectly egalitarian and communal society.

Nope - yours isn't in there.

The first one is pretty much what I said.

The next two are just the way the term is largely used today because of righty propaganda. Communists themselves use the original definition.

Also, even if we are to say there are different kinds of communism, I was still right. The first definition refers to the kind of communism in Ancient Greek philosophy. So I accept your apology.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

I will say that there is something about the mostly irrational fear of being attacked that is exclusive to Conservatives. I met a gentleman once who lived in Bruneau, Idaho who claimed to own 400 guns. When i asked why he had so many.. he said, "self defense". I asked "defense against what". He replied, "my house being broken into and them criminals taking what I have worked hard for"

So, to give you some context.. Bruneau is a very small and remote town. You do not get to this place by accident. 60 miles from Boise (the nearest major city) and 30 miles from Mountain Home (mostly suburban town of 8000). After that... its 3 hours at minimum to the next town of any size. Second, Bruneau is poor. The few homes are modest to say the least. So a criminal is going to drive 60 miles out into the desert to rob a home that looks like a collection of dilapidated wood and rusty vehicles.. Extremely unlikely. 

They might drive out there now in hopes of scoring 400 guns in one swoop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, eyeball said:

They might drive out there now in hopes of scoring 400 guns in one swoop.

Except that the criminal who wants the 400 guns has an extremely low probability of knowing that they exist and where to find them. I encountered this guy through an odd chain of events (internet forum followed up by one-off community meeting). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

Hmmm.. and the population is about 100. One crime in a given year is going to appear major.

It also means he has a 1 in 100 chance of being the victim of a crime.  But - the stats there say that its closer to a major crime per month. So if there's about 100 people as you suggest that means he has more than a 1 in 10 chance of being the victim of a serious crime.

21 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

 

If you do not understand the difference in crime stats between a place of population 100 and that of population 600K (just an example) then you are clueless. 

Ohhhh so the crime rate is just my clueless imagination!!!!  Riiiight.

21 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

Your source has some issues. There are no neighborhoods in Bruneau. There is only 3 block section that has any housing of any kind. There is no east/west part of town..

if there are two houses there's an 'east west' .

You are totally busted here. You made a number of statements that are clearly false and IF you've ever been to that town and IF you ever talked to this person and IF he ever suggested that he's concerned about possible crime, THEN HE WAS RIGHT TO BE CONCERNED.

If you have to lie to make your point, you don't have a very good point kiddo.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,744
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    Mark Partiwaka
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

    • phoenyx75 earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • phoenyx75 earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • phoenyx75 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Venandi went up a rank
      Collaborator
    • phoenyx75 went up a rank
      Rookie
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...