CBC's Covid Disinformation Reaches New Heights

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-deaths-canada-winter-2022-1.6637476

'Completely different patient population'

The weekly death rate from COVID-19 in Canada has skyrocketed, then dipped, in dramatic peaks and valleys since it began spreading in early 2020.

But while weekly deaths dropped into the double digits at several points in 2020 and 2021, the tally hasn't dipped below 137 throughout all of 2022. (The numbers are provided to the federal government by the provinces and territories, and no longer include Nunavut or the Northwest Territories.)

That shift follows provinces lifting public health restrictions, all while the Omicron family of sub-variants kept evolving to better evade our immune systems.

For nearly four months straight, weekly Canadian COVID-19 deaths have remained above 200 — and the latest available data shows there were 305 lives lost during the week of Oct. 16.

CBC News spoke to multiple physicians to get a sense of what's behind that trend, and who's dying of COVID-19 in late 2022. Canadians who are elderly, already battling multiple pre-existing health conditions, or undergoing immune-suppressing treatments such as chemotherapy all remain at a higher risk of dying. 

Some are winding up in critical care, while others are now being treated for their illnesses and eventually dying in other settings, including other hospital wards.

"It's a completely different patient population than the earlier waves," said Dr. Bram Rochwerg, a critical care physician with Hamilton Health Sciences in Hamilton, Ont.

He recounted the horror stories of COVID's early days: Young, healthy adults becoming incredibly sick and winding up in intensive care on mechanical ventilation, or even extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), the highest form of life support.

"We're not seeing those young, previously healthy, super-sick folks that we saw at the peak of Delta," he said. 

Suddenly covid was a youth-killer back in 2020?

Not even close. Covid was always killing the elderly with co-morbidities. 

CBC is trash. 

• Like 3

One can easily dig up the data from international resources, the count for under 20 was really, like really minor. They have to be watching them filmed non-stop to "have seen them at the peak".

More generally, in life you get what you're paying for. And that includes democracy of course; or a happy imitation of. You choose.

• Like 1

This is the breakdown of covid deaths by age in Canada now, heavily weighted towards older folks, so the CBC article was at least right about who was dying in 2022 and 2023....

ScreenShot2023-02-15at6_17_13PM.thumb.png.3ef8125c8c58932afa667da592848ce5.png

Geez, let's see if I have some proof that CBC was lying, and covid deaths didn't start affecting a "Completely different patient population" in 2022, when it 'started to' affect the elderly disproportionately...

CoviddeathsbyageinCanadaDec2021.thumb.png.e8260beff792a4e5e9aae68689be6343.png

To my eye, it looks like covid deaths were heavily weighted towards the 4% of our population that's over 80 before 2022, but hey, who am I to call the CBC and their toadies liars?

Edited by WestCanMan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

To my eye, it looks like covid deaths were heavily weighted towards the 4% of our population that's over 80 before 2022, but hey, who am I to call the CBC and their toadies liars?

Just another no account anti-vax tard with a bottomless bucket of hooey. No matter how you spin it young people died as well.

It's pretty weird how you accuse supporters of vaccine mandates of not caring about young people who died and now here you are seemingly disavowing that any even died at all...and for what? The opportunity to smear a little more hooey around.

You're as determined as Alex Jones.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eyeball said:

about young people who died

Let's examine the facts, shall we? They are all here, at our fingertips. In three years from 2020 to 23 we have 217 under 30 fatal Covid cases (and one can almost bet that some of those could be attributed to associated conditions but OK). That's about 70 per year. At the same time, in 2020 there were the total of 6792 deaths in this age group, of which Covid-related approximately 1%. What is one percent, among multiple other causes in this group? We can see this too:

Accidents: 48% Homicide: 13% Suicide: 11% Serious disease: 9% Congenital disease: 2% and guessing, overdose a large fraction of the other causes (17%)

Couldn't find specific number for the flu-related ones but I can almost bet my common sense that it wouldn't be far from the same number (~1 percent). Let's do it, see it for ourselves and why not, why couldn't we?

So, where is the big drama? Who was the operator of the show and when can we see the interview? Don't count on it though. "Because we can".

Edited by myata
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, myata said:

So, where is the big drama?

In the novelty of COVID - and the lack of preparedness for anything like it.

And now, due to hindsight, the fact it picked heaviest on older people with co-morbidities is treated like a lost opportunity.

It's almost as if a cabal of hardboiled economists engineered the virus to help rid society of a costly burden - I guess starving public health spending wasn't working fast enough. Is that just a co-incidence? Think about it.

Da-da-daaaaa!

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

In the novelty of COVID - and the lack of preparedness for anything like it.

Nope. Doesn't work like that. Not every overreaction, panic,  random, hectic pointless and ineffective decision can be written off for the novelty. But there's competence, preparedness, quality and responsibility. There was SARS, MERS, chicken flu and all sort of movies about the next pandemic. Public millions were spent happily on preparedness reports (and supposedly, measures). Nope, just doesn't fly. And there are examples right here in this world that managed to get to the same pretty much result cutting out the drama part, like all of it, 100%. So no, we need another, more exciting story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, myata said:

Nope. Doesn't work like that. Not every overreaction, panic,  random, hectic pointless and ineffective decision can be written off for the novelty. But there's competence, preparedness, quality and responsibility.

There was also a lot of disdain and contempt getting in the way of effectiveness, decision making, competence and especially the quality of the reaction.  I pointed out in March of 2020 it was obvious as the day as long that the magachud yahoo factor would result in America suffering the worst outcomes and I think it's pretty clear that was true in most overtly right-wing jurisdictions in the 'developed' west.

There were disparities in outcomes during the Spanish Flu as well that were all too often due to similar things. 

Edited by eyeball

18 hours ago, myata said:

In three years from 2020 to 23 we have 217 under 30 fatal Covid cases (and one can almost bet that some of those could be attributed to associated conditions but OK). That's about 70 per year. At the same time, in 2020 there were the total of 6792 deaths in this age group, of which Covid-related approximately 1%. What is one percent, among multiple other causes in this group? We can see this too:

TBH, it's probably 100% of them that had co-morbidities.

Do you remember when the MSM was pimping the fear as if everyone was dying of covid? They had to tell us about a "healthy 49 yr old" in England who died from covid because they had no examples from over here. There was a photo of the guy in the article though, he looked way more than 49 and he was obese. 

If any helthy kids died of covid here we'd have known about it, trust me. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, eyeball said:

There was also a lot of disdain and contempt getting in the way of effectiveness, decision making, competence and especially the quality of the reaction

Right. That didn't happen where the message was: a) clear b) consistent and most importantly honest, so that the trust was maintained throughout the most difficult initial period where there hasn't been much knowledge about the nature of this novel infection. Plus of course, high quality public health system, management and operation, another crucial component of public trust.

No you can't say with words what you have to show in the reality as real, actual result. That doesn't work. But here in Canada, we just aren't getting that point.

5 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

If any helthy kids died of covid here we'd have known about it, trust me

One sad take from this experience that just may come back (and keep coming) that no, an individual of clear objective disposition cannot trust and take for granted information from public authorities. That loss of trust is worth way more than all the billions thrown at the problem and ineffective and outdated institutions that were taken unawares despite decade(s) of preparation and public millions that can now be written off as wasted. Just recall the China travel story in the first days. Unsatisfactory. No pass.

And all the hectic activity that followed, complete with bizzare Emergencies, a pathetic at times ridiculous attempt at redeeming the fiasco of the first days.

Canada's public management system is seriously outdated, ineffective, inefficient while self-absorbed and grossly overpaid and cannot produce quality management decisions when they are required by the society.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, myata said:

Right. That didn't happen where the message was: a) clear b) consistent and most importantly honest,

None of this mattered a bit to at least 10 - 20% of the population that insisted on keeping it's head up it's ass about vaccine effectiveness.  It's been well established that thousands of Canadians were unnecessarily killed and injured because of this including innocent people due to the burden the anti-retards put on the health system.

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

None of this mattered a bit to at least 10 - 20% of the population that insisted on keeping it's head up it's ass about vaccine effectiveness. 

Long before quasi-vaccines the trust was ruined by hectic at times ostensibly clueless management. Did you notice the "early days, travel from China part"?

Here's how effective the jabs were at protecting kids:

CoviddeathsbyageinCanadaDec2021.thumb.png.17aa139a6d0d74fb172e9aa83d809bca.png

There was no vaccine for children under 12 for all of 2020 and all of 2021. The chart above is from Dec 10th, just 3 weeks after the Pfizer jab was approved for 5 yr olds. https://globalnews.ca/news/8332426/pfizer-vaccine-covid-children/

So the chart above shows that there were only 11 covid deaths among kids 0-11 after two full years worth of exposure to covid. 

CoviddeeathsbyageNov72022.thumb.png.f940349e76ba0c5f4ce4cc6a28b4b2bd.png

Between the time when the Pfizer jab was approved for small children (Nov 18 2021) and November 7 of the next year, just a bit under 1 full year, 30 more small children died "of covid".  

1) 11 deaths in 2 full years with no jab, 2) 30 additional deaths in just one year after the jab. 

I'll choose option 1, thanks.

Edited by WestCanMan
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

1) 11 deaths in 2 full years with no jab, 2) 30 additional deaths in just one year after the jab. 

I'll choose option 1, thanks.

I have to state right off, I didn't check the numbers but if they are valid, in a real democracy (see another topic) it would have been a subject of a serious, detailed and in depth public, including real expert (without 's' in the middle) inquiry. Maybe a blip in the statistics but how do we know until we know?

P.S. this is how fast hurray for your own good hype can become seriously problematic. "Because we can".

Edited by myata
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, myata said:

I have to state right off, I didn't check the numbers but if they are valid, in a real democracy (see another topic) it would have been a subject of a serious, detailed and in depth public, including real expert (without 's' in the middle) inquiry. Maybe a blip in the statistics but how do we know until we know?

P.S. this is how fast hurray for your own good hype can become seriously problematic. "Because we can".

Statista gets their numbers directly from Health Canada's infobase site. 

49 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

6 minutes ago, Goddess said:

10 influenza deaths

Nobody in the great system bothered to check why the count has doubled in a year (assuming correctness)? That's just too bad. What about those bonuses though?

13 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

This can be a matter of serious concern and I'm thinking of reporting it in an international professional forum. I'd like to know is there any prior context to this finding, including discussions, arguments, explanations including changes of reporting standard, errors, other inconsistencies? Or you just stumbled upon it. Thanks.

Edited by myata

On 2/15/2023 at 8:20 AM, WestCanMan said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-deaths-canada-winter-2022-1.6637476

Suddenly covid was a youth-killer back in 2020?

Not even close. Covid was always killing the elderly with co-morbidities. 

CBC is trash. 

Maybe they are somewhat right - lots of young people died but not because of COVID itself, but because of the COVID vaccination they received.

• Like 2