Why do Urban people vote Left, but Rural people vote Right?

August1991

18 hours ago, Americana Antifa said:

You caught me. I went back in time and changed the definition of communism.

Oh i think you change it on the fly to suit your needs just fine.

The first one is pretty much what I said.

Isn't even close. But sure - all you need to do is change what you meant before. However you'll be wrong again - which greek city state had the state and not people own the land? Which place was that that you're referring to? I promise not to laugh until you actually answer. :)

The next two are just the way the term is largely used today because of righty propaganda. Communists themselves use the original definition.

so - the only reason for those definitions are because those are what people mean when they use those words.

Just out of curiosity - what did you think 'definition' meant?

Also, even if we are to say there are different kinds of communism, I was still right.

You were wrong according to the accepted definitions.

If you mean that communism means whatever you mean it to mean whenever you feel like and doesn't really have a sdefiniton, THEN you're right.  I accept your stupidity.

6 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Except that the criminal who wants the 400 guns has an extremely low probability of knowing that they exist and where to find them. I encountered this guy through an odd chain of events (internet forum followed up by one-off community meeting). 

Also - assuming they did who the hell would go try to rob a guy who (according to you) has 400 guns for the express purpose of shooting a guy who tries to steal from him :)

BTW - this town of 100 people - did it have a dedicated police station with staff 24 hours a day locally? Or did police have to come from somewhere else?

I"m just wondering because if I lived in a place with that high a crime rate and there were no police around and the cops would have to travel a fair distance if i called 911 - that would be a pretty damn good rational reason to be concerned about a bad guy showing up.

10 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Also - assuming they did who the hell would go try to rob a guy who (according to you) has 400 guns for the express purpose of shooting a guy who tries to steal from him :)

BTW - this town of 100 people - did it have a dedicated police station with staff 24 hours a day locally? Or did police have to come from somewhere else?

I"m just wondering because if I lived in a place with that high a crime rate and there were no police around and the cops would have to travel a fair distance if i called 911 - that would be a pretty damn good rational reason to be concerned about a bad guy showing up.

He is the one who claimed to have the 400 guns. I never went to his house to verify this. He said that he lived in Bruneau and because he knew of certain landmarks in the area.. I came to the conclusion that he probably did live there. 

Bruneau does not have a dedicated police station or any public servants of any kind. It would be under the jurisdiction of Owyhee County and so quite the distance for a cop to travel.  If it was on a major thoroughfare, you may have a small point. However, it is not near a major highway nor is there any signage pointing you to it. You have to know where you are going in order to find this place. If you travel on Interstate 84 in Idaho.. the word, "Bruneau" does not appear even once. Oh... but a criminal from Boise is going to drive 60 miles one way to a place that they very likely does not even know exists... I think not. 

24 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

He is the one who claimed to have the 400 guns. I never went to his house to verify this. He said that he lived in Bruneau and because he knew of certain landmarks in the area.. I came to the conclusion that he probably did live there. 

Oh i don't think HE is making stuff up.  But your account doesn't ring true. And that area IS a high crime rate, not a low one as you suggested.

24 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Bruneau does not have a dedicated police station or any public servants of any kind. It would be under the jurisdiction of Owyhee County and so quite the distance for a cop to travel. 

So if he is confronted by bad guys stealing his stuff or threatening him in robbery, he can't call the police for help.

Kid - if bad guys show up even you might wish you had a gun if you can't call 911.

27 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

If it was on a major thoroughfare, you may have a small point. However, it is not near a major highway nor is there any signage pointing you to it. You have to know where you are going in order to find this place.

Sounds like EXACTLY the kind of place bad guys would look for. Sleepy little town, out of the way, no police, neighbours are far apart so they can't see what  you're doing ..... it's pretty ideal.

And the crime rate does suggest i'm right.

27 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

If you travel on Interstate 84 in Idaho.. the word, "Bruneau" does not appear even once. Oh... but a criminal from Boise is going to drive 60 miles one way to a place that they very likely does not even know exists... I think not. 

You don't seem to think at all.  The crime rate already proves you're wrong.

Sounds like an easy town to cruise and i bet they have sheds and such where they store all kinds of goodies like boats or atv's etc - and then when you do steal it and drive it back to boise you don't have to worry about a local driving by and spotting his stuff :) 

And again - the crime rate shows i'm right.

If anything - this has been a perfect example of why people in the country are more inclined to prepare to protect themsevles. They're also more likely to have medical supplies on hand for injury or sickness, more likely to have larger freezers to store more food in case they get cut off from the outside world, more likely to have cash in their homes and more likely to have spare fuel on their property, more likely to have a generator for their house as well.

Sorry - this attempt to paint rural people as 'paranoid' has failed on you completely. As we have seen, there are GENUINE threats and regular crime and no police to help.  And people who only care about self defense have ONE gun. MAYBE 2.  If he's got 400 ti's not for defense - it's that he likes guns and likes shooting as do millions of other people. Guns are fun.

18 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Oh i don't think HE is making stuff up.  But your account doesn't ring true. And that area IS a high crime rate, not a low one as you suggested.

So if he is confronted by bad guys stealing his stuff or threatening him in robbery, he can't call the police for help.

Kid - if bad guys show up even you might wish you had a gun if you can't call 911.

Sounds like EXACTLY the kind of place bad guys would look for. Sleepy little town, out of the way, no police, neighbours are far apart so they can't see what  you're doing ..... it's pretty ideal.

And the crime rate does suggest i'm right.

You don't seem to think at all.  The crime rate already proves you're wrong.

Sounds like an easy town to cruise and i bet they have sheds and such where they store all kinds of goodies like boats or atv's etc - and then when you do steal it and drive it back to boise you don't have to worry about a local driving by and spotting his stuff :) 

And again - the crime rate shows i'm right.

If anything - this has been a perfect example of why people in the country are more inclined to prepare to protect themsevles. They're also more likely to have medical supplies on hand for injury or sickness, more likely to have larger freezers to store more food in case they get cut off from the outside world, more likely to have cash in their homes and more likely to have spare fuel on their property, more likely to have a generator for their house as well.

Sorry - this attempt to paint rural people as 'paranoid' has failed on you completely. As we have seen, there are GENUINE threats and regular crime and no police to help.  And people who only care about self defense have ONE gun. MAYBE 2.  If he's got 400 ti's not for defense - it's that he likes guns and likes shooting as do millions of other people. Guns are fun.

Not all rural people are paranoid. This one just happens to be. Your data has some serious issues. I am going to call BS on your source. Yes, i read it but I know small town Idaho and have lived in these towns unlike you. And when I look at the crime data, the numbers do not add up. One place that I lived has a population of 35 spread out over 40 miles of dirt road... And yet there is supposedly a crime every day... yeah, that's bogus.

Sorry but crime stats in general do not back up your theory that criminals would drive 60 miles one way to rob a house that from the outside looks rather modest and therefore nothing of value to steal. 60 miles.... that takes gas money and when you arrive at this seemingly random place and find a very modest trailer with a beat up 65 ford pickup... its doubtful that the payoff is worth it. Hence, why you would go to a posh suburb (5 miles away versus 60) where folks are a bit more relaxed.

I love how you think that a criminal is going to know the location of a small rural town. I have only met 3 people who know of this town's existence let alone where it is. And yet low life criminal is going to know exactly where to go... you have quite the sense of humor.

Edited by impartialobserver

• 5 months later...

Liberals preach tolerance until they remember the existence of rural areas. Then, they think of a backwards underclass of untermenschen because they fail to rationalize how someone could possibly not think like them.

I don't think all urbanites are evil or dumb, I just think they're more misled by popular media which is very prominent in those places, and generally people who depend more on services will be more leftist and pro-big government.

There are plenty of leftists in rural areas, too. Look at the state of Vermont and Northern Ontario. While cities like Calgary, Virginia Beach and Colorado Springs also have reputations for being right-leaning.

• Like 2

My family...on both sides...are mostly rural. They vote independently as far as I can tell. Liberal when its rational and Conservative when its rational. These days, nothing the Liberals do is rational.

I expect the same is true for US country folk.

From what I have observed from the rural parts of Idaho, Nevada, Utah, and montana... the rural types vote Republican because they are convinced that by doing so.. they are voting for second amendment rights, lower taxes, and their religion not encroached upon. Much like their urban counterparts.. they know next to nothing about the candidates, the issues, or the existing laws on that topic. 

• 5 weeks later...

Urban people are more exposed to new ideas, experiences, people, cultures etc.  They are also wealthier generally, and therefore more spoiled, entitled, and coddled (see others as victims).  Rural people are not as exposed to new ideas, experiences, people, cultures etc so they lean more to traditional values, but also dare I say sometimes ignorant.  They grow up and live less spoiled and coddled and more self-reliant (personal responsibility).

Both urban and rural people will be offended by what I just said.

• 3 weeks later...