John Tory resigns

West

Tory shouldn’t have to resign over this. It was a consensual relationship and there’s no law in Ontario against consensual relationships in the workplace.  It’s sad, actually.  I think Tory is a good man who really tries to play down the middle politically with the best interests of the city at heart.  He’s giving into his fears over a media onslaught no doubt.  The Toronto Star was about to release a tell-all story to destroy him, so he headed it off to protect his family’s dignity.  The Toronto Star has become a terrible radical left rag that presents more editorializing and identity politics than news.  I used to enjoy their architecture articles and culture pieces.  It’s a shame.  

59 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Yet he resigned, and did so right away. No fuss, no muss. Bim bam boom.

I’d love to see the Inquisitors get punished at the polls.  A couple of city councillors piled on against Tory on Twitter.  Clearly individuals without class.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

33 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I’d love to see the Inquisitors get punished at the polls.  A couple of city councillors piled on against Tory on Twitter.  Clearly individuals without class.  

I dunno. Why'd he cave so fast, without a fight? Something smells fishy to me.

Reminds me of that time when Patrick Brown was suddenly "resigned". Next thing you know, in walked Doug. He walked right into the Premiership. Majority winner, landslide.

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I dunno. Why'd he cave so fast, without a fight? Something smells fishy to me.

Reminds me of that time when Patrick Brown was suddenly "resigned". Next thing you know, in walked Doug. He walked right into the Premiership. Majority winner, landslide.

Yeah that internal coup against Brown was weird.  He was seriously mistreated (defamed?  slandered?) by media and some not disinterested people.  Brown had to write a book to win his reputation back.  They like him in Brampton.  I find him to be milquetoast, but he was unfairly treated.  

1 minute ago, West said:

The lefty way tho seems tory is a lefty himself

Well this is the Canadian political crisis: There’s no real opposition.  Canada is leftist in all government institutions, the bureaucracy, most media, public education, and large businesses.  The game is using the slight of hand of progressive rhetoric while accumulating as much power and money as possible for oneself.  When the workers pipe up, they’re called racist or told to check their privilege.  Whoever charms the public with the most politically correct rhetoric wins.

I just find it grotesque listening to the phoney performative progressivism.  Everyone is made to bend the knee, attend the Pride Parade, publicly decry their privilege, and so on.  That’s most workplaces today.  

16 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Like Doug Ford claims to be a Conservative . . . :)

Yes, and John Diefenbaker, Bob Stanfield, Bill Davis Joe Clark, Peter Lougheed and Brian Mulroney.

(But definitely NOT like my Avatar, whom I loved dearly but he was a grit. ?)

Edited by Queenmandy85

19 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Everyone is made to bend the knee, attend the Pride Parade,

Nobody is made to attend a Pride Parade, but you certainly can if you want to. It's a free country.

When were you made to bend a knee? 

Edited by Queenmandy85

31 minutes ago, Legato said:

Tory always drifted with a favourable wind towards whatever suited him best. Shook hands with him once, was like shaking hands with a wet fish.

You shook hands with him once. You may have been the 88th handshake for him that day. Try shaking 100 hands a day, every day and you will learn not to grip too hard or it will cripple you.

The "favourable wind" you speak of is responding to what people want. That is what a government is supposed to do.

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

ou shook hands with him once. You may have been the 88th handshake for him that day. Try shaking 100 hands a day, every day and you will learn not to grip too hard or it will cripple you.

Been there done that nor am I crippled

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

he "favourable wind" you speak of is responding to what people want. That is what a government is supposed to do.

Which part of "whatever suited him best" do you not understand.

On 2/11/2023 at 1:16 PM, Zeitgeist said:

Tory shouldn’t have to resign over this. It was a consensual relationship and there’s no law in Ontario against consensual relationships in the workplace.  It’s sad, actually.  I think Tory is a good man who really tries to play down the middle politically with the best interests of the city at heart.  He’s giving into his fears over a media onslaught no doubt.  The Toronto Star was about to release a tell-all story to destroy him, so he headed it off to protect his family’s dignity.  The Toronto Star has become a terrible radical left rag that presents more editorializing and identity politics than news.  I used to enjoy their architecture articles and culture pieces.  It’s a shame.  

Muckraking by the Star, but Tory broke the rules

29 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I don't understand what you are referring to. You'll have to cut me some slack. Not the brightest bulb and all that.?

He would follow whatever political tenure, position etc made the most money and gave him the most power. The handshake told me the lack of commitment or "I'm only here for myself screw you".

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

You shook hands with him once. You may have been the 88th handshake for him that day. Try shaking 100 hands a day, every day and you will learn not to grip too hard or it will cripple you

Shaking hands was one of the things that put Trump off runnning for public office for years. He was more focused on the germ angle, though. 

• Like 1