FOX LIES internal emails SHOW

The true cost of Dominion’s devastating Fox News bombshells

In the Dominion versus Fox News defamation case, Fox is now trapped in an ever-worsening spiral of lies of its own creation. Time and time again, Fox allegedly trafficked in lies and falsehoods. And the result just might be a financial death penalty for the network.

Now armed with thousands of pages of texts and internal chats and emails by and between Fox hosts, producers and executives, Dominion seeks to convince a Delaware judge that a jury no longer needs to hear the case because, as a matter of law, there is no work left to be done to decide whether Fox defamed Dominion. On March 21, both sides will appear in court for oral arguments. As Dominion has argued, “It is the rare case to grant summary judgment of actual malice, but it is also the rare case where direct evidence of actual malice exists, as it does here.” 

And some legal experts agree: Dominion doesn’t just have the upper hand, it has the truth on its side. If Dominion is successful, then all that would be left to determine is the amount of damages that Dominion is entitled to receive. That’s where the numbers become astronomical. Dominion is seeking $1.6 billion in lost profits and reputational harm. But it’s also seeking punitive damages, which are not capped under New York state law and could also be in the billions of dollars. Punitive damages are intended to punish the wrongdoer and to deter others from repeating that egregious conduct. And a multi-billion-dollar punitive damages verdict would not just punish Fox News. It would send a ringing message to all media companies to keep themselves in check and uphold the truth. 

33.png

Apparently right wingers here have acceded to the FACT that FOX LIES.

Tucker Carlson Doesn't Think Much Of Donald Trump—Or His Audience

It’s long been clear that Fox News wasn’t buying the election denial it was selling. That much was made plain by the January 6 committee, which uncovered messages from hosts like Sean Hannity attempting to get Trump to put an end to the riot that day. But unsealed documents from Dominion Voting Systems’ defamation suit against the network further underscore the full extent to which Fox knowingly misled its viewers: Last month, a Dominion court filing revealed internal communications that showed everyone from leaders like Fox Corp. Chair Rupert Murdoch to on-screen personalities like Laura Ingraham mocking the Trumpworld election conspiracy theories they were promoting on air. And just this Tuesday, the day after Carlson tried to convince Americans that the insurrectionists were actually more like sightseers, a new trove of emails, texts, and deposition transcripts went public.

In the latest batch of findings, Murdoch describes Trump and Rudy Giuliani as increasingly mad and dangerous. Raj Shah, a senior vice president and Fox and former Trump administration official, described Trump lawyer Sidney Powell as MIND BLOWINGLY NUTS, but expressed concern that the network could lose viewers to Newsmax and One America News if they felt betrayed by Fox’s coverage. And then, of course, there’s Carlson, who not only acknowledged despising Trump personally, but suggested in a text that he didn’t see any benefit to him politically.

"We’re all pretending we’ve got a lot to show [for the last four years], because admitting what a disaster it’s been is too tough to digest," Carlson wrote in a January 4, 2021 exchange. But come on. There really isn’t an upside to Trump.

Nevertheless, Carlson and Co. remained publicly loyal to Trump—and for obvious reasons. It is not red or blue, as Murdoch put bluntly in a Dominion deposition, it is green. The network knew it was feeding its audience bullshit. But it kept doing so—at the expense of those very viewers, some of whom are now serving jail sentences for acts they committed in service of the conspiracy theories they were sold by the right-wing media—because it was good for business. The emails, texts, and deposition testimony speak for themselves, as a spokesman for Dominion, the voting system Trump and his allies claimed was rife with fraud, told NBC News. 

23.png
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:24 PM, BeaverFever said:

Notice how @Nationalist amd the rest of the far right crackpots have not posted on this thread in over 10 days and even when they did post, they tried to change tue subject to CNN, Biden’s laptop, Covid conspiracies, Wikipedia, etc.

Not one of them is able to discuss the actual points relevant to the topic of this thread which to recap are:

1) Even Fox doesn’t believe the election conspiracy lies that its pundits it peddles to the gullible classes.

2) Tucker and other pundits complaining that the news division should stop report that Biden won the election fair and square because it is “not what our viewers want to hear”. In all of their internal emails and texts not once do any of them indicate that they believe the election was actually stolen, they basically only argue that their viewers could move to other right wing outlets unless the Fox  “news” department starts reporting the fake news that their hyper-partisan nutjob audience already believes to he true b

3) And the icing on the cake, which is Tucker has hated Trump this whole time. 

If you want to get into politics in America, you have to put a D or an R after your name. Republicans live under the delusional fantasy that if you put letter R after your name, it makes you infallible. 

Worse still, Republicans have stood behind the cult of Trump, and allowed this selfish, narcissistic racist the ability to decide who passes the “Republican purity test” and who does not.  They simply cannot think for themselves.  

The Ugly Elitism of the American Right

Fox News will likely never face any real consequences for the biggest scandal in the history of American media. But will Republican voters finally understand who really looks down on them?

Loathing and Indifference

It’s time to talk about elitism.

Last month, I wrote that the revelations about Fox News in the Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit showed that Fox personalities, for all their populist bloviation, are actually titanic elitists. This is not the elitism of those who think they are smarter or more capable than others—I’ll get to that in a moment—but a new and gruesome elitism of the American right, a kind of hatred and disgust on the part of right-wing media and political leaders for the people they claim to love and defend. Greed and cynicism and moral poverty can explain only so much of what we’ve learned about Fox; what the Dominion filings show is a staggering, dehumanizing version of elitism among people who have made a living by presenting themselves as the only truth-tellers who can be trusted by ordinary Americans.

Unlike people such as Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity or Laura Ingraham, I have never told anyone—including you, readers of The Atlantic—anything I don’t believe. What we’re seeing at Fox, however, is lying on a grand scale, done with a snide loathing for the audience and a cool indifference to the damage being done to the nation. Fox, and the Republican Party it serves, for years has relentlessly patronized its audience, cooing to viewers about how right they are not to trust anyone else, banging the desk about the corruption of American institutions, and shouting into the camera about how the liars and betrayers must pay.

Fox’s stars did all of this while privately communicating with one another and rolling their eyes with contempt, admitting without a shred of shame that they were lying through their teeth. From Rupert Murdoch on down, top Fox personalities have admitted that they fed the rubes all of this red, rotting meat to keep them out of the way of the Fox limos headed to Long Island and Connecticut.

You can see this same kind of contemptuous elitism in Republicans such as Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, and Elise Stefanik. They couldn’t care less about the voters—those hoopleheads back home who have to be placated with ldiotic speeches against trans people and critical race theory.

These politicians were bred to be leaders, you see, and having to gouge some votes out of the hayseeds back home requires a bit of performance art now and then, a small price to pay so that the sons and daughters of Harvard and Yale, Princeton and Stanford, can live in the imperial capital and rule as is their due and their right. 

27.png

DeSantis Will Betray Ukraine for MAGA Votes

Both Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis have signaled their willingness to sell out Ukraine to the Kremlin, and the Russians have gleefully taken notice. How could this be happening in the party of Ronald Reagan?

State governors are not usually experts on foreign policy, but those who intend to run for president are advised to at least brush up on the subject. Alas, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis did not get that memo. Last week, DeSantis declared Russia’s massive invasion—the largest operation in Europe since the defeat of the Nazis—to be a mere “territorial dispute,” and said that the war is thus not “a vital American national strategic interest.” This was too much for many elected Republicans and even for the editorial board of The Wall Street Journal, who described the comments as “Ron DeSantis’s First Big Mistake.”

This shining opportunity to stumble came courtesy of the Fox News host Tucker Carlson, who a few weeks ago sent out questionnaires about Ukraine policy to a group of possible GOP presidential candidates. Carlson’s questions presented Republican contenders with a dilemma.

On the one hand, many faithful MAGA voters, who make up the core of the GOP base, are regular viewers of Carlson’s show, and his questionnaire was a kind of early beauty pageant, an opportunity for Republican candidates to take a quick walk down the runway in front of MAGA World. On the other hand, Carlson is an irresponsible demagogue who has been exposed in the Dominion-lawsuit filings as a relentless opportunist who will bamboozle his own audience for ratings.

In foreign policy, amateurish pandering to Tucker Carlson’s audience is dangerous. The Russian media are already crowing that the next American president will throw Ukraine to the wolves, a belief that could lead the Kremlin to take even greater risks than bumping into drones. Many elected Republicans and GOP presidential contenders—despite their constant fear of offending Trump—seem to recognize this, to their credit. If only Ron DeSantis were one of them.

Carlson selling out his country to Putin ?

20.png

Top Fox News executive worried audience was ‘furious’ after Trump loss

Fox News Media’s top executive worried the network had angered its viewers in the days following the 2020 election, and warned her leadership team it was losing control of the narrative being spun for its audience, newly revealed court documents show.

“This has to stop now,” Suzanne Scott, the network’s CEO wrote in an e-mail to Meade Cooper, who is charge of primetime programming at the network. “This is bad business and there clearly is a lack of understanding what is happening in these shows. The audience is furious and we are just feeding them materiel. Bad for business.”

The internal message was part of a slew of documents released by Dominion Voting Systems this week as part of its $1.6 Billion defamation lawsuit against Fox. The company is alleging the network knowingly aired false statements about its software from former president Trump and his allies following his election loss.

Internal communications between top hosts and Fox employees made public over the last month as part of the lawsuit show hosts and executives at the network throwing cold water on Trump’s election claims but worrying how fact-checks of those claims might anger its audience.

“Please get her fired,” top host Tucker Carlson wrote to fellow pundit Sean Hannity in one previously revealed text message about White House correspondent Jacqui Heinrich after she fact checked a tweet from Trump promoting some of the Dominion claims. “Seriously….What the f—? I’m actually shocked…It needs to stop immediately, like tonight. It’s measurably hurting the company. The stock price is down. Not a joke.” 

Just LIKE HERE, right wing viewers of Fox do not want to know the TRUTH.

So Fox lies to keep them on the hook.

Fox News CEO said correspondent’s fact-check of Trump’s election lies was ‘bad for business’

Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott sounded the alarm inside the company about the financial fallout that the right-wing network would suffer if it continued fact-checking then-President Donald Trump’s lies after the 2020 election, according to messages that became public on March 29th.

In one instance, Scott emailed Meade Cooper, executive vice president of prime time programming, and laced into correspondent Eric Shawn for fact-checking Trump.

Said Scott: "This has to stop now. This is bad for business and there is a lack of understanding what is happening in these shows. The audience is furious and we are just feeding them material. Bad for business. 

How the right wingers FEEL is more important than truth to Fox's bottom line. ?

Tuckers own emails show that he was actually mocking his audience yet many still stay faithful. That's really very sad, I almost feel sorry for them for being so played by someone they trusted. The fact they keep buying it makes me think Tucker isn't the real problem.

8 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Tuckers own emails show that he was actually mocking his audience yet many still stay faithful. That's really very sad, I almost feel sorry for them for being so played by someone they trusted. The fact they keep buying it makes me think Tucker isn't the real problem.

I used to think it was just ignorance from being lied to by Fox, but now that the lies have been definitively revealed, we know the ignorance is WILLFUL.

How Fox Chased Its Audience Down the Rabbit Hole

Dominion is now arguing in its seismic defamation lawsuit against Fox that the network had by then made its choice: It would amplify a lie to maintain its audience. Dominion is now seeking $1.6 billion in damages from the news network and its parent company in a defamation trial that — barring a settlement — is scheduled to start in Delaware this month. (Smartmatic is also suing, seeking $2.7 billion, with a trial date pending. In both cases, Fox is arguing that its actions are protected by the First Amendment.) Losses in either or both cases would represent a big hit to the balance sheet of the Fox Corporation, which reported a net income of $1.2 billion in 2022. But the case is about matters more existential than Fox’s bottom line.

Dominion’s pretrial court filings have already provided a rare look inside the company’s decision-making process throughout the election crisis that preceded the Jan. 6 insurrection. The president the network favored was promoting a lie — that Democrats were illegally seizing power through pervasive, systemic voter fraud — to stay in office. That lie excited and angered his supporters, and many of those supporters were also Fox’s core audience. Violence was in the air, the fate of democracy up for grabs. If ever there was a time for Fox News to live up to the journalistic promise still embedded in its name, it was then.

Knowing lies, reckless disregard for the truth — “actual malice” that is at the heart of the Dominion case. The court will decide if Fox crossed that line. But the newly available records show what drove Fox, and its powerful founder, to the very edge of that line, if not beyond: an audience that has reliably delivered influence and profits for decades. Now, in the age of social media and powerfully attractive disinformation campaigns, that audience could instantly move on to even headier stuff from even more adventurous competitors. 

3 hours ago, Aristides said:

Judge says Dominion can compel Carlson, Hannity and Piro to testify. Looks like Bartiromo may have compromised herself as well by maintaining Pelozi had an interest in Dominion while having no proof.

Let's hope Dominion doesn't settle out of court. When push comes to shove,  I'd love to see some of these alt-right propaganda zealots hung out to dry "a la" Alex Jones.

I'm into poetic justice.

7 hours ago, CrakHoBarbie said:

Let's hope Dominion doesn't settle out of court. When push comes to shove,  I'd love to see some of these alt-right propaganda zealots hung out to dry "a la" Alex Jones.

I'm into poetic justice.

I know what you are saying but given Fox's true relationship with the Trump phenomenon wouldn't you rather have them telling the Chuds what to think than some new internet demagogue who is potentially more dangerous?

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I know what you are saying but given Fox's true relationship with the Trump phenomenon wouldn't you rather have them telling the Chuds what to think than some new internet demagogue who is potentially more dangerous?

The chickens have already come to roost. There's Newsmax and OAN as well as a whole slew of am and FM radio alt-right halfwits.

But Fox dominates them all. And I don't think fox has the capability of ethical reporting. So I think that if the Dominion suit rightfully guts Fox, that would be "fair and balanced".

Edited by CrakHoBarbie

45 minutes ago, CrakHoBarbie said:

The chickens have already come to roost. There's Newsmax and OAN as well as a whole slew of am and FM radio alt-right halfwits.

But Fox dominates them all. And I don't think fox has the capability of ethical reporting. So I think that if the Dominion suit rightfully guts Fox, that would be "fair and balanced".

I am just trying to figure out how this will fall out.

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

FOX settles for $787.5 million.

Smartmatic must be rubbing their hands with glee.

Aww. I wish Dominion had held out to give the bastards a taste of their own medicine. Watching Fox people say terrible (and finally true) things about Fox would have been so much fun.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hodad said:

Aww. I wish Dominion had held out to give the bastards a taste of their own medicine. Watching Fox people say terrible (and finally true) things about Fox would have been so much fun.

I wonder if right wingers here will FINALLY admit that FOX LIES, after continually sticking to their guns in FACE of overwhelming evidence that FOX is NOT a legitimate News organization. AKA, they sacrifice truth for PROFIT.

• Sad 1

Andy Borowitz: Cash-Strapped Fox Forced to Sell Kevin McCarthy

Reeling from its punishing settlement agreement with Dominion Voting Systems, a newly cash-strapped Fox News Channel has been forced to sell Representative Kevin McCarthy.

Rupert Murdoch, who acquired the Speaker of the House just two months ago, expressed sadness that new financial realities had necessitated the sale.“I wish Kevin well,” the Fox owner said. “I hope whoever buys him finds as much use for him as I did.”

Even as many in Washington expressed skepticism about the House Speaker’s market value, Murdoch’s plans to sell McCarthy faced a significant roadblock in the form of the Georgia congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene.

I have no idea why Fox thinks they can sell Kevin McCarthy,” she told reporters.

“I own Kevin.” 

LMAO

On 4/18/2023 at 7:45 PM, robosmith said:

I wonder if right wingers here will FINALLY admit that FOX LIES, after continually sticking to their guns in FACE of overwhelming evidence that FOX is NOT a legitimate News organization. AKA, they sacrifice truth for PROFIT.

I'm sure they will just as fast as the left admitted that CNN lied after they got sued the last time for lying ;) Or nbc. :)

honest people know that all media lies, it's become a serious problem.

7 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

I'm sure they will just as fast as the left admitted that CNN lied after they got sued the last time for lying ;) Or nbc. :)

honest people know that all media lies, it's become a serious problem.

Just cause they made a mistake DOES NOT MEAN they LIED. Editing a recording is NOT LYING.

Did Zimmerman even WIN his lawsuit? LMAO

Let us know when FOX fires the night time hosts that LIED.