Canada: A Civilised State -Really?

On 2/10/2023 at 7:15 AM, Zeitgeist said:

There’s an overall sense that our Charter rights aren’t properly protected and governments are micromanaging how we think and live in unprecedented ways.  The pandemic illustrated the overreach to many citizens.

I...

I remember when some people claimed that the very idea of a Charter Rights enshrined in our Constitution was the end of Canada itself.

Thatcher held her nose and the Queen (yes, that one) signed it. 

Zeitgeist, you now claim that Charter rights are not properly protected.

WTF?

Edited by August1991

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

I remember when some people claimed that the very idea of a Charter Rights enshrined in our Constitution was the end of Canada itself.

Thatcher held her nose and the Queen (yes, that one) signed it. 

Zeitgeist, you now claim that Charter rights are not properly protected.

WTF?

It’s true.  The NDP wanted property rights left out, so yeah, much easier for Canada to slide into communism than the US.  I think if the government overreach paternalism and handouts get too extreme, Canada could break up along those lines.  Resource development and individual rights are under pretty heavy assault in Canada.

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

1. Governance.

2. Small areas are more governable.

3. What stats?

Stats?

Random link: https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/gdp-per-capita/

Or wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

All countries in the top 10 have small population (under 10 million or so).

====

Canada is successful because it is a federal State. It has two official federal languages but no official federal cultural. It is a multicultural State.

In Canada, provinces have sole jurisdiction over education. I wish that this were more clear about health and many other issues too.

I would prefer a sovereign Quebec within a Federal Republic of Canada - sorta like Brexit.

Or, Norway's arrangement with the EU. 

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, August1991 said:

====

Canada is successful because it is a federal State.

Canada is successful because its small which is why I say we should follow that trend locally.

I would prefer a sovereign Quebec within a Federal Republic of Canada - sorta like Brexit.

Or, Norway's arrangement with the EU.

I would prefer a semi-autonomous bioregion on a planet that has its shit together and where everyone basically does unto everyone else as they'd have done unto themselves - but no you can't take your bioregion with you if you leave.

That's the funny thing about these separatist and exiters, they never really think these things through - where are thinking of going?

Edited by eyeball

10 hours ago, August1991 said:

Stats?

Random link: https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/gdp-per-capita/

Or wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

====

Canada is successful because it is a federal State. It has two official federal languages but no official federal cultural. It is a multicultural State.

In Canada, provinces have sole jurisdiction over education. I wish that this were more clear about health and many other issues too.

I would prefer a sovereign Quebec within a Federal Republic of Canada - sorta like Brexit.

Or, Norway's arrangement with the EU. 

What does that look like ?, i have had this discussion with of a few Quebecor's already, in your mind what does Quebec look like as a sovereign nation, does it have all it's borders intact, i ask becasue it would split Canada into two how does that work, How much Canadian debt is Quebec going to assume? what currency is going to be used? I mean it is nice to dream that it would be as simple as the PM announcing Quebec has gone it's own way, but in it's current form it can't survive on it's own...what is the plan there other than to raise taxes?. Quebec separation is nothing more than a dream, another way to squeeze a little bit more from Canada. Quebec thinks it is holding all the cards, what cards do you think Quebec has over Canada that could make this Brexit work. other than some disgruntled citizens that does not like the Canadian union... which is a common theme with a lot of provinces lately only they have cards, Quebec does not. 

Do you really think Canada is going to allow Quebec to separate?

12 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Sometimes it seems half of us would happily show Quebec the door.

I think it stems from all the bending over back wards we do for Quebec, when other provinces do not get the same consideration.

Quebec is as Canadian as any other province, it's not going anywhere, Canada will not allow it, and there is nothing in it for Quebec other than some dream or being free from English Canada, that will cost them more than it will for us...And like all Canadians they like everything freedom, climate change, social programs, until they are handed the bill, then the shut up and sit down. 

7 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I think it stems from all the bending over back wards we do for Quebec, when other provinces do not get the same consideration.

Quebec is as Canadian as any other province, it's not going anywhere, Canada will not allow it, and there is nothing in it for Quebec other than some dream or being free from English Canada, that will cost them more than it will for us...And like all Canadians they like everything freedom, climate change, social programs, until they are handed the bill, then the shut up and sit down. 

Other than butter, does Quebec contribute anything to the rest of the country?

On 2/12/2023 at 1:37 PM, Zeitgeist said:

You don’t read posts.  The answers are in my prior posts and I’m not repeating myself.  If you don’t think my posts sufficiently answer your questions, that’s fine.  I generally don’t agree with your views, which is fine.

Don't feed the trolls.

16 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

You can’t get out of an Ontario hospital in less than 4 hours.  Generally you will sit in triage overnight.  After several hours, hopefully, a doctor will see you for 5 minutes.

If you need an MRI because of possible terminal disease, just hope that the disease doesn’t advance too far before your scheduled appointment months later.

I’m sure if you’re having a heart attack you’ll be seen to fairly quickly, so the next time you’re very sick and your family doctor’s office is closed, have a heart attack and you’ll be seen to at the hospital right away.  

I'm not sure about Ontario but in BC you can go to a private clinic and pay a few hundred dollars to get an MRI.

Having that MRI in hand will get you on the waiting list for whatever procedures you need done ahead of those who are still waiting for their "free" MRI (what's the cost of waiting... not really so "free" if it costs you your health imo).

Essentially that makes it a two-tiered system, but we all know that there's even a higher tier for Trudeau et al. "STEP ASIDE PEONS! THE ROYAL ONE COMETH!"

• Like 1