Canada passes controversial Bill C-11 (Trudeau's unacceptable views bill)

West

Can you provide us with a witness, meeting note, brief or amendment that specifically says what you just said; Trudeau now regulates views he doesn't like.

You should be able to come up any number of these given that;

Between the House of Commons and Senate, there have been approximately 218 witnesses, 43 meetings, 119 briefs and 73 proposed amendments, said Rodriguez.

All of this activity involving what must have taken the collective actions of hundreds upon hundreds perhaps thousands of individuals was done all so Trudeau could regulate views he doesn't like?

Wow. It sure must be fun to be a dictator.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

"aiming to bring increasingly popular and profitable streaming giants such as Netflix, Crave, Spotify and Amazon Prime Video under regulation by the CRTC, in a similar way to broadcasters on television and radio. These changes to the Broadcasting Act would result in online platforms having to spend millions of dollars investing in Canadian content and creators."

"Bill C-11 is focused on ensuring social media and streaming giants are subjected to Canadian content requirements and regulations comparable to traditional broadcasters, and as a result promote and pay their fair share towards Canadian creators."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/what-is-going-on-with-bill-c-11-the-government-s-online-streaming-legislation-1.6249113

• Like 1

Yes, this is about protecting Canadian Culture and Jobs just as Mulroney, Trudeau and every sane PM did in the past.

I listened to the YouTuber and I don't agree with what he said.

It's weird how people want to protect Canadian jobs but only sometimes:

-Oilfields Workers
-Lumber Industry Workers
-Fishers
-Dairy Farmers
-Manufacturing Jobs
-Fast Food
-Actors and Creators

Why are some of these jobs worth protecting more than others ?

47 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes, this is about protecting Canadian Culture and Jobs just as Mulroney, Trudeau and every sane PM did in the past.

-Oilfields Workers
-Lumber Industry Workers
-Fishers
-Dairy Farmers
-Manufacturing Jobs
-Fast Food
-Actors and Creators

Because it's a bill Trudeau's government brought in.  If a Conservative government brought in the same bill, it'd be greeted with open arms by the naysayers here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

-Oilfields Workers
-Lumber Industry Workers
-Fishers
-Dairy Farmers
-Manufacturing Jobs
-Fast Food
-Actors and Creators

There's always a string with the looney tune liberals. 

In this case it's to clamp down on views they don't like... no information from outside Canada to be allowed... sorta like a communist nation

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Because it's a bill Trudeau's government brought in.  If a Conservative government brought in the same bill, it'd be greeted with open arms by the naysayers here.

We should be able to subscribe and listen to content we like free from government manipulation and control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

-Oilfields Workers
-Lumber Industry Workers
-Fishers
-Dairy Farmers
-Manufacturing Jobs
-Fast Food
-Actors and Creators

You need to study C11.  I don't think you have much idea of what it is all about.  You seem ok with have the CRTC bureaucracy controlling the internet in certain ways but you don't understand what it is all about. 

Considering how poorly this government has managed many departments, it is surprising you would trust them with managing anything on the internet.   We need to dig deeper into this bill to learn exactly what it means before making too many broad nonsensical comments.

Just one small example of government mismanagement is the pandemic hotels.  The government spent millions of dollars renting hotels for quarantine and many times they were hardly used.  Try Google and see how many millions dollars they spend on one hotel in Calgary for a small number of people.  Yet you trust them with everything.  

They are also under the microscope for giving contracts worth a vast amount of money to McKinsey corporation for advice.  Trudeau writes cheques like money is water.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, dialamah said:

What in the bill is preventing that, because I don't see it.  

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/pl/charter-charte/c11_2.html

You will now have to request a permit from the loonies at the CRTC. So guys like Ben Shapiro or Dave Rubin will have to ensure their content aligns with the views of the government in order to be seen on YouTube in Canada. 

Communist type nonsense

Edited by West

"Throughout its efforts to update Canada's Broadcasting Act regime, the government has remained adamant that Bill C-11 is focused on ensuring social media and streaming giants are subjected to Canadian content requirements and regulations comparable to traditional broadcasters, and as a result promote and pay their fair share towards Canadian creators.

This insistence has come in the face of alarms being sounded by certain industry voices, the Conservative party, and platforms such as YouTube, Google and Meta, which have suggested that the Liberal proposal could have knock-on effects for user-generated content and content creators, as well as free-speech implications. In their efforts to lobby against this bill, some of the tech giants have gone to great lengths.

For example, this fall, YouTube ran a campaign warning users who earn money making videos about how the legislation could impact their livelihoods. 

YouTube, TikTok say streaming bill fails to protect creators

Critics have also made the charge that, due to the "discoverability" provisions that would empower the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to compel platforms to promote Canadian content, it's a bill aimed at censoring what gets seen online."

Online streaming Bill C-11: What you need to know | CTV News

I see two serious general problems with this:

1.  Government control of what platforms put on the internet with the purpose of promoting Canadians content.  This means content will not be judged on its merit, but rather platforms will be forced to promote it even if it is sub-standard and of low quality.  This is not the kind of entertainment Canadians should be forced to watch and pay for.  Also small individual creators could be harmed with the bureaucracy and interference by the government.

2.  There is still a belief by many that this bill also intends to censor and control what individuals post on social media or on youtube.  If this is the case, it could be a violation of freedom of expression.  When governments are given a chance to control media, the bureaucrats doing it might be given the freedom to do whatever they think.  This is dangerous censorship.  

The big problem is that the government views the internet as a broadcast medium when its not that at all.  It is more of a communications medium between people.   

How can social media even be considered as broadcasting similar to radio and television.  It is not broadcasting.  The government has no business in regulating or controlling what people post on social media. 

This bill is a revolutionary change in that it brings the internet under the authority of the CRTC as if it is a public broadcaster.  Authoritarians like this idea of controlling the communications and thoughts of the population.  I would not be too sure that this is not the direction this bill is heading.

Edited by blackbird

"Forcing or attempting to force YouTube, TikTok or other platforms to prioritize Canadian content may be well intentioned, but it is naïve… Forcing people to view content because it’s Canadian does not encourage people to like that content. It is more likely, I feel, to breed negative perceptions of Canadian content from the user," testified digital creator Stewart Reynolds, perhaps better known online as Brittlestar.

"If they know a video is being shown to them primarily because it’s Canadian and not because it is what the user is searching for, it can make the video seem inferior regardless of whether it is or not. It’s like going to a restaurant with corn content or corncon rules. Even though you order the Alberta sirloin, you receive a bowl of corn. Good, perhaps, but not what you wanted," Reynolds told the Senate committee."

The neo-Marxist mentality is that they think if they force feed the population something, it will be accepted.  People are not that stupid.  They will know when something is of inferior quality and will reject it. This could mean so-called Canadian content will be judged more harshly because it is being force fed on the people.

I know there are movies that are made in other countries like Germany, the U.S.A., and Europe that are of incredible quality.  Nobody should be forced to watch something of poor quality just because it comes from one's own country.  Good quality movies can come from anywhere in the world and the citizens should not be stopped from being able to choose what they want to watch.

An unforgettable movie in my opinion was "As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me".  Produced by a German company and using a very large number of staff.  The list of people who produced it is endless.   It is in the German language but has English subtitles so is still easy to watch and understand.

As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me ( 2001) - YouTube

Edited by blackbird

31 minutes ago, blackbird said:

"Forcing or attempting to force YouTube, TikTok or other platforms to prioritize Canadian content may be well intentioned, but it is naïve… Forcing people to view content because it’s Canadian does not encourage people to like that content. It is more likely, I feel, to breed negative perceptions of Canadian content from the user," testified digital creator Stewart Reynolds, perhaps better known online as Brittlestar.

"If they know a video is being shown to them primarily because it’s Canadian and not because it is what the user is searching for, it can make the video seem inferior regardless of whether it is or not. It’s like going to a restaurant with corn content or corncon rules. Even though you order the Alberta sirloin, you receive a bowl of corn. Good, perhaps, but not what you wanted," Reynolds told the Senate committee."

The neo-Marxist mentality is that they think if they force feed the population something, it will be accepted.  People are not that stupid.  They will know when something is of inferior quality and will reject it. This could mean so-called Canadian content will be judged more harshly because it is being force fed on the people.

I know there are movies that are made in other countries like Germany, the U.S.A., and Europe that are of incredible quality.  Nobody should be forced to watch something of poor quality just because it comes from one's own country.  Good quality movies can come from anywhere in the world and the citizens should not be stopped from being able to choose what they want to watch.

An unforgettable movie in my opinion was "As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me".  Produced by a German company and using a very large number of staff.  The list of people who produced it is endless.   It is in the German language but has English subtitles so is still easy to watch and understand.

As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me ( 2001) - YouTube

Thank you.. why criticism of Trudeau is always dismissed by the loonies is beyond me

26 minutes ago, West said:

Thank you.. why criticism of Trudeau is always dismissed by the loonies is beyond me

It's not loony at all to laugh at, mock and dismiss ridiculous criticism and critics when they habitually ask for it.

Take your ridiculous habit of comparing Hitler and Trudeau for example.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

It's not loony at all to laugh at, mock and dismiss ridiculous criticism and critics when they habitually ask for it.

It's not ridiculous at all... we've already seen the loonies work to silence, censor, bully, intimidate people into submission. Just another attempt by the loonie tunes to silence dissent under the guys of something else.. 

2 minutes ago, West said:

It's not ridiculous at all... we've already seen the loonies work to silence, censor, bully, intimidate people into submission.

What loonies exactly, what kind of training do they receive and who pays them and so on.

You never stop to think about any of the things you say do you?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blackbird said:

How can social media even be considered as broadcasting similar to radio and television.  It is not broadcasting.  The government has no business in regulating or controlling what people post on social media. 

This bill is a revolutionary change in that it brings the internet under the authority of the CRTC as if it is a public broadcaster.  Authoritarians like this idea of controlling the communications and thoughts of the population.  I would not be too sure that this is not the direction this bill is heading.

The way you articulated here is quite reasonable. The problem with the Internet is it is both tiny and massive.  I can use it to make a video for you and no one else, or a public video for five people, or Netflix can use it to make billions.

The government has to do a better job of making it clear that freedom of expression is okay, well it aims for the goals that we mostly support..

9 hours ago, eyeball said:

To be honest, the time for us indulging posters who make these ridiculous comparisons is in the past. They need their own Island at this point, or better yet to leave the forum.

They're uncompromising, ubwilling to engage in real discussion, and uninteresting especially.

5 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

The government has to do a better job of making it clear that freedom of expression is okay, well it aims for the goals that we mostly support..

Really???????????   So you actually hold the Orwellian belief that government has the right to tell me that I have the right to freedom of expression?

Well, thank you sir for being so benevolent and allowing me to believe I receive this freedom from the government.  I didn't know I needed their permission to have it.